The Double Trou--er--Mischief Q&A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Double Trou--er--Mischief Q&A

So I actually got one of my subscription figures within a week of the sale date! That's good!

It was Double Mischief.

That's bad.

Let's begin, shall we?

Q: So a lot of people online are saying this figure isn't too bad in hand. Do you agree?

A: I suppose, if your arms were long enough and your eyesight bad enough, she would be a decent figure in hand.

Q: What's the issue?

A: Bodywise, from the collarbone down, there are no issues, other than weak ankles. From the collarbone up, she is every bit as poorly executed as the various photos online depict - bizarre cylindrical collar, chinless face, helmet driven into her shoulders, etc. On top of that, her pony tail is entirely too heavy for her to hold up with her weak ankles. Finally, her gravity-defying, flared out cape just looks...odd.

Additionally, her reversible crossbow (which I will happily go on record as saying was an awesome idea) is made of plastic only slightly less soft than Catra's infamous gummy sword, and its two pieces don't really quite align with each, so it looks off in either configuration.

Q: Are you going to post some pictures to illustrate your issues with the figure?

A: Must I? The people defending it will accuse me of purposely taking unflattering shots. The people who can see the issues with the figure can see them perfectly well in the photos already available online. Besides, I only have one camera - I'll not risk breaking it trying to capture this thing's image.

Q: But other people have taken photos of her that don't look too bad!

A: Yes, much like an aged actor with bad plastic surgery, low, indirect lighting is her friend. Fine - she looks truly fabulous in this picture (Note the misaligned crossbow):

Lookin' Good!

Q: You seem angry. WHY ARE YOU SO ANGRY, HATER???

A: I'm not angry - I'm disappointed. Double Whatever could/should have been a character designed to appeal to both POP and MOTU fans: A beautiful, two-faced spy lady. HELLO? Who doesn't want that? Instead, we get...whatever she is. Additionally, this is the inaugural figure of the Club Etheria - an inauspicious start, to say the least.
    Not every beast is tender, especially if there is genius in his making.

It's funny and also disturbing to see that many people at the Org just accept anything that is labeled MOTUC!... If the defects don't bother you, just don't praise the item as if it was a jewel to have!

Comment

I read some of the comments on the ORG and those fools have downed a LOT of Kool-Aid.
      "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

How does the saying goes? A face only a mother could...

Click image for larger version

Name:	double mischief.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	20954
        “Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate." ― Ron Jeremy

Comment

Does anyone have a comparison shot comparing the final chin with the 4HM sculpt?
          “Censorship always defeats it own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion." ― Henry Steele Commager

Comment

Just a dreadful figure. I can't wait to get her just to fix her!
            "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

I can't say she's been a favorite or an all time want, so it's not too much of an issue for me although I really feel for my brothers and sisters of this line that have been dealt this design failure.

Comment

Expectations: Managed.
                Not every beast is tender, especially if there is genius in his making.

Comment

I think it's an insult to the brand - its history and fans - to expect each and every figure to come out flawed in hopes of not getting upset when it really happens. We joke with this "managing expectations" thing but it's so sad that it actually came from the brand manager's mouth... it goes to show the level of care and dedication he really puts into this.
                  “Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate." ― Ron Jeremy

Comment

Yet again, Matty screws POP fans. These figures are great, despite their few flaws and the website issues. This figure however is the WORST I've seen them do. Whoever thought this was good to go over at Mattel should be fired, right away. They haven't matured enough to be employed if they let this go down the line. A blind two year old with no hands could have done a better job. A dead animal on the side of the road could put in more effort. The POP product ofthe last couple years just proves that POP fans aren't paranoid- Matty really doesn't care about their dollars. Why disrespect the customers like this. To defend this toy is just dumb. Anyone defending this should be slapped in the face until they come back into our real world. Anyone defending this is a straight-up liar and is not to be trusted or respected further. You can't defend this and be an honest person, without a doubt.
                    “What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."― Salman Rushdie

Comment

• _RZ_
                      _RZ_ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ha, You gotta laugh, or else you'd cry, you know? I just feel bad for POP fans. These folks have been hardcore and devoted for decades, and some have been teased and mocked since they were children. They buy everything, everything with POP or She-Ra on it. And they get treated like second-class citizens quite often. I just don't get how She-Ra isn't treated like the A-list retro property it should be in 2014. I just think the hardcore POP loyalists deserve a little bit more respect, is all, from fellow fans and Matty.

• barrasco
                      barrasco commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Couldn't agree more.

• Mechanizor
                      Mechanizor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm not a POP fan myself, however I've always believed that POP deserved its own separate line with its own seperate budget. Forcing POP figures on none POP fans was a mistake IMO, and also wasn't fair for the dedicated POP fans to get treated in manner you've described above!
                      Yes I know that MOTU and POP have a common background, but both were initially designed and marketed for two separate demographics much like Barbie and HotWheels!

I dread picking up mine at the PO tomorrow. I'm prepared for disappointment and even got some paints to cover up the neck; but I SHOULDN'T have to break out the paints, sculpting material, Dremel, etc. to fix a $25 + shipping and taxes because Ruben a Professional Toy Designer screwed up.
                    I ♥ Glimmer!

Comment

Mechanaizor:
                      I'm not a POP fan myself, however I've always believed that POP deserved its own separate line with its own separate budget. Forcing POP figures on non POP fans was a mistake IMO, and also wasn't fair for the dedicated POP fans to get treated in manner you've described above!
                      Yes I know that MOTU and POP have a common background, but both were initially designed and marketed for two separate demographics much like Barbie and HotWheels!
                      There's a lot of debate about this issue- the origins of POP, who POP is "meant" for, and how separate MOTU is from POP, etc. While I am not a big POP fan (I have only seen a few She-Ra episodes, and only have a few of the MOTUC figures) POP is just as much MOTU as NA is or 200x or whatever other segments you want to break it down into. I think it's great that MOTUC covers *everything* and every faction. It allows collectors to have "one of everyone" in the same scale and style. You're only forced to buy things if you sub, or you really want to go complete with this line. This is why I collect this line vs. the vintage ones- everyone available, plus some, and one consistent style and scale. While they may have been designed for 2 different demographics, you can't ignore "Secret of the Sword" and the various cross-over episodes of the show. It's all one shared world, and designed as such. While one might have been designed for girls and the other for boys, She-Ra is a part of the shared world by design. While this may get many all worked up, it is what it is. No one forces anyone to buy stuff (ok, sub does) and you should get what you want to get. But to use another example: Some Star Wars fans don't like Jar-Jar. But he's part of the "universe" and by design. To try to explain him out of SW doesn't work and honestly is delusional. And there's no "rule" that says you have to buy or enjoy Jar-Jar toys or stories. So some fans just don't collect him or other prequel toys, because they don't like them. But why is POP and MOTU such a different situation? Rather than just say "I don't want to collect POP" some fans have to go overboard in their hate or explanations as to why it's not MOTU, and that's really crazy talk. I think there's a lot of male insecurity issues that come into play beyond the "I just don't like it" angle- to each their own. But why is it "girly" to have a neon-colored girl toy figure on your shelf, but "manly" to have a half-naked dude in furry underwear? Maybe these type of questions are better for another thread.

I do think they belong in the line, same budget, etc. But it's obvious- especially with this figure- that not as much attention is put towards the production and design of the POP stuff. Why is that? Some will argue that it's the Style Guide that is used as a starting point that is the problem, or Filmation itself; the figures lack the detail the rest of the MOTU figures get. But some fans complained about Bow when he came out, and some people think the detail is good enough as per the sources. I just think they don't care as much, there's not as much invested in them as guys like say Fisto, or Ram Man. At the very least, they should all come with weapons as per their vintage figure; this isn't dropped from ANY of the MOTU figures but it seems every POP figure there's something forgoten in the accessories and/or deco department. Rather than lying to us and telling us Gray is White, or whatever other "excuse of the week," just do a little better- you know, like how you did on the 1st few figures of this line that started this thing. POP isn't as popular with many MOTUC fans, and you'd have to wonder, why is that? Bad characters? Manboy insecurity? Gender roles? She-Ra has been hugely popular online over the last decade or so, especially with younger kids. So why is it that the toys are so lackluster when compared to their MOTU counterparts? The only reasons I can find that fit the picture are price-fixing and laziness.

I think in a few years when MOTUC has been retired, people will change their minds about NA, POP, and even Son of He-Man factions, and demand will make these figures popular. Lesser factions or segments have become popular after the fact with other toy lines as time went on (Star Wars and Transformers spring to mind) and while I don't see this happening too much with the vintage (too many made and out there for sale for this to happen) I could totally see people trying to complete their collections and going crazy for the POP stuff. I could see this figure and others being tough to find in a few years. But that don't make them good figures
                      “What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."― Salman Rushdie

Comment

• Mechanizor
                        Mechanizor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I somehow expected to get a long post regarding my comment... To keep things short, let me start by saying I have no ill will against any of the factions, I solely made my comment based on the subscription model, which is the most used among the Classics collectors, and forcing anyone into buying something they don't desire is not acceptable in my book!
                        Most Classics fans are collecting this line due to nostalgia, and when we were kids only the very few had the desire or the opportunity to buy all the factions we're seeing today!
                        So forcing people to buy everything and labeling it MOTUC was just a marketing pitch and a twisted one as far as I see it. Also limiting the DOS availably to squeeze people who were after certain figures into buying a major sub was a dirty move and unfair to most no matter how you sugar coat it!

Most MOTU fans wanted the vintage figures, and a bunch (like me) wanted vintage and 200X which was basically a vintage redone in a new style. Most POP fans wanted only POP, and some wanted vintage as well, and so on.
                        Now if we had a sub for each of the main factions, people at least had a better choice to get what they want, and probably for Mattel had the opportunity to give a better treatment for each unit they've produced, maybe the cost could've been a little higher than now, but QC and the overall CS could've been a lot more manageable.
                        With less frustrations and better management usually means happier customers and better spendings... But they kept saying logistics wouldn't allow for this to happen, and I keep saying Bullshit!
                        Last edited by Mechanizor; 07-24-2014, 11:42 PM.

• _RZ_
                        _RZ_ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hope you don't think I was attacking you- just kind of putting it out there about the origins, and musing on why others might think it "doesn't belong." There has been a lot of misinformation put out there in the last few years about the origins of POP (and usually it's by folks with an "agenda" of some type against that line.) and how it "fits in." Just wanted to get that out there.

As for the sub model, as we all know, it was originally meant as a way for the most devoted of collectors to "get everything" as the White Screen Of Death was a common and frustrating thing for most people who were collecting MOTUC. Fans wanted to subscribe, and get everything and not battle other fans every month, as resellers and casual fans were buying a lot of these and clogging up the website for everyone. At first this was great for everyone. Instead it was used- as originally feared by many when introduced- as a way for Mattel to get guaranteed minimum orders up front, thus allowing them to have guaranteed, predicable sales levels and no guesswork with the numbers needed for production. *This saves them tens of thousands of dollars, at a minimum, per figure, thus making each figure more profitable for Mattel to make.* As time went on, more items were added "outside" the sub, thus making its original intent of "all in for completists" obsolete. As further desire to cost-cut and maximize margins (the real issue here is profit margins) it was decided to eliminate warehouse costs- I mean, who needs warehouses for unsold product if everything "sells out" every month? That was I think the first real hard proof to customers that they were being deceived, and the whole idea of a product being "sold out" yet having thousands sitting in storage, while fans eager to buy were unable to purchase anything directly in an effort to create a "buzz" really offended a lot of people who were collecting the line. Soon after, the sub was quickly presented as "the only way to get MOTUC" and Matty pushed the idea that if you wanted one figure, you had to buy 11 others, which while for the most hardcore of hardcore was ok, just killed any newcomers or casual fans off. Some of the more wealthy, selfish, and entitled fans began using a subscription as a "guage of fandom"- a way to make themselves feel superior to others. These same fans viewed themselves as part of some elite "club"- chosen ones, as opposed to more casual fans, or ones who simply could not afford $500+ of toys a year. This in turn amplified the "battered fan syndrome" than man he-fans have had since 200x, which in time turned into intense negativity and resentment, as someone who wanted one figure were essentially told by Mattel, "You and your money are unimportant." And this resentment became worse as fansites edited critical posts, and the toys themselves sunk lower in quality and cost-cutting. Some used these issues as a way to "bully" other fans, while the most devoted and obsessive began their "positivity" push, which made further censorship and a complete disregard for any problems or issues that fans might have. And now, since the editors are "in charge" of history, Scott says the sub wasn't a fan idea, but a "necessary evil to keep the line going" which is 100% not true. The sub got turned from our idea to help us out, into something that increased greed and frankly, the wrong type of behavior in us fans as well as Mattel. Since we as fans did nothing, and let the lies pass, and forgot the values of Filmation and general good human beings in favor of a few more plastic men, we get stuff like Double Mischief here- overpriced ugly figures. Maybe if we as a community stood up for ourselves and actually practiced what we preached, we wouldn't have messes like this toy floating around. But we don't, so, maybe this is what we get. Maybe we deserve Double Mischief and Scooter.

I got my 2 Double Trouble figures last week. I've already started taking one figure apart to customize her. The head on that figure is just terrible, so I'm going to give her a new head and helmet.
                      "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

I painted her double chins black and now she looks ok.
                        "The first condition of progress is that there is no censorship"

Happy in his folly, the fool embraces the devil...

IDH Custom toys

Comment

Just got mine in hand. Doesn't look as bad as I thought once I see her in person, but I'll probably paint her chins black as well.
                          "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X