Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No more MOTUC or Minis. MOTU Imaginext, Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more MOTUC or Minis. MOTU Imaginext, Anyone?

Click this link if you don't care about what I have to say. https://myfpideas.com/servlet/hype/I...extId=12865397

I have a feeling this will be a hard sell here, but I just ask you to hear me out. Thanks to dcdadcollects over at www.myfpideas.com, there's a popular idea for Fisher-Price to make MOTU part of the very successful Imaginext toyline aimed for pre-schoolers. You can check this link and see what's been said about it so far https://myfpideas.com/servlet/hype/I...extId=12865397 I even encourage you all to take five minutes to create a profile and vote for this idea to make it to the next stage for Fisher-Price to seriously review this item and possibly make it a reality. If you've got kids or know someone who has kids, just think of how cool it would be for YOU to be the one turning them on to MOTU awesomeness through a toyline that appeals to them.

You might wonder how this is relevant. Well, Mattel owns FP and MOTU, so no agreements need to be made with another property owner like DC Comics. This type of fantasy action figure line seems like the perfect fit for a property like MOTU and as an avenue to get the brand exposure to a new generation. MOTU could come back to retail at a price point and appropriate exposure to appeal to casual toy buyers (parents and grandparents) as well as us hardcore collectors. It could possibly restore Mattel's faith in the brand as well if it does become a hit with today's kids. More faith in the brand means more media like movies, video games, television series, etc. All the basic Imaginext figures from DC Super Friends, to Sponge Bob, to Toy Story are all in the same scale unlike the minis from Matty. Last and certainly not least for you anti-Toyguru folks, Scott Neitlich doesn't work for Fisher-Price. You want the devil you know out of your favorite property? I'm positive your wish will come true here.

While the adult collectible stuff is very awesome for all of us in our 30s and 40s to have for nostalgia, just imagine how much sweeter the nostalgia would be to create new memories with the children in your life through MOTUi (MOTU imaginext). Yes, it's a toyline for pre-schoolers, but just ask yourself how old you were when you discovered MOTU. I was two years old and opened BA He-Man and BA Skeletor on X-Mas morning. I was in pre-school when I found the Eternia playset under the X-Mas tree and dragged my nearly complete collection of MOTU toys into the living room to play with it. I'm certain today's kids can have memories just like mine and yours if He-Man's a part of Imaginext. YOU can help make it a reality by showing Fisher-Price your support for this idea. It's rare to be able to say your input means that much over at Mattycollector.com. Again, here's the link, and it takes about five minutes to give a thumbs up and throw in your two cents https://myfpideas.com/servlet/hype/I...extId=12865397

Thanks for reading.
    I make my own MOTU video games. Wanna see?
    http://www.dailymotion.com/wallbie
    http://wallbie.deviantart.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/wallbieswarriors

I don't have kids and try to avoid them.

You got the Eternia Playset? Lucky SOB!
    “Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
    Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

• wallbie
      wallbie commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL Yeah, the box is dirty as hell and it's been dented from being stored in my parents' garage with a couple of well-fed cats inhabiting it (the garage, not the playset or box), but I've got the whole thing. I boxed my MOTU figures up when I turned 6. When I turned 9 back in 3rd grade, I talked my dad into unpacking all my boxed up MOTU figures and kept them in my room. Then I came home after a ridiculously long bus ride and pulled that Eternia box down from the stack of crap that held it up to the ceiling and put that thing together myself. My dad came home from work just as I was finishing the sky track and looked major league pissed to see what I'd done. Hey, I timed it out pretty well because I knew he usually took about two hours to get home after I got off the bus from school on Fridays. From then on for a few months, I'd play with my MOTU figures with Snake Mountain, Castle Grayskull, and Eternia all laid out on my bed for the whole weekend while I slept in a sleeping bag on the floor. Now who else can say they did that? LOL

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I had the Fright Zone in that mix somewhere. I think it ended up behind Snake Mountain or something.

• Novelty
      Novelty commented
      Editing a comment
      Why was your dad "pissed" when he saw you with eternia?

• wallbie
      wallbie commented
      Editing a comment
      He wasn't happy about me bugging him about getting my He-Man toys out in the first place because that meant getting into our garage with all kinds of crap piled high to the ceiling. There was seriously a path down the middle from the garage door to the washer and dryer and to the door that led to the kitchen. If you saw the home I grew up in, it was like pack rat city and most of it wasn't my stuff until they started boxing up my old toys.

I think he was more mad about the idea that I climbed on top of a very unstable pile of stuff consisting of his work table with his tools and a bunch of packed cardboard boxes where Eternia in its box was on top. Like I said, I was 9 years old inching that box down to get my hands on it and then heft it down to the dryer where I could stabilize it and get myself down to the floor and take it the rest of the way into the house. He likely had issue with me putting it up in the living room because it's such a big playset and he thought I had intentions of keeping it in there. I was able to pick the whole thing up and get it into my room and show him I could be responsible about it. Throughout the week, I kept Eternia next to my bed on the floor and then I'd get it on my bed where it would stay for the whole weekend.

I don't know why my dad got mad about me playing with those toys again because I didn't play my Nintendo as much when I had them down. Also, I was going out on my trampoline and playing like I was He-Man with one of my many plastic swords.

Well I for one think it is a great idea. Kids help us remember what Toys are all about IMO.
    Once upon a time, good advice was "be kind Rewind"now nobody remembers the past.

Masters of the universe The LOST TALES (a series of vintage style fan-comics and children's books)

Comment

I'm not into it myself, however I don't mind it for those who would collect this stuff... But I prefer seeing a building bricks line instead, and since LEGO isn't an option anymore after Mattel has had acquired MegaBloks just recently, I won't mind having a MegaBlocks MOTU line in my collection, although I'm a faithful LEGO superfan since I was a toddler basically.

Comment

• Mechanizor
        Mechanizor commented
        Editing a comment
        Of course, he is also a member of my online group. ;-)

• Novelty
        Novelty commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, Germans stick together

• Mechanizor
        Mechanizor commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not german at all (Alex is), I live in California USA, but LEGO fans around the world have become a large community since the inception of the public internet basically, (Much like the MOTU community) of course such a community has also branched out into sub communities of all types, interests, ages, styles, themes, and so forth, and we're still adapting and growing. Having said that, a bunch of us especially builders (customizers) try to keep following and sharing each other's work whenever possible for inspiration and learning each others tricks and styles, much like any other art medium.

I didn't know Mattel acquired Mega Blocks. I'm totally behind that as well. Obviously LEGO appeals to kids and adults alike. Doesn't Mega Blocks have this WoW and Halo franchises? If that's the case, MOTU would be a perfect addition.

Comment

While I love the concept of a motu range aimed at kids I just hate the idea of motu having anything to do with fisher price.

To me fisher price toys are for kids under 4 years old. By the time I was 3 I had abandoned all my fisher price toys in favour of proper action figures like motu. A new cartoon or movie is the only way I can see kids getting into the franchise.

Once kids become to old for these toys will they move onto a new range based on the same characters? I have doubts about this.
        I had no interest in toy cars after my parents got rid of the old fisher price garage. From that point on toy cars were for babies in my eyes.

Comment

I can see where you're coming from, but another great benefit about Fisher-Price's Imaginext line is affordability. Sure, you've got really cool action figure lines like Marvel Legends and DC Universe Classics that appeal to both kids and adults, but you don't see any vehicles or playsets in those lines. We're talking about figures that are around $20 each. At least for Imaginext you've got playsets that are pretty grand and have some decent features at a price point similar to something like Castle Grayskull was back in the 80s. Some of the vehicles come with figures at the same price point ($6-$8) as a regular figure with some significant accessories or a figure two pack. For example: you can get a Catwoman with a whip, pet cat and motorcycle for the same price as you'd get a two pack of Superman and Wonder Woman with the Lasso of Truth; and the same as you'd get for a knight with removable armor, one or two weapons and possibly a horse.

The target age is 3-8 for these toys. While you were ready at that age to go straight to more sophisticated action figures, this could be a good transition for kids who still might not be ready to make that next step for whatever reason. Also, my four-year-old son had two of his friends stay the night last week. One is five and the other is like eight or nine. I would check in on them and they were playing with his Imaginext Batcave, Gotham City Jail, the Dragon Castle and all the figures that were apart of that line.

Comment

I'm not interested in any more Mattel products. Once Classics (or Signatures) is done I'm completely out.
            "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

Cool drawings, but I'm still not interested. Too kiddie for my taste. My 2 year old would like them though. He loves He-Man. Sadly my 6 and 7 year old don't care anymore all they like now is Ninjago and Chima.
              "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

• Novelty
                Novelty commented
                Editing a comment
                Is that why lego's profits are going up while Mattel is going down? Food for thought.

Sorry guys, these were deleted by accident, so I want to resend these right now. These are some concept artwork for a possible Imaginext MOTU collection. They may not be for everyone but I'm sure there are those out there with kids or nephews that would like to pass on the legend of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe to little kids (age 3-8) at a price point that is very affordable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FP MOTU CONCEPT 1.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	19570Click image for larger version

Name:	FP IMAGINEXT MOTU 2.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	19571Click image for larger version

Name:	FP MOTU CONCEPT - 3.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	19572Click image for larger version

Name:	FP MOTU CONCEPT - 4.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	19573
              Attached Files

Comment

If you think these would be cool for your children or for the child inside you please go to myfpideas.com (search Imaginext Masters of the Universe) vote and comment.

Comment

They look cool DC dad. But I'm tired out of all the Matty and Mattel scare tactic and shenanigans. I think I'll cherry pick from these if they come to fruition, but I'd be wary of "not a bath toy" and "just like you remember it" and "we got the original recipe" and "pretty cool huh?"
                  “Censorship always defeats it own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion." ― Henry Steele Commager

Comment

Hey Novelty thanks man I appreciate that. One thing I wanted to say is Mattel is not making these figures Fisher Price would be. I know technically they are own by the same company but they actually run in two separate divisions, have two separate design teams, hell Mattel is the bay area and Fisher Price in New York. Mattel sells items more for the collector. Fisher Price sells toys to be played with by little kids. Mattel seems to have tortured you poor people and that really sucks but by comparison Fisher Price has been generally very good to its fans. I guess what I'm saying is this line shouldn't use Matty tactics or at least I hope so

Comment

Here are a few more designs:

Name:	FP IMAGINEXT CONCEPT - 5.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	19848
                      Attached Files

Comment

I was at a toy store today with my kids and I took a close look at the Imaginext figures. While I think they are great for very young kids, even my 6 year old was not into them. I just don't see this being viable. It would be cool, but I seriously doubt it will ever happen.

Maybe in a movie year.

Comment

Who know's man. I'll still push anyway.

Comment

• wallbie
                            wallbie commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm there with you, dude.

Honestly, these actually look awesome and also very cute, however I'd say keep an open eye over your designs, Mattel might use them one day without your authorization.

Comment

I think that's part of the user agreement over at myfpideas.com. From my understanding, it's kinda like doing the create-a-character contest.

Look, I knew it'd be a tough idea to sell here because this place is pretty much everyone who's been fed up with a lot of the crap lip service churned out by Scott and Mattel, and also fed up with the ORG not letting you have much of an opinion without a handful of people getting butthurt and having your comments and/or threads getting edited or deleted right after you post them. It all boils down to you guys feeling disrespected, and I'm inclined to agree.

Regardless of all that, you guys are still He-Fans and She-Ravers. Why did you 30-40 year old adults join message boards on the Internet where most of the popular topics revolve around MOTU? You all didn't come here to talk about "Dumb and Dumber To", your favorite ice cream or the decriminalization of pot. Seriously, there was a common interest that drove you to invest your time on the Internet to throw your two cents in on the Internets. <- That was intended.

You grew up with this property and supported 200X and Classics because you enjoy it in one way or another. We've heard the line "maybe in a movie year" so many times that we can see it coming a mile away in a response. Tell me how many fans DON'T want to see an MOTU reboot. Well, the '87 movie was made because all of us were kids at the time buying the crap out of these toys and watching the FILMation series like it was going out of style. Imaginext could be an avenue to getting a fire lit under MOTU to be back on the big screen. If you're not sold on the potential of this idea, go check out the thread I started about this over at "Team Val" on the ORG and see a lot of the pictures Alexx posted of the regular Imaginext stuff that bears a striking resemblance to MOTU.

For whatever reason MOTU Imaginext is not for you; I get it, no hard feelings, it's cool. If your kids don't like it, that's fine. I grew up with a few kids who didn't like He-Man. What if you and your significant other aren't done creating your family? My wife and I aren't. What if this can reach the 16 and pregnant mom who has a two-year-old son, who both have no idea of what MOTU and this gets them hooked? What if similar situations happen and it becomes a growing trend? Will the mishandling and issues of Classics really matter at that point if the brand takes off again? Like I've said before, I'm positive Scott won't have a hand in this. I'm not trying to diss him or apologize for him, but I think it's time for someone else to take control. He's been working on MOTU for seven years, and it needs some new blood injected into it. With all of the MOTU lines Scott's worked on coming to an end by next year, I can't think of a better time.

Anyway, thanks for the positive feedback and for voting for the idea for those of you who have. Like I said, it's five minute of your time and doesn't hurt (your wallet, your ego, your nervous system, etc.) and can get the idea one step closer to becoming reality. Thanks for the constructive criticism because it does help. Although, I didn't catch "Snout SpRout" before, but that was funny. LOL

Like always, I'm just throwing this out there.

UPDATE: Just went by the myfpideas thread and it's not there right now. Maybe MOTUi is getting looked over by Fisher-Price.
                            Last edited by wallbie; 06-29-2014, 01:30 PM.

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                              Captain Atkin commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I doubt that I would ever buy Imaginext MOTU toys for myself, but if I had kids I would buy them in a heartbeat for them.

It's not that I don't like the concepts, it's just that I don't like Imaginext. I took a close look in the store yesterday and I could see that they only appealed to my 3 year old. Even my 6 year old thought they were boring and "for little kids". They just have a really limited demographic and I don't think adult collectors would ever get on board with them.

Comment

• wallbie
                              wallbie commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Ain't no thing, but a chicken wing, man. I meant what I said up there: I'm not going to hold your opinion against you if this really isn't something you want to get behind. Nobody should. You've got your reasons for whatever decision you choose to make, and so does everyone else. It comes down to opinion. What I said was pretty much a generic rebuttal to some of the recurring arguments against getting behind MOTUi. Just because you might have similar reasons like I addressed for having no interest in it, doesn't mean you were the only one I've seen this type of response from. This could also be good for FP if they happen to swing by this thread (doubtful) and/or the ORG (more likely), so they can gauge where the positive and negative responses are coming from besides their own site.

Like I said, I knew this place would be a tough sell. If I were to put this on Mattel's Facebook (if I had an FB account), I'd expect it to be half and half. It's picking up some steam over at the ORG slowly but surely, and that's fine. I haven't put it on the Matty forums yet. I'm a bit hesitant because I get the feeling it'll end up getting swept under the rug officially or unofficially in some fashion. If you see my video I put up for this idea, my son's 4 and he plays with both lines (MOTUC and Imaginext). He's at that age where he hops from toyline to toyline every week. I'd say keeping that in mind for kids his age is great for the Imaginext brand because their diversity could cater to children of that mindset and keep that toyline fresh for them. Both of your kids are right in their 3-8 target range, and I can see why each one has differing opinions: one is at the point where it does look really fun while the older one is transitioning to stuff much more sophisticated. It's all good.
                              Last edited by wallbie; 06-30-2014, 03:02 AM.

I'm a little nervous. Maybe dcdadcollects putting up art for five waves of figures could be behind this. As of yesterday, looks like the idea thread is back at this:

You are logged on as: [email protected]************.com.
                            Your access rights are not sufficient for the following action: This idea may have been promoted to “Fisher-Price Review??? and may no longer be publicly viewable. Please visit “View Ideas??? to see what other great ideas have been posted.

Comment

Seems to be back online not sure whats going on yet. Before you guys jump on the "I wouldn't buy this" or "It will never happen" tip...I'm well aware this is a long shot in reality. This is merely for fun and should be taken as such. Here are the ladies. These gals kicked my butt (pun intended), very difficult to make. Enjoy

Name:	FP IMAGINEXT MOTU- GIRLS.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	19971

Comment

• Shawn
                                Shawn commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Now your talking! I hate the they have yet to make even Batgirl and Supergirl. You would think that Fisher price would be more gender neutral then that. I was shocked that they made Wonder Woman's invisible jet. You can't even find that anymore. I think these have more collectors then some people realize. There is a great thread over at Actionfigureinsider.com I love lurking it. keep the gals coming, hopefully you do Shadow Weaver next!

Guys the image I just sent was the wrong one. It was not as clean as the finished product I accidentally sent the wrong image. Sorry guys this one is better.

Name:	FP IMAGINEXT MOTU GIRLS fixed.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	19984
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Novelty
                                Novelty commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I like the Evil-nips figure
                                Heh made you look

lol hahaha...

Comment

Another fun little project. I consider this like Marvel comics "What If" books made decades ago if anyone out there remembers those. This is kinda like what if Fisher Price did an exclusive two-pack for San Diego Comic Con. Enjoy guys and Happy 4th of July my friends.

Name:	imaginext heman vs superman pack.jpeg
Views:	230
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	20073

Comment

• Shawn
                                  Shawn commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  AWESOME! It could even Include a digital or mini comic of the vintage crossover or perhaps even one of the multipacks they do!

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X