UPDATE: Power-Con 2014 cancelled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE: Power-Con 2014 cancelled

UPDATE: Power-Con 2014 has been officially cancelled.

Originally posted by JVS3
    We appreciate all the kind words and messages of support everyone has shared on behalf of Power-Con. Unfortunately, our goal for advanced sales was not reached which has resulted in cancellation of our 2014 event.

Refunds for tickets, vendor tables, and Goat Man preorders will begin to be issued this weekend and will be completed within 60 days of this announcement. You do not need to contact us to request your refund, it will be automatically processed within the 60 days. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the actual refund process, please contact us via our website.

We’re sorry we were not able to offer Goat Man at Power-Con. MattyCollector will be offering Goat Man at San Diego Comic-Con and later this year via their online store. Much like in previous years with the travelling exclusive, we suspect Goat Man will be fairly easy to obtain online.

The He-Man and She-Ra fan base is a passionate one. It has an amazing online community and we hope it will live on for decades to come. With each new year comes new opportunities for the MOTU and POP brands as well as for the fans. If a new form of entertainment arises for He-Man and She-Ra, such as a movie or cartoon, Power-Con will return and again strive to create the experience that was enjoyed by so many of you at Power-Con in the three previous years.

Please subscribe to our Newsletter so you won’t miss out on important updates, including any news about a possible future convention. Click here to sign up today!

Thank you to all the attendees, vendors, exhibitors, press, volunteers, and talent that have supported Power-Con for the last three years and we wish you a good journey!

Original post:

It looks like the New York Power-Con 2014 may get cancelled this year if not enough tickets are sold in advance.

Originally posted by JVS3
    He-Man and She-Ra Fans,

For the past three years Power-Con was hosted in the Los Angeles area with an abundance of guests, enthusiastic attendees, and many happy vendors. But for the people organizing and running Power-Con, the show is a labor of love that has always operated with the goal of breaking even on expenses, even with the entire staff working on a volunteer and unpaid basis. So when the LA show peaked in attendance, we knew we had to look at other possible venues to continue the event. Countless fans asked every year for Power-Con to come to New York. Therefore, in an effort to help the show continue and give fans what they asked for, the decision was made to take this year's show to the city that never sleeps. Unfortunately, the staff at Power-Con is coming to you today with a heavy heart to announce that the number of advanced tickets sold are 28% of the total needed to pay for the current convention expenses.

The vast majority of He-Man and She-Ra creative talent live in and around the Los Angeles area. Getting talent to New York adds additional high cost factors that were not present in the LA location, which is why we forewarned fans that doing a travelling show would result in Power-Con having a smaller guest list, akin to other brand-specific traveling conventions. Our current guest list for the show is final: Brian Dobson, the voice of the 200X Skeletor; Dave Bullock, Mike Young He-Man storyboard artist; Djordje Djokovic, sculptor and graphic designer who has worked on various He-Man projects; the Four Horsemen toy design group; Paul Kupperberg, original DC Comics He-Man writer; and Earl Norem, famed He-Man artist. We also have a number of great vendors already committed to the show.

If you want to come and experience an intimate gathering with fellow fans of He-Man and She-Ra, and interact with some of the talent who helped bring these brands to life, please purchase your advanced tickets by Friday, July 11, 2014.

The bottom line:
    • If we reach 100% of the number of advanced ticket sales needed by Friday, July 11, 2014 (one week from today), we will be able to proceed with the payment that is required by our host hotel. Power-Con, like many conventions, requires expensive up-front costs including hotel room fees, meeting room rentals, audio/visual equipment rentals, and other related expenses. New York is especially expensive.
    • If we do not reach 100%, the convention will be canceled and we will absorb the financial loss already dedicated to the project. Pre-ordered tickets, Goat Man orders, and vendor table sales will then be refunded over a 60 day period following the July 11th deadline. We are not able to refund other related travel expenses and deeply apologize.
    We hope a cancellation does not occur. We want Power-Con to reach its goal and go on as planned in New York. Please spread the word to any fans you may know, especially those who live in and around the New York City area. We at Power-Con still hope to put on a great show in New York that mirrors the fun of the previous three years in Los Angeles!

On a positive note, if we meet our goal by Friday, July 11th:
    • We will begin looking at the possibility of adding additional guests to the convention. The more tickets sold past 100%, the more guests we can pursue.
    • All advanced ticket holders will receive a free art print illustrated by Chris Faccone.

Please click here to pre-order your tickets today!
    Deadline: Friday, July 11, 2014

Power-Con is slated to take place on September 13 & 14, 2014 at the New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott. Advance 2-day tickets (weekend passes) are $65.00 each. Day passes for Saturday or Sunday are $40.00 each. For complete information, visit the Power-Con website at: http://www.thepower-con.com/ Thank you for your support!
    “We change people through conversation, not through censorship." ― Jay Z

This is unfortunate news for all the fans who want to go. They still have a week to get more sales, so some people on the fence may buy tickets now. I went to Power-Con three times in California. I personally think California is a better location then New York for the con, as its a nice sunny vacation spot with lots of attractions. Plus, most of the talent live there. I also think dropping the ThunderCats and Ninja Turtles can't be helping ticket sales this year. I still don't understand why they did that. From what I saw last year, nearly half the fans were TMNT fans.
    "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

If I were able to go, I'm not 100% sure I would. I would LOVE to meet Earl Norem and the horsemen, but the folks behind the event, over the last year have REALLY left a sour taste in my mouth and dampened my enthusiasm for such an event I really don't want to give my patronage to them, I wonder if many fans feel the same way, esp since the opening sentence (might not be intentional) feels passive-aggressively blaming the fans for sales being bad. Also the date is a month before NYCC, and new york is an EXPENSIVE city to stay in. this is poor planning. i

Comment

And another problem is: it's too close to the NYCC, so there is a BIG ISSUE with which one do you go to? I for one am one who having a booth and preparing for that truly affects my decision. Although I was planning on possibly at least making it on. Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by Kumkani View Post
          ...but the folks behind the event, over the last year have REALLY left a sour taste in my mouth and dampened my enthusiasm for such an event I really don't want to give my patronage to them, I wonder if many fans feel the same way......
          I definitely feel the same way. I really had no interest in having my money go to a person like Staples (based on what we've witnessed online the last two years), but I was still contemplating going because of my love of MOTU & my kids love of TMNT. The second it was confirmed any TMNT involvement was out, that sealed the deal for me.
          Last edited by Croc-O-Bite!; 07-04-2014, 07:48 PM.

Comment

i dont like kicking someone when they're down, and i'd love for any form of he-man convention to succeed. but the signs have been there for a while. the alienation of a lot of fans, the demands from higher ups and the moronic decision to remove thundercats and tmnt. it may be close to the bone but he-man doesnt have the credibility to rivial bot-con or joe-con hell even morphacon on its own

a lot more personal stuff to do with me and power con could be covered here but its not relative to the main discussion. it'll be interesting to see the fall out from this

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Thundercats and TMNT were REMOVED from Power-Con? Whose bonehead decision was that?!

Scoot Nutlick must wanted to make sure there were enough vendor tables for his Mo-Larr, Spector and Baby Skeletors.

"So when the LA show peaked in attendance, we knew we had to look at other possible venues to continue the event."

LOL - so you move the event across the country???? You find an alternative venue in the same STATE.
            “Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
            Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

the move came from the idea to get more international fans to the con. its still damn expensive but its cheaper to NY from the uk than LA. the first power con i priced at £1200 for flights and hotel before con tickets, food and spending money

Comment

• GREP-A-TOR
                GREP-A-TOR commented
                Editing a comment
                But isn't the Convention in Europe just as good as the one here? I know there is a robust He-Man community there and their convention has been going on for just as long - or am I mistaken?

• deano_ue
                deano_ue commented
                Editing a comment
                from what i hear its extremely good, ive never been because truthfully i dont know as much about it. it doesnt seem to be advertised as much plus getting to germany from northern ireland isnt that cheap either.

• Jukka
                Jukka commented
                Editing a comment
                GREP-A-TOR: The European MOTU Convention has been going for some 10 years.

Although I live in CA, honestly I just cannot be in the same place where that TG jerk is roaming and seeing his ass lickers praising his awful deeds! However, I wish one day we get to celebrate MOTU where honesty and true honor are also present.

Comment

Is this the one organized by Val and the ORG? IF so I am VERY HAPPY to see it is going so poorly for them. They deserve it!
                "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

Originally posted by Draego-Man View Post
                  Is this the one organized by Val and the ORG? IF so I am VERY HAPPY to see it is going so poorly for them. They deserve it!
                  yeah that's the same one.

Comment

Well good! Karma is a bitch!
                    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

• Croc-O-Bite!
                      Croc-O-Bite! commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I couldn't help but think the exact same thing!

Dropping Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a big mistake. Especially when the Ninja Turtles have a brand new movie coming out this summer. Seriously... the Ninja Turtles are from New York City! Why would you not capitalize on that when your convention is being held in New York City? That should have been a no-brainer for whoever was marketing Power-Con. I would love to know the real reason behind dropping Thunder Cats and Ninja Turtles from Power-Con. Did Viacom and Warner Brothers tell them that they didn't want them using their characters to promote Power-Con without paying licensing fees? Or did Val and company just want to cater to Mattel this year? Does anyone know?
                    “We change people through conversation, not through censorship." ― Jay Z

Comment

• Draego-Man
                      Draego-Man commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The answer is because Val is an idiot. He thinks only his ideas are good ideas, and so he listens to no one. Now he is getting what he deserves. I hope this throws him into financial ruin.

so whats the reaction to this been on other aspects of the web. truthfully i dont think many on non he-man sites would really give a damn

Comment

Originally posted by deano_ue View Post
                      so whats the reaction to this been on other aspects of the web. truthfully i dont think many on non he-man sites would really give a damn
                      I think the only "non-fans" who would care would be some of the vendors who were going to sell stuff at the Con, and family members of attendees who were hoping for a NYC vacation. In truth, Power-con sells more than just He-Man stuff, but the focus has been placed on MOTU this year and so that is going to attract less people. If they had tried to attract Thunder Cats and Ninja Turtles fans again, I think they would have sold more tickets.

From what I read at the Org this morning, Val dropped Turtles and Cats because it was too expensive to pay all of the voice talent from those properties. He said that Power-Con wasn't turning a large profit because the actors are very expensive to book. That is why he decided to focus on just MOTU this year. It was all to save money. In the end, I think that was a bit short-sighted, as you have to spend money to make money.
                      “The internet treats censorship as a malfunction and routes around it." ― John Perry Barlow

Comment

Your last two sentences reminds me of a certain toy company's tactics, now who could that be I wonder????

Comment

Originally posted by RoboSteveo View Post
                          From what I read at the Org this morning, Val dropped Turtles and Cats because it was too expensive to pay all of the voice talent from those properties. He said that Power-Con wasn't turning a large profit because the actors are very expensive to book. That is why he decided to focus on just MOTU this year. It was all to save money. In the end, I think that was a bit short-sighted, as you have to spend money to make money.
                          Nothing new when you're talking about Scott Staples... or is it Val Neitlich?

Maybe he should also get a TURDOMETER running so that people could see how far they are from reaching the green light.

Pretty cool huh?
                          Last edited by barrasco; 07-07-2014, 03:24 PM.
                          “Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate." ― Ron Jeremy

Comment

Daniel Benedict (The creator of Castle Grayskull-Man) has made a video promoting it:

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanaizor View Post
                              Daniel Benedict (The creator of Castle Grayskull-Man) has made a video promoting it:

"... you could be walking along and all of a sudden you'd have your foot on Scott Neitlich's ass."

Now that's something I'd pay for.
                              “Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate." ― Ron Jeremy

Comment

"....you could run into the people who did the voices for the Thundercats."

Nope, no Thundercats or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
                                Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                                  Captain Atkin commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Not this year. That is a real shame. I shared a shuttle bus with one of the actors last year on my way to Power-Con, and she was super funny and sweet. All of the voice actors from ThunderCats are great people. I loved hearing their stories about working on the show.

Part of me really doesn't want power con cancelled mainly for the fans. But it just seems more and more that nothing in this line or fandom with out people begging or making other feel guilty for not paying out

Comment

Now as predicated, here comes Pixel-Dan for his turn:

Comment

• Mechanizor
                                    Mechanizor commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    I wonder if people are losing interest as well! I've heard there were some issues last time with how the convention has been organized and directed, and there were also some unhappy guests!

• Draego-Man
                                    Draego-Man commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    You mean like how they excluded Emiliano?

I think what is happening is that the piper is being paid. Val is a jerk and people are sick of his crap.

• Mechanizor
                                    Mechanizor commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Actually I was talking about one the guests from MYP 200X cartoon, I think he was either the producer/writer or the director, he was pissed off because the noise from the other room was interrupting his event and Val and his organizers didn't do much about it or something in that nature, I honestly forgot the details!

so its deadline day, anyone expecting a last minute serge or will this be another ohh we pulled through.

Comment

Power Con - soon to be brought to you by He-Man World. "Where Fans REALLY have the power!"
                                    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                                      Captain Atkin commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      If we ever ran a convention, it wouldn't be called Power-Con

Power-Con has been canceled.

I know Val and the .org have their enemies who are going to celebrate, but the MOTU fans on the East Coast who don't care for these inter-forum politics and can't afford to go to California have truly lost out.

Comment

• Black Zodac
                                      Black Zodac commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      I don't think Val will be losing any money from Power-Con being cancelled. He just won't make any profit from it this year. I would hate to see anyone involved with the Con lose money from it being cancelled. As Captain Atkin pointed out though, the people who really lose the most from this are the international fans who paid for plane tickets and hotel rooms. I don't think anything sucks more than that, and if there ever is another Power-Con those people should be given free tickets for their loss.

• RoboSteveo
                                      RoboSteveo commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      I feel bad for the East Coast fans who wanted to go, but there is no way the fans can be blamed for Power-Con being cancelled. Val only told people last week(!) that sales were at 28%. Seven days isn't enough time to give people if you want to see a bump in sales. People should have been given at least a month's notice on the possibility of the Con getting cancelled. The fans didn't fail Power-Con; Power-Con failed the fans.

• Mechanizor
                                      Mechanizor commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      The fans didn't fail Power-Con; Power-Con failed the fans.
                                      Probably it's both. Val and company have mismanaged the whole deal, and probably fans are disappointed with the ending of the line and with Mattel's wishy washy schemes and offerings, and saw no reason to shed more money over it.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X