X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spirit of King Grayskull - 2015 Chase figure

:kinggrayskull:

Are you super excited now? :icer

Crap figure. That color is awful. It looks like its make from solidified drain cleaner. Seriously bad decision. How about a green translucent figure instead? They really can't get anything right EVER.
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

• Mechanizor
      Mechanizor commented
      Editing a comment
      The whole idea of chase figures sucks ass and most people hated it, and this guy comes back again with more BS to pull on collectors!

This would go great with the Ghostbusters line! Not

Comment

Maximizing slots with yet another Vanilla King Grayskull? If they needed to have a King Grayskull variant, why not a Snake Armor KG?
      If they trully needed a GITD figure, why not Slime Pit He-Man!? Heck! even a single carded Prince Adam would have been more exciting.
      I ♥ Glimmer!

Comment

• Mechanizor
        Mechanizor commented
        Editing a comment
        I would assume it's very cheap to make such a figure with almost no deco on and without any extra tooling.

• Crespo
        Crespo commented
        Editing a comment
        I suppose so too. They already have the figure tooled (no money spent on new molds.) Very little paint hits, so money saved. What rubs me the wrong way is that this is the fifth vanilla KG figure made. (Original, Bronze, Transblue, Santa, Ectocooler) They could have used that slot to make a GITD Goddess without exploding crotch. That would have been a better thank you note to the fans!

It would be cool if they packed an extra green He-Man head with red eyes so that people could turn the figure into Slime Pit He-Man.
      "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

Super LAME!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Atkin View Post
          It would be cool if they packed an extra green He-Man head with red eyes so that people could turn the figure into Slime Pit He-Man.
          Slime Pit He-Man without the Slime-Pit Playset/Diorama might not jive well with the fans/collectors!

Comment

I like it!

Hate the chase method of sale.. but i'm ok with the figure.

Comment

Oh, FFS...yeah, it's not painfully obvious this line is on its last legs or anything...
              Not every beast is tender, especially if there is genius in his making.

Comment

Glad it's a figure I won't be needing to waste money on. Talk about bottom of the barrel.

Comment

They could of easily made someone like Lord Masque, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Let's go the Cheap route once again.

Comment

• GREP-A-TOR
                    GREP-A-TOR commented
                    Editing a comment
                    absolutely true

I ****ing hate the idea of an online chase figure. Even worse than retail chase figures IMO.

And I totally get the frustration about it being another simple repaint, especially in what's supposed to be such a crucial year in wrapping things up.

But, I can't help myself.... I have a soft spot for GITD figures, so I'll get one, if I'm online at the time that it's actually on sale.

For the few of us here interested in getting one, how about starting a thread when this sucker goes on sale?
                  Last edited by Croc-O-Bite!; 10-10-2014, 04:56 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes

Comment

That figure and idea is shit. Hopefully he can be modded into a Slime-Pit He-man with ease and not too dough.

“Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
                    Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

I would have prefered something more minicomics-style for "The Spirit of Grayskull"- a transparent thin plastic add-on for the Castle would have been a must-buy for me. It would have been cheap to produce, far cheaper than running KG again...

This figure itself isn't a bad idea, but another chase figure? After the last one went down so badly with everyone? The whole concept of "chase" figures is antique 1990's marketing, geared towards getting a customer to return repeatedly to a retail location and buy more stuff. Since Matty.com doesn't offer tons of product 24/7 to warrant such repeated site views, it is simply a waste of time & PR effort. The fans who want a Spirit figure already has He-Man Skeletor the Castle and the other Evergeens that are there, so there is next to zero potential for add-on sales, which is why you do a "chase" in the first place. What do you want, sales or press, because chase figures give you press but no real sales. Press for a dead line does nothing but stroke egos, and egos don't keep the lights on no matter how big

It's 2014 Scott, wake the **** up. Doing 1990's retail marketing for a 2010s online-only line is simply ****ing dumb. You're so keen on stealing the PR tactics of indie Japanese toy companies, then why not do what they've been doing: Lotteries, blind boxes, time & date limited editions, and contests.

NYCC was perfect opportunity to do a lottery (I hate them personally but many collectors who loved "rare/chase" figures of the 90's love the concept) you could even charge for tickets and give the money to a charity, and look like ****ing heroes for once. Or do blind boxes with older unsold stock of figures, offer them at a discount. Set a time for the drop to happen and watch everyone fight the WSOD again; make a Facebook contest. Anything! But instead you guys are too damn cheap and lost in 1993 yet again. Instead, it's yet more click-bait for a site that doesn't really offer anything to sell 24/7 to hardcore fans, or adverts, so it's click-baiting but without the profits from clickbaiting. It's one of the dumbest moves I've seen in a long time.
                      Last edited by _RZ_; 10-10-2014, 09:44 AM.
                      “What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."― Salman Rushdie

Comment

• GREP-A-TOR
                        GREP-A-TOR commented
                        Editing a comment
                        well said, it's like he is going off of his notes in Marketing class from the 90's.

• Barbecue17
                        Barbecue17 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Remember: Blind boxes are a form of interstate lottery! According to Scott in one of his videos or interviews, that is.

• _RZ_
                        _RZ_ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah that interstate lottery, that LEGO and Funko and Hasbro and Playmobil manage to pull off daily for years with no problems in thousands of toy stores worldwide...

Originally posted by _RZ_ View Post
                      It's 2014 Scott, wake the **** up. Doing 1990's retail marketing for a 2010s online-only line is simply ****ing dumb.
                      ^ This.....

Comment

I like the idea and I like the color and the fact that it glows. I've never been a huge fan of King Mullet though
                        Heroic human battering ram, catapult, and space warp device.

https://battleram.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm not a big fan of chase figures as a concept, and there are other options that might have been preferable ... but this is all right by me. But then, I've got a story idea for the spirit/memory of King Grayskull in the penultimate story of my continuation of 200X (sorry, it exists as scattered notes only), so the idea of getting one has a certain story appeal to me.

Comment

• Shawn
                            Shawn commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Interesting. I have some ideas on that front as well. Something to do with the missing crown of King Grayskull. It involves The Faceless One for some reason. It's to explain WHY he lost his face, (since we already knew the "how") and why KG head is now a skull like the vintage mini comic...Something to to with a point in spacetime being poisoned. From the time of a great sin, the past present and future is permanently locked in a closed "circle of sin". "The sins of the father are visited upon the son to the seventh generation". A variation of that theme. King Grayskull's ghost is a mirror image of his ancestor Keldor in life. They both have skull for heads. "The curse of Grayskull"?

IDK exactly. It's less of a plot and more of a series of mental pictures & emotions in my mind.

At least this figure isn't essential like Loo-Kee and Kowl were. I can skip this one.

But damn...this is like the 4th King Grayskull and we still haven't gotten Veena yet.

Comment

• Shawn
                            Shawn commented
                            Editing a comment
                            YET! Perhaps this is timed to go with her if she is in that hypothetical 200X mini sub?

Originally posted by MegaGearMax View Post
                          At least this figure isn't essential like Loo-Kee and Kowl were. I can skip this one.

But damn...this is like the 4th King Grayskull and we still haven't gotten Veena yet.
                          Perhaps it's tradition--we got four He-Men back in the 80s (and six uses of the head) before the original Sorceress.

Comment

• Shawn
                            Shawn commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That's a interesting point. In 1987 we got Sorceress and King Randor...Might 2015 end the first sorceress and King Grayskull's ghost? "He-ro's" Gravestone would be a great pack in since we all know that was originally KG's gravestone.

Yeah, this is outrageous... how may versions of the same stupid figure can they dump on their customers? This is just so obviously a cash grab it isn't even funny.
                          "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

• MegaGearMax
                            MegaGearMax commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hahahahaha! At least it isn't another HORDAK.

• Dark Angel
                            Dark Angel commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Just wait until he announces that every 20th figure in the Spirit of Grayskull mailer will be...Spirit of Filmation Hordak!

Its cool that it glows in the dark, but did we really need another King Grayskull? This just feels cheap to me.
                          “We change people through conversation, not through censorship." ― Jay Z

Comment

I wanna Filmation version.
                            “A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• Shawn
                              Shawn commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Or at least a holographic "living spell" sticker of one...

They could do that pretty easy, just include a Faceless One head in the same glow-in-the dark color scheme.

Comment

• Shawn
                              Shawn commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I've sometimes wondered if this Filmation character inspired Larry Ditillo to create the faceless One?

Yes, Chase figures are dumb! "Thrill of the hunt", does not describe the chase, it's reflective of obtaining the prize.

That aside, I do mostly like this idea for a toy. Classics started with King Grayskull, ending it with a King Grayskull makes a certain type of sense. If this figure shipped the same month as Queen Veena, and it was December, that would be kind of cool. The line coming full circle.

Some of the opposition doesn't make much sense to me. Slime is clear liquid. It doesn't GitD. Translucent green would appear more "slime like", you know like Slimer. Especially if he could contain water like Slushhead's helmet! Without a Slime Pit, to slime him in, and with nothing to slime him with what's the point of having Slime minion He-Man? Besides, ANOTHER HE-MAN VARIANT!?!?!? Are you crazy? In 2015? ...We might have Rio, but together four He-Man's in a single year would cause a riot! anyway :P Besdies I would want a unique character like "Pepplelas"

The criticism, I least understand is that this is "too many King Grayskulls" He's ben a Convention exclusive and a quarterly figure. That's it. This will be he 3rd time he has been sold at retail. The bronze version was a 1in 3 blind boxed variant (text book definition of a "chase figure") The raffle figure, the Original (translucent blue) Sprint of King Grayskull was never sold. It's more like like Holiday Hal Jordan is to JLU, and this is like the JLU GL three pack with Test Pilot Hal Jordan...I think there, their, they're are BETTER things to be critical of.

On a more serious note: Considering he is both the King and Spirit of Castle Grayskull that they reuse the original tooling with none removable cape is the biggest **** YOU to us IMO. Why go back to that? This is the stuff that pisses me off. The purposeful "we really don't give a ****, and we are going to dance in your face with the amount of ****s that we don't give".

Also, he totally needs a skull head like the vintage mini comics.

Once upon a time, good advice was "be kind Rewind"now nobody remembers the past.

Masters of the universe The LOST TALES (a series of vintage style fan-comics and children's books)

Comment

Originally posted by _RZ_ View Post
                              I would have prefered something more minicomics-style for "The Spirit of Grayskull"- a transparent thin plastic add-on for the Castle would have been a must-buy for me. It would have been cheap to produce, far cheaper than running KG again...

This figure itself isn't a bad idea, but another chase figure? After the last one went down so badly with everyone? The whole concept of "chase" figures is antique 1990's marketing, geared towards getting a customer to return repeatedly to a retail location and buy more stuff. Since Matty.com doesn't offer tons of product 24/7 to warrant such repeated site views, it is simply a waste of time & PR effort. The fans who want a Spirit figure already has He-Man Skeletor the Castle and the other Evergeens that are there, so there is next to zero potential for add-on sales, which is why you do a "chase" in the first place. What do you want, sales or press, because chase figures give you press but no real sales. Press for a dead line does nothing but stroke egos, and egos don't keep the lights on no matter how big

It's 2014 Scott, wake the **** up. Doing 1990's retail marketing for a 2010s online-only line is simply ****ing dumb. You're so keen on stealing the PR tactics of indie Japanese toy companies, then why not do what they've been doing: Lotteries, blind boxes, time & date limited editions, and contests.

NYCC was perfect opportunity to do a lottery (I hate them personally but many collectors who loved "rare/chase" figures of the 90's love the concept) you could even charge for tickets and give the money to a charity, and look like ****ing heroes for once. Or do blind boxes with older unsold stock of figures, offer them at a discount. Set a time for the drop to happen and watch everyone fight the WSOD again; make a Facebook contest. Anything! But instead you guys are too damn cheap and lost in 1993 yet again. Instead, it's yet more click-bait for a site that doesn't really offer anything to sell 24/7 to hardcore fans, or adverts, so it's click-baiting but without the profits from clickbaiting. It's one of the dumbest moves I've seen in a long time.
                              [CONSPIRACY THEORY]
                              MOTU isn't sold via Mattelshop.com because why? it's a number shell game to trick his bosses into thinking Mattycollector has more site traffic to justify the cost of running a the website? Perhaps there are forces inside Mattel that want to shut down Mattycollector so their resources can be allocated to another department? No Mattycollector, No Scott as a talking head...[/CONSPIRACY THOERY]

Now, for the dumb as **** lurker who thinks, that is what I think is the case, It isn't, I just can't think of any other possibility. That doesn't mean their isn't one. There might even be a GOOD reason for chase figures on Matty.com. I just can't imagine what that could be...
                              Once upon a time, good advice was "be kind Rewind"now nobody remembers the past.

Masters of the universe The LOST TALES (a series of vintage style fan-comics and children's books)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X