Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you collect a vintage style continuation of MOTU (POG)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you collect a vintage style continuation of MOTU (POG)?

I recently bought Super7's Alien ReAction figures. For those who are not familiar with them. Kenner was originally planning to release action figures based on the film, "ALIEN" back in 1979. They only got as far as prototypes and that was the end of that. Super7 got a hold of the remaining tooling and reproduced them. From what I can tell, they are selling pretty well to a "cult" market.

I love the idea of prototype figures that never saw the light of day finally being produced. What if a company other than Mattel got the rights to create a continuation of the original MOTU toy line including new story development. Figures like He-Ro, Eldor, Gray, etc. could finally be created and released on retro style POG blister cards. Perhaps some concepts from the P&H catalog can get some love in this new extension of MOTU. The possibilities are endless, but would you be interested in collecting this?

I would really love a figure based on the Tony Guerrero prototype, awesome looking figure.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Anti-Guru
      Anti-Guru commented
      Editing a comment
      How awesome would this be?! I always loved this dude.

• Widukind
      Widukind commented
      Editing a comment
      I like this barbarian guy too ! He looks great !

I would love to see that figure get made in both vintage and classics style. However, I've read that there are legality issues with it which is probably why we haven't seen it in the classics line yet... but I don't see why a similar looking character couldn't be created legally. Everything about him is kinda generic anyway. Maybe something as simple as giving him shin armor and gladiator footwear would be enough to evade lawsuits. I always thought he needed some kind of shoes anyway.

Comment

Wasn't aware of the legal issues, makes sense though considering we've already been offered Vykron and Vikor. I love my Vikor figure but passed on Vykron just didn't appeal to me. Looks like i'll have to make do with a custom.

Comment

You bet I'd be interested! I'd buy everything done that way, especially previously unproduced characters, I'd say I'd sink into debts to have it all!

Comment

I am a BIG fan of the Commemorative MOTU line that was released in 2001. I would love to see that line brought back again, with "new" characters like Queen Marlena, Eldor and Fearless Photog made in the vintage style. Figures who were never made in the 1980s would be a big draw for me, if done in the vintage style. It would also be cool to see some of the New Adventures characters made in the 1980s style as well.

Upgrades that could be made to "vintage style" figures would be peg holes under their feet for stands, and getting rid of the rubber part that held the figures legs together, as those degrade over time. Something like what was used to connect the legs on vintage Blade, Terror Claws Skeletor, and Flying Fists He-Man would be an improvement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	eldor_prototype.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	2530
          "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

• Anti-Guru
            Anti-Guru commented
            Editing a comment
            Good call on the FFHM leg joints. I didn't even know they were different until I read that... then took a look at my FFHM and was amazed! They should have done that from the start.

• Barbecue17
            Barbecue17 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I think the weird leg issue is one of the most difficult parts about displaying a vintage MOTU collection. Nearly all of mine on display are figures like Orko, Gwildor, or Blade who have more solid legs or they're on vehicles.

C'mon, how about a vintage release of Goretusk, Crab-man, Brainman, Glob, Fear-ro, Hand-some, ecc? I'd kill a Scott to have it!

Comment

I would be all over a continuation of the old line. It would be great to finally get He-Ro and Eldor in the old style. I would also like to get a proper Green Goddess and Sherella. I would also be up for some NA figs in the old style.

How would you feel about getting POP figures in this line, done similar to Teela and Evil-Lyn?

Comment

• Captain Atkin
              Captain Atkin commented
              Editing a comment
              That is a fantastic idea!! POP figures made in the same style as Teela and Evil-Lyn would be wonderful

Originally posted by Greenskull View Post
            How would you feel about getting POP figures in this line, done similar to Teela and Evil-Lyn?
            Great idea!

Comment

Count me in to see the vintage line continue. Really want Eldor and He-Ro. And of course....Gigantisaur!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Y2Greg; 01-10-2014, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• Widukind
                Widukind commented
                Editing a comment
                HELL YEAH ! GIGANTISAUR ! This is my holy grail !!! How wonderful would it have been to have this huge dinosaur which could actually swallow your figures !? AWESOME !!!

That´s a great idea, I would buy every single figure if comes with the original art.

Comment

It would be nice if they came with mini comics too

Comment

• bwjenkins
                  bwjenkins commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mini-Comics would be must-haves in a vintage line, for sure.

I was just thinking... there would need to be a re-release of Laser Power He-Man and Laser Lite Skeletor. Of course they would need to be distinguishable from the extremely rare ones from the vintage line.

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                  Captain Atkin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Those two would definitely need to be made again for a redux line!

This is a comparison picture that He-Bro took of the feet from vintage BA He-Man and commemorative BA He-Man. Mattel made an effort to make sure that collectors would be able to tell the difference between vintage and commemorative versions. As was mentioned above, I think if they drilled holes in the feet of new vintage figures for stands, it would be enough to distinuish them from the originals.

Last edited by Black Zodac; 01-16-2014, 02:37 AM.
                “We change people through conversation, not through censorship." ― Jay Z

Comment

• Anti-Guru
                  Anti-Guru commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Interesting, I didn't know about this... for I have never collected the commemorative line

I would totally buy a new vintage-style line that produced non-released concepts. That sounds like a dream come true for me. I don't think it will ever happen but I would love it if it did.

Comment

I wouldn´t start collecting Vintage-esque figures. Not again. I had a HUGE collection and sold everything. 70+ carded figures, dozens and dozens of boxed vehicles and playsets... Everything gone. I would not start collecting these again. But I would certainly see other collectors jumping on that wagon and buying vintage inspired toys.

Comment

Why do I get the feeling... you know...
                    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...t-vintage-line

Comment

• Widukind
                      Widukind commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah... I bet you LIEguru would like to make HIS continuation of the vintage line, so it would give some kind of "justification" for all the monstrosities he wants to see in MOTU and in MOTUC... NO WAY !!!

I would'nt buy a continuation made by Mattel. Mattel is only the shadow of what it was in the 80's, and their aggravations towards the fans made me very angry. But if a caring, competent business would produce a continuation of this line, I'd probably buy it provided the quality is present.

Comment

Definitely. If this was Mattel's baby, not only would Neitlich force himself into running the show, but the prices would be astronomical... it would basically be what we are dealing with now with MOTUC, scams, scare tactics, overpriced shipping and product, etc. A company like Zica or even if the 4H did it, it would be a better thing.

Mattel will NEVER let anyone else near the property though, I'm sure of it.

Comment

• He-man121
                        He-man121 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Your right,Mattel will never license another company or studio to make Motu,They know it's a money spinner
                        Any new line whether a re-run of vintage or maybe a 3+3/4 line would have to have major changes for me not least the brand manager and his sales tactics,if he was at the helm of another Motu line i would defo be buying through the second market.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X