Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best paint to use for customization???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best paint to use for customization???

I've been using the cheap bottles of acrylic paints from craft stores, but I really don't like them. Some of them don't apply well while others go on nice and smooth with very few coats. What do the pros use? Please be specific and post pics or links of the brands you use. Thanks!

For weapons (like swords), I would probably use a silver spary paint that is plastic friendly. It should say on the can if it works on plastic. For figures, I tend to use Citadel model paints. When painting weapons, I find it is best to NOT paint handles, as the paint will most likely scratch off in the figures hand.
    "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

There's got to be a factory quality paint out there, one that is durable enough to be painted on a weapon handle and not rub off when inserted into the figure's hand. What do toy companies use?

Comment

I don't think the paint that the toy companies use on the figures are the ones that you can just buy off the shelf. Pretty sure they are some sort of industrial strength paint.
        “We change people through conversation, not through censorship." ― Jay Z

Comment

I just use Gundam markers....
          “Censorship always defeats it own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion." ― Henry Steele Commager

Comment

I agree with Captain Atkin : Citadel paints (Warhammer) are good quality, and can give good results. Of course, they're quite expensive and come in very small containers, but they are effective.

Novelty, what are Gundam markers, exactly ? I've never seen those before... Are they permanent markers ?

Comment

They are acrylic paint, but packaged in marker pens for Gundam model kits. Do a google search for them.
              “Censorship always defeats it own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion." ― Henry Steele Commager

Comment

I'm not 100% sure... but I think this is the brand of paint that the 4H use on their paint masters and prototypes. I am pretty sure it's been mentioned before elsewhere.

http://www.cartooncolour.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1
                “What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."― Salman Rushdie

Comment

I use acrylic, then use a matte sealer, but there still gonna scratch of if your not careful, customs just don't handle as well as production stuff

Comment

For parts that will experience "rubbing," like sword handles, you can look into using fabric dye, but it is a pain in the hindquarters, and can go very wrong very quickly.
                    Not every beast is tender, especially if there is genius in his making.

Comment

This is always a funny subject, as even factory paint jobs can rub off. I've tried the $5 a bottle Citadel/Games Workshop brand, and the $1 craft store brands. Since you are applying paint to plastic, and the surface is not porous, you will always suffer some rubbing.

If you apply a sealer when you're done, you will reduce wear, but joints will always be an issue. I've discovered that dabbing the paint rather than stroking the brush creates a more smooth finish. My custom skills are minimal, and my is patience limited. I've seen some shitty paint jobs on customs. Mine aren't perfect, but they are a heck of a lot better than some, and I can fully complete a custom paint job in 30 min.

Always begin your custom with a good base primer. The spray on primers cost about $10 a can. It goes on evenly, dries insanely fast and is usually good for 2 -3 figures per can. It significantly helps with paint adhesion and application.

Don't be fooled by expensive paints. You get 10 times as much in the bottle with the craft store brands, and they often come in great colors. Its no different than paying $60 for a good pair of New Balance or $260 for some Nikes.
                      Last edited by Sky Runner; 04-06-2014, 08:28 PM.

Comment

I tend to use a lot of Testors acrylics. Be sure to thin it a bit with water if it's very goopy. You'll get a more even finish that way with less brush lines.

Also, use flat paint, not glossy
                        Heroic human battering ram, catapult, and space warp device.

https://battleram.wordpress.com/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X