Leave a comment:

• Nankeiro
    replied
    Wonderful work, mate.

Leave a comment:

• Neo
    replied
    Originally posted by Sky Runner View Post
    For the quality of the sculpt, $90 is still reasonable. You did an A+ job, but for me I just wouldn't be able to take the plunge. I'll be happy with a MOTUC Dragstor or Evil Seed, and if I never get one, I'll be just as happy.
    Oh I understand perfectly. It's a lot of cash..

My toy collection has been cut in half over the years, and I've shed alot of childish pursuits in favor of just having more income to travel, eat, spend time with friends. Maybe its called 'growing up' or maybe its a new appreciation for other things. I've been the type to sit in front of a computer trying to get toys on release before they sell out.
    Which I understand as well.

I have enjoyed some success working with some artists on commissions, but its hard to maintain an on going relationship due to time constraints, miscommunications and shifting interests. People get bored, or take on too much, and investors back out. Its not easy collecting payments online from random strangers.

For a while I was discussing the details of creating a wave of cool MOTU stactions with orger harold, however, there was a huge language barrier. Half the time I couldn't make sense of his PMs, and I had to ask the same question 5 times to get 1 answer. He was comfortable with paying like $200 for a sculpt and $300 for a cast, and while some of his pieces were cool, his Shapeways productions had nowhere near the level of fine detail for me to invest.
    It is hard to gather the funds needed to do projects like these.. However I surpised myself since these turned out to be pretty popular. It took me about 2 weeks to sell them all.
    Shapeways prints are cool but there is only one material there at this moment that is interesting for stuff like this. Unfortunately they have pretty firm rules when it comes to supplied models. It tcan take forever to get a model approved. And even then there is no guaranty they'll print it.
    I'm curious as to what you guys were planning. :-)

You seem like a cool fellow. Perhaps you and I could talk.
    Thanks. It never hurts to talk.

PS: As for my friend, like many artist types, his portfolio is a mess. I have nothing to show you.
    I know what that's like..

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    For the quality of the sculpt, $90 is still reasonable. You did an A+ job, but for me I just wouldn't be able to take the plunge. I'll be happy with a MOTUC Dragstor or Evil Seed, and if I never get one, I'll be just as happy.

My toy collection has been cut in half over the years, and I've shed alot of childish pursuits in favor of just having more income to travel, eat, spend time with friends. Maybe its called 'growing up' or maybe its a new appreciation for other things. I've never been the type to sit in front of a computer trying to get toys on release before they sell out.

I have enjoyed some success working with some artists on comissions, but its hard to maintain an on going relationship due to time constraints, miscommunications and shifting interests. People get bored, or take on too much, and investors back out. Its not easy collecting payments online from random strangers.

For a while I was discussing the details of creating a wave of cool MOTU stactions with orger harold, however, there was a huge language barrier. Half the time I couldn't make sense of his PMs, and I had to ask the same question 5 times to get 1 answer. He was comfortable with paying like $200 for a sculpt and $300 for a cast, and while some of his pieces were cool, his Shapeways productions had nowhere near the level of fine detail for me to invest.

You seem like a cool fellow. Perhaps you and I could talk.

PS: As for my friend, like many artist types, his portfolio is a mess. I have nothing to show you.
    Last edited by Sky Runner; 06-27-2014, 08:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Neo
    replied
    Thanks. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Captain Atkin
    replied
    That is absolutely spectacular! Well done

Leave a comment:

• bulun
    replied
    That is AMAZOG!!!

Leave a comment:

• Neo
    replied
    Originally posted by Sky Runner View Post
    Yeah, I ran out of patience pretty fast. I get that not everyone is possessed of basic social skills, but it should come pretty standard, especially if you accept their proposal to work with them on a custom figure. Answer questions, be concise and don't waste people's time. Is that so much to ask? Such was not the case on numerous occasions.
    A lot of people live in a bubble man. That has become very clear all these years I have been around.

The people on the org right now are so focused on screaming and crying over MOTUC, there is little left in the fan creation forums, and little interest in 200x. Before leaving He-man.org I spent 90% of my time in the fan section, commenting on and complimenting the talent there, just to avoid all the negativity in the other threads, but sending out positive energy to unappreciative or unavailable people grows tiresome.
    A lot of doom and gloom is going on, I agree.. But I don't read that much stuff anymore.. Nor do I look at other fan art a lot. I am not really big on fan art to be honest. I have pretty high standards and "glued together action figures" don't really do it for me.

I've seen Simon's website, and in my opinion, his skill is mediocre. I can appreciate it, but it doesn't exactly blow my mind. In my opinion your Scare-Glow sculpt trumps his work. Do you have any more renders to share?
    Thanks man. :-) I don't really know Simon and I don't wanna bash his work.. It looks like he knows how to do his sculpts really fast. I work in a different manner. My sculpts take more time I think.
    At the moment I am working on a Horde Trooper. He'll be the size of Tung Lashor so he'll be one of the bigger ones.

I have a friend who is currently enrolled in video game design school, and his character models/textures are amazing, though his focus is environments.
    Cool, does he have a portfolio?

Which characters did you have in mind?
    Well, right now the Trooper is almost done, but I am working on a Pirates of Darkwater commission too so it'll take a little more time before it will be completed.
    After that Mossman, Spikor and Dragstor are pretty high up the list. I was also considering doing Meteorbs, but I don't think I'll be able to get support for those.

How many would you do to cover the cost?
    To keep it affordable for everyone involved I have to make a minimum of 20. I make no profit off of them but even then the price is pretty high. Scareglow had to cost $90 for an unpainted kit. + shipping.
    The price is different for every character though. The Trooper might be a bit more expensive because they are bigger.

Do you think selling them on EBAY as 'inspired' by MOTU creations could work?
    It might work but I am not going to do that. I am not in this to make a buck, I just lovw 200x motu. :-) I might auction one if I have one left but that will be it.

I would love to own one, but at the moment, MOTUC has tapped me out. I couldn't offer up any financial support unless the price was in the $50 range. Maybe you could try a kick starter?
    Kickstarting these would get me into all kinds of trouble with Mattel I think.
    I did think about doing a kickstarter to acquire a license for MotU Stactions. But I am still figuring out if there's demand for such a thing.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Yeah, I ran out of patience pretty fast. I get that not everyone is possessed of basic social skills, but it should come pretty standard, especially if you accept their proposal to work with them on a custom figure. Answer questions, be concise and don't waste people's time. Is that so much to ask? Such was not the case on numerous occasions.

The people on the org right now are so focused on screaming and crying over MOTUC, there is little left in the fan creation forums, and little interest in 200x. Before leaving He-man.org I spent 90% of my time in the fan section, commenting on and complimenting the talent there, just to avoid all the negativity in the other threads, but sending out positive energy to unappreciative or unavailable people grows tiresome.

I've seen Simon's website, and in my opinion, his skill is mediocre. I can appreciate it, but it doesn't exactly blow my mind. In my opinion your Scare-Glow sculpt trumps his work. Do you have any more renders to share? I have a friend who is currently enrolled in video game design school, and his character models/textures are amazing, though his focus is environments. Which characters did you have in mind? How many would you do to cover the cost? Do you think selling them on EBAY as 'inspired' by MOTU creations could work?

I would love to own one, but at the moment, MOTUC has tapped me out. I couldn't offer up any financial support unless the price was in the $50 range. Maybe you could try a kick starter?
    Last edited by Sky Runner; 06-14-2014, 07:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Neo
    replied
    The $300 prints are in the standard white and flexible material I believe. This print cost waaaaay more. It's as smooth as a production piece.

Well, that project you talked about with Harold is basicly what I am doing now. I plan to create some of the characters the 200X line definately needs. Demand is pretty low for 200X these days, but all I need is 20 people to back these up in order to make it possible. That's easier said then done btw.

What you're saying about the customisers community on the org does sound a little familiar. It takes forever to get some feedback,but I think it's the same everywhere.. I don't see this thread filling up with replies either eventhough this isn't just a simple kit bash. ;-)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Oh you're right, it is green. Its just a really dark shade. Yeah, if I recall from my PMs with harold, he said his prints cost about $300USD, and he was paying for the 3D models too! Its awesome but its not cheap. We discussed doing a pre order for the most demanded stactions, but it was impossible to nail down payment and organize such a project online. This would have been just prior to the release of MOTUC. Maybe in 10 years the technology will become affordable.

Nah, I never bothered having her made. I was designing these characters back when I was participating on He-Man.org, but I was never satisfied with the feedback I received. While I had some good relationships with some orgers (Royal1tus, 2-Bad), I had too many negative experiences with some other customizers/creators that just turned into flaky, unreliable, selfish egomaniacs.

Eventually I stopped sharing and creating, and eventually left. I'll probably never cast her and I'm okay with that.

Leave a comment:

• Neo
    replied
    Well, I chose the green because that's the color they had in the MVC comic and I think the green compliments the purple nicely.. The combination of the colors is very MotU imo.
    The printing process and the painting didn't come cheap.. I had to make casts to cover the expences to make it even possible to do. I'm lucky I can do my own sculpts.

Speaking of sculpts, that's a nice looking one you have there. Simon is a pretty good sculpter. Was it ever printed in 3D? There's really nothing like the feeling of holding your creation in your hands.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It looks like a flawless addition to the NECA line.

My only critique is the choice of bandage color. I would have chosen white or brown, so that the fabric details are separated from the dark areas. The armor could do with some pewter accents. The paint job itself looks clean and professional.

What did this little beauty cost you? Click image for larger version

Name:	ikdn.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	18524

A very long time ago, harold on He-Man.org had one of my fan characters drawn up in 3D. Her name is Zealousss, and yes, she is Cosmic warrior, turned Snakewoman. I thought you might appreciate seeing her since you created such a great looking staction.
    Last edited by Sky Runner; 06-13-2014, 09:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• barrasco
    replied
    Way better than any MOTUC.

Leave a comment:

• Draego-Man
    replied
    Wow, that is awesome! Nice work!

Leave a comment:

• Neo
    started a topic Scareglow Staction

Scareglow Staction

Nothing much to say about it really. It's a 200x Staction of Scareglow... I sculpted it in 3D and had it printed and painted.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X