Table top diorama for Castle Grayskull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table top diorama for Castle Grayskull

Since Christmas my castle has either been on my living room floor or my dining table, So I'm building a table for it, starting with the diorama part. It is built using polystyrene insulation, pva glue, cocktail sticks and acrylic paint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_397.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	16258

Name:	image_398.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	16259

Name:	image_399.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	16260

Name:	image_401.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	16262

Added 2 coats of emulsion paint.

Comment

Name:	image_402.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	16264

Base coat done.

Comment

Name:	image_403.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	16266

Practising paint effects on a scrap piece

Comment

Watching with interest. I want to do something like this as well.
          Heroic human battering ram, catapult, and space warp device.

https://battleram.wordpress.com/

Comment

keep us posted, I am looking for some better ideas for my castle as well.
            “Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
            Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

Curious see how finished diorama will looks like.

Comment

Name:	CGTT8.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	16328 Just finished the black wash, need to drybrush next and find something to simulate grass thinking of using faux fur Click image for larger version

Name:	CGTT8.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	16327

Comment

• Kel-Ton
                  Kel-Ton commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Found this on ebay, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3808433602...84.m1436.l2648 want to look at it in person first though

• GREP-A-TOR
                  GREP-A-TOR commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh, that's right - that is for model trains too. It is real thin though and any paint apps have to be applied AFTER it is set and glued down. It is pretty think though - but good for standing figures on.

• Kel-Ton
                  Kel-Ton commented
                  Editing a comment
                  just got back from the model shop, I bought some lichen to use as moss and one of the grass mats, they are thin but look nice and the figures will be able to stand easily. Should have some new pics up in the next couple of days.

Lookin' pretty sweet thus far! ;D

Comment

• Robarr The Morbid
                  Robarr The Morbid commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it. Just about finished my customized Snake Mountain. I'll be posting pics soon.

• Kel-Ton
                  Kel-Ton commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I look forward to seeing it

• Robarr The Morbid
                  Robarr The Morbid commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Won't be much longer. Just have to fashion a new set of manacles. Cheers!

Name:	image_461.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	17450 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_462.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	17451 Some progress just finished painting, once that's dry I can add the moss and grass and the castle, can't wait

Comment

Added the grass and the castle, not glued the grass down yet but I'm happy with it so far Click image for larger version

Name:	CGTT11.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	17462 Click image for larger version

Name:	CGTT12.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	17463

Comment

Looks brilliant!

Comment

• Kel-Ton
                    Kel-Ton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks, I've had a lot of fun building it. Still got some details left to do, trying to decide between water or lava in the pool to the side of the castle. The area inside the castle is going to be blue and glittery like King Grayskulls orb, then both areas will be lit from underneath.

How did I miss this thread? This looks AMAZING. I wish I had room in my house to do something like this.

Did you ever finish it? Please let's see some more pictures. This is great stuff.
                  “What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."― Salman Rushdie

Comment

• Kel-Ton
                    Kel-Ton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the compliments, the diorama part is mainly done but I still need to build a table for it and rearrange my living room to accommodate it. I want to put it on casters so it can be moved into the middle of the room for my kids and I to play with, and then be put in the alcove as display, will put up more pictures when its in position probably be after Christmas though.

• _RZ_
                    _RZ_ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey Kel-Tron, it might be easier to do some Ikea searching rather than build something.

I've been looking into this type of thing a lot as I thought I would have to have a pair of custom tables made for my (pretty big) Star Wars dioramas I have in my apartment. I'd like to be able to roll the one into a spare bedroom when there's lots of guests in my small home. I thought I'd have to commission one locally from a furniture store, and planned to pay $100+ for it. But Ikea offers a basic plain table that is pretty sturdy and good quality that might work for you. The top comes in at least 4-5 different sizes and shapes. You can also buy the legs separately so you can choose the look/style/height, and there is one set of legs that has holes in the them to attach the basic Ikea heavy-duty casters (the big ones with good bearings and the brakes/locks.)

All together I think it was under US$50 (the most basic of them with metal legs is US$20) for one that matches the size of the coffee table I currently use for that spot. Your setup is a lot bigger but I think you could use it. It can even break down flat so if you needed to store your diorama you could bubblewrap the mountains and store it pretty flat in a closet, garage, attic, etc. Take a look at what Ikea has to offer.

Also if you are still looking for wild tall grass clumps, I suggest going to the dollar store, and buying a roll of green plastic and glue that dries super clear and matte. Cut the plastic into tiny strips, and then cut them to the height you want the grass to be. Coat them in a thin layer of glue, and let the glue set for 1-5 minutes so it's not quite dry. Wrap the grass blades around a pencil and they will hold a slight curved shape. let them dry and paint/modify them as needed and then glue 3+ together. It should be sturdy enough to pierce the spray foam and look really good. You can do this in "batches" and it's pretty easy and quick and you get a lot of material.

Congrats and good luck!
                    Last edited by _RZ_; 12-01-2014, 10:01 AM.

• Kel-Ton
                    Kel-Ton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi RZ, thanks for the tips on the grass I've been wanting to put some long tufts in there and was gonna look in the model railway shop again, but your way sounds better and cheaper. I will definitely have a look at ikea hadn't thought of that.

Just realised I took a few more pictures that I haven't added yet.

Added some moss and more grass

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	32077

A couple of shots with figures

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	32078