Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOTU Minis - Subscription Cancelled

A message from Mattycollector.com:

MOTU Minis Update: These little guys had a big task and we’re sorry to say we didn't reach our goal for the 2015 MOTU Minis subscription. We’d like to say a HUGE thank you to all the fans for waging such a good, strong fight. For those of you who did subscribe, refunds will be issued in the next 7-10 business days.

Though we didn't win the war, the battle for Eternia will continue with our awesome 2015 Classics lineup. The team is also hard at work behind the scenes to bring you exciting new MOTU products, so stay tuned for more info to come!
    "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

I never really understood who they thought the market was for these toys. Most adult collectors that I know were not into them. They looked like kids toys, and the price tag was too high for fans who might have wanted to get them for their kids to play with.
    “The internet treats censorship as a malfunction and routes around it." ― John Perry Barlow

Comment

The designs were kinda cool, but they were crazy expensive, and they're marketing plan was kinda hideous as well! Another failed strategy by Neitlich!

Comment

So happy these failed! Seriously, what a stupid idea. These were never worth the price of admission and add shipping on top of that and you have a recipe for failure.

Next up, watch the Giants crash and burn.
        "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

• PhantomZodak
          PhantomZodak commented
          Editing a comment
          i can't wait for the giants to fail too!! especially after those review videos show how they screwed up the molds & the packaging! ha ha!!

Originally posted by Mechanaizor View Post
        The designs were kinda cool, but they were crazy expensive, and they're marketing plan was kinda hideous as well! Another failed strategy by Neitlich!

Expensive is the key word. They were so overpriced it was silly. For a pair of these guys it's the same price as a MOTUC figure was in 2008- what utter BS. Those things were far, far cheaper to make and it showed. The designs were fun! I would have gotten all of these if they were priced appropriately. Similar figures by LEGO ($2-3), Playmobil ($2-3) are cheap easy buys because they're cheap and cool. You can chuck one for the kids in your cart as you shop for other things. This was a great idea that someone (I wonder who) totally whiffed on. You had a successful app, you had fan interest, and they totally blew it by being too greedy. These should never have been online only- they should have been retail. This is the type of stuff people want, but not for $10 each- Under $4-5 and you'd have made this a huge success.

If they removed all articulation to keep costs down, but threw in a spring-loaded waist like the old school figures, maybe included a download code for the app, these would have been a huge success at $2-4 at both online and retail.
        “What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."― Salman Rushdie

Comment

• D.M.
          D.M. commented
          Editing a comment
          But, but... oooiiiiillll. :P

So true RZ.

They should have been at retail with ads on the packaging for the game app.
        Only Neitlich could be stupid enough to think they'd sell for over $30 after shipping on a website that they don't bother to promote, but leave that promoting to MOTU fans to do for them.

Comment

Originally posted by _RZ_ View Post

Expensive is the key word. They were so overpriced it was silly. For a pair of these guys it's the same price as a MOTUC figure was in 2008- what utter BS. Those things were far, far cheaper to make and it showed. The designs were fun! I would have gotten all of these if they were priced appropriately. Similar figures by LEGO ($2-3), Playmobil ($2-3) are cheap easy buys because they're cheap and cool. You can chuck one for the kids in your cart as you shop for other things. This was a great idea that someone (I wonder who) totally whiffed on. You had a successful app, you had fan interest, and they totally blew it by being too greedy. These should never have been online only- they should have been retail. This is the type of stuff people want, but not for $10 each- Under $4-5 and you'd have made this a huge success.

If they removed all articulation to keep costs down, but threw in a spring-loaded waist like the old school figures, maybe included a download code for the app, these would have been a huge success at $2-4 at both online and retail.
          Exactly! $30 for two miniatures INCLUDING shipping?!! This is what killed Justice League Unlimited besides the character selection. Those minis should be $7-8 at the most.

Comment

The price was over the top, but Digital River just makes it worse. Digital River is a parasite, slowly sucking the life out of anything MattyCollector sells
            Heroic human battering ram, catapult, and space warp device.

https://battleram.wordpress.com/

Comment

Get a load of this.... read this earlier today over at The Fwoosh:
              just a heads-up for anyone who may be in a similar situation...

i just received an email from matty saying that they will refund my money from the minis sub as soon as i return the merchandise to them.

the merchandise. which would have shipped in 2015 but now won't because there is no sub.

they sent me shipping label info for shipping that merchandise. back to them. in order to get my refund.
              Got to hand it to Digital River..... they will try anything they can, no matter how preposterous, in order to keep your money.

Comment

Do you all think this is the beginning of the end for mattycollector?

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                  Captain Atkin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think the mini-figures just didn't appeal to most collectors. We want cool toys, not cute toys!

Man, DR is scum, there scam artists backed by Mattel

Comment

DR is the worst no doubt.

Comment

Awwwww nooooooooooooooo, the minis never went through. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwww...

Comment

These are kind of neat neat for what they are. I've been collecting them and I was looking forward to some of the upcoming sets, but I'm not overly upset or surprised that this line hasn't gained much traction.

I agree that the price of these was a lot, especially when paying separate shipping. But had this sub gone forward, for anyone who subscribed for both Club Eternia and the Minis, after the first shipment, which would be separate, the future renewlas would combine, effectively eliminating the separate shipping issue.

I don't blame anyone for simply not liking them and/or feeling that even the base product price was too high, and not signing up for those reasons. But if you were otherwise interested in them, already have a Club Eternia sub for next year, and your main reason for disliking/not siging up for the minis was the price of them after separate shipping, then with all due respect that was a silly reason not to sign up since the shipping would have combined with your main sub for 5 out of the 6 shipments for the year. I only point this out because here and elsewhere, in regards to this not going forward, I keep seeing people bring up the separate shipping issue, but that was only an issue because there was no sub for them previously, and I laugh at how quickly they seem to forget that the subs would combine.

The irony now is that some of these sets likely have already gone into production and will get released quarterly, as was the case for other past failed sub items like Ghostbusters and DCUC. As a result, they may charge an even higher price point, and since there is no sub for them, the separate shipping issue rears it's ugly head again.

It also should be pointed out that this is proof that the subs are not by default guaranteed to go through, despite some of the assumptions to the contrary that many seemed to hold when it came to Club Eternia.

Comment

• Croc-O-Bite!
                        Croc-O-Bite! commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I feel bad for you that you'll now have to pay extra shipping for the minis you want Dynamo.
                        I may have mentioned how I thought $30+ after shipping was excessive, but I believe for what they are, the $20 is still too high anyways. I realize the whole low production run brings the price up deal, but that doesn't change the fact I wouldn't pay that much for what I'd be getting.

P.S. It would be nice if more MOTU fans like yourself posted here more often on a more regular basis.

these cutesy things should have been sold in specialty shops. that's where the market is for SD figures. people on the site want motuc. & i am so happy it failed because they should be concentrating on MOTUC not this or giants.

they could have made another non-sub all parts re-use guy or re-issue horde troopers & snake men to make easy money. instead they are tying to squeeze money out of us in stupid ways. as a completist, i would buy a dumb twiywipiatow but those out of scale things don't count. that's why i'm glad it failed. so they will concentrate on what we want: more motuc.
                      http://thepowersword.blogspot.com

Comment

This month marks the end of my dealings with motuc, DR, and Mattel. I didnt subscribe to 2015 and am glad i didnt. I dont really care for the remaining figures. No way i wouldve even entertained a minis sub, those that did should just give me their money. I'll send you overpriced pieces of plastic. Lol. Good luck with 2015 for those that will still have to deal with DR. At least nuttlick is gone.

Comment

Well I'm upset as I want all things MOTU to succeed. Though I also get the "I don't like it, I hope others don't" is comforting. DR scams aside, the price is still just

if each figure was individually packaged, and cost less then $10 each (and i feel even that is WAAAAY to generous a price) this would be a great "throw it on top on existing order" extra but Mattel are greedy little ****s! Their laziness, ignorance and greed prevents MOTU from growing. They are like an insolent child at times, drawing on walls and throwing tantrums and then wondering why are are getting yelled at. Lower the price and these will sell more. My point is that while voting with our wallets is great, and I'm glad more people are doing this, I just hope mattel understands this didn't fail because enough people didn't want it, they just wnted it at a lower price more comparable to other lines of a similar nature...I saw LOTS of support in the beginning! But memes be memes for a reason. I just hope Mattel figures this out one day...
                          Last edited by Shawn; 12-13-2014, 11:05 PM.
                          Once upon a time, good advice was "be kind Rewind"now nobody remembers the past.

Masters of the universe The LOST TALES (a series of vintage style fan-comics and children's books)

Comment

I really liked them and wanted to collect them but the fact that Mattel continues to stretch this Masters account too far when they can't even control the main line is pure example why fans have their attitudes towards Mattel. I love everything they have put out (maybe except baby Skeletor) but my wallet does have other responsibilities and with the prices as such, it's hard to get it all when you want it all; especially in this "business mind" approach to overwhelm you with it all at once in some cases. This could've definitely been thrown out in retail and target the kids to begin the grooming of that fan base and probably during the 30th Anniversary. I hope they are simply shelved until a possible better approach can be created and I would gladly consider going after them.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemisythe View Post
                              I really liked them and wanted to collect them but the fact that Mattel continues to stretch this Masters account too far when they can't even control the main line is pure example why fans have their attitudes towards Mattel. I love everything they have put out (maybe except baby Skeletor) but my wallet does have other responsibilities and with the prices as such, it's hard to get it all when you want it all; especially in this "business mind" approach to overwhelm you with it all at once in some cases.
                              Totally. It's even harder when the chips are stacked against most of us. How can you justify spending $200+ on yourself during the holidays unless you're pretty well off, or plan for months ahead of time? I would say for the vast majority of collectors of this line, making a choice like that sucks. Myself and many others here are lucky- we don't have to pick between our hobby and eating, or gifts for the loved ones in our lives. But that is the exception rather than the rule. It's so stupid, every December, when their customers have the least amount of disposable cash, they always throw so much stuff at you, it's over the top. And in January, when everyone is working to pay off the overspending they did in December, they always again have to mess with the shipping charges for the subs. Let's not forget what often happens when you sub in January also, they charge someone's card $40-50 like 10 times in a row, the week after Christmas or New Year's. Of course it's going to be declined, either because they don't have the $1k balance to cover it, or because of fraud protections. Again creating bad feelings and losing sales. I can't help but wonder how many more units would have moved if things like Grayskull or the Wind Raider were moved to September or earlier. We get having that "big ticket item for Christmas" but that's kind of pointless for Matty- if you can't buy vanilla He-Man, vanilla Skeletor, Man At Arms, Teela, or even Orko, why oh why would you ever buy a $300+ Grayskull, let alone start collecting the line or give it as a gift?

One look at Amiibo and how insanely well it is doing in the US this holiday season makes the MOTU minis pricing, online only availability, and the sub's failure, even more stupid. People want stuff like this- and are actually selling it out, not the "pretend" version of selling through.

I hope someone at Mattel realizes that someone in charge could have thought it through a bit more, and looked at the market, and instead of having an online-only failure, they could have had a huge retail success. I mean, it's over $50+ for me to buy a single set of two figures, and have it shipped to me here in Europe. That is simply ridiculous when I can walk down the street here, and get four blind bag figures for under $10. It's better to skip the line for us in Europe and focus that cash on the regular MOTUC line.

He-Man has incredible visibility right now compared to 2008- a popular Honda commercial; a still-popular app; a movie in current development- how they could have completely whiffed on this, after years of fans asking for these minifigures, and the style being the bees knees with both adult collectors AND kids, is really incredible.
                              Last edited by _RZ_; 12-16-2014, 10:22 AM.
                              “What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."― Salman Rushdie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X