Any Heavy Metal fans here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Heavy Metal fans here?

I always felt MOTU and Metal went together. Basically after I finished collecting He-Man as a kid I moved on to collecting Heavy Metal albums, drawn in by the imagery (like Eddie from Iron Maiden) at first and then came to appreciate the music.
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

I'm not only a huge Metal fan, but I'm actually a Metal musician myself (guitarist mainly), however I only consider myself a hobbyist these days, but I still practice and compose whenever I can.

When I was introduced to MOTU, I was a bit too young for Hard-Rock and Heavy-Metal, back then I was into classical, pop, funk and some ethnic world music, however bombastic and renaissance classical music was always on when I used to play with He-Man, or when I used to read the mini-comics or draw some of the characters into cool battle poses and action scenes!

I have to admit, MOTU was one of the initial stepping stones that got me into Metal and dreaming big!... These days, I can easily associate MOTU with the Power and Symphonic Metal genre, it's sophisticated, melodic, fast, heavy and very epic!

Comment

I once climbed down my roof on Christmas night so I could trek 3 blocks to see GWAR when I was 14.
      I finally saw Black Sabbath last year for the first time, awesome.
      “Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
      Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

• GREP-A-TOR
        GREP-A-TOR commented
        Editing a comment
        Great, the lead singer of Gwar died today, 3/34/2014. Man, so many people who have never seen a show are really going to miss out. Topless slave girls, flake blood that stains peoples skin for weeks, a huge fake dong that squirts fake ****, free beers being thrown into the crowd, naked women crowd surfing covered in fake blood.

I could go on for days. RIP David Brockie:
        http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...-home/6821683/

• Dark Angel
        Dark Angel commented
        Editing a comment
        I know, right? I read your comment yesterday and thought that I really should catch up with GWAR as I hadn't listened to them in ages (except the Wayward Son cover on AVClub). Then this morning...well, fudge.

Cool. I used to play in a Metal band too. Gave it up years ago, but was a touring musician for about 5 years.

I was introduced to Metal really young... at about 6 or 7 years old, around the same time I was super in to He-Man. I ad a Babysitter who used to bring over his Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Motley Crue records and make me and my brother listen to them. I used to love looking at the art work and the music made me want to jump around, so I was hooked from the start!
      "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

Got into metal when I was around 12. Started out with Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Megadeth, Annihilator, etc. Not a fan of anything new, but love the classics.

Comment

• GREP-A-TOR
          GREP-A-TOR commented
          Editing a comment
          New Death Angel is good, new Tool and Perfect Circle are good too.

Ha ha ha ! Hello, headbangers ! I'm actually a HUGE fan of hard rock, heavy metal, glam metal, power metal and a little bit of punk !

Some of my favorite bands include Iron Maiden, AC/DC, WASP, Poison, Mötely Crüe, Scorpions, Tigertailz, Britny Fox, Alice Cooper, Def Leppard, Hammerfall, Manowar, Europe, Bonfire, Bon Jovi, Hardline, Helloween, Insania, Power Quest, Sonata Arctica, Michael Monroe, Penny Lane, Rhapsody (of Fire), Freedom Call, Power Quest, Vixen, Lita Ford, Girlschool, Wendy O' Williams, Judas Priest, Running Wild, the Ramones and the list goes on and on (there are several hundreds of bands that I like, and I stopped counting them after a while).

I also sang in a band when I was younger, and played a little bit instruments as well (but not in a band)... Also, I'm a big fand of denim and leather, cowboy boots, rock T-shirts etc.

Happy to find some metal friends here !

For those of you who really like hard rock and heavy metal, here are some of my favorite sites. I use them as a base to discover new bands and albums, along with Amazon :

http://www.heavyharmonies.com/

http://www.brutalmetal.com/

Comment

I primarily listen to metal and classical.

I like extremes.
          Not every beast is tender, especially if there is genius in his making.

Comment

• Mechanizor
            Mechanizor commented
            Editing a comment
            I've heard that Dark Angel are back, Gene Hoglan probably got that Thrash itch from playing with Testament!? LOL.

BTW, I thought Amon Amarth is mainly Viking Metal not Satanic!

• Dark Angel
            Dark Angel commented
            Editing a comment
            That was a general answer, not the answer to the Death Metal question! Amon Amarth pretty much exclusively deal with Viking themes, but don't consider themselves Viking Metal - go figure. I just like what I like, I'm not real picky about the specific subgenre.

Youse guys listen to Folk Metal? Wasn't too sure about it at first, but some of the bands are growing on me, particularly Eluveitie (just don't ask me to pronounce it).

• Mechanizor
            Mechanizor commented
            Editing a comment
            I loooove Folk Metal, my favorite these days are Ensiferum, FinnTroll, Turisas and Wintersun (well, they're like Folk-Cosmic), but there are a lot more that I'm trying to listen to more often...

Originally posted by Dark Angel View Post
          I primarily listen to metal and classical.

I like extremes.
          Actually, they work pretty well together too, from Neo-Classical Metal to Symphonic Black Metal and everything in between is pure ecstasy.

Comment

• Dark Angel
            Dark Angel commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you heard Vortex's solo album? Its more classic-metal/prog-rock, not really hardcore at all, but definitely worth a listen.

• Mechanizor
            Mechanizor commented
            Editing a comment
            No, not yet, I thought he's focusing on releasing a new Arcturus album!... Anyhow thanks for the info, and I'll check his new album out very soon.

• Draego-Man
            Draego-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Vortex is a god among men. The worst mistake Dimmu ever made was getting rid of him. Nice to see him back in Borknagar though. This song is as close to heaven as one can possibly get... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q90kByHUtlQ&feature=kp

Originally posted by Widukind View Post
          Ha ha ha ! Hello, headbangers ! I'm actually a HUGE fan of hard rock, heavy metal, glam metal, power metal and a little bit of punk !

Some of my favorite bands include Iron Maiden, AC/DC, WASP, Poison, Mötely Crüe, Scorpions, Tigertailz, Britny Fox, Alice Cooper, Def Leppard, Hammerfall, Manowar, Europe, Bonfire, Bon Jovi, Hardline, Helloween, Insania, Power Quest, Sonata Arctica, Michael Monroe, Penny Lane, Rhapsody (of Fire), Freedom Call, Power Quest, Vixen, Lita Ford, Girlschool, Wendy O' Williams, Judas Priest, Running Wild, the Ramones and the list goes on and on (there are several hundreds of bands that I like, and I stopped counting them after a while).

I also sang in a band when I was younger, and played a little bit instruments as well (but not in a band)... Also, I'm a big fand of denim and leather, cowboy boots, rock T-shirts etc.

Happy to find some metal friends here !

For those of you who really like hard rock and heavy metal, here are some of my favorite sites. I use them as a base to discover new bands and albums, along with Amazon :

http://www.heavyharmonies.com/

http://www.brutalmetal.com/
          Awesome. Metal unites people. (we need a headbanging smiley). Your taste is quite across the board, nice.

Comment

• Widukind
            Widukind commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks ! Maybe we could even open a thread to discover metal and hard rock songs that would match MOTU... The first song that crossed my mind is Hammerfall's "Stronger than all". Very fitting for MOTU, I think.

• Mechanizor
            Mechanizor commented
            Editing a comment
            Cacophony's Sword of the Warrior, one of the first shredding guitar songs that I've associated it with He-Man. The Heavy Metal cataloge is endless for the MOTU material. ;-)

I just discovered Iron Maiden's cover of Crossed Eyed Mary a few weeks ago, not bad!

Comment

There was only one thing, one darn thing World War Z the Brad Pitt crapfest had to do for me to walk away happy, and they failed. The scene from the book where they play Iron Maiden's "The Trooper" when the army lures in zombies to their shooting range
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Mechanizor
              Mechanizor commented
              Editing a comment
              I haven't seen the movie, but interesting to know that they've played such an iconic Metal song in a zombie related production!

• GREP-A-TOR
              GREP-A-TOR commented
              Editing a comment
              They DIDN'T play it in the movie, that is what killed me. The only thing the movie and book share is the title. The audiobook is one of my favorites. The fact they left that out was the ultimate deal breaker for me.

Nice to see some Metal fans here! Some of my favorites in roughly alphabetical form...

Amon Amarth
            Amorphis
            Anathema
            Anubis Gate
            Arch Enemy
            Arcturus
            Arsis
            Asphyx
            Astral Doors
            Be'Lakor
            Behemoth
            Belphagor
            Black Sabbath
            Blind Guardian
            Bloodbound
            Blut Aus Nord
            Bolt Thrower
            Borknagar
            Brainstorm
            Candlemass
            Cannibal Corpse
            Cathedral
            Clutch
            Communic
            Cradle Of Filth
            The Crown
            Cryptopsy
            Cynic
            Dark Tranquillity
            Darkane
            Darkthrone
            Daylight Dies
            Death
            Death Angel
            Deathspell Omega
            Decapitated
            Deftones
            Deicide
            Dimmu Borgir
            Dio
            Dismember
            Dissection
            Draconian
            Dream Evil
            Dream Theater
            Edge Of Sanity
            Edguy
            Eluveitie
            Emperor
            Ensiferum
            Enslaved
            Entombed
            Evergrey
            Exodus
            Eyehategod
            Faith No More
            Falconer
            Fates Warning
            Fear Factory
            Finntroll
            Firewind
            Fleshgod Apocalypse
            Flotsam and Jetsam
            Forbidden
            Freedom Call
            Gamma Ray
            Gehenna
            God Dethroned
            God Forbid
            Gojira
            Gorgoroth
            Gorguts
            Grand Magus
            Green Carnation
            Hail Of Bullets
            Haken
            Hammerfall
            The Haunted
            Helloween
            Hooded Menace
            Hypocrisy
            Iced Earth
            Ihsahn
            Illdisposed
            Immolation
            Immortal
            In Flames
            In Mourning
            In Vain
            Incantation
            Insomnium
            Into Eternity
            Iron Maiden
            Iron Savior
            Isole
            Jag Panzer
            Jorn
            Judas Priest
            Kalmah
            Kamelot
            Kampfar
            Kataklysm
            Katatonia
            Killswitch Engage
            King Diamond
            Kreator
            Labyrinth
            Lamb Of God
            Lay Down Rotten
            Legion Of The Damned
            Leprous
            Life Of Agony
            Machine Head
            Machine Men
            Malevolent Creation
            Marduk
            Masterplan
            Mastodon
            Mayhem
            Megadeth
            Mercenary
            Mercyful Fate
            Meshuggah
            Metallica
            Mind's Eye
            Mob Rules
            Moonsorrow
            Moonspell
            Morbid Angel
            Mors Principium Est
            Motley Crue
            Motorhead
            Mustasch
            My Dying Bride
            Myrath
            Mystic Prophecy
            Nachtmystium
            Naglfar
            Napalm Death
            Necrophobic
            Nevermore
            Nightwish
            Nile
            Nocturnal Rites
            Novembers Doom
            Nuclear Assault
            Obituary
            Obscura
            Old Man's Child
            Omnium Gatherum
            One Man Army and The Undead Quartet
            Onslaught
            Opeth
            The Order
            OSI
            Overkill
            Pagan Mind
            Paradise Lost
            Pestilence
            Pharaoh
            Poisonblack
            Powerwolf
            Primal Fear
            Primordial
            The Prophecy
            Queensryche
            Rage
            Ratt
            Raunchy
            Redemption
            Rhapsody (Of Fire)
            Riverside
            Sabaton
            Sacrifice
            Sahg
            Saint Daemon
            Samael
            Satyricon
            Savage Circus
            Saxon
            Scar Symmetry
            Scorpions
            Sentenced
            Sepultura
            Seventh Wonder
            Shining
            Slayer
            Slough Feg
            Sodom
            Soilwork
            Solitude Aeturnus
            Sonata Arctica
            Soulfly
            Stratovarius
            Suffocation
            Suidakra
            Summoning
            Susperia
            Suspyre
            Swallow The Sun
            Symphony X
            Tad Morose
            Testament
            Therion
            Threshold
            Thunderstone
            Tiamat
            Tool
            Trivium
            Tyr
            Ulver
            Unleashed
            Vader
            Vanishing Point
            Vektor
            Vintersorg
            Voivod
            Volbeat
            Voyager
            Vreid
            Watain
            While Heaven Wept
            Wintersun
            Witchery
            Wolf
            Woods Of Ypres
            Xerath
            Yob
            Zyklon
            3 Inches Of Blood

Comment

• Anti-Guru
              Anti-Guru commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow... That's a lot of metal bands.

• Draego-Man
              Draego-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah. Keeps me busy. lol.

Here's a song that makes me think of MOTU sometimes : Insania - Universe : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVJMy9twpZE

Comment

• Mechanizor
              Mechanizor commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, I never heard of them before, they sound a lot like old Helloween and Edguy!

Filmation Theme Song done Metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbowF6rR7JA

Comment

• Mechanizor
              Mechanizor commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha, Charlie Para is one of the channels I have subscriptions with! I discovered him a year ago or so through 331Erock!

Well what an extensive list you got up there Draego, and I would say that I listen to 85% of those bands. Great to know that you are also a fan of Progressive and Folk metal, aside from the common Heavy, Power, Thrash and Death.

BTW, check out also Angra, Luca Turilli's Rhapsody, Wuthuring Heights, Epica, Amberian Dawn, Ancient Bards, Adagio, Dark Moor, DGM, Galneryus, Seventh Wonder, Myrath and of course Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force. I'm sure you'll love them especially if you like melodic stuff yet fast, progressive and powerful.

Comment

• Draego-Man
              Draego-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              I listen to Angra, all versions of Rhapsody, Wuthering Heights, Adagio, Dark Moor, DGM and Yngwie. Seventh Wonder and Myrath are already on my list above. Never heard of Galneryus, and not really a fan of Epica, but I do like Mayan.

Yes, I'm a huge Prog Metal fan. Some of my more recent discoveries in this genre are Until Rain, Vangough, Miserium, Caligula's Horse, and Prospekt.

\m/

• Mechanizor
              Mechanizor commented
              Editing a comment
              Galneryus is a Japanese Power/Prog band, check them out on You-Tube, they're topnotch musicians, among the best in Japan.

Also I'll check out the others you've listed, probably I've listened to one or two before. Too many bands to catch uo with these days...

• Draego-Man
              Draego-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool. Thanks I'll check them out.

Wow... I never heard of any of these groups you guys are talking about. I need to do some research and have a listen.

Comment

• Draego-Man
              Draego-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              You're gonna be busy for a long, long time. lol.

• Mechanizor
              Mechanizor commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed with Draego, I barely can keep up with what's new, and still discovering old ones too, and I've been into Metal for more than 20 years!
              But thanks to outlets like You-Tube, it will make your task a lot easier. LOL

• Widukind
              Widukind commented
              Editing a comment
              That's what's magical : there are sooooo many awesome bands out there, both old and new, to discover ! Each wonderful song is like a gem that makes your ears so pleased !

My personal favorite era : between 1986 and 1991.

Originally posted by Draego-Man View Post
            Filmation Theme Song done Metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbowF6rR7JA
            Nice... that Power Rangers one is pretty nice too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wBid6HlGL8

Comment

Dedicated to ToyGuru...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO-wAfvIF3s&feature=kp

And in memory of Dave Brockie.

Comment

Oh, good. I was worried we couldn't turn another thread into being about the current brand manager, then subsequently kill it. What a relief.

Comment

• Draego-Man
                  Draego-Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No reason why you can't keep the conversation going.

Best albums of the year so far for me...

1. Cynic - Kindly Bent To Free Us
                2. Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon
                3. Primal Fear - Delivering The Black
                4. Mustasch - Thank You For The Demon
                5. Behemoth - The Satanist

Comment

Tool always puts on such a great show. I recommend everyone see Maynard whoever he is with, but Tool is an experience. Just don't drink his wine, it is not worth the price.
                  Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I really liked Puscifer, which was Maynard and...well, pretty much everyone he knows or has even met in passing, I think. Even Mila Jovavich.

I haven't heard any new metal that does it for me yet this year. Will have to check out the new Behemoth.

Comment

Here's another song for you-know-who :

Hawk - Tell the Truth :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rbHVQ9OPhc

Comment

This reminds me of junior high...you know, when all the twelve-year-old girls would dedicate songs to their crushes?

Comment

• Mechanizor
                          Mechanizor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Awweee, isn't TG SOOO HAWT!!!... My heart now is being crushed between the hammer and the anvil! ;-b

I got to see Megadeth for EIGHT DOLLARS on Saturday night. They sounded great and played all of my favorites, the blew the roof off by starting with "Hangar 18".

I had forgotten how awesome "Peace Sells, but Who's Buying?" is. I will see them again for sure when they tour again.
                        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Mechanizor
                          Mechanizor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I never saw them live after Marty Friedman left, only on DVDs and You-Tube.
                          I know Broderick is an awesome guitar player and Junior is back, but they aren't what they used to be anymore, and I'm not implying that they're better!

• Draego-Man
                          Draego-Man commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Saw them once in 2005. Saw Slayer in 1994, 1998, and 2002. Saw Iron Maiden in 2003 and 2012.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X