"Defender of Grayskull" by Ryan Barger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Defender of Grayskull" by Ryan Barger

Check out this spectacular Masters of the Universe artwork by Ryan Barger!

I think no matter how old I get, a big part of me will always live in Eternia. That perfect mix of barbarian fantasy, magic, sci-fi and superheroics that so ignited my imagination as a child still inspires me today. In fact, I probably wouldn’t have ended up as a professional illustrator if not for those Christmas mornings spent unwrapping the likes of Tri-Klops and Beastman.

Circumstances finally conspired to give me the time and energy to tackle my favorite setting, so I decided to take those wonderful characters and rough up their edges a bit. I don’t think I’m alone in wanting to see more fierce, modern versions of He-Man and his foes, so I took the best and most iconic elements of their designs and dirtied them up a bit.

This is the He-Man I always imagined, equal parts savage warrior and noble hero, doing battle with villains who are a genuine threat and look the part.It’s my pleasure to present ‘Defender of Grayskull.’ I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed creating it.

See more great art at http://www.ryanbarger.net/

"We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

:trapjaw::trapjaw::trapjaw::trapjaw::trapjaw:

This is one EPIC masterpiece!!! Good lord...

:trapjaw::trapjaw::trapjaw::trapjaw::trapjaw:

Comment

OK, now that...that is an interpretation I can get behind! Awesome, awesome work,

Also, Goat Man and Strong-Arm! Nice!
      Not every beast is tender, especially if there is genius in his making.

Comment

That's awesome! Imagine how amazing a movie would be if the characters looked like that!
        "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

that is amazing
          http://thepowersword.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks everyone for the kind words! My only regret is that I couldn't cram more guys in there!

Comment

Originally posted by RyanBarger View Post
              Thanks everyone for the kind words! My only regret is that I couldn't cram more guys in there!
              Please make more, I've been waiting for this art style for it to surface online like forever. I only wish my art skills are anything close to this!... And yeah, welcome aboard Ryan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanaizor View Post

Please make more, I've been waiting for this art style for it to surface online like forever. I only wish my art skills are anything close to this!... And yeah, welcome aboard Ryan.
                Thanks again Mecha! This piece was brewing for a long time, but now that real life circumstances have given me the chance, I'm sorely tempted to do more... even if it's just as basic as tossing up my own interpretations of various characters, places, etc.

Like you (and seemingly a few others out there) I've been waiting ages for an update of MOTU that has 'matured' a bit along with its most dedicated fans... still a wild, fantasy spectacle full of color and wonder, but with less of the outright goofiness and simplistic design we grew up with. Something fit for the movie screen, or a graphic novel. I certainly think it's possible, and would love to share my ideas on the subject. I may take a stab at it just for the giggles!

Comment

• Mechanizor
                  Mechanizor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just go for it and don't look back, your work here might carry on the legacy of MOTU into totally new frontiers... You should be very proud and thankful.

Love it, quick question He-man's face bears a resemblance to a former WWE wrestler Steven Richards.... any truth to this?

Comment

Originally posted by Nemisythe View Post
                  Love it, quick question He-man's face bears a resemblance to a former WWE wrestler Steven Richards.... any truth to this?
                  I googled the guy you named, and... I do see it! Something in the shape of the mouth and the brow lines maybe? I wish I could say I had the cunning to use a WWE performer as reference, but to this day I still freehand everything, including faces/anatomy. Though it's become common to photo-manipulate or composite pictures of real people into fantasy art, I'm one of those knuckleheads who insist on doing it the hard way. I've always thought that personal art style was more important than complete realism.

Thanks for the compliment, and the chuckle! I'll have to look up that guy's finishing move so I can picture my He-Man delivering it to Beastman before he can recover from that choke!!

Comment

Epic!!! I love this
                    “We change people through conversation, not through censorship." ― Jay Z

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X