Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spirit of Grayskull Sold Out in 1 minute!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spirit of Grayskull Sold Out in 1 minute!

I got one, but holy shit did they ever take him down quickly!
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Wow. That is pretty ridiculous to be honest. I really hope this is the last time they do this. I don't like these annoying sales gimmicks.
    "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

Yeah, I got on at 8am. Added one to the cart. Sold out by the time I tried to checkout. Did not get the one I had in my cart. I am truly tired of this gimmick as well. I'll wait until December. That's how I finally got Goat Man last year.

Comment

Huh, I even forgot he suppose to be available today!
        I'll wait for him to show up at the end of the year or if I ever find him reasonably priced online I'll grab him...

Comment

Oh... no... I forgot he was on sale today... (Read this with Ben Stein's deadpan voice)
          Methinks this is a dick move by Mattel. Putting him on EA for a minute on a loaded month! In any case, I'll try and get one if he appears at a time that I'm online, but I'll just go for one.
          (I originally wanted two, but the $30 price tag and weird blue color makes the second one useless to make a Slime Pit He-Man)
          I ♥ Glimmer!

Comment

I was outside at work when the sale started. It took me a whole 30 seconds of fumbling to get my gloves off first before trying to make the purchase on my phone. Naturally, it sold out while in my cart during checkout due to the 1 minute sellout.
            Oh well, it's the fun of the chase that matters, right?
            Pretty cool, huh?

Comment

I really don't get what the benefit of these short sales is for Mattel. It surely can't be to bring people to the site because I doubt most people are buying anything else if they can't (or even if they can) get their hands on the chase figure. If people could pick up the figure and Mattel had enough to last an hour or so (even 30 minutes), buyers might pick up stuff like stands and extra figures, but with these short windows? That's just pissing people off.

Comment

Whoever thought of this dumb program and the way it's handled is a stupid jerk!

Comment

It takes a stunning amount of nerve to ask $30 for a six year old figure on its fifth repaint...
                  Not every beast is tender, especially if there is genius in his making.

Comment

• Draego-Man
                    Draego-Man commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And yet it sold out in a minute.

And I'm one of the suckers who forked over the cash!

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dark Angel, your post inspired me to create a small web skit where a poor confused collector ventures into a toy store and discovers a toy of a character he thought would have never been produced. He is absolutely over the moon that this beloved character now has an all new action figure, but before he can purchase it, he is mobbed by a swarm of blood thirsty 'plastic zombies', clamoring for the character beside it that has been re-released with a new accessory.

The dialog is brief, but in the skit, the hero tries to make the plastic zombies see that this 'new variant' is exactly the same as the other 4 hanging on the shelves, heavy parts re-use, same paint, just with 1 new accessory, but his protests go unheard, as the plastic zombies only want "The saaaaaaaaaaaaame thing.." "New accessory, but me want same...!" "Me like same, same like saaaaaaaaaaaames..." "New packages, but inside same, me eat same insides!"
                    "Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame...." and he is slowly mobbed, trampled and all the packages are devoured by the mindless plastic eating monsters.

Just a funny thought I had. I'll never actually produce it.
                    Last edited by Sky Runner; 02-13-2015, 06:40 PM.

While the vision of a collector being trampled in a comic store by a bunch of plastic hungry zombies dances around in my head and amuses me, I'll say this. At this point, I really don't know what's more hilarious.

The fact that this toy on its 5th repaint (thanks Dark Angel, I didn't know that) sells out instantly, or the fact that once again people are upset by Mattel's inability to make it easy to purchase the products.

The thing sold out in just a few minutes, like so many other characters would if they would just be produced, or reproduced. If MOTUC didn't look like Scoot Nutglitch's personal toy box, I'd throw more of my dollars at the line, but then again, people actually liked and paid for his contributions, no matter how awful his character choices.

So I guess the cycle just continues.

Comment

• Matthew L. Martin
                    Matthew L. Martin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And this is why I don't think calling this the fifth or sixth repaint is really fair--the first three ranged from somewhat difficult to nearly impossible to acquire. Third version or second repaint, I'd grant.

I don't think much of the whole 'chase figure' gimmick, but I'm not going to make any judgments about the figure's supply based on this first release--it's possible that Mattel honestly underestimated demand and didn't allocate enough units to this release. Now, if this pattern continues, I'll think that they're deliberately shorting things.

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Maybe I should just thank Mattel's crack design & marketing team for creating 5 versions of 1 thing I have 0 interest in.

• Dark Angel
                    Dark Angel commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Matthew L. Martin - You'd "grant" that, would you? Well, gosh, that's just overwhelmingly generous of you! It doesn't change the demonstrable fact that five paint versions exist and have been released in some capacity.

Well so much for trying to nip this in the bud so I wouldn't have to deal with it for the rest of the year. Less than a minute and POOF, gone! Oh well hopefully I stumble on one of our fellow fans to notify us when he pops up or I'll catch him later in December, when they drop 3 figures a vehicle and special item on us!

Comment

Got to love the usual suspects over at the .org & how the'll defend Mattel no matter what....
                    They must get some sort of discount on their figures or something since they're so eager to swallow whatever Mattel gives them to swallow.

I know it's not that big of a deal, SOKG will appear on the website again for those who want to try and buy one, but the way that same cast of characters so vehemently defends Neitlich's "thrill of the hunt" BS is beyond laughable at this point.
                    Is there anything that 'celebrity' can't do wrong in their eyes?

Comment

I missed it too. Updated my card information and POOF. Just like Goat Man, now I'm just going to have to wait.

When smaller toy companies like Onell or Secret Base do the "secret / timed drop" and stuff sells out instantly, it isn't such a big deal. It's a part of collecting- those are limited edition items from small operations. But when big companies that complain like Mattel complains that "sales aren't high enough", and then they make it so you can't just click and give them money, this is when the lines between truth and fiction part ways. This is one of the world's biggest companies, and they can't get away with the same tricks that the little guys do. If you want sales, make inventory available all the time, and let it sell out itself. If you want to play games with sales in order to "build hype" and fake "sell outs" you only need to look to the past of this line to see how it's caused more people to jump ship than jump on.

The "thrill of the hunt" must be code for "the thrill of making a buck on amazon/ebay" because I am sure in a week or two we will see tons of these on ebay just as we have the last 2 chase figures. Only people who are into these types of items are scalpers... cough... I mean re-sellers, ebay hounds. If something is limited to a convention, or well, actually limited, then I could see this type of thing being acceptable. But SOKG is not- they can keep making as many of them as they want to, and no one is the wiser. When I see a guy with 10-11 figures of a single character in stock on ebay, it makes you wonder, does this behavior inflate sales artificially? Is that why Matty might have no stock of one figure, but between 5 eBayers they have 200? If you sell toys for a living, go for it- I did it for a while there. Go for it, good luck to you. But if you're just buying stuff from one store just to list it on eBay... i have no sympathy. Get a part time job to feed your hobby, don't leech off your fellow collectors. Get a tax ID and buy wholesale and be a legit entity, not some unemployed jerk clicking on matty only to list it on ebay 10 days later. Look it's toys, sure. No one is forcing anyone to buy secondary like that, of course, but it's clearly predatory behavior that only hurts our hobby, and creates a hurt vibe amonst fans and costs Matty sales.
                      “What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."― Salman Rushdie

Comment

Originally posted by Barbecue17 View Post
                        I really don't get what the benefit of these short sales is for Mattel. It surely can't be to bring people to the site because I doubt most people are buying anything else if they can't (or even if they can) get their hands on the chase figure. If people could pick up the figure and Mattel had enough to last an hour or so (even 30 minutes), buyers might pick up stuff like stands and extra figures, but with these short windows? That's just pissing people off.
                        The idea that Matty.com is stealing is from the techniques of many of the small indie Japanese toy & art companies in the early-late 2000's. They would hold "secret sales" "timed drops" and "lottery sales" which were all ways originally for them to drive traffic to their websites (and thus get some sales as well as advert dollars.)

"lottery sales" were where you had a limited edition toy to sell, maybe only 10 or 20 pieces. In order to be able to buy one, you'd have to email a webstore/artist, and he would pick 20 people at "random" and send them an email stating that they had won and they were now "able" to buy the toy. So basically, you had to win a contest in order to be able to buy something! And the store or artist now has a new email list they can use to advertise, spam, sell, etc. This has slowly become less popular as it was discovered that many artists and stores weren't keeping the lottery fair and were instead only press, resellers, and friends were winning.

"Timed drops" still happen, but not in the way Matty stole from it. Stores would announce "On Tues at 12pm, we will have 20 new figures available!" Most of the honest ones would simply leave the toys up for sale until they sold through. What a number of stores started to do, specifically ones owned & operated by the artists whose created the toys, was to only leave the toys available for sale for a few hours, then mark them as "SOLD OUT!" in order to create a buzz for themselves. Essentially the toy equivalent of leaking your own sex tape, or a twitter fued. Then, when the next drop happened, they'd say "they found a few more, only 2 left" and people would scramble thinking this is their last chance to own it. Glyos kind of follows this model (but without the fake sellouts) and this is clearly what Matty does today.

"Secret sales" were kind of what SOKG is, a store will say: "Keep checking our site for the mystery toy! Available at random!" and traffic to that site would skyrocket as people would sit all day checking and doublechecking pages over and over again- and again driving ads and pageviews. Sometimes the sale would only be announced on MySpace, a blog, Facebook, and many companies still do it once in a while. Many times they'd have a number in a corner of the website saying how many were left. People got a bit bored of it after a while, as either the items weren't too exciting, or they were too expensive, and most of the overstock of these "secret sale" items would show up later on in the year at WonderFest or other conventions.

All of these techniques were kind of fun in the early 2000's, mostly because the toys were super limited or hand made, and the "exclusives" were often simple color swaps or repaints. This is why it's kind of funny the "Spirit" figures are the ones they're doing secret sales with, because back in the day clear colored repaints were exactly what was being sold in the lotteries and secrets by the Japanese companies too. By the mid 2000's, most toyheads were 100% sick to death of these techniques. Once bigger companies like Mattel and western indies like Super7 started doing it too, it was already a kind-of frowned-upon thing. Now the vast majority of indies use a preorder method, although a few still do lotteries or secret sales.
                        Last edited by _RZ_; 02-13-2015, 03:18 PM.
                        “What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."― Salman Rushdie

Comment

I'm selling mine for $9999.00... any takers?
                          "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

Guest commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'll create a kickstarter account, and try raise 10K to buy your KG for my nephew who is dying of non Hodgkin's Lyphoma.

• Nemisythe
                            Nemisythe commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I kindly pay you Tuesday for a King Grayskull today!!!

you would think that with the line ending & their increasing reliance on subsriptions, they would do more to make it beneficial for customers to subscribe. they could have put a limit of 1 per customer but make sure there were enough available for each subscriber. instead they do this & make early access pointless. it makes people angry & they decide not to buy it out of anger. just bad business.
                          http://thepowersword.blogspot.com

Comment

Spirit of King Grayskull went on sale again yesterday for a short period aparently.
                            Anyone here have any luck?
                            I missed out again, didn't see anything posted about the figure going on sale until it was already too late.

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                              Captain Atkin commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I missed out. I heard that it was up for an hour this time.

• Mechanizor
                              Mechanizor commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Crap, I missed out again, but then again I don't check out Matty that often when I'm tied with work.

I managed to snag one. Only able to add one to the cart and was not able to change the quantity in the cart this time like I was able to do with the Hover Robots.

Comment

I managed to get one. I found out about it maybe 5 minutes before the sale time ended. I just barely made it.

Comment

I don't even know what this sale was about.
                                “Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
                                Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X