Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Snake, The Falcon and The .....??? (Teela becomes a new Totem?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Snake, The Falcon and The .....??? (Teela becomes a new Totem?)

I had something of a brain fart on the way home today from work concerning the roles both the Goddess / Sorceress(s) play in MOTU. More specifically, the idea that the characters of Sharella, Veena and Teela'Na represent animal totems in addition to just being the guardians of the Power and Secrets of Grayskull.
    Now after doing so real quick research (online) and finding some interesting theories on said animal totems; I felt a stronger correlation that these characters (whether they were thought of back then as such), function so much more with these said concepts and definitions discovered.

After reading and applying it the the MOTU mythos, I submit the idea & possibility that Teela (now taking the role of Sorceress) would possibly assume a whole new totem of her own (although the Classics canon has not revealed her new look & she appears to have adopted Sharella's Snake Motif). So what's to say Teela's new duties and purpose would not create a totem all her own?

(Note: This does slightly incorporate some of my own fan theories as well as may / may not correlate with current or prior canons).

OK, well here it goes...

The Goddess / Snake (since I didn't find Cobra, this felt close enough):

Snake symbolic meaning, overwhelmingly and in various cultures, deals with primordial life force and usually turns our attention to gender supremacy (both male and female).

Consequently, snakes span the symbolic bridge between lunar and solar associations as well as aspects between water and fire.

Coiled within this polarity, we clearly see symbolism of duality and the search for balance.

The Sorceress /Falcon:
    The Falcon animal totem comes to us when we require higher vision, or higher knowledge in solving current dilemmas in our lives.

The Falcon is a solar emblem for success, victory and rising above a situation.

Further evidence of its solar influence, the Falcon was symbolic of the rising sun in Egypt. It is also the king of all birds where many gods were shown with the head or body of the Falcon (including Ra).

In European tradition, the Falcon represents the huntsman and is associated with the Germanic sky-gods Wodan as well as Frigg and the trickster Loki. In European culture the Falcon is considered a warlike symbol.

At its core, the Falcon animal totem represents visionary power, wisdom, and guardianship. This powerful bird awakens visionary power, and leads you to your life purpose. The Falcon carries with it a message of transition and change - perhaps in your vocation, work, career, etc.

Now this is where it all seems to fit (at least in my eyes) not only in the conecpt of them being said totems, but also defining the points and moments in time of where our heroes are with themselves and her powers and abilities for the most part:

Sharella
    - With her totem and the time of her existence (which is now debatable) BUT which I myself place her in Preternia would not only be defined with the creation of the Sword of He BUT the Legend of the Twins of Power as well. As the snake totem explains; it deals with the primordial force would tell us that this indeed the Preternia era where this newly created power of good is born and it's purpose to bring balance against the increasing rise of evil in the universe known as The Unnmaed One (in my canon not the Trollan though LOL) and his Snakemen. Now on the theory of balance and duality i give you the idea that King Grayskull as much as he was the bearer of this newly created great power of good realized it could not be maintained by simply one individual (as he discovered during his final battle with Hordak) thus eventually splitting the swords and having both a male a female become bearers (split / balance of male & female).

Veena / Teela'Na
    - This is the one case where I would say the idea of the falcon served both (as I've said before should you want to include both) proper. Both were present for the births of a NEW hero (Grayskull / He-man and eventually a third with She-Ra), all whom would rise to the situation to combat the forces of evil and yet still need the knowledge & guidance of this new power along in these new paths in their lives. So defined, the falcon totem fits them both equally & making them worthy should you want to include both pending on your canon. As for myself, I initially wasn't going to include Veena in my canon as I wasn't sure how to explain her placement, but it seems I just gave her enough validation as well [but this still creates a new debate as far as Sharella's placement goes; I'll figure that out down the line].

Now with this being said and presented, I now come to Teela; daughter of Teela'Na and heir to the position as Guardian to Grayskull. Now initially since we haven't been presented with any new idea or look as to what Teela would look like; we assume she would adopt the falcon form from her mother, yet in some concepts (Emiliano's Homecoming & DC's version) she has adopted Sharella's look.

But with the idea of animal totems and reviewing definitions of a few others, I present to you possibly two other Teela can take and present the case why...

Teela as The Lion:
    The lion as a spirit animal or totem symbolizes:
    • Strength, assertiveness, personal power
    • A common meaning for the lion spirit animal is predatory feelings, such as anger, aggression directed at someone else or towards you
    • Personal struggle to deal with these feelings
    • Lion spirit animals warn about a threatening situation or event in your life
    The lion spirit animal is generally associated with a representation of personal strength. If the lion appears powerful to you, its presence as a spirit guide can be interpreted as a positive representation of your self-confidence or personal power. As such, lions point to qualities of strength, courage, assertiveness.

- With Adam & Adora now in control of their abilities, they are now pressing forward against evil, aspiring others with a more aggressive approach.

OR

Teela as The Dragon:

A Dragon totem is one of the most powerful totems, representing a huge range of qualities, emotions, and traits. When Dragons come to us, it could mean many things. The most common message a Dragon totem carry to us is a need for strength, courage, and fortitude. Dragons are also messengers of balance, and magic - encouraging us to tap into our psychic nature and see the world through the eyes of mystery and wonder. More specifically, Dragons are the embodiment of primordial power - the ultimate ruler of all the elements. This is because the Dragon is the master of all the elements: Fire, Water, Earth, and Wind.

As a totem, the Dragon serves as a powerful guardian and guide. Encourage communication with your Dragon, and acknowledge your Dragon's presence as often as possible. So in definition this could define all (Adam, Adora & Teela) as they reach their maximum in both abilities and powers. And with Teela going through her trials in her younger years as a warrior and during her ascension to becoming the next Sorceress, she can possibly be the most powerful sorceress of all! Thus the dragon in this scenario would clearly define Teela to perfection.

But hey just let me keep you thinking about this a little more (if you haven't click away yet) and present you with some ideas how these would work in the MOTU canons / story lines. The Lion Totem could also incorporate an idea I got from an original concept from fellow fan Joe Amato. With the Twins are off in space leaving Teela and select Masters to continue the battles on Eternia, she uses her abilities to transform Battlecat in to Battlecat Man!!! I can go on but lemme try and keep you for this last one...

If she went Dragon, we could use the idea that Granamyr resurfaces and helps Eternia defend itself from the remaining factions of Skeletor, King Hsss and wayward Horde troops to payback all the time He-Man assisted him and with the Rise of Draego-Man (storyline). Granny realises that Grayskull has diminished somewhat in power due to the absence of the twins and his power may be the only other power to sustain and maintain but makes Teela agree to becoming an emissary for him as well (working idea) so he can once again bring harmony between the humanoids of Eternia and the secret dragon civilization which Draego attempts to take for his own. And with the teachings and added knowledge form Granamyr this could make Teela by far top level!

OK, guys I thank for reading this and even attempting to if you bailed, and I think it would be worthwhile to hear what you all think!

I like the idea that every Sorceress / Goddess had an animal theme to them and their powers. Would be interesting to see if the Green Goddess had the ability to transform into a snake.
    “We change people through conversation, not through censorship." ― Jay Z

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X