Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Melaktha - essential in MotUC or killin teh lien?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melaktha - essential in MotUC or killin teh lien?

Apparently, the character that has appeared the most in Filmation that does not have an official figure is Imp. No surprise there. The second figure is Melaktha.

Who's he? What do you think? Should he get a figure for his 6 Filmation appearances?
    “Censorship always defeats it own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion." ― Henry Steele Commager

Absolutely, positively ESSENTIAL! He is very close to being a main character in Filmation, so without a doubt figure worthy.
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

Melaktha is the royal archeologist in the Filmation cartoon, and he was always out searching for ancient ruins and artifacts to learn about Eternia's past. I find it cool to have an archeologist character as part of the mythos. I think he is essential to MOTUC.
      "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

Correction: Melaktha was the horrible royal archeologist in Filmation. As in, the guy who couldn't open a door because it was covered in vines (there were like two spindly vines), or would barrel into an ancient ruin without giving a thought to there being any traps (Protip: Its Eternia. There is always going to be a trap. Or two. Or twelve),

I don't object to his inclusion, but only after all previously made figures from every era get a Classics version. And since that won't happen, then...

Honestly, if people though Dekker was a boring character, they would really scream and howl over Melaktha. Regardless, he has his fans. If they want him, more power to them.
        Not every beast is tender, especially if there is genius in his making.

Comment

I like Melaktha, but he does seem like he would be a somewhat bland figure. If he had a cool robe on and maybe some spectacular accessories/ artifacts, I could see him turning out pretty neat, though. He's definitely got more Filmation appearances than many other one and done characters that people talk about as being A-list essentials.

Comment

Despite his numerous appearances, he's not an essential for my collection and would pretty much dethrone Battle Lion as the bottom of the barrel. There's just nothing visually appealing about the character that would make me want to own him in my collection. I'd rather spend that $25 on something that has some visual appeal or a even couple of Meteorbs.

Comment

I think Melaktha has the same problem as most talking head characters--he's dull as an action figure. At least Dekker was a warrior of some sort.

Comment

• Mechanizor
                Mechanizor commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed... If he was a warrior or a wizard with a cool appeal and weapons, I would welcome him too, but his Filmation stance as a civilian isn't appealing to me...

Gbagok's solved the "looks dull" problem. Mattel should go Filmation but they could augment that with some toyetic armor just like vintage Randor!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...melaktha-1.png
              Once upon a time, good advice was "be kind Rewind"now nobody remembers the past.

Masters of the universe The LOST TALES (a series of vintage style fan-comics and children's books)

Comment

No thanks. This guy is boring as F.
              "The first condition of progress is that there is no censorship"

Happy in his folly, the fool embraces the devil...

IDH Custom toys

Comment

As one of Eldor's two chief boosters for the past few years (hi, Shawn!), I don't know if I have a leg to stand on when it comes to 'boring'. I do think he's fairly low priority, unless you're counting by sheer number of appearances or trying to impose some sort of Filmation character quota. Even when he shows up, he seems to be used primarily as a way to get the story going than as a key player in resolving it. Then again, it's been a while since I watched Filmation.

Comment

• Shawn
                  Shawn commented
                  Editing a comment

I'm going to ignore the nerve grating 'leet speak' in this thread title and share my feelings about the character. He may have had a 6 episode appearance, however he is visually boring. Like so many forgettable Filmation characters (I'd tell you their names, but I've forgotten them), he just doesn't hold any interest for me. He would be an easy pass.

Here's an example. Now that we have Granamyr, some fans have requested Sorrowful as a great parts reuse. He did have several cartoon appearances. Personally, I have no interest in a big, stupid, cowardly dragon that cries. As much some fans seem to be able to relate to that, I do not. Shadow Wing however would be an awesome reuse of parts, and even though he only made an appearance in 1 episode, I'd gladly take him over the aforementioned cry baby.

The very vocal forum regulars may ask for one thing, but I would like to think the vast majority of moderate fans, would purchase something else if it was visually interesting, and was a new take on an old favorite. Not because it was a perfect rendition of a vague childhood memory.
                Last edited by Sky Runner; 04-08-2014, 04:57 AM.

Comment

• Matthew L. Martin
                  Matthew L. Martin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "I'm going to ignore the nerve grating 'leet speak' in this thread title "

It's an inside joke for old-time fans--it somehow became a catchphrase in discussions of the 200X line.

Visually, Melaktha is a bit boring. One way to get around that might be to give him armor to go over the light blue shirt. One vintage armor that could work well for this character would be the jet sled/stilt stalker armor. The blue would go well with his outfit, and it would give us a cool armor that could also be used with other figures. As well, the plug in feature on the back of the Jet Sled armor could be used to attach a back pack for carrying tools and artifacts.

"We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

• Shawn
                  Shawn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  and Bingo was his name-o! Make the chest symbol removable like it was on the foe men. Give him the crest of central Tower Flag? (I can't find a good photo...)

• Barbecue17
                  Barbecue17 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a cool idea!

Super-boring action figure, but I want one of him soooo bad! I loved his character, and while not a warrior, he was one of the few prominent black characters (Afriternian, if you prefer), and his low-tooled design as well as his role as archaeologist is a perfect excuse for the Horsemen to include a bunch of neat little artifacts from Filmation!

Comment

One concern with Melaktha that occured to me--wouldn't he look a bit ridiculous on the standard male buck? Now, if they develop a slimmer buck for characters like Lizard Man or MYP Prince Adam, he'd make a good low-tool character for 2016 or beyond.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X