Figures that did not sell well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figures that did not sell well

I have been thinking how many particular figures in MOTUC were not selling well or the interest was low since the beginning of the line.

Some I noticed over the years turned out to be poor sellers:

Megator-many fans dont have a clue who he is since back in the 80's he was only available in some parts of europe.
    Tytus-see above explanation
    Castle Grayskull-price being too much
    Gygor and Shadow Beast-again some fans not familiar with them
    Vykron-well he just sucks as concept
    Mighty Spector-the winner for the all time worst MOTUC figure
    Wind raider-did not left much impression on people and to some extent it is a boring design and vehicle
    Snake-man-at=arms wasted variant
    King Hsss-people hated his second skin
    Clawful-people hated that he looks like a muppet
    Buzz off-in many opinions childish design

Feel free to ad others

I'm not really sure what didn't sell well initially, but the cheapest figures on ebay seem to be:

Zodac (two-pack version)
    Netossa
    Icarius
    Mo-Larr
    Dekker
    Marzo
    Faceless One
    Adam
    Sy-Klone

etc.

Some of that is influenced by Big Lots liquidation, though.

Buzz-Off, IMO, is one of the greatest figures of the line.
    Heroic human battering ram, catapult, and space warp device.

https://battleram.wordpress.com/

Comment

I notice The Faceless One going for low prices on ebay despite looking really good IMO. Poor old Hydron, I think some ebayers will have to give this figure away as a mystery bonus item.

Comment

I like the vintage look of buzz even when I was a kid he was one of my favorites. I usually prefer vintage looks in the new figures. New adventures of he-man figures are great as far as I'm concerned but to great deal of people out there that is just not he-man.

Originally posted by Battle Ram Man View Post
        I'm not really sure what didn't sell well initially, but the cheapest figures on ebay seem to be:

Zodac (two-pack version)
        Netossa
        Icarius
        Mo-Larr
        Dekker
        Marzo
        Faceless One
        Adam
        Sy-Klone

etc.

Some of that is influenced by Big Lots liquidation, though.

Buzz-Off, IMO, is one of the greatest figures of the line.

Comment

Some 2011 figures were greatly overproduced...they didn't stick around because they were unpopular characters.

Comment

I got to disagree with the reference to the Windraider being boring, it's one of the finest items - by far - that you can get in this collection. I don't know why it didn't sell better, but if you don't have it you're surely missing out on a great piece!
            “Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate." ― Ron Jeremy

Comment

• MegaGearMax
              MegaGearMax commented
              Editing a comment
              The Wind Raider was overproduced too. It's funny...thanks to this and other overproduced items, we get UNDERproduced Horde Troopers.

• barrasco
              barrasco commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd say then the people handling the production numbers are really clueless. Though I still tend to believe that some of that is pure manipulation for a fake sense of scarcity.

• Stevan
              Stevan commented
              Editing a comment
              I do have wind raider myself but the reason why I find it kinda boring is because there are no lasers or other weapons on it. It looks just too plain for my taste. I would have prefered to see land shark,talon fighter or fright fighter.

Vykron - awesome idea, but a poorly made action figure. Giving him a name that sounded similar to "Vikor" was also a bad idea.
            The Mighty Spector - seen by most fans as a vanity project. Although it sold well at Mattycollector, the figure sells very poorly on the secondary market.
            Mo-Larr - goofy novelty concept, sold at an expensive price.
            "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

• Novelty
              Novelty commented
              Editing a comment
              Heh. First time I've seen goofy next to my name

Originally posted by Captain Atkin View Post
            The Mighty Spector - seen by most fans as a vanity project. Although it sold well at Mattycollector, the figure sells very poorly on the secondary market.
            And that's how I consider if a figure is sought after or not. There's always the chance of it being underproduced or pulled early, in Spector's case I really fail to see how - after everything considered - such figure could be a success, the fact it's so cheap on the secondary market actually means it was instead a (suck)cess...
            “Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate." ― Ron Jeremy

Comment

Originally posted by Stevan View Post
              Gygor and Shadow Beast-again some fans not familiar with them
              Price was likely a key factor there too.
              “A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Hydron is the worst selling figure of the line. He took Icarius' spot. Now Icarius is cool, because he can be re-used and simple parts swaps make him a good "buck".

Sy-Klone is another poor performer. Not only was his update nonexistent from MOTU, his body cannot necessarily be used for customs.

The TRU combo of Green Lantern and Zodac has been a poor seller all along, right up there with hawk Man and Stratos, then Mer-Man and Aqu-Man.

Megator along with Molar Skeletor were obviously vastly over-produced.

Marzo and Adora round up the list.
                “Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
                Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

Can anyone remember what the maximum quantity of horde troopers each customer could buy from matty was?
                  I wish they had limited it to 5 two packs per buyer. It would have helped control the crazy re-selling.

Comment

What, no one's mentioned Battleground Teela yet? She's been hanging around the Mattycollector store at a cut-rate price for a couple of years.

Comment

• GREP-A-TOR
                      GREP-A-TOR commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Because she is so mediocre we all just forgot about her. When Adoras finally run out, customizers will start buying BG Teela.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X