What Keeps You Coming Back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Keeps You Coming Back?

What keeps you coming back for more MOTU and POP goodness? For me it has always been the figures. I got my first figures for my birthday, in the summer of 82. I was hooked from the beginning. I kept collecting right to the end. I never collected POP or NA the first time around, but now I collect them all. I like them all. I can hardly wait each month, for the new figures to arrive. I get excited to rip into the mailers and get the new figures in had. I love adding them to my already overwhelming army. I get excited each time for all the new reveals. I love trying to figuring out how they will fit in to my MOTU world. I have always enjoyed reading and watching all the various MOTU and POP medias that have come out over the years. However, that is not what keeps me coming back. To me, the various media has always been nothing more than marketing tools. I always preferred using my own imagination to create my own MOTU world, fueled by the figures them selves. It started with the figures and it has always been the figures, that keeps bringing me back! What keeps bringing you back?

Nostalgia and a lifetime love of Masters of the Universe. My best childhood memories include playing both Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power toys together with my sibling. The line is fun, colorful, and full of imagination. Classics has been a wonderful celebration of that, that's why I keep coming back. Makes me feel like a kid again.

Comment

I remember taking trips to the original Frazetta art gallery as a youngster with my family, watching Conan a million times on cable along with Beastmaster, so when I saw the original art on MOTU at Toys R Us I was in it for life. The cartoons and comics also reeled me in.
      “Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
      Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

I've always been a He-Man fan. What hooked me was the first commercials. When I saw the muscles (the commercial's lighting made the figures look as if they felt like human skin--sort of like those movie TMNT put out by Playmates) and He-Man, who was bigger than Superman, punch the shit out of Skeletor, I had to get those guys. Plus I liked barbarians as a kid and still do, so scantily clad heroes and heroines don't bother me like other fans.

When NA came about, I was glad that He-Man had returned. 200X was a dream line--the 4H sculpting He-Man figures with McFarlane-esque detail!

Classics--the main reason I like that line is the sheer amount of options: the best articulation, improvements on old characters, the character selection, figures that we never got and the customization options. The figure that sold me on Classics was Mer-Man looking like his cardback, a look that I've always wanted but never got.

With all that being said, I would have to really enjoy a new MOTU canon for me to buy it's toyline. After the designs of 200X and the rich options of Classics, I don't think those lines can be beaten. It would have to take seeing any new canon in action to sway me.

Comment

It used to be the amazing figures, up until UNO or orko in drag.

Comment

• Anti-Guru
            Anti-Guru commented
            Editing a comment
            But these are just toys.

• Jsting
            Jsting commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup just toys, but one that im forced to pay for. This one goes beyond reversed shoulders or lack of paint app.

I keep coming back because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Comment

He-man was actually the very first action figure I owned. I remember seeing a family picture of when I was 4, along with my brothers, in which everyone was posing for it while I was putting all my attention on that figure.
            “Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate." ― Ron Jeremy

Comment

Definitely the excellent customer relations and the perks that come with brand loyalty.
              "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

For me, MOTU has a strong link to my mother, who passed away in 2012. It was she that introduced me to MOTU, so it's my connection to her in a way. I was a huge Sword and Sorcery fan back in the early 80's, so movies like Conan The Barbarian and Beastmaster also made MOTU very relate-able. I've always seen the old MOTU line as the perfect synthesis of Conan (and to a lesser degree Beastmaster) sword & sorcery and Flash Gordon style sci-fi adventure.

Comment

When I was a kid, I was into sword and sorcery, fantasy, muscular figures, comics, cartoons, anime, robots and everything sci-fi and technology, and MOTU just combined all that into one Toy based medium, so I would say mainly nostalgia and my big love for fantasy and sci-fi in general, and a lot of good memories.

Too bad to admit that collecting 200X and MOUTC didn't jive well with me to relive the experiences I had when I was as a kid with the vintage line. So much frustration and anger in both lines that ultimatly ruined it for me, and Mattel simply became an atrocious company to deal with, not to mention their products are sub-par for what you pay for... I may never collect MOTU again after this this line is done unless something drastic happens in the company's business practice that could pull me back to it, but I won't bet on it anytime soon.

Comment

• Robarr The Morbid
                    Robarr The Morbid commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'll totally agree with you on the 200X line and some of the MOTUC line. I had absolutely no interest at all in the 2002 series. It looked far, far too anime-inspired for my liking although I will say I did like some aspects of the animated TV show, like how they addressed the issue of how He-man should look different from Prince Adam and not just look like He-man with a change of clothes. With the MOTUC series, I can appreciate that they tried to stay somewhat faithful to the vintage series and made them better articulated (especially on Battle-Cat and Panthor), but their inclusion of the New Adventures of He-Man characters I find pretty annoying. I absolutely HATED that stuff when it came out in the late 80's/early 90's.

• Mechanizor
                    Mechanizor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Unlike you Robarr, I actually liked the 200X line and its designs expect for He-Man himself (His action figure looked more like a Manga character, and that atrocious Castle Grayskull was a big fail IMO despite its playability), however collecting the line was so frustrating until I gave up on it, and soon after the whole line got canned! As for the NA series I didn't even know about it not until I searched it online in the late 90's, and I wasn't impressed at all.

Manga, yeah totally. I also thought his hair was a little too short as well. I wholeheartedly agree on the Castle too. Never got any of the 200X figures although I was given the 3 inch versions of He-Man & Battlecat, Man-At-Arms and Ram-Man by a friend.

Comment

2 reasons, and they are sort of connected. Hear me out.

1. straight up Fan hood. I mean, as a kid i loved this crap.
                    2. creativity. Looking back on it now, as an adult, it actually makes so much sense why it hit a home run, its by far the most creative, colorful and interesting concept (toywise) of all time in my honest opinion. Its fun when you realize, dang, this is really cool stuff, and very interesting. I mean, i remember when i was a teenager, drawing and redesigning characters from MOTU, making them more detailed etc...... then 200X came out, and I was like, THERE! i knew it! i knew clawful could be huge, and they did everything (minus my not caring for hyper, and giant weapons) that little me use to pretend they did/looked like.

Comment

I would have to say I keep coming back simply for the nostalgia. MOTU was absolutely without a doubt my favorite toyline as a child. I didn't have them all, but I had most of the early ones. Now, as an adult I can afford to buy any and all that I want - I don't have to ask any one for permission to buy them. Those early years were some of the best. I used to play with them by myself, until my older brother decided they were pretty cool and picked up a few as well. He passed away in 1999, and looking at the MOTUC versions of the figures that he owned brings a smile to my face and helps me appreciate the good moments we had growing up together.

Comment

Mostly the figures for me,but i also loved the comics,i used to get the weekly comic here in the UK and i remember reading them and drawing from them and even now when i look at them i still get that huge nostalgic feeling and sometimes even remember where i was when i was reading that particular comic.
                        And as much as i like the new Motuc figures i don't get that nostalgia from them anymore.

Comment

Its not just mutants and monsters or just robots and superheroes... There's no boundaries plus add sword and sorcery equals win.
                          “Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.” ~Bertrand Russell

Comment

The reason that I kept going back was because the figures looked cool, and had great sculpts. I tried to get all of the figures (and additional characters), that I had as a kid. But the price hike, combined with all of the lies from Neitlich/Matty pushed me away.

Haha The other reason that people keep going back, is probably that Neitlich and Mattel have cast a spell on the world- so that people keep going back to buy their defective crap. Supernatural forces (and maybe a masochistic nature) are the only way that I could somehow see most people choosing to keep going back, to a company that constantly lies, cheats, and abuses its customers....
                            Last edited by Jason Todd; 09-03-2014, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I keep coming back out of love for the lines, and how great they look on display in my home. I've collected vintage, 200x, and now MOTUC over the last approx. 20 years. When you get a Snake Mountain and a Grayskull out on a shelf and fill them up with a ton of figures, the vintage line just looks amazing, and guests always loved trying to remember their names (Mekaneck and Fisto were always favorites with guests to my dorm room in the 90's.) While my Eternia was MIB when you put one out on display it just takes over your home and looks great, people who have one know what I'm talking about! Totally worth the money!

Lining up the Stactions and 200x figures in a "parade" just looks awesome. I know a lot of people keep their collections in storage or in boxes in the basement, but get them out of their prison and up on display. It's so much fun and it looks great!

Now I no longer have either of those collections, but my MOTUC display and the Castle are some of my most prized possessions. MOTUC has *everyone*- He-Ro, Marzo, etc. - and that all-in inclusiveness really gets me going. No limits, just like MOTU itself. Once you get the Castle set up and a bunch of figures in it, it's an amazing display. People just get lost in it when they visit my home. Some people think I'm nuts and others just love it. It's great to view your collection daily, and to share it with friends and guests. MOTU's various lines are really great for display as they are built tough, have a lot of colorful variety, and the vehicles and display environments just add to the fun.
                              “What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."― Salman Rushdie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X