Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Earl Norem: Heroic Master of Illustration (1924-2015)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earl Norem: Heroic Master of Illustration (1924-2015)

Earl Norem
    (April 17, 1924–June 19, 2015) was an amazing artist and a master illustrator. His legendary artwork was featured in a variety of comics and magazines, including the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Magazine. During his time as an artist for Marvel Comics, he worked on Tales of the Zombie, The Savage Sword of Conan, Marvel Preview, Monsters Unleashed, Planet of the Apes, Rampaging Hulk, The Silver Surfer, and storybooks featuring Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, and The Transformers. He also illustrated trading cards and comic covers for Mars Attacks.

For fans of He-Man and She-Ra, Earl Norem helped make childhood in the 1980s awesome. He will be greatly missed.

Rest in peace, Earl Norem.

"We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

RIP Mr. Morem. I hope that he lived a full life loving what he did...

BTW, did he paint any MOTU package art for the 80's line?

Comment

Very sad to hear of his passing. I still remember having his awesome posters on my walls as a kid. He really was the best.
      “The internet treats censorship as a malfunction and routes around it." ― John Perry Barlow

Comment

Sad news, but thats how it goes. Good journey Mr. Norem!

Comment

AS much as I loved having the Golden Books read to me, I probably spent more time staring at the covers and trying to mimic the scenes with my action figures. It's a shame he never got to do any box art, but we are certainly blessed to have had him contribute to the magazines. When I close my eyes and think of He-man, I see Earl Norem's He-Man. I'll forever lament that I never had a chance to shake his hand and thank him for that. At least he is in good company alongside Hal Sutherland, Norm Prescott, Lou Scheimer, Billy Barty, Adrian Gonzales, Alfredo Alcala and the other Masters that are now one with the universe. May they not only R.I.P but also continue to inspire and fuel not just our own imaginations, but also future generations who will remember their impact throughout Eternity.

What are some of your favorite earl Norm paintings? Mine have already been showcased in the OP.

1, The Horde Poster
          2. That Sword of She-Ra cover
          3. The Rock Warriors cover
          4. That Winter caped He-Man seen in one of the US magazines (such a small picture!)
          5. US magazine poster/cover #1
          Last edited by Shawn; 06-21-2015, 07:11 AM.
          Once upon a time, good advice was "be kind Rewind"now nobody remembers the past.

Masters of the universe The LOST TALES (a series of vintage style fan-comics and children's books)

Comment

Very sad. I actually stepped out of my comfort zone and took a couple oil painting courses last year. Norem and Frazetta influenced my interest in art as a child - and to this day.
            “Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
            Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

• Mechanizor
              Mechanizor commented
              Editing a comment
              Funny that you've mentioned that, because I was about to do the same thing this summer (even though I've dabbled with it in when I was a kid through my early 20's), but I ended up taking technical computer courses instead!

This is sad news indeed! RIP Earl Norem!

I wish I had prints of his artwork. Or failing that, an artbook of his work!

Comment

Thank you for your contribution to the He-Man Mythos.

You've earned your rest.

R.I.P.

Comment

A true Master of the Arts as his painting breathed such life into these characters. And that Evil Horde poster that was in the He-man magazine... BY FAR my all time favorite!!!

RIP Earl Norem: May you journey be as epic as your art!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Nemisythe; 06-21-2015, 02:27 PM.

Comment

RIP, Mr. Norem

My favorites? Probably the Evil Horde poster (Summer 1985) and the "Battle in the Skies" poster (Fall 1986).

Comment

RIP. Anyone know where you could buy t-shirts with his artwork on them?
                    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

From your comments, looks like he never did any package art, only posters and magazine that I'm familiar with already!

Comment

I remember seeing that Clawful/Whiplash/Fisto/Buzz-Off/Webstor painting when I was a kid and being absolutely amazed by it. I don't have the magazine poster, but I do have a nice print out of it on my wall. Really amazing stuff, sad to hear of his passing. It sounds like he lived a long, full life.
                        Heroic human battering ram, catapult, and space warp device.

https://battleram.wordpress.com/

Comment

This is one of my favorites...

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                            Captain Atkin commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I still remember having that poster on my bedroom wall

Awesome artist, rest in piece Earl Norem

Comment

Rest in Peace,Earl Norem, True Artist

Comment

I've said my peace with Mr. Norem. He will always be at the top in my MOTU world. I have all his Golden Book covers and I was very fortunate to meet him at the first Power Con. He will be missed for sure.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X