Concept Art - Emiliano's MOTU Signature Series B-Sheets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concept Art - Emiliano's MOTU Signature Series B-Sheets

Emiliano Santalucia posted some amazing concept designs for a "Signature" Masters of the Universe series:

READ FIRST!

It has been a while since last time I posted one of my MOTUC designs. But with all the talks about a possible rebrand of the Classics line of figures for 2016, I wanted to explore what I would personally like to see.

I then created a series of B-Sheets portraying a line-up of figures, based on MOTUC molds, but reworked to offer new versions of the main characters, offering a jump-in point for new collectors.

Going by the name of the line "Signature Series" I envisioned a line of figures that pay a big homage to the original creators of the line. Most of the figures I sketched are redesigned to reflect as much as possible the original B-Sheets that Mark Taylor created in 1981*.

Mind you, you may not recognize some of this stuff, or think some of the color scheme are pretty arbitrary. They are not. Everything is based on the original Mark's colored drawings I had the privilege to see a couple of years ago.

I plan to post the entire line up I drew, one each day. Stay tuned and you might also discover something new about MOTU history!

Artist Notes: First one up is of course He-Man, with his dagger and the famous discarded helmet!

Artist Notes: Second b-sheet from my ideal 2016 MOTU figures line-up!

Today, let me introduce you to: D-Man!
    No, I'm not going nuts, this is how Mark Taylor originally envisioned Skeletor!
    Check out the mummified face, the visible bones on the forearms, the colored bats on his armor! (does that remind you of something?)

Artist Notes: Third one in my series of ideal 2016 relaunch figures!
    This time, Mer-Man... and why Alfredo Alcala drew him the way he did in the minicomics

Artist Notes: I’m posting Beast Man today, because it's Sunday and Beast Man is the most disappointing figure. He only has a new head and trunks are shared with He-Man and Man-At-Arms.
    Why not redo more? Because I’m not just going wild with these. I tried to design a complete and affordable line up of figures that could be released over the course of an entire year. And remain affordable especially since this would be a sort of rebranding, but using most of the existing molds.

That means, some figures have more new tooling, and cost more, some would have less, and cost less but help fitting the higher-tooling ones in the budget. It’s how MOTUC worked since day one.

Beast Man is one of the characters that lend himself perfectly to this: his original B-Sheets by Mark Taylor is not that different from the final product. A simple repaint with a new head should be sufficient, sparing precious money for guys like Mer-Man or Teela.

Artist Notes: Today's character is Teela in her original form as conceived by Mark Taylor.
    This is how originally the Teela figure was designed and how she shared parts with The Sorceress.
    “We change people through conversation, not through censorship." ― Jay Z

Nice to see these designs getting around! I'm interested in the upcoming comments.

On the .org, it seems like the main people interested in these would be the Pre-Filmation fans.

Everyone else seemingly would rather have Filmation variants or unique characters. I wonder if it'll be like this on Hemanworld.

Comment

I would love to have action figures that looked like this! These designs are amazing!

My feeling is that Filmation deserves a proper toy line of its own. For a signature series, I would want something based on the original ideas and concepts.
      "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

these look cool, but i am so over variants. no way am i spending money on another variant. as much as i love miniternia, just no. new characters yes, variants no.
        http://thepowersword.blogspot.com

Comment

These look great.

Comment

I'd buy all these up in a heartbeat.
            Heroic human battering ram, catapult, and space warp device.

https://battleram.wordpress.com/

Comment

The point of a rebranded line (which is what they talked about), is first and foremost to bring back all the main characters. So don't expect rebranded line with all new characters, or fully new tooled figures. Rebranding is not rebooting
              These designs are merely what would be my approach to that concept

Comment

They're awesome! I'd totally buy all of them, especially Teela and Beast Man (I love that head!)
                “What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."― Salman Rushdie

Comment

Originally posted by Emiliano View Post
                  The point of a rebranded line (which is what they talked about), is first and foremost to bring back all the main characters. So don't expect rebranded line with all new characters, or fully new tooled figures. Rebranding is not rebooting
                  These designs are merely what would be my approach to that concept
                  Now what if TG steals you're idea and concepts (unlike before where you've shared your work with the 4HM), would that pushes you to take any legal action, or would you rather work something out with the company?

Comment

I'd buy these up in a heartbeat. Although, Beast Man would be a tough sell, as much as I like him, he's really not much different than a new head.

I LOVE that Mer Man design!

Comment

These are amazing! Especially the Mumm-Ra Skeletor!
                      "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

Teela looks amazing. I like the interchangeability of the design.
                        Excuse my ignorance, I don't get the reference to the bats being yellow on skeletor..were they ever yellow?
                        “Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.” ~Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Battle Ram Man
                          Battle Ram Man commented
                          Editing a comment
                          They were yellow in the first Alcala comic book. But I think he's saying it recalls the design used on Hordak later, with his red bat motif.

• Andy
                          Andy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I thought the yellow was just to show highlight or depth. I might try that on my custom for accuracy but I think it'll look weird.

Nothing but cool stuff from Emiliano, however my wallet is closed to Mattel from here on in.
                        Last edited by Sky Runner; 09-16-2014, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Great work, Emiliano. I really like idea He-Man has daggar in his boot.
                          Last edited by Jyrki; 09-16-2014, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanaizor View Post
                            Now what if TG steals you're idea and concepts (unlike before where you've shared your work with the 4HM), would that pushes you to take any legal action, or would you rather work something out with the company?
                            I'm confident (or at least I hope), they just can do them without our help. For some reasons I can't go in details, they just can't do stuff by Mark (unless they have them in their archives) without him giving permission. So, in theory, they can't steal them.

Comment

• Mechanizor
                              Mechanizor commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Good to know, thanks Emiliano.

You have to add Stratos. And Emiliano clarified what this whole thing is about.

Comment

Good god. Why doesn't Matty fire Scott and hire Emiliano? Clearly he is a MOTU genius and has WAY more to offer than someone who has to stroke his own ego by pretending to be a "guru".

Will you be doing the original 8 back? Please add MAA, Zodac, and Stratos!
                              "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

Emil, its awesome that you are doing this and putting it in the public for free. I hope Matty does follow some of your designs. They are simple yet effective. Can't wait for stratos, trapjaw, and tri-klops obviously. I'd recommended doing the 3 most expensive secondary market characters sorceress, whiplash, and fisto. Then possibly sy-klone since he's way different.
                                “Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.” ~Bertrand Russell

Comment

Man-at-Arms!

The one many were expecting: Man-At-Arms!
                                  “But Man-At-Arms didn’t have a goatee!???
                                  He did originally, when Mark designed him. And his helmet was a lot less Gladiator and more Conquistadores

Comment

Stratos (aka: Bird Man)

Today’s figure is Bird Man!
                                    Notice the super cool jetpack Mark had originally drawn!

Comment

Cool. I like Stratos' jet pack. I've always wanted a Stratos that looked like the one in the original mini-comics. Neat to see where the design came from.
                                      I had forgotten that blue wings/red jet pack were the original design, makes me glad I kept the TRU Stratos.

Comment

Mat-At-Arms is off the hook amazing! Can't wait for Zodak, Ram Man, Man-E-Faces, Mekaneck, Trap Jaw, Evil Lyn, Faker, and Tri-Klops!
                                        Last edited by Draego-Man; 09-17-2014, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Now I really want to get all these figures, but I doubt Mattel will ever put out anything this cool going forward. They'll probably play it safer with Filmation variants.
                                          Heroic human battering ram, catapult, and space warp device.

https://battleram.wordpress.com/

Comment

Man, those are really great concepts. MAA is brilliant and Stratos looks sweet, and his jetpack looks awesome. Can't wait to see Man-E-Faces and Trap-Jaw.

Comment

I would buy all of these in a heartbeat. Totally and completely awesome!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                              Working...
                                              X