It's Official: Ruben is gone!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Official: Ruben is gone!!

Brandon Sopinsky replaces Ruben Martinez on Mattel's design team for Classics...

Posted by Toyguru at Mattycollector.com
    Ruben did indeed wrap up his tenure on Classics a few months back. NA Skeletor was actually his last figure and now Brandon Sopinsky, whom fans might know from his awesome work on the Matty Voltron line, has come on board. I've already seen some of his work on the 2015 line (pending sub sell in) and it is really top notch! He definately went the extra mile on the Jan figure adding clear plastic to some parts to really make the fig pop.

This is all part of the ever cycling talent pool. Mattel always cycles its designers every few years as standard opportating procedure.
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Oh, and Scooter is still using phrases like "really make the fig pop". We all know what that means.

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

I fail to see why this is relevant at this point, the damage has already been done... the line is a mess and they will do nothing to address the screw ups.
      “Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate." ― Ron Jeremy

Comment

• MegaGearMax
        MegaGearMax commented
        Editing a comment
        Ruben isn't around to screw up future figures. That's a big plus going forward. I hope Brandon does a much better job.

• barrasco
        barrasco commented
        Editing a comment
        It's not guaranteed that Brandon will be doing a better job, and you still have Scott's ineptitude. Also, the damage as already been done as far as I'm concerned.

But hey, if that indeed helps cleaning up the mess going forward, and it makes you guys who still collect happy, then I'm happy for you guys.

If this really happened months ago, why are we only hearing about this now?

Good news nonetheless, but it still doesn't fix the issues with Intergalactic Skeletor.
      "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

Well, that's some good news, for now...

Comment

So they replace Ruben with the guy that caused the mess with Voltron. Talk about failing up. I guess the good news is there are no spring activated mechanics in MOTUC. Man can't believe I broke my MOTU self exile for this news.

Comment

• Draego-Man
            Draego-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Uh oh, how did he screw up Voltron?

• darkhawk411
            darkhawk411 commented
            Editing a comment
            The spring loaded legs would suddenly pop open and it didn't balance well. I never read any complaints about the figs so he might be ok.

RIP MOTUC.
          “A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Good riddance.
            Thanks for the memories Ruben!

Comment

Posted by Toyguru at Mattycollector.com
              Ruben did indeed wrap up his tenure on Classics a few months back. NA Skeletor was actually his last figure and now Brandon Sopinsky, whom fans might know from his awesome work on the Matty Voltron line, has come on board. I've already seen some of his work on the 2015 line (pending sub sell in) and it is really top notch! He definately went the extra mile on the Jan figure adding clear plastic to some parts to really make the fig pop.

This is all part of the ever cycling talent pool. Mattel always cycles its designers every few years as standard opportating procedure.
              A shame they don't cycle their brand managers as well...
              I guess brand managers like Toyguru aren't considered part of the "talent pool".
              “The internet treats censorship as a malfunction and routes around it." ― John Perry Barlow

Comment

• Draego-Man
                Draego-Man commented
                Editing a comment
                No kidding. And so crazy that he has to say this is about cycling. They should have FIRED his ass and Scooter's too!

Basically any figure shipping between May and Aug (including the SDCC items) were transition figures that both Ruben and Brandon worked on. After Aug Brandon picks up figures Ruben started and in Dec/Jan it is all Brandon. (if that helps). The change happened about 4-5 months ago.
              more stuff...

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                Captain Atkin commented
                Editing a comment
                More deflection...

In the mean time, we get substandard figures like Intergalactic Skeletor.

• Mechanizor
                Mechanizor commented
                Editing a comment
                Pretty much he's saying expect the rest of the year to be full of amazing blunders!

Good luck Ruben, you will be missed....said no one ever. JK He'd be great working in design for Burlington Coat Factory. Thick winter coat division!

Comment

Now if we can just "cycle through" Digital River and Scott.
                Once upon a time, good advice was "be kind Rewind"now nobody remembers the past.

Masters of the universe The LOST TALES (a series of vintage style fan-comics and children's books)

Comment

More about Brandon Sopinsky : http://brandonsopinsky.com/

Comment

• Mechanizor
                    Mechanizor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Excellent art portfolio, but I wonder if his work will be beneficial for MOTUC or not! Let's hope that he'll be a much better choice than Rubinator!

A better idea would have been to hire Emiliano, which would be the best thing that ever happened to MOTU. He has proven himself again and again with amazing design sketches that Matty has often just stolen anyway... but of course Scott's ego would never let that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Draego-Man View Post
                    A better idea would have been to hire Emiliano, which would be the best thing that ever happened to MOTU. He has proven himself again and again with amazing design sketches that Matty has often just stolen anyway... but of course Scott's ego would never let that happen.
                    That act might single handedly save the line for a few more years. Emiliano would have that trust factor with the fans.

Comment

• Draego-Man
                      Draego-Man commented
                      Editing a comment
                      For MANY more years I'm sure. Emiliano is a MOTU superstar, not a hack like these other jokers.

• Battle Ram Man
                      Battle Ram Man commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Absolutely. But Mattel continues to cut off its note to spite its face

• Shawn
                      Shawn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That tracks: They created Skeletor ;-)

...Emiliano works for HASBRO, Lol...

Comment

• Draego-Man
                      Draego-Man commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Cuz they are a company with brains.

• D.M.
                      D.M. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      "Cuz they are a company with brains." Eeeeh.... sort of.

• KOLOBOSREXX
                      KOLOBOSREXX commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ...Yeah, I don't rate Hasbro ANY HIGHER than I woumd Mattel for the same sort of issues... mainly utter mismanagement and marketing of their Marvel & G.I. Joe lines!!

Emiliano and Scott would be indeed a bloodbath mix! LOL

Comment

• Shawn
                      Shawn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Solution: get rid of Scott ;-)

Originally posted by Y2Greg View Post
                    Good luck Ruben, you will be missed....said no one ever. JK He'd be great working in design for Burlington Coat Factory. Thick winter coat division!
                    Dude, you killed it.
                    “Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
                    Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Photonik View Post
                      More about Brandon Sopinsky : http://brandonsopinsky.com/
                      I wish him the best - but after being kicked around way too much - the fans will be on him like white on rice when there is a design problem.

I do not envy his position one bit.
                      “Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
                      Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

• JimPansen
                        JimPansen commented
                        Editing a comment
                        From his portfolio he seems to be more an artist then designer. Hope he´s able to deal with the technical dificulties and above all doesn´t want to leave his mark, as artists like to do such things.

Unfortunately the new guy's previous work (Voltron) was poorly received by fans, poorly designed mechanics, and of dubious quality, especially with paint. So while I hope things change for the better, I also have this lingering doubt that he may be just as bad, if not worse. I wonder how well he'll handle getting thrown under the bus by Scott, or what the fans have to say about his work.
                      “What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."― Salman Rushdie

Comment

Wait a minute... if Fat Ass Skeletor is the last figure in which Ruben put his filthy hands on, does it mean that Double "Chin" Trouble is the sole work of Brandon?
                        “Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate." ― Ron Jeremy

Comment

Originally posted by barrasco View Post
                          Wait a minute... if Fat Ass Skeletor is the last figure in which Ruben put his filthy hands on, does it mean that Double "Chin" Trouble is the sole work of Brandon?
                          It was propably the 4HM's design, however a dark paint should've been added to cover the chin.

Comment

I don't think so, since the revealed pictures of the prototype showed that this problem only happened after the figure was translated into a mass production piece. It was either by the hands of Ruben or Brandon.

Comment

Originally posted by barrasco View Post
                              I don't think so, since the revealed pictures of the prototype showed that this problem only happened after the figure was translated into a mass production piece. It was either by the hands of Ruben or Brandon.
                              If you were talking about this picture, it was photosshoped:

Even the prototype has the problem at the convention but it wasn't so obvious!

Comment

• barrasco
                                barrasco commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Well if that's true, then this was one of the few screw ups by the 4HM. They're only human. It still looks way better than the mass production figure, namely the collar.

• Mechanizor
                                Mechanizor commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I'm still not sure about the 4HM's screw-up though, I think when they designed her chin/neck paint application was also in mind. I think Mattel didn't address the issue or even cared to begin with! Ultimately it's Rubin/Mattel's mistake!

Good Riddance! Now, let's hope Brandon is a lot more competent than Ruben.
                              “Censorship always defeats it own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion." ― Henry Steele Commager

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X