Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toyguru's State of the Union Address for 2014...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyguru's State of the Union Address for 2014...

MOTUC: Looking Ahead at 2014 & Beyond

He-Fans and She-Ravers,

Happy New Year, everyone! And welcome to the top of another exciting year collecting Masters of the Universe Classics on Mattycollector.com!

Here at the top of 2014 is a very interesting point in the line to take a moment and pause for reflection. Not only on where we have been, but on where we are going as well. We are now into our sixth year of the line (I know we had three releases in 2008, but 2009 was really the first full year). It has been a long and amazing ride. Never in my wildest imagination did I think we would get this deep into the line (almost to our 150th figure!) nor did I think I would have the privilege and honor of getting to head-up the line for this long. Truly a personal dream come true as a toy collector and MOTU fan myself!

As we enter 2014, we are clearly at a turning point for MOTUC. No longer are we looking up a big mountain wondering where the peak will be, but rather it is now the point where we are looking down the other side, celebrating the victory of making the MOTUC Castle Grayskull happen (that was all you guys, you know!) as well as the roadmap to “complete the line.???

Some longtime fans know that MOTUC was originally created and always had the intent of being the most all-inclusive MOTU line possible, incorporating characters from the widest variety of source material - from vintage toys to Filmation and mini comics. All sculpted and designed around the same “buck??? (or shared part) system to create one unified universal look for all characters. When we kicked off the line back in 2007-2009, a long term roadmap was created that spread out the releases over many years to ensure that each year had a robust selection and we did not burn through too many hot characters too quickly, leaving far out (at the time) years like 2013 and 2014 with very little to offer.

This initial strategy has paid off very well helping to ensure recent years still contained huge fan-demanded characters like Ram Man and Horde Troopers, all deliberately held back for these years to keep the line fresh and hot.

But the inevitable happened and the cost to produce these figures slowly crept up, to the point that in 2013 we finally had to accept a price increase. Along with this, we heard fans loud and clear that the robust nature of the line was getting a little too robust and under the new higher prices more obscure characters like the Fighting Foe Men or Karatii might not be what most fans wanted.

And we listened to you!

As promised back in 2012 when the 2013 sub was sold, we reworked the original roadmap (which stretched out to 2017/2018) and combined the last few years into two “final??? years that would be needed to complete all of the vintage MOTU, POP and A-list most fan-demanded figures from other lines such as NA, 200X, Filmation, mini comics etc. We dropped a lot of the “filler??? figures and focused on getting the most demanded figures out there before prices rose to the point that it would cost more to make the figure than fans were willing to pay.
    So that brings us to 2014…the first year of the “new roadmap.??? I’m pretty confident that I can say we held true to our promise. With 60-70% of 2014 already revealed, I haven’t seen much chatter that the figures revealed thus far are “off the map??? and new strategy. One of the more “frustrating??? things about working in the toy industry is that it takes 12-16 months for any changes to happen. This meant even when we promised fans a new roadmap during SDCC 2012, it still meant 2013 had to be produced under the original road map/strategy of offering the most robust character selection possible. So there were still a few tail-end obscure characters that made it out in 2013.

That all finally changes!

Now we are finally at 2014, just days away from the first “revised roadmap??? figure, Two-Bad , shipping to subscribers. Our goal for the next two years is to crank out all of the remaining MIA characters to ensure the vintage roadmap is complete by the end of 2015. As promised in 2012, we are keeping prices flat in 2014 to the 2013 prices, but it is likely come 2015 there will be a very small price increase (in comparison to the large price increase we had in 2013). But they key takeaway is that in order to deliver on fan expectations to complete the new revised roadmap, we need all the SKUs and slots we can get in both 2014 and 2015. Without a 2015 line, we will be a little short.

That being said, a TON of work from Mattel design, marketing and the Four Horsemen went into crafting 2014 and 2015. Both years add up to be two sides of the same coin. Half of the remaining figures will be offered in 2014 and the other half will be in 2015, should we hit the minimum quota to get a 2015 sub.
    There are always going to be personal favorites who may not make the list (Filmation alone has hundreds of characters we have not gotten to!) but once all of 2014 and 2015 are announced and sold, I think for the most part fans will look at the two year line-up and be hard pressed to say “that figure/character should not have been released in lieu of this other one??? (i.e., are we not going to release Rio Blast so we can do the Guy in Yellow shorts playing tug of war in the mini-comics? I don’t think so!).

This does not mean in any way 2015 is guaranteed to be the last year of Classics. But standing at the top of 2014, I do feel we are clearly looking down a mountain and not up one. For the most part, fans should have a good idea of who is coming in the next 24 months (just look at the vintage lines and see who has yet to be released!). But in order to pull this off and ensure MOTUC truly reaches its end-goal and full potential, we’ll need your help.

The 2015 sub buy-in is only seven months away and we will truly need full support to make this final year happen. Let’s not lose steam now and let a few figs remain in limbo. Mattel and the whole MattyCollector.com team want nothing more than to go out on a high note. So as we head into 2014 and into the revised roadmap that is here at last, let’s not lose sight of the importance of supporting the 2015 sub. We can only make these figures when we have an audience to buy them. And this line has always been by fans, for fans, driven by fan purchases.
    This deep into the line, we are definitely hitting what I call 50% territory. There are a lot of figs set for the next 24 months that about 50% of fans love and 50% might be able to do without. Some POP fans want nothing to do with NA and the same the other way around. I see Madame Razz, for example, getting a lot of “I want her!??? posts and just as many “please don’t make her!??? posts.

But just as with the diversity of MOTU itself, finishing off this line will take all of us coming together. As an example, POP fans need to support NA figs to get their POP collection finished, and NA fans need to support POP figures to get their NA MIA figs made. I know this may mean not every figure will be for every fan. But this line is truly about coming together. If we all support the next two years, we all win. Should any one “sub??? group of fans choose to bail, it will only hurt the chances of making us all happy.

So as we enter 2014, let’s unite. Let’s unite as a fan base and show the whole toy collecting world that there are no fans like MOTU fans. Together we can all make this happen. We have 24 months to go to lock this up. No fatigue now. Not the time to bail.

MOTUC has the very real potential of making EVERY figure from the vintage MOTU and POP lines, as well as A-list characters from other cannons and media. We can make this happen. We are so close now, it is not time to lose steam! It will take all of us supporting all of the figures to make every fan happy. The MOTU fan base in unlike any other toy or brand fan group. We support diversity and work together. When we started this line, we all thought it would be cool to get to six figures and an SDCC item. Now we are standing at an unprecedented point about to make the final leap.

The revised roadmap is finally here. All 2013 figures were part of the old strategy and the old roadmap. It is an all new ball game starting with Two Bad, Glimmer and Hydron this quarter. We have a few surprises left, and again, it does not mean 2015 is THE END. As long as we have support we would love to keep this going. But we do have a clear roadmap for the next two years. This is the time to be more excited than ever. We are so close to achieving a rarely accomplished goal in toy collecting – modern interpretations of EVERY vintage fig.

And one last thing to consider, as we head into 2014 and by Grayskull hoping we get to 2015, fans are going to get A LOT more value in their figures. The characters we have left, for a good part, have a lot more tooling needed. Giant wings, backpacks, tails, and a ton of new parts. If you compare 2014 and 2015 to what we offered in 2009, price value, figure to figure, fans are going to be getting a ton more. Zodac was a new head, armor and gun, Extendar is almost fully tooled and comes with a ton of accessories. 2014 and 2015 will be well worth the price of admission!

I couldn’t be more excited for the next two years and I am so glad to share this experience with all of you. Like we did for the Castle, together we can make this happen. It is all in your hands.

Good Journey!

Scott (AKA “Toy Guru???)

He needs to fix Blade's swords before starting the pitch for 2015. "Getting more value" As if.

Comment

I find this part interesting......

The characters we have left, for a good part, have a lot more tooling needed. Giant wings, backpacks, tails, and a ton of new parts.

Giant wings? backpacks?(rio blast?) tails? ton of new parts(everyone who has NOT been released yet?)

Comment

• Barbecue17
        Barbecue17 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was wondering this too. Giant wings? Maybe Angella and Sweetbee? Backpacks? Definitely could be Rio-Blast. Tails? Scorpia?

• Novelty
        Novelty commented
        Editing a comment
        We know Angella and Sweetbee both will be coming by 2015. Rio Blast has a backpack. Other than scorpia, I have no idea who else has tails...

• -TRaP-JaW-
        -TRaP-JaW- commented
        Editing a comment
        Saurod, Stridor/Nightstalker and Lizard Man all have tails

More hot air trying to get everyone to buy into a sinking ship. And like we should be grateful that we are getting value for our money because of all the newly tooled figures... basically an admission that we were being price gouged up to this point. I wouldn't expect anything less from Mattel.

Oh, and if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm the same Negative Nancy that used to post at the ORG under the names Executioner, Draego-Man and Vikor, but was thrice banned. Glad to see this place can accept criticism and isn't run like a Nazi regime.
      Last edited by Draego-Man; 01-13-2014, 12:21 AM.
      "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

• MegaGearMax
        MegaGearMax commented
        Editing a comment
        He's trying to sell the sub early, which I have no problem with. The 2015 sub doing well ensures that he still has a job in 2015 or else he gets sent to Hot Wheels or Max Steel.

• Anti-Guru
        Anti-Guru commented
        Editing a comment
        MOTUC is a runaway train, subs will sell without him trying. He just likes to hear himself type and watch the fans panic after they read it.

• MegaGearMax
        MegaGearMax commented
        Editing a comment
        I think Classics WAS a runaway train so long as we had main characters left over from the cartoons. Now that Two-Bad, Modulok and Ram Man are the final holdouts, people don't need to deal with TG, reuben and DR's shenanighans anymore.

Some fans ARE on the fence about supporting the line year after year. If a favorite character isn't coming, why subscribe? Add to this that some fans are more worried about the characters that they don't want, moreso than the figures that they do want. It takes some coaxing and reminding of who is missing and why should you get them. Some fans seem to forget that without 2015, they risk having an incomplete Snake Men lineup or incomplete Horde.

The 2015 sub is going to be hard to pull off. As mentioned above we are not receiving the most bang for our buck with the price increase. Figure flaws still...Hydrons armor. Paint apps are being missed. Plus there is going to be another price hike. I will sub but it's only going to be 1 sub from me. I just want to get the Vintage figures made already. I'm trying to think of those figures still needing to be done. Ninjor,Tung Lashor,Sssqueeze,Multi Bot,Rotar,Twistoid,Dragstor,Blast Attack,Rio Blast,Gwildor,Saurod plus the 5 variant figures. If this list is correct I don't see us getting to all of these by the end of 2015.

Comment

• Novelty
        Novelty commented
        Editing a comment
        I doubt they will pull the plug on the 2015 sub anyways. 2016 might be a different story, but they might cut back to 6 figures a year for 2016.

• MegaGearMax
        MegaGearMax commented
        Editing a comment
        11 Vintage characters left, not counting Vintage variants. POP has around 8 or 9, depending on Loo-Kee.

--- "Should any one “sub??? group of fans choose to bail, it will only hurt the chances of making us all happy." ---

If you want to make fans happy, sell the NA and POP figures as separate mini-subs, and make Filmation part of the regular MOTUC subscription. The Filmation characters all appeared in the original Masters of the Universe cartoon, so there really is no need to have a separate subscription for those characters. There seems to be a fear that POP and NA subscriptions won't sell, but I don't be believe that for a second.
      "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

• Greenskull
        Greenskull commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope you are right. I believe a POP sub will sell but I am not as sure about a NA sub. Either way, I would be in for both. I would like to see all three original lines finished in Classics.

• MegaGearMax
        MegaGearMax commented
        Editing a comment
        Even that doesn't work. Look at all the fans who don't like cartoony Filmation characters like Plundor or don't want Madame Razz. MOTUC is far too diverse to make everyone happy.

MOTUC has the very real potential of making EVERY figure from the vintage MOTU and POP lines, as well as A-list characters from other cannons and media. We can make this happen.
      MotUC always had that potential. It's the poor design choices, manufacturing errors and the utterly ridiculous sales site that has hampered the line since it began. When will Mattel fix those? Probably never other than giving lip service that they will be fixed.
      “Censorship always defeats it own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion." ― Henry Steele Commager

Comment

12 days into the new year. At least we have a new awesome forum to critique this state of address, without being censored.
        “Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
        Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

• Novelty
          Novelty commented
          Editing a comment
          We need minimum rules for things, otherwise, there'd be anarchy. As long as there aren't too much excessive rules. The mods here are great so unless you're a troublemaker, the rules really shouldn't affect you.

• Captain Atkin
          Captain Atkin commented
          Editing a comment
          The rules that were posted yesterday are just a set of general rules to protect members from any potential bullying or harrassment. You will never find mulitiple pages of rules to follow at He-Man World. We also don't believe in giving people "infractions". Whenever there is a problem, we feel that the best way to deal with it is to simply discuss it privately and work it out. We are all adults at this site, and we all deserve to be treated equally.

Originally posted by GREP-A-TOR View Post
        12 days into the new year. At least we have a new awesome forum to critique this state of address, without being censored.
        Amen to that!!!!
        "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

What a disappointing (but very revealing) letter. Toyguru has proven once again that he is trying to fit in with the cool "MOTU" kids at any cost. Notice how he bashes NA and POP? That is a classic example of the nerdy kid trying to fit in with the cool kids by bashing something that he thinks the cool kids don't like. He really doesn't understand the fan base at all. I love how he picks on a cool NA figure like Karatti to try to prove a point, rather than mention a character like The Mighty Spector that the fanbase genuinely hates. Like the good Captain said, I also feel that NA and POP should be given their own mini-subs now. With prices continuing to climb, it makes more sense to get the characters in the fans hands now. If Mattel can sell 6 (mostly lame) figures in a 30th Anniversay mini-sub, they can surely sell a 6-figure POP and 6-figure NA mini-sub.
          “We change people through conversation, not through censorship." ― Jay Z

Comment

I hope they do announce a PoP sub in a few weeks time at NYTF.
            “Censorship always defeats it own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion." ― Henry Steele Commager

Comment

I'm not seeing how POP and NA is being bashed in this article. Are people referring to this...?

"This deep into the line, we are definitely hitting what I call 50% territory. There are a lot of figs set for the next 24 months that about 50% of fans love and 50% might be able to do without. Some POP fans want nothing to do with NA and the same the other way around. I see Madame Razz, for example, getting a lot of “I want her!??? posts and just as many “please don’t make her!??? posts.

But just as with the diversity of MOTU itself, finishing off this line will take all of us coming together. As an example, POP fans need to support NA figs to get their POP collection finished, and NA fans need to support POP figures to get their NA MIA figs made. I know this may mean not every figure will be for every fan. But this line is truly about coming together. If we all support the next two years, we all win. Should any one “sub??? group of fans choose to bail, it will only hurt the chances of making us all happy."

... I think this is just a new spin on the old, "Sub or die" scare tactics crap. Neitlich is basically saying fans need to suck it up and buy into the figures they may not want, in order to support the line as a whole... otherwise the line will end. I'm pretty sure this is what us subbers have been consciously doing for the past 5 years anyway.

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                Captain Atkin commented
                Editing a comment
                Both of the mini-subs that have been released for MOTUC - the 30th anniversary line and the Filmation sub - were able to sell. At this point, I think it would be best to give POP and NA fans mini-subs, so that they can get all the figures they want. If a 30th Anniversary sub of virtually unknown characters can sell out, then surely POP and NA mini-subs would sell out too. With the vintage MOTU characters running out, the Filmation characters should be sold as part of MOTUC (rather than as a mini-sub), as those characters are from the original cartoon and seen by most as regular MOTU characters. We had Filmation characters like Orko, King Randor and the Sorceress in the vintage line, so that would just be a continuation of that trend. NA and POP each had their own toylines, and at this point, deserve their own mini-subs to complete their respective series.

• MegaGearMax
                MegaGearMax commented
                Editing a comment
                Cap, the 30th sub was practically sold on the strength of Draego-Man alone.

A way to make the NA sub work is to show Sagitar, Quakke, Tukador and Darius, some of the strongest designs of the remaining NA characters. The POP sub has a good chance though. Plenty of POP and Filmation fans out there.

• Captain Atkin
                Captain Atkin commented
                Editing a comment
                Draego-Man was certainly the big seller thanks to the Four Horsemen, followed by Nathan Bitner's "Fearless Photog", who fans had been waiting for over 25 years to get. Castle Grayskullman was an interesting figure, but the rest were forgetable. My point was that if a mini-sub like that one could sell well, NA and POP would have no problems selling mini-subs, as those characters are better known to the fan community.

Figures with tails: I would place bets on Lizard-Man and Saurod being those two figures. They may even end up sharing the same tail design, as Saurod would just need some extra armor added to his tail. The figure with the back pack is an obvious reference to Rio Blast. Two more popular POP characters (Sweet Bee and Angela) would be coming with wings, and there is always the possibility of an MYP Sorceress being made.

Comment

I think the whole point of this message is that prices will increase in 2015. Even though I remember LieGuru saying the $5 price hike was so they wouldn't raise prices till at least 2016. As for the 30th Anniversary and Filmation lines, I don't think the Subs had to meet any type of quota. LieGuru like to constantly remind us that the toy industry works a year out, so those were fully planned and allocated lines.

Comment

Should any one “sub??? group of fans choose to bail, it will only hurt the chances of making us all happy.
                  ok reading that i'll come out and say it, you nasty manipulative son of a *****. seriously everyone has always said he trys to turn the fans against one another, but i've never seen it so blatant. seriously sorry classic fans i didnt let you down it was them nasty NA fans they stopped you getting your toys. i know this post wouldn't last 5 minutes on the org but its so tempting to post it there.

seriously i'd love to see who picks this up and if its even touched on. i'm trying to remain positive but wow

Comment

• Black Zodac
                    Black Zodac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm an NA fan. I will be very annoyed if most of those figures don't get made.

• deano_ue
                    deano_ue commented
                    Editing a comment
                    seriously megagear you're gonna pull that of course there are na fans maybe i should have also said pop fans, its the same thing. what he meant was clear as day that once again if something fails its not his fault its all you pesky fans and cherry pickers. he basically said if any group of fans fails to buy everything then we get nothing

• Novelty
                    Novelty commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, it's not cool the way he tries to pit one section of the fandom against the other. It's the vintage purists that have been leaving the line anyways... and there isn't much he can do to retain them.

TG said this on the .org:

Also, I was only using POP and NA as
                  Example in the blog. Any 2 factions
                  Can be substituted for the same point.

Comment

• darkhawk411
                    darkhawk411 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Only one faction really needs to be addressed and that's the Vintage Old Boys club. They are the main ones that push for vintage re-dos and complain about new characters, POP, NA, 200x taking up skus.

• Novelty
                    Novelty commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The vintage purists are the only section of fandom that will be leaving the line soon. In fact, most will have done so after the release of a few more characters. Other sections of the fandom still have to wait for their favourites to be given a release date and supported all the characters that the vintage purists wanted to get in the hopes that they would get to their favourite characters. Now that the vintage purists have got most of theirs, they are leaving everyone else high and dry. I don't blame them for doing that. It's just Mattel not inserting more PoP/NA/200x into the line more often, especially the key characters.

• darkhawk411
                    darkhawk411 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Precisely my point. If it wasn't a vintage figure they cried about having to buy the figure the most (not all I admit). I've lost track of the amount of times I've heard the phrase "It's called Masters of the Universe Classics not POP Classics". You could also substitute NA or 200x into that sentence.

From Toyguru on mattycollector:

Due to the subscription nature of the line and the pre buy commitment we can't change the SRP figure to figure to account for the varying cost figure to figure.

To help manage expectations, almost every figure, I'd say 90%+ have been cost reduced in some way. Sometimes it creats a storm online, other times (most of the time) no one notices. One figure who was cost reduced (deco wise) more than any other was Fisto. And I don't recall any issue with this.

I wish we could deliver exactly what fans see in a hand painted non articulated sculpt prototype. But through the course of the toy making process (and the constantly rising costs) figures are and will continue to change from the prototype to the final product. I wish it sounded more poetic, but I have learned over the years it is better to accept this rather than ignore it as a factor and then get upset when it happens.
                  "To help manage expectations" ... Boy he loves that phrase. This basically proves what I have been saying all along. All the things they do, they do in a sneaky, "let's hope nobody notices" kind of way. That's really what it boils down to. Let's see what we can get away with as far as cutting back on the product, then if the fans react... we will feed them a line of crap as damage control. They do it with every single product. How the heck was Fisto cost reduced??? The figure came with 2 heads, 2 swords, and his paint apps are comparable to the vintage figure if not better. Such nonsense!

Comment

• darkhawk411
                    darkhawk411 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I wish all their figures were cost reduced like Fisto. He has got to be one of the best figures in the line and almost borders on having too much stuff.

• Novelty
                    Novelty commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If they cost reduced Fisto by so much, I'm sure they could "turn on the machine" and give him a second run. I would like that.

• Croc-O-Bite!
                    Croc-O-Bite! commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ha Ha! Bang on Novelty! Bring on those Fisto refreshes.

....and to further AG's point, Fisto also came with that 200X belt.

Originally posted by Anti-Guru View Post
                  From Toyguru on mattycollector:

"To help manage expectations" ... Boy he loves that phrase. This basically proves what I have been saying all along. All the things they do, they do in a sneaky, "let's hope nobody notices" kind of way. That's really what it boils down to. Let's see what we can get away with as far as cutting back on the product, then if the fans react... we will feed them a line of crap as damage control. They do it with every single product. How the heck was Fisto cost reduced??? The figure came with 2 heads, 2 swords, and his paint apps are comparable to the vintage figure if not better. Such nonsense!
                  I don't believe what TG says anyway. He just talks himself around in circles!

Comment

You know, I get the whole bit about that this isn't a retail line and what that means. Less resources, fewer opportunities to do bigger ticket items, etc., etc., etc. At the same time, Mattel has shown ZERO faith in this line. Their only attempt to expand the line back into retail was in those TRU two packs, and even then that was pretty half assed. I realize that the failure of the 200x line still is in their minds, but why not LEARN from the past experiences (ridiculous amounts of variants) rather than let them shackle you into inertia.

Comment

Early Access Clusterfluk...

Once again, Digital River has annoyed the fan base with it's technical difficulties. See what the benevolent Scott Neitlich has to say...

Regardless of the minor error in shipping options not displaying for about an hour, no matter what Ram Mam was the remaining CS stock and was always extremely limited. The way to guarantee a Ram Man was to have purchased a 2013 sub (which he was included in). Due to the extemely small quota of remaining CS stock that was offered today there was no way we could ever guarantee you would be able to buy 3-4 Ram Mans (just to manage expectations)."

"There was a java issue preventing the shipping options from being displayed due to changes from between 2014 and 2013 shipping prices. (Matty, DR and Mattel do not set shipping prices or have any control over these prices changing). The error was noticeded immediately and has been resolved. This was an all new issue/error that has not occurred before and ideally will not again! We are on it working hard for you.
                      Don't work to hard, wouldn't want you to go beyond your pay grade.
                      Last edited by Anti-Guru; 01-14-2014, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• Robzilla
                        Robzilla commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It's just become laughable at this point. Mattel continuing to do business with DR has truly made them the laughing stock of the industry I would imagine. It's beyond belief that their legal department can not find a way to get them out of this contract. There is more than enough proof that DR hasn't been holding up their end of the bargain. At the end of the day, it's apparent that Mattel could care less about this brand. We're in the home stretch, so whatever happens, happens. This doesn't bode well though for that "Buy into the 2015 Sub!" campaign though.

Dear oh dear. More ****-up based hilarity from mattycollector. We get a begging letter from Neitlich. A couple of days later and the whole fan base is completely ****ed off due to yet more incompetence. The Org and the mattycollector forums are aflame with rage. And rightly so. As much as I want more figures, I can't wait for us to be done with this shit.

Comment

Just think of all the playsets and vehicles we could have gotten if they actually had a line that ran smoothly instead of this usual BS. Toyguru's lament about him working double time to get CG made is such a load of baloney. Manage the brand properly and it would be easy to get these bigger items out... without producing 14 million to many of them (like the WR).

Comment

• Novelty
                          Novelty commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well, they do have a "world class" Research Center and Mattel. I wonder which world they are thinking of. Probably Walt Disney World...

OK - This is what SCOTT NEITLICH said. "We did not double the annual revenue, and therefore did not double our salary."

HOLY CRAP. Do you realize the scope of this statement - the carrot that Scott has to work towards? DOUBLE OUR SALARY.

An Associate Brand Manager makes an average of $89,000 a year. Source: http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Matt...aries-E428.htm

So, Scott makes $180,000 a year. He needs to double the annual revenue to get that bonus. That is a tall order, but damn, is that an incentive.

If anyone thinks that this dude is one of us after that, they need to enter reality. Scott has a new baby and bought his condo before the housing crash, so he is $100,000 upside down on his mortgage. Yearly tuition at UCSB was at least 10,000 a year when Scott attended, so he may have some student loans - although his family was in Connecticut previously before a move to Orange County. I don't think poor people make that move.
                        “Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
                        Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

• _RZ_
                          _RZ_ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          "We did not double the annual revenue, and therefore did not double our salary." --- where is this from? I'd like to read the whole thing if possible.

• GREP-A-TOR
                          GREP-A-TOR commented
                          Editing a comment
                          He said" double the revenue to double the salary". Cash bonuses were mentioned in 6 interviewees on Glass door, as a definite incentive. Why would he say that? I mean, that is pretty specific.

Originally posted by GREP-A-TOR View Post
                        OK - This is what SCOTT NEITLICH said. "We did not double the annual revenue, and therefore did not double our salary."

HOLY CRAP. Do you realize the scope of this statement - the carrot that Scott has to work towards? DOUBLE OUR SALARY.

An Associate Brand Manager makes an average of $89,000 a year. Source: http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Matt...aries-E428.htm
                        Wow, I cannot believe a ****head like TG gets paid 90K-100K (Who has no talents other than lying), while a senior designer only gets 71K!!! Another reason why not to support a dinosaur company like Mattel!

Comment

You can't read too much into what Scott said in that statement. A manager's bonus would not exceed their regular salary within a company like Mattel, regardless of the number of sales. At best, he might get a few extra thousand dollars added as a bonus.

Comment

• GREP-A-TOR
                            GREP-A-TOR commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I know that it sounds implausible, but I did do some digging and was able to find out that Brand Managers usually have built-in bonuses/riders into their contracts that reflect percentage increase of profit, pretty standard from what I heard. Something like what you mentioned, they make like an extra $1,000 for every extra $100,000 profit realized (or revenue).

But I mean, did Scott and his team expect to double revenue? I know that none of us is privy to the actual internal balance statement of MattyCollector - if we had it I am sure we could sell that information for thousands of dollars over and over again. But it makes you wonder, it really does.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X