Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Unnamed One as "Love Letter to the Fans"

From the mattycollector forums, reposted on the Org:

Happy to give a few thoughts on this issue!

So for starters, I'll absolutely be upfront that one man's "love letter" is another man's "huh?". Anytime you are dealing with revealing a 30 year mystery, the build up and anticipation (as well as speculation in different fan's minds) will inevitably lead to some level of disappointment. Wolverine's origin anyone? Star Wars prequels? etc..

I remember the final episode of ST Enterprise was billed as a love letter to fans and I was sorely disappointed. Trip died in a holodeck? Whatever. But I do get where the creators were coming from and why they would call the final episode a love letter to fans.

Okay, back to the UNO.

So for starters, the idea of who the figure is and what he looked like was something that was set way back in 2009. His bio was also written back then and has not changed. Which actually debunks the whole "this is the same story as Krona from Green Lantern". That story by Geoff Johns which revealed that Krona was a fallen Guardian did not come out until 2010/2011. Before that Krona was a different character in the DC universe. The UNO backstory, while written before this new GL story, was published second. So I can see where there is an "argument", but that "argument" is just factually wrong. Additionally, the "idea" of a fallen character, be is a God like Prometheus or an angel like Satan, is a concept, much like all of MOTU, deeply rooted in mythological motifs. If anything, both Geoff and the MOTU bios are paying homage to mythic themes of a fallen character, not ripping each other off. - in fact, I remember reading the GL story revamping Krona as a fallen Guardians back in 2010/2011 and thinking "wow, this is very similar to the backstory we created last year (and as yet unpublished) for the UNO. Some fans are totally going to jump to the conclusion we ripped this off, even though it was written first!".

So with that out of the way...

Next, again back in 2009 when we decided who the UNO was and what his story was, we very directly made him an "evil Trolla" because 1: Trollans (Orko) is a VERY recognizable character to casual MOTU fans and would be instantly understood by most casual fans as a MOTU figure/character. A giant Cuthulu type beast might not be. 2: Fans already were using Gorpo (the working name for Orko) as a blue clad Trollan character online and the UNO figure payed homage to that look and name. Heck, He-Man.org, one of the large fan sites even has a "Gorpo" smily face icon that came out well before the figure did. So this was a concept fans had been using for years and incorporating it into the UNO figure was an homage to that. Hence a "love letter" if you will.

Finally, the mini comic included with UNO is just chocked full of easter eggs and surprises for long time fans. And of course the biggest thing of all is the very fact that this figure solves a 30 year mystery for fans; who is the UNO? Doing that in itself, solving the mystery finally, is a love letter to fans. We could have just as easily only done the vintage figures in MOTUC and never expanded the world like this, but by purposely including a toy of the UNO in the line up and writing a bio (back in 2009)it would help resolve 30 years of mystery and plot threads at least finally giving fans an answer they have waited for.

It may not be the answer every fans wants, but it is an answer and providing "an answer" to this mystery, whether you like it or not, is also a "love letter" to our fans. We could have just as easily never addressed this and made a much smaller toy line, but that is not what MOTUC is about! The line has always been about resolving long term plot points and connecting the dots. (Horde Prime figure, the mini comics, etc...) It pushed the brand forward and helps justify the greatest number of figures possible!

Of course, as I noted in the top, this is 100% dependent on your POV. Not every fan will see him this way and that is fine. Again, anytime you are revealing the answer to a long term mystery there will be a contingent of fans not on board with the answer. Spending 30 years *(and especially the last 12 months) wondering what this figure would look like and who he is definitely adds to the hype and raises expectations.

At the end of the day, we are really proud of this figure and honestly he has become one of the single most popular figures around the office. Everyone seems to want one! Not every fan will be 100% satisfied and we never expected to please everyone.

For what our goals were, we couldn't be prouder of this amazing figure!
    Last edited by Matthew L. Martin; 03-26-2014, 06:11 PM.

And the answer I posted on the Org:

This does not solve a 30-year-old mystery.

Scott pretty much admits that when he says "back in 2009 when we decided who the UNO was and what his story was." If it were to be the solution to that mystery, it would have to be based on what was intended back when they were developing the Powers of Grayskull line. As it is, this is about as much a solution as the 200X origin of Skeletor answered the question of "what happened to Keldor?" from vintage--derived from the original, and the answer for a new iteration of the MotUverse, but not 'the answer'.

Comment

• GREP-A-TOR
      GREP-A-TOR commented
      Editing a comment
      THAT is the perfect response to Scott and his made up love letter

UNO doesn't look like Gorpo. He doesn't even have the same color scheme
    Heroic human battering ram, catapult, and space warp device.

https://battleram.wordpress.com/

Comment

I have conflicting thoughts on this guy. On one hand I think it's a cool figure. But it'll never be Gorpo or the Unnamed One to me. Calling him Gorpo just brings up hostility, and it accomplishes very little in the way of anything positive with fans. So it seems like a misstep. But it doesn't make me like the figure any less. But part of that is that over the years I usually manage to tune out all the white noise of the way this line is marketed and focus on what I love, which is the toys.

Comment

• Barbecue17
        Barbecue17 commented
        Editing a comment
        I still think the figure should have simply been marketed as a "New Villain of the Week!" Sure, it wouldn't have changed the figure, but it would have created different expectations and left more room for those two other characters to be released differently.

I decided to post a comment on the Org about Toyguru's message today, as I felt it was important enough to comment on. Val Staples was quick to disagree with me, but I will just agree to disagree with him on this matter. What Toyguru fails to understand about his so-called "love-letter" is that most fans probably never imagined Gorpo being turned into a villain for MOTUC. For years, the He-Man.Org community had Gorpo as a funny mascot who gave advice and answered fan's questions. It was a goofy, quirky column, hosted by a sweet natured character that the fans enjoyed. Toyguru giving the fans a character they remember fondly as a "love letter" is cool, but turning Gorpo into an evil character with no redeeming qualities makes no sense. How is that a love letter? To me, this shows a serious lack of understanding of the nostalgia factor that Gorpo has with many of the fans.

"We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

LOL, Staples can disagree with you all day and chant praises about the Unnamed as much as he want.
        Too bad I know exactly how crappy he felt this idea was. Back in 2009, when we learnt it for the first time (yep, we both knew all along)

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Atkin View Post
          What Toyguru fails to understand about his so-called "love-letter" is that most fans probably never imagined Gorpo being turned into a villain for MOTUC. For years, the He-Man.Org community had Gorpo as a funny mascot who gave advice and answered fan's questions. It was a goofy, quirky column, hosted by a sweet natured character that the fans enjoyed.
          I had similar thoughts, but I decided to leave Gorpo to those who actually had something invested in him. But "sweet natured"? Maybe my memory's playing me false, but I thought Gorpo was actually somewhat snarky.

Originally posted by Emiliano View Post
          LOL, Staples can disagree with you all day and chant praises about the Unnamed as much as he want.
          Too bad I know exactly how crappy he felt this idea was. Back in 2009, when we learnt it for the first time (yep, we both knew all along)
          Well, maybe his feelings changed ... or maybe he's just being the good soldier.

So what other wonderful mysteries and surprises can we expect? Is Despara evil or is she just using the look to sway Horde loyalists? And if this was the final battle, what are they doing reviving Skeletor?
          Last edited by Matthew L. Martin; 03-26-2014, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• Captain Atkin
            Captain Atkin commented
            Editing a comment
            Gorpo may have been snarky at times, but he certainly wasn't evil. Well... not totally evil... lol... He basically came across as Orko's jealous brother. It was all done in good fun. Here is a Gorpo column form the old He-Man.Org:

http://old.he-man.org/site_sects/spe...po_index.shtml

Krona was always a blue guy. He tried to discover the secrets of the universe and was disembodied and banished. In 1965! He then came back as a big evil in I think 1982. Not sure why the Geoff Johns thing is relevant. I didn't even remember him doing anything with Krona.

Comment

Someone should send a lover letter to Scott.

Having the creative reins for MOTU handled by a guy who thinks swapping Stinkor's forearms is "pretty cool" is just a recipe for disaster.

He sure could take his fan-fiction elsewhere.
            Last edited by barrasco; 03-26-2014, 09:32 PM.
            “Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate." ― Ron Jeremy

Comment

This is like if George Lucas were to say Jar Jar is the love letter to fans.
              And that Jar Jar was the force behind Palpatine.
              “A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• Anti-Guru
                Anti-Guru commented
                Editing a comment
                Didn't Jar Jar fill in as senator and vote for all powers to be given to Palpatine?

Originally posted by D.M. View Post
              This is like if George Lucas were to say Jar Jar is the love letter to fans.
              And that Jar Jar was the force behind Palpatine.
              That's also how I saw it! Funny!!!

Comment

The Jar Jar comparison would make sense if he was revealed as the ultimate Sith force even bigger and more powerful than Palpatine.
                "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

Originally posted by Draego-Man View Post
                  The Jar Jar comparison would make sense if he was revealed as the ultimate Sith force even bigger and more powerful than Palpatine.
                  Well, he DID sort of help put Palpatine in power. Not quite the same thing, but pretty bad, still.

Comment

The fact that these drones don't address ANY aspect as bad is what grinds my gears. Say you love the figure, say you love the alternate head, say you love the stand, the staff and the green blast accessory, say you touch yourself when you read the bio - BUT don't tell me that the tooling/paint apps are worth the additional money, we paid for half a figure.

I am not too jazzed about the Horde World Map either. Although I did have have expectations and was secretly excited to see it. They could have taken screen shots of the Prometheus website interactive website about space and made me happier.
                    “Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
                    Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

• MegaGearMax
                      MegaGearMax commented
                      Editing a comment
                      There IS criticism in that thread. Some fans spoke about the whole Green Lantern influence, the UNO's unfortunate timing during the wrap up year, TG's penchant for "fan-fiction" or bad writing, the legitimacy of making up UNO and more.

Finally read the "love letter" explanation. What a total jerk and a liar. Sorry, I'm just calling a spade a spade.
                    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

If Scott knew the Unnamed One was Gorpo since 2009, why didn't the Four Horsemen know this was Gorpo when they were sculpting it?

Comment

• Draego-Man
                        Draego-Man commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Easy, Lie-Or strikes again!

• Captain Atkin
                        Captain Atkin commented
                        Editing a comment
                        When the Four Horsemen where designing Fisto, I doubt they knew that Scott would give the figure the "real name" of Malcom in his bio, or that Jitsu's real name would be Chopper. Scott tends to keep those bios close to his chest until the figures are released.

A good point raised on the .org...you don't need to explain a love letter.

Comment

• barrasco
                        barrasco commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's basic... though for a dumb guy like ***guru damage control maneuvers are the only solution...

• GREP-A-TOR
                        GREP-A-TOR commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Very true. He does try, and many believe his weasel ass.

Originally posted by Emiliano View Post

Heroic human battering ram, catapult, and space warp device.

https://battleram.wordpress.com/

Comment

Realistically, its absurd to "hate" any figure, or inanimate object. That's just silly.

That said, even assuming you can divorce this figure from what the current brand manager intends it to be, or, indeed, from the current brand manager himself, the elephant in the room is that subscribers paid $25 for half a figure with a lot of new tooling that would have been better invested elsewhere. Now that I have it in hand, do I hate the figure? No, because it would be unreasonable to "hate" it. Do I think it is a spectacular waste of my money and resources? Oh, my yes.
                        Not every beast is tender, especially if there is genius in his making.

Comment

I still hate it... and yes, I HATE it.

Comment

Regarding Cornboy
                            The 4H knows the bios and the real names, but I wouldn't be surprised if CB didn't take a second read to them since 2008 and simply forgot.
                            Or, most likely, Scott told them the Unnamed One real name had been changed. It wouldn't be the first time Neitlich spread false info to his collaborators trying to find who leaks informations.
                            I honestly refuse to think CB consciously lied to fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Draego-Man View Post
                              I said "IF". :P
                              “A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

The concept for the unnamed one is a joke. I couldn't imagine the brainstorming that went on to turn the unnamed one into gorpo. I remember toyguru saying he had notes from the original line, to help develop the character. That was a total lie. Then he is always contradicting what he states. Toyguru " I mean, people are not going to be disappointed" Toyguru "Not every fan will be 100% satisfied and we never expected to please everyone." I find it ironic they revealed light hope so quickly. Almost as if it were damage control, for the feed back of woes from the leaked pictures of the unnamed one. That Mattel were refusing to comment on. Then there were more statements misleading like "wait till people get the real unnamed one I'm the mail". What kind of weirdo would play head games with there own customers like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Liber skull View Post
                                  The concept for the unnamed one is a joke. I couldn't imagine the brainstorming that went on ,to turn the unnamed one into gorpo. I remember toyguru saying he had notes from the original line, to help develop the character. That was a total lie. Then he is always contradicting what he states. Toyguru " I mean, people are not going to be disappointed" Toyguru "Not every fan will be 100% satisfied and we never expected to please everyone." I find it ironic they revealed light hope so quickly. Almost as if it were damage control, for the feed back of woes from the leaked pictures of the unnamed one. That Mattel were refusing to comment on. Then there were more statements misleading like " wait till people get the real unnamed one I'm the mail". What kind of weirdo would play head games with there own customers like this?
                                  The same guy who thinks it's fun to waste time and gas hunting for action figures at retail due to Mattel's crappy-ass distribution. And the same guy who thinks throwing up figures for sale at random times is "keen". Nevermind that people have to go to work or sleep, take care of children, etc. and can't monitor Mattycollector.com or the forums 24/7 for when these surprise figures go on sale. I feel that selling Spirit of Hordak that way was a terrible idea and TG still hasn't gotten the hint from all of the negative feedback the first time when he does the same with Loo-Kee and Kowl in April.

Mattycollector.com was supposed to make getting figures easier, not more difficult. Especially those fans who have subscriptions because they want every figure.

Comment

• Nemisythe
                                    Nemisythe commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Thank You.
                                    ALL IN should've told Mattel that we will buy it all from the best to the worst with no hesitation, yet the brand manage who seeming graduated with a degree in communication can't comprehend this.

• Barbecue17
                                    Barbecue17 commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    I agree man. Call me what you like, but I'm happy with probably 90-95% of what we get in the line. I still don't understand why I have to sub to an all in subscription and still fight to get other crazy little stuff like SDCC exclusives, chase figures, and random items. Why can't I just pay to add these on a month or two in advance? I mean, I sort of understand Mattycollector would probably want some traffic on their forums, but they don't really do anything to bring us there. Heck, for some brands (DC) they don't even answer questions anymore. You think they'd rather have guaranteed sales than me visiting their site 5 or 6 times a year.

Originally posted by MegaGearMax View Post

The same guy who thinks it's fun to waste time and gas hunting for action figures at retail due to Mattel's crappy-ass distribution. And the same guy who thinks throwing up figures for sale at random times is "keen". Nevermind that people have to go to work or sleep, take care of children, etc. and can't monitor Mattycollector.com or the forums 24/7 for when these surprise figures go on sale. I feel that selling Spirit of Hordak that way was a terrible idea and TG still hasn't gotten the hint from all of the negative feedback the first time when he does the same with Loo-Kee and Kowl in April.

Mattycollector.com was supposed to make getting figures easier, not more difficult. Especially those fans who have subscriptions because they want every figure.
                                  Absolutly... which is why I am inclined to think he really does it on purpose. Even the dumbest of humans can understand that fans don't like chase figures, and Neitlich is well aware of it. Does he give a crap? No, in fact... he continues to do it anyway knowing full well that customers friggin hate it. Any other brand manager would think twice about it and maybe reconsider the idea... Neitlich pretty much tells the fans to go fluck off. Then during the sub push, act's like he's everyones friend and begs us to unite and buy subs... along with promises of great things to come.

Comment

• Barbecue17
                                    Barbecue17 commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Yeah, the chase figure thing was really strange. I'm really shocked that any fans popped up to defend it. OK, I'm not really shocked. Chase figures had a point in the past. In the mid-late 90's and maybe early 2000s, when figures and collectible lines on store shelves were plentiful, chase figures were relevant. They kept you coming back to the store every week when lines restocked. And if you didn't find the chase figure, odds are you let with something else. These days, no one does that. There just aren't that many collector focused retail lines and stores don't restock most stuff that often. With the sub model being the predominant way MOTUC figures are sold, my best guess is that Mattel thought customers might throw an essentials item or something like the stands in an order to help justify shipping costs. Unfortunately, with the way things don't stay in your cart on Mattycollector, no one is going to do that.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X