Thoughts on packaging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on packaging?

To date, I have about 16 MOTUC figures but have yet to remove them from the packaging. I definitely WANT to take them out, leaving them MOC is for collectors concerned about re-sale value and I have no intention of ever selling them. I'm wondering if I should bother keeping the packaging or not. What do you guys do with yours? I know vintage MOTU packaging is somewhat valuable depending on its condition.

:twobad::twobad::twobad:

I find this MOTUC packaging so damn boring... if you share this sentiment just throw it into the garbage, and don't bother reading the bios either you'll save precious time for things that matter.
    “Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate." ― Ron Jeremy

Comment

I would just toss it if you are not keeping it MOC. That stuff can clutter pretty fast. Plus, it isn't difficult to find scans of the bios online.
      "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

Fot the ones I open, I normally keep the back cards with the bios, the name labels/tags, the MOTUC logos and throw the rest in the recycle-bin.

Comment

• Robarr The Morbid
          Robarr The Morbid commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahh, good idea! I have far too much clutter in my house as it is.

Originally posted by Mechanaizor View Post
        Fot the ones I open, I normally keep the back cards with the bios, the name labels/tags, the MOTUC logos and throw the rest in the recycle-bin.
        Dude you keep the bios!? Don't tell me you're a Neitlicker!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2390790-9351094816-i-kid.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	18057
        “Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate." ― Ron Jeremy

Comment

Originally posted by barrasco View Post

Dude you keep the bios!? Don't tell me you're a Neitlicker!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n18057[/ATTACH]
          I really don't give two craps about the bios, I collect the cards for two reasons: a) The vintage art, b) If one day I decided to give them away or sell them, the new owner/s would have something more than just figures.

Comment

• barrasco
            barrasco commented
            Editing a comment
            Nope, and now that I think of it I wish I was neighbours with Mattel HQ in El Segundo. I desperately need to poop...

• Mechanizor
            Mechanizor commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, I should supply you with more cards once you arrive!

• barrasco
            barrasco commented
            Editing a comment
            Been drinking a lot of Tabasco!

I keep my figures MOC, because I think they make a great display piece. My 200x figures are loose, and that's all I need to pose. Every now and then I pick up a random loose MOTUC just to have something to play with. I don't care about resell, I really just like the look of the entire MOC set.

If you want to open them, open them. The value of collectibles is only really perceived value. You actually have to find someone willing to pay $300 for Shadoweaver before she's actually worth that much.

Comment

• Shawn
            Shawn commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed. Even things like money and gold only "have value" because most of us agree that they do. "render unto caesar what is caesar's" ;-)

I keep the bios, only to have in case I ever sell the whole set.
          "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

I keep the outer box, they are useful tools for organizing small amount of stuff without having to waist money on plastic tubs which take up more space and produce more toxic materials that are harmful to the environment. I also recycle all the plastic, paper and rubber bands.

I keep teh bioz becuase I was brainwhased by Mattel as an even younger child. ;-) (brain washing isn't ALWAYS bad, it just often is...)
            Last edited by Shawn; 06-09-2014, 04:33 AM.
            Once upon a time, good advice was "be kind Rewind"now nobody remembers the past.

Masters of the universe The LOST TALES (a series of vintage style fan-comics and children's books)

Comment

Step One: Keep Everything
              Step Two: PROFIT!!!!!!!
              “Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
              Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Robarr The Morbid View Post
                To date, I have about 16 MOTUC figures but have yet to remove them from the packaging. I definitely WANT to take them out, leaving them MOC is for collectors concerned about re-sale value and I have no intention of ever selling them. I'm wondering if I should bother keeping the packaging or not. What do you guys do with yours? I know vintage MOTU packaging is somewhat valuable depending on its condition.

:twobad::twobad::twobad:
                Well it really depends on what vintage packaging it is. Boxes with inserts and everything will sell but empty cardbacks are usually not worth the space they take up. Mass produced modern toys won't ever really reach the prices of the 80's toys, so the packaging will not really be worth anything by itself, with few, few exceptions. Maybe the boxes for Grayskull or Wind Raider- because these are two larger items and people throw the boxes away, but I can't see cluttering up your house with empty MOTUC cards for like only $20, fifteen years from now.

I keep the bio cards for completeness sake (because as some pointed out technically a "loose complete figure" would include the bio card) and the full boxes for Grayskull but that's about it.

If you're interesting in keeping the "MOC" look but still want to open and mess with the figures, some people have made cool custom MOTUC clamshells that open and close and have cool 80's red & blue style backgrounds. Here is a link: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...shell-Case-Art! The ones at the link are character specific, but I am pretty sure I saw a cleaner, non-specific version in a case at Toy Tokyo in NYC this summer.
                “What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."― Salman Rushdie

Comment

• Robarr The Morbid
                  Robarr The Morbid commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sweet!! Thanks very much!

• _RZ_
                  _RZ_ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No problem!

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...