Gentle Giant Toys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentle Giant Toys

Anyone out there collect from Gentle Giant? I'm a big Alien fan, and I already have the Super 7 Alien Reaction figures. Now Gentle Giant is offering a reproduction of the original Kenner Alien 18" figure... only this one is a whopping 24" And it comes in a retro styled package. I really want this.

However, I think $499 is just a little bit RIDICULOUS!!!

If it actually goes for $499, I think you are best to just buy the original Kenner figure (out of package) on Ebay. $499 is way to high of a price for a toy like that. There really isn't any justification for a price like that.
    "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

I agree, Just because it's 2 feet tall and will come in a HUGE box, doesn't mean it's worth $499. All I can do is hope that the price gets drastically reduced down the road. I can't see too many people buying it at that price. They currently have it at $399 if you order it before a certain date, but even $399 is stupid. MOTUC Castle Grayskull looks like a good deal compared to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Anti-Guru View Post
        I agree, Just because it's 2 feet tall and will come in a HUGE box, doesn't mean it's worth $499. All I can do is hope that the price gets drastically reduced down the road. I can't see too many people buying it at that price. They currently have it at $399 if you order it before a certain date, but even $399 is stupid. MOTUC Castle Grayskull looks like a good deal compared to this.
        The only way I could justify spending that kind of money on a figure a) is to make sure that there is a collectors' market for it in the future, b) have enough space for a multiple of them, c) and have enough spare disposable income or simply become rich!

Comment

Which leads me to believe that Gentle Giant's target market is wealthy 30-40 year old males who make 6 figures a year and have an affinity for jumbo size retro action figures. Sadly, I don't fall into that category so... more than likely I will never own this.

Most are saying one would be better off finding the original because it would be cheaper. I kinda agree, but the appeal of this GG Alien figure for me is the box. The packaging goes perfect with the Alien Reaction figures from Funko.

Comment

Originally posted by Anti-Guru View Post
            Which leads me to believe that Gentle Giant's target market is wealthy 30-40 year old males who make 6 figures a year and have an affinity for jumbo size retro action figures. Sadly, I don't fall into that category so... more than likely I will never own this.

Most are saying one would be better off finding the original because it would be cheaper. I kinda agree, but the appeal of this GG Alien figure for me is the box. The packaging goes perfect with the Alien Reaction figures from Funko.
            I'm in the 30-40+ category, and I do spend a good chunk of my money on another famous toy brand in spite of my very limited disposable income, and I have a very limited space, but I know for sure that I can get my money back (and sometimes a lot more) when I offer some of my collection for sale. It's just how you invest and rotate the stuff you have without losing while enjoying the medium.

As for MOTUC, I thought it would be a good investment, but it's not, and it's not worth the headache in my experience, at least in the current market. I'm just collecting it only out of love for the MOTU brand, and now I somehow regretting it. (FU Scott/Mattel)

Gentle Giants however, I'd be even more careful especially if you don't have the extra cash and space.

Comment

I would guesstmate that about 98.5% of the fan responses to this Alien figure's price tag are negative. Many thought that it was going to be around $150-200. Seeing the reaction makes me feel kinda good. If everybody was ready to fork over that kind of loot, I would be asking myself if I should too. If money was no object like it is for some people, I would gladly buy this.

Comment

$499 is insane. The only thing I am shelling that out for is a GI JOE USS FLAGG or a Sideshow Collectible statue.

I remember seeing a custom made Alien made out of metal that was over 6 feet tall and was $500.
                “Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
                Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

I read that Diamond Select has newly acquired rights to the ALIEN property... AND they are planning a re-release of the original ALIEN in it's original 18" size. If this is true, I hope it's in the vintage style box and most importantly... will not cost me an arm and a testicle.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X