The Official Superhero Movies Rating Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official Superhero Movies Rating Thread

This thread is to discuss movies in the "Superhero Genre" (movies that transitioned from comic book to film), and everything is up for discussion and debate. As an avid movie fan, and a fan of this often misunderstood genre, I love chattering on about what works for comic themed movies, and what does not. What helps a movie to soar, and what designates it as a dollar bin blow our the same year its released on Blue -Ray (cough cough Green Lantern cough cough)

So feel free to talk films here. List them, praise them, deconstruct and destroy. If its a super flick, let us know how you really feel. I'll be referencing Rotten Tomato audience ratings here, as I find them very fair and non bias. I'll start:

Batman
    Tim Burton's 1989 classic, and still one of my favorite comic book movies today. I've probably seen it about 30 times, and as I write this review, I could easily throw it on and revisit it. The score, the cinematography, everything about this movie is a dark, moody, beautiful thrill ride.
    My Rating: 8 out of 10
    Rotten Tomatoes Audience 84%

Batman Returns
    While not received as well as the first, this movie was an over the top ride of comic book fun, retaining the darkness of the first film, the fantastic score, and with extra helping of humor. Had the creators sought a higher PG rating, it could have perhaps been a little more than what it was. Still, a gorgeous movie, that I never get tired of. The stunning Michelle Phiefer was born to play Catwoman, and Danny DeVito made me love his creepy, deformed, sadistic Penguin.
    Rotten Tomatoes Audience 72%

Batman Forever
    All good things come to an end... and this crap fest killed it. I gave it once chance upon its release and I did not enjoy it at all, now its virtually unwatchable.
    My Rating: 3 out of 10
    Rotten Tomatoes Audience 33%

Batman & Robin
    All of beautiful young Chris O'Donnell's screen time, and his skin tight, muscled sculpted beauty could not hold my attention, nor distract me from what was being poured into my brain. Like the rotting mulch from the bag of the lawnmower that was ran across the pages of a Batman comic sitting out in someone's backyard, this movie was a mess. A poison ivy itch inducing suckfest.
    My Rating: 2 out of 10
    Rotten Tomatoes Audience 16%

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
    Not much I can say about this film. I've seen it twice, and I don't think I can watch it again.
    My Rating: 4 out of 10
    Rotten Tomatoes Audience 51%

X-Men
    Superb casting, great special effects, beautifully executed. A stand out comic book film that brought a world of mutants to reality, sans yellow spandex. This movie made me believe in superhero movies again! Am excellent film which I really can't speak badly about, saved for a few minor fanboy gripes that I'm just going to leave out. Ian Mckellan, Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, Famke Janssen, James Marsden, Rebecca Romijn, and the lovely Anna Paquin made all my comic book movie dreams come true with this one. It even maintains 82% on Rotten Tomatoes after all this time! Impressive.
    Rotten Tomatoes Audience 82%

X2
    An equally impressive sequel which in some ways surpassed the first. The cast were so comfortable in their roles, they made every scene magic. From the first sequence featuring Nightcrawler as the mind controlled assassin, I was hooked. While there were some creative choices that fell short for me, this movie as a whole was quite well done, and avoided some of the 'stink' of other comic follow up films. It even maintains 84% Audience review on Rotten Tomatoes, my go to movie source for awesome no hogwash reviews.
    Rotten Tomatoes Audience 84%

X-Men: The Last Stand
    Though it was the most criticized, and the weakest at the box office, for me, this was still a great film. By now I was invested into the cast, and they did not disappoint. While there were some scenes that I felt were 'cheap', 'cliche' and cop out, as far as the quality of the special effects, and some lines that reeked of trying to be trendy, taken in as a whole, it was still a enjoyable and a nice way to wrap up the trilogy.
    Rating: 7 out of 10
    Rotten Tomatoes Audience 63%

X-Men: First Class
    Sadly, the only thing that really failed for me in this movie was Emma Frost, whom I wanted to captivate me (the way Meg Foster did as Evil-Lyn in MOTU, Charliez Theron in any of her roles), but instead of finding an amazing actress, they found that flat as pancake, boring Playboy Bunny actress, and made a woman who has become one of the most popular female mutants in X-Men history, lame. Other than this 1 immense failing, the rest of the movie was great. Jennifer Lawrence blew away all my expectations, and the lovely Michael Fassbender made me want to live in a timewarp with a young, angry, driven Erik Lensherr! Pure awesome!
    Rotten Tomatoes Audience 87%

Ghost Rider
    Well they got the guy with a flaming skull on a motorcycle right... what a steaming pile of crap. This is the first one I've seen where the audience was actually friendlier than the Tomato Meter which gave this film a 26%.
    Rotten Tomatoes Audience 48%

Ghost Rider 2
    Still a flaming bag of crap... 18%. Did anyone like this filth?
    Rotten Tomatoes Audience 18%

Daredevil
    Ben Affleck was in this right? RTA agree with 36%. Sorry Ben, its not your fault.
    My Rating: 3 out of 10
    Rotten Tomatoes Audience 36%

Spider-Man
    The best out of the 3, Spider-Man was everything a superhero movie should be, and was short on the notorious reek of Sam Raimi's cheese. Still its Audience rating from Rotten Tomatoes is a paltry 67%. I may have been generous in giving it a 7 of my own.
    My Rating: 6 out of 10.
    Rotten Tomatoes Audience 67%

Spider-Man 2
    Dr. Octopus could not have been portrayed or executed better. He was bought to life perfectly. However, the movie had an extra helping of Sam's own personal Gouda, and as a result, this movie just fell short of great. I honestly can't remember any of the scenes beyond the fight scenes with Spidey and Doc, and probably with good reason. I believe we were introduced to the stereotype landlord and his daughter in this film. Yes, this is where the useless characters were shoe-horned in for comedic effect, filling the film with one bad pun after another. Rotten Tomato Audience reviewer gave it a surprisingly high 81%. Probably alot of Molina fans out there.
    My Rating: 5 out of 10
    Rotten Tomatoes Audience 81%

Spider-Man 3
    While Sandman and Venom were brought to life on screen in a respectable fashion, this film suffers greatly due to some creative choices that had to have been hatched from the mind of Sam Raimi. Sam Raimi, I hate you... you are a wretched man... you are a wretched man with a juvenile sense of humor and you ruined a potentially good action flick. Receiving an embarrassing Audience approval 51% rating, it was the nail in the original Spider-Man franchise's coffin.
    My Rating: 4 out of 10
    Rotten Tomatoes Audience 51%

Superman Returns
    While beautifully shot, and exposing my little mind to the sight of what could be the best thing to ever happen to a Superman costume (Brandon Routh, drool), this movie really didn't have much more than a little eye candy. Sure Parker Posey was her adorable, likable, goofy self, but it wasn't enough to carry a rather boring movie. What was a broke Lex Luthor doing? I think it was a real estate scheme. Right? Was that it? Strip away all its special effects, and you're left with a not so great Superman story. It just lacked anything really great (Mmmm, Brandon Routh, Mmmmmm ) or memorable.
    Rotten Tomatoes Audience 62%

Batman Begins
    Meh. I really didn't care for any of the Nolan Batman films. I just don't get their appeal.
    Rotten Tomatoes Audience 90%

The Dark Knight
    Meh............................................ Christian Bale slobbering.... meh.
    Rotten Tomatoes Audience 94%

The Dark Knight Rises
    Meh............................slobber slobber... meh.... can't understand a word Tom Hardy is saying... meh... Ohh! Did I just see Joseph Gordon Levitt? He's fun!
    Rotten Tomatoes Audience 90%
    Last edited by Sky Runner; 05-16-2014, 05:35 PM.

My favourite superhero (and comic book) films:

1. Dredd (2012)
    2. The Dark Knight
    3. Batman
    4. Superman
    5. Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier
    6. X-Men: First Class
    7. Batman Begins
    8. The Avengers
    9. Iron Man
    10. Thor
    11. Spider-Man 2
    12. Spiderman
    13. Superman 2
    14. Batman Returns
    15. Captain America: The First Avenger
    16. The Incredible Hulk
    17. X-Men 2: X-Men United
    18 The Dark Knight Returns
    19. Thor: The Dark World
    20. Iron Man 2
    ​21. Iron Man 3
    22. The Wolverine
    23. The Amazing Spiderman 2
    24. The Amazing Spiderman
    25. Man of Steel

Honourable mention: Although not officially a comic book character, Robocop (1987) is a kick-ass superhero film, and is one of my favourite films of all time. Masters of the Universe (1987), although based on a toy property, is also a great superhero film.
    "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X