The Force Awakens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Force Awakens

I finally saw it today, and holy crap what an AWESOME movie!

This is the Star Wars we have been waiting for since 1983, not the abominations that are the prequels.

Absolutely incredible!!!!!!!!!!
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

So good!! I have seen the film twice now. This really is the film we have been waiting for since the 1980s.
    "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

I had a bad week, and moments ago I've heard from Mom that one of our favorite family friends has passed away and he's been asking about me, and I feel like shit now!!!...

So I'll try to see the movie tomorrow early morning or the day after. I live only a couple of blocks away from one of the busiest AMC theaters around that are equipped with the iMax screens, and that's how I plan to see it the first time.

Comment

...I heard Frodo kills Dumbledore.

...Oh, sorry. Spoilers, I guess.

Not every beast is tender, especially if there is genius in his making.

Comment

I saw it yesterday. I thought it was great and far surpassed the prequel trilogy in quality. It doesn't reach the heights of the original or Empire and I'm not sure if I like it more or less than Jedi. I loved the characters, acting, and the setup for what is to come. Without going into spoilers I have a few issues with the movie, but if you haven't seen it yet and want to go in completely fresh you should probably stop reading now...

I felt like the plot was a jumbled mess at points. It feels like the initial movie was going to be way longer and in order to edit it down to a more reasonable screentime they rearranged and jumbled some elements leading to a very unnatural pacing. I didn't so much mind the fan service and callbacks to the classic trilogy but it did get a bit much at times. Also the fact that most of the big mysteries surrounding the movie remain unanswered at the end is annoying to say the least. I'm not saying that will be a bad thing in the end (I'm sure things will be fleshed out by the end of this trilogy), but after the marketing for the movie raised so many questions, to have most of them remain unanswered in this film is frustrating.

Comment

its a decent movie but it was more amazed when it was called a new hope lol

Comment

• deano_ue
              deano_ue commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok mate chill. I said I enjoyed it but beat for beat it's the same movie structure as episode 4 that can't be denied

Droid gets message
              Droid find chosen one in desert
              Chosen on finds Han Solo
              Go to strange bar
              Discover evil guys big bad weapon
              Weapon destroys planets
              Iconic character dies
              Ships attack weapons weak spot through a trench
              Weapon blows up

I'm not trying to start anything but I really couldn't shake it
              Last edited by deano_ue; 12-24-2015, 07:20 AM.

• Captain Atkin
              Captain Atkin commented
              Editing a comment
              My take on all that was that "history repeats itself". Which is fine with me.

• Draego-Man
              Draego-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Never not chill, just saying I think that critique is thin on the ground. I've heard tons of people say it. Sure the arc is the same, but the details are different.

I just watched and I gotta say not bad at all.

Lots of questions now though..
            Are Kylo and Rey cousins?
            Is Capt. Phasma going to be the equivalent to Mara Jade?
            What is Finn's linage and does he have the force?
            “Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.” ~Bertrand Russell

Comment

For me. The Force Awakens was Overall OK but some parts lowered my liking for film. It might knock off Avatar from first place. Now waiting stand alone films and trilogy two other parts.

Comment

I saw it today (12/26/15)

It was ok. I give it 3 stars.

The trailers really threw me off

There was a scene or two that surprised me a bit.

surprised to see Michael Arndt's name as a screenplay writer.

NO. The spoilers are:
                Jar Jar is overseeing the creation of a third death star and in the foreground is the wreckage of battle star galatica. Guess they didn't home after all.
                a hand reaches in and takes the vader mask. probably clone vader or even plagius.
                Billy Dee Williams as a villager
                George Lucas as some homeless guy
                some bounty hunter wearing mandalorian amor

Originally posted by Dark Angel View Post
                ...I heard Frodo kills Dumbledore.

...Oh, sorry. Spoilers, I guess.

Comment

It is a remake of Episode IV, beat for beat, but with plot holes. The list of what I don't like is infinite. Here is what I liked.
                - BB8 was entertaining and made me laugh like R2 does.
                - Han and Chewy stole the show - best part of the movie.
                - TR8-TOR stormtrooper was awesome and is the new Boba Fett
                - Finn was not as bad as I thought the character and actor would be. The did make him Jar Jar Finn with comic relief and a JANITOR.
                - The practical large scale Tie Fighters and X-Wings looked great, the designs were excellent as well.
                - Poe the bro was OK - people seemed to like him.

Rey is a complete Mary Sue. JJ Abrams has not made an original movie yet and is good at making copies, well, until this movie.

The Extended Universe will remain MY Canon since Disney only cares about money and not originality nor quality.
                “Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
                Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

• Dark Angel
                  Dark Angel commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ...and in the interest of complete fairness, an interesting article on the question of the derivative nature of SW:TFA.

• GREP-A-TOR
                  GREP-A-TOR commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Guys, Rey is a complete Mary Sue. It's OK, I am not going to sperg out if you don't believe it and have a differing opinion.
                  When you make a character omnipotent - it makes that character boring.

I did like that she was sweaty at least, that was realistic.

She was the least interesting character to me. I have nothing against stonk women grrrrrl power leads, I LOVE Ripley from Alien, I love Princess Leia, Kill Bill, Sarah Conner.

I have been a closet and out and proud Star Wars fan for over 30 years. Between this movie and Check Wendigs fan fiction book, I am done. Both were complete disappointments.

Maybe they will get an offshoot right, like a bounty hunter movie, but I won't hold my breathe, and I won't give it my money.

• rothsauce
                  rothsauce commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, but she's basically a female version of Luke - who is pretty much a Gary Stu. It's not just a character that has the answers to everything, it's also a character that has everything fall into place at exactly the right moment, by their own power or not. Most superheroes would qualify as a Mary or Gary.

It's pretty obvious they were trying to rip off the Jacen/Jaina Solo dynamic form the YJK series, but without the other characters for support made them both far less interesting and more a stereotype. The idea was there, the heart and soul were ripped out.

So I finally got the chance to see it, it was almost a newer version of the "A New Hope" (Very UNORIGINAL), except general Leia looked like an old grandma with some poor acting lines... Good movie, but no way it was great as I thought it would be!
                I believe there were some good moments, but also a bunch of cheesy moments, and I don't know if this was intentional or just a bad directing job!?

And why in the world Storm Troopers still cannot aim right?

I'll see it again but this time in the normal projection and I may enjoy movie a little more, the IMAX 3D conversion gave me a headache and a lot of the shots were a bit blurry to me. Avatar was a lot better in the 3D IMAX in my opinion.

Comment

Let's hope next one (Episode 8) explain lots what is happening between this and Return of The Jedi. I wonder will Luke teach new apprentice like Yoda and Obi-Wan in Orginal trilogy.

Comment

Originally posted by GREP-A-TOR View Post
                    It is a remake of Episode IV, beat for beat, but with plot holes. The list of what I don't like is infinite. Here is what I liked.
                    - BB8 was entertaining and made me laugh like R2 does.
                    - Han and Chewy stole the show - best part of the movie.
                    - TR8-TOR stormtrooper was awesome and is the new Boba Fett
                    - Finn was not as bad as I thought the character and actor would be. The did make him Jar Jar Finn with comic relief and a JANITOR.
                    - The practical large scale Tie Fighters and X-Wings looked great, the designs were excellent as well.
                    - Poe the bro was OK - people seemed to like him.

Rey is a complete Mary Sue. JJ Abrams has not made an original movie yet and is good at making copies, well, until this movie.

The Extended Universe will remain MY Canon since Disney only cares about money and not originality nor quality.

yup, a lot of things that were bad. rey & jar jar finn can both fight off kylo with a lightsaber with zero training? she can do jedi mind control & can keep a secret from kylo with no training. somehow she knows the falcon better than han & can see visions by touching the lightsaber? it's a lightsaber not a wand. whatever. horde prime was in charge? a death planet can only destroy planets that are nearby it can't move around the galaxy. and the" let go of my hand" yeah we get it. SFC because it's the current year. also she can speak astromech droid? who else can do that?

(lol, io9 & vox, i'm not even clicking on those links.)
                    http://thepowersword.blogspot.com

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                      Captain Atkin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Finn was a Storm Trooper, so he did have combat training. He didn't last long in a sword fight with Kylo (who was injured). He was defeated pretty quickly by Kylo.

• PhantomZodak
                      PhantomZodak commented
                      Editing a comment
                      storm troopers don't have sword training. i wouldn't last 2 seconds against even a high school fencing kid, but somehow finn didn't lose his hands.

• Captain Atkin
                      Captain Atkin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Who says Storm Troopers don't have sword training?

The first concept artwork of a storm trooper from the 70s had a light sabre and shield. In SW: TFA, we actually see the shield on a storm trooper's arm. So anything is possible.

As for Kylo Ren fighting Finn, I think for the most part Ren was just toying with him.

Originally posted by PhantomZodak View Post

yup, a lot of things that were bad. rey & jar jar finn can both fight off kylo with a lightsaber with zero training? she can do jedi mind control & can keep a secret from kylo with no training. somehow she knows the falcon better than han & can see visions by touching the lightsaber? it's a lightsaber not a wand. whatever. horde prime was in charge? a death planet can only destroy planets that are nearby it can't move around the galaxy. and the" let go of my hand" yeah we get it. SFC because it's the current year. also she can speak astromech droid? who else can do that?

Well, after watching a bunch of reviews with spoilers and Easter Eggs, many have concluded that Rey was somehow trained as a Jedi but was somehow mindewiped by someone (probably Luke) to protect her, that's why she was able to surprise herself with all the abilities she had rediscovered, including flying the Millennium Falcon!!! However, we won't find out until episode 8 I guess...

I think everything JJ Abrams did here was intentional to recapture the magic of the original Star Wars movie "A New Hope" and reintroduce it to the new generation while continuing the old story, however people/geeks like me probably were looking for more than that especially after seeing the SW saga countless times...

I think now, after knowing what to expect and how things were played out, I might get to enjoy the movie more and more after each screening.

Comment

• PhantomZodak
                      PhantomZodak commented
                      Editing a comment
                      yes, i was hoping for new stuff too, instead we got "a new hope" with a mary sue, a bigger death star & even a literally bigger bad guy in form of horde prime. the only new things were kylo's lightsaber, bb-8 & some of the ships.

Originally posted by PhantomZodak View Post
                    Then don't address what you know nothing about.

Not every beast is tender, especially if there is genius in his making.

Comment

• PhantomZodak
                      PhantomZodak commented
                      Editing a comment
                      yeah, i know nothing, i just watched the movie. i know plenty about those sjw websites.

• GREP-A-TOR
                      GREP-A-TOR commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I know about those SJW sites too, but you need to know your enemy to defeat them.

Phantom - not everyone knows what type of cultural war is going on, not every thing has to be a battle - sometimes an article is just an article, don't get too mad.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X