Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ORIGINAL Secret Origin of Skeletor (and Scare Glow)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy
    commented on 's reply
    Up until the age of the internet, I always thought Scare Glow was the future ghost of Skeletor. Glad I'm not the only one.

• D.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Atkin View Post

It wouldn't surprise me if some elements of this "urban legend" were borrowed by Toyguru for his MOTUC bios, but I suspect these elements originated with this story, and not actually with Mattel in the 1980s. Sometimes, a story takes on a life of its own.
    Like they were. Like he "borrowed" Emiliano's ideas.

Leave a comment:

• Barbecue17
    replied
    This is one of the things I love about MOTU. Even the background of the storyline, toyline, and creation of the brand is just so darn mysterious!

Leave a comment:

• Matthew L. Martin
    replied

It wouldn't surprise me if some elements of this "urban legend" were borrowed by Toyguru for his MOTUC bios, but I suspect these elements originated with this story, and not actually with Mattel in the 1980s. Sometimes, a story takes on a life of its own.
    Again, entirely possible ... but I seem to be the only one who remembered it from a decade back. My general feeling is that it's a hoax or an urban legend, but I still think there's a possibility that it's a garbled form of the Keldor/Skeletor backstory that was going to be part of the Powers of Grayskull. And even if not, I may use it as such anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Atkin
    replied
    Originally posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post

Generally, I'd agree ... but there are those fascinating parallels with the Classics Skeletor bio and with the possibility that it hooks into Keldor as PoG antagonist--a fact that wasn't known in the late 90s.

Leave a comment:

• Matthew L. Martin
    replied
    I remember reading this story a few years ago. It is an interesting story, but I feel it is a "tall tale" dreamed up by a fan who wanted his version of Scare Glow's origin to be adopted by the fan community. The writer mentions not once... not twice... but four times(!) that he spoke on the phone with a Mattel representive to help give his story legitimacy. Of course, he never gives the name of the Mattel representive that he spoke with. The writer also says that the Mattel representive "suggested" this storyline to him over the phone. Suggested implies that the Mattel representive did not know if this was the actual bio for the character, but the bio he gives is so incredibly detailed that it gives the impression that it is true and factual.

To me, it sounds like a fan wanted this to be the back story for Scare Glow, and was hoping that his story would lead others to believe it was the real deal. In short, I believe this is fan fiction, and nothing more.
    Generally, I'd agree ... but there are those fascinating parallels with the Classics Skeletor bio and with the possibility that it hooks into Keldor as PoG antagonist--a fact that wasn't known in the late 90s.

Leave a comment:

• darkhawk411
    replied
    I actually just read the Search for Keldor mini on org. In it Skeletor summons both Ninjor and Scareglow from different time periods. It's possible that Skeletor didn't know that he was pulling his future self to serve him. It would also explain why Scareglow would serve him, as he would be trying to reverse the events leading to him being a ghost.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Atkin
    replied
    I remember reading this story a few years ago. It is an interesting story, but I feel it is a "tall tale" dreamed up by a fan who wanted his version of Scare Glow's origin to be adopted by the fan community. The writer mentions not once... not twice... but four times(!) that he spoke on the phone with a Mattel representive to help give his story legitimacy. Of course, he never gives the name of the Mattel representive that he spoke with. The writer also says that the Mattel representive "suggested" this storyline to him over the phone. Suggested implies that the Mattel representive did not know if this was the actual bio for the character, but the bio he gives is so incredibly detailed that it gives the impression that it is true and factual.

To me, it sounds like a fan wanted this to be the back story for Scare Glow, and was hoping that his story would lead others to believe it was the real deal. In short, I believe this is fan fiction, and nothing more.

Also, this story does not match up with the bio from the 1987 Mattel style guide, which is the only bio I can imagine a Mattel employee having access to at that time.

Leave a comment:

• The ORIGINAL Secret Origin of Skeletor (and Scare Glow)?

Several times throughout the years, I've mentioned a rumored origin for Scare Glow that was posted on the mailing list back in the late 90s. Last night, I did a Google search, and I was happy to find that Adam Tyner had reposted it in the Scrolls of Grayskull newsletter--which means it's still archived here in the depths of the site. You can find the original newsletter at http://old.he-man.org/site_sects/spe...issue23.shtml; here's the relevant information:

Scare Glow, a very rare figure to find, is the "Ghost" or "Shadow" of Skeletor. Scare Glow did not appear in the cartoon series. The best way that I can describe the Scare Glow character is that he is the "constant and burning voice that hounds Skeletor and makes him evil" (although the mini-comic that accompanied the figure does not mention this). It was suggested to me years ago by a Mattel rep. that Scare Glow is "the future of what Skeletor is to become once his total death is finalized". Skeletor,according to this Mattel rep., was an Eternian man that was condemned by The Elders to a slow death due to his evil ways, thus explaining his half-human body and skull face. Skeletor, as part of this punishment would become a sorrowed entity that would be reminded (and guided) by the "Ghost" or "Shadow" of a long defeated maniacal villian from the days of The Elders that would haunt and torment his mind. If, by some chance that Skeletor could ever prove himself worthy of redemption by changing his ways, he would be free of the punishment set forth by The Elders. Another scenario is that Skeletor could survive forever if he obtained both halves of the Power Sword(s), although only as his familiar Skeletor form. The final, and "somewhat official" reasoning behind Scare Glow is that Skeletor, unable to revert his evil ways, unable to prove himself worthy to The Elders and unable to defeat He-Man and obtain both halves of the Power Sword(s) eventually will die and his "Ghost" or "Shadow" (the constant and burning voice that hounds Skeletor and makes him evil) would be released. According tho this person, Scare Glow and Skeletor ARE NOT one, and that the reason that Skeletor will failis that Scare Glow is intentionally trying to be released, therefore he constantly hounds Skeletor's mind with evil thoughts and makes Skeletor forget important details that could help in his battles to obtain the Sword(s). In other words, when Skeletor dies Scare Glow takes a "physical form" and becomes the leader of the forces of evil. In the meantime,Skeletor is hounded by the spirit (Scare Glow) until the time that spirit can become a physical force to be reckoned with. If anyone else has any other explanations that they know of, please correct me, as this is only what was explained to me when I called Mattel years ago when I got Scare Glow as a b-day gift. (I too was unimpressed by the lack of information on the character which prompted me to call Mattel).

This may sound like an urban legend or hoax, but there are some interesting details that make it relevant:

1. It sure sounds awfully similar to what we got in 2008 with the bio for Classics Skeletor, if you combine it with the origin from the 200X cartoon. Scott has been willing to plunder the archives for all sorts of stuff; perhaps this was actually Mattel's original vision, although it contradicts the style guide for Scare Glow.

Why Demo-Man in the (revised) Classics bio instead of Scare Glow, then? Scott's also stated that part of the reasoning for the bios is a "Reverse Ockham's Razor"--"multiply entities as much as is feasible" to create the greatest number of possible toys. Giving Scare Glow independent existence allows Demo-Man to be used in his place, giving you at least two toys, and possibly more.

2. We also have that bit about how Keldor was going to be the antagonist for the Powers of Grayskull line. If so, this origin certainly sounds like it would explain how he went from Keldor to Skeletor, and it involves the Elders, who were around for PoG but not for the original timeframe. (Remember, folks, 200X made a pretty radical revision when it had the Elders vanish within living memory.) And if something's messing with his mind, it would also explain some of the plot issues that a Preternian Keldor raises, such as his lack of knowledge of the Snake Men.

(Reposted from he-man.org)

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X