Homecoming: Fall of Eternia - part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homecoming: Fall of Eternia - part 1

.....where to start!.... This was really bad (sorry Scott) really really bad , as many have commented the arts good and flows well, and Axel clearly is a fan, with his Easter eggs and all that good stuff, (btw nice cameo Axel)

But right from the start, it's bad, the whole last page , (the Scrollos thing) was space to have He-man show signs of grief for his dads passing , and maybe a uniting of a old Battle Cat) instead of some awful joke about Teela getting the staff of Ka, (what's up with the letter being from Megagearmax, very strange.)

Then there's the Dare thing I don't mind the idea of son of He-Man, but it's handled with such little originality. ...Dare, Handsome young son of He-Man ....Skeleteen, evil young son of Skeletor.
    It's just the same story dynamic as the originals, how about , Teela rescues a young son of Skeletor.
    From his crazy ass mom and dad, and raises him as her son.
    This introduces tension with father (cousin), also the future the prospect of a Gar king!!

Then there's the new masters , I get the nod to the son of He-Man filmation cartoon proposition , but pheeewwww, man! They don't make em like they used to ( even Alexs art can't save this sad crew)....also the "all new, all different motu " didn't introduce us the Lazor-lot and Spector, they just appeared in the background, Spector bouncing around like a demented Spiderman.

Then we have the return of Despara..... good lord, I've never been a fan of She-Ra, but I've never seen her as damsel in distress , but the way Skeletor was handled was just the absolute worst piece of comic book writing I've ever read . So,.... he's a growling dog on a leash, and Despara beheads him on a whim... wow! Great and fitting end to the absolute lord of evil... (that was sarcasm)... And whats with his scare glow arm ?

Now on to the most boring design in motu history.... 80's ponytail, silver robot chest blue pants man!!!
    Good grief!!! really !!! This is your son of He-Man !! Terrible just terrible.

Then the big one .... Castle Grayskull blows up!!! And old Jitsu, evil Orko, and the 5th member of Kiss show up .......... I'm done.

Yeah, this Comic really sucks this time! Ram Man II? Man E Faces II? LAME looking! More new characters? they look LAME! Forklift?? lol .....DARE is nothing more the NA He-Man repaint! LAME!!!!!!!!!

I'm interested in some of the other mini Comic characters like Lady Slither and CAC like Major Header,Ra-jar etc....but this group is just plain Neitlick FAIL!!!

Comment

Terrible writing isn't new. Some of my favorite vintage mini comics are poorly written (The Obelisk, He-Man and the Insect People). But I can't think of anything as disrespectful to MOTU as this comic.
      Last edited by Battle Ram Man; 11-01-2015, 04:48 AM.
      Heroic human battering ram, catapult, and space warp device.

https://battleram.wordpress.com/

Comment

• D.M.
        D.M. commented
        Editing a comment
        "But I can't think of anything as disrespectful to MOTU as this comic. "

I can: Modern DC monthly comics.

Originally posted by teemu81 View Post
      Yeah, this Comic really sucks this time! Ram Man II? Man E Faces II? LAME looking! More new characters? they look LAME! Forklift?? lol .....DARE is nothing more the NA He-Man repaint! LAME!!!!!!!!!

I'm interested in some of the other mini Comic characters like Lady Slither and CAC like Major Header,Ra-jar etc....but this group is just plain Neitlick FAIL!!!
      You can blame Neitlich for Dare's look (maybe), the unnecessary shoehorning of Despara into the Convoluted Classics Continuity and the wasteful Zombie Skeletor (almost definitely), and probably the blowing up of Castle Grayskull (iffy), but the New Masters come straight from Lou Scheimer's "He-Ro Son of He-Man" proposal. See http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...age37_full.jpg for proof.

Of course, it was his choice to use them, and I can't say it was a good idea ... but I'd have said that regardless of who was behind it. The "He-Ro, Son of He-Man" proposal has never worked for me.

Comment

• Shawn
        Shawn commented
        Editing a comment
        Key word being "proposal". Neither the 1988 or 1996 bibles could be considered as much as this is now (unfortunately) canon. The concept of lost/adopted son are interesting. I think a truly talented writer could takes these "failed pitches" (I dislike that term, since creative endeavors are about a work in process) and do something truly innovative and new with MOTU.

• Crespo
        Crespo commented
        Editing a comment
        We can blame him for Dare's look. He CHOSE to reuse the rejected Dare Look that Became NA He-Man's look with Vykron bracers. He could have easily said: Let's have Nate Baerscht(sp?) and the 4H redesign Dare, seeing that their Light Hope and NA She-Ra looked great! Hell! Even the Filmation He-Ro has a similar, yet different Harness that they could have used.

• D.M.
        D.M. commented
        Editing a comment
        And just like Emilliano's ideas, Scott stole something that MATTEL DOESN'T OWN.

Yeah, it's just a shitty story, and wether he means it or ot it's just pain disrespectful to the story ,
      She-ra, Skeletor, and castle grayskull are all treated awful in this utter crap comic , the arts not bad, and the only moment I liked was when He-Man arrived at CGS and kissed Teela.

Comment

It's seems impossible see and read this mini-comic without having proper figure with it.

Comment

Apart from just being - not so good - it doesn't even quite line up with some of the established bios:

King He-Man - Heroic Ruler of Future Eternia

After his sister defeated Horde prime, the threat of Adam’s old enemy Skeletor once more called He-man to one final battle. In an epic duel on the Jaw Bridge of the great Temple of Power on Trolla, He-man at last defeated Skeletor in single combat. Recovering the Vortex Key, He-man could now return to his home world. There he found his queen mother keeping the throne and mourning the passing of King Randor. Taking his rightful place as his father’s heir, Adam became King He-man ruling over all Eternia with his wisdom and strength. He married Teela and together with their son Dare took over his father’s legacy as the new He-ro, defender of Eternia and the wielder of the Sword of Power.

Not quite an exact reflection of the events in either this or the last mini comic.

Comment

• Shawn
            Shawn commented
            Editing a comment
            "After his sister defeated Horde prime, the threat of Adam’s old enemy Skeletor once more called He-man to one final battle. In an epic duel on the Jaw Bridge of the great Temple of Power on Trolla, He-man at last defeated Skeletor in single combat."

happened in the previous comic.

"Recovering the Vortex Key, He-man could now return to his home world."

Ah, I now see that's why he couldn't return to eternia before despite having a fast ship and a friend with a COSMIC key. WTF is a "Vortex Key"?

Recovering the Vortex Key, He-man could now return to his home world. There he found his queen mother keeping the throne and mourning the passing of King Randor. Taking his rightful place as his father’s heir, Adam became King He-man ruling over all Eternia with his wisdom and strength.

We see that in this comic.

He married Teela and together with their son Dare took over his father’s legacy as the new He-ro, defender of Eternia and the wielder of the Sword of Power.

Well, in the comic He-man says he "secretly married" Teela BEFORE he left. but other then that, it lines up well enough. Shitty as it all may be...

WOW, just wow, what did I just read???!!!... :skeletormes::trapjaw:

Scott truly deserves a bucket of shit on his talentless air head for writing this atrocious piece of donkey's ass!... Seriously, this is the worst MOTU comic ever written to date! :stinky:

Too bad to see Axel Gimenez's exquisite talent was wasted on this, this, this toilet junk!... Seriously, a character called Air-Bag is part of the new Masters of the Universe's team now? WTF!!!

And of course Scott had to shove his TMS in it as well...

Gosh, I need a drink after this blasphemy...

Comment

• Shawn
            Shawn commented
            Editing a comment
            "Air-Bag - A blustery hothead with the power to inflate like a balloon and expel super-breath." is no worse then Ram-Man or Man-E-faces IMO.

"Fork-Lift - Has fork-like arms capable of lifting anything and flipping it over his head behind him. Described as "a cross between an Olympic weight-lifter and Godzilla." Now that's a guy who might work on Earth, but not Eternia. Does Eternia even have the need of fork lifts given all the flying technology?

and they where not REJECTED. Mattel wouldn't even LOOK AT THEM originally.

• Mechanizor
            Mechanizor commented
            Editing a comment
            Huh! Shawn you certainly keep me scratching my head with your logic!

• Shawn
            Shawn commented
            Editing a comment
            How so? Because the name thing? Or because I care enough to point out the difference between something that is rejected and something that was originally never considered. Mattel using Air-Bag and Fork lift, might actually constitute theft of LSP's concept. Wouldn't be the first time they stole something...

On the one hand Axels cool artwork and on the other hand a load of bullshit of a story. What to do with it?

Comment

The figure selection featured on the back of the comic is shameful. Shoehorning yet again.

Comment

• zombihamma
              zombihamma commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I hadn't even thought of that, , the narcissism of the guy, the two more popular characters by a massive amount , Drago-man & castle grayskull man, and they havnt even had a glimpse of the spot light, Hell if they don't turn up in the next two comics , it will be even more pathetic
              Last edited by zombihamma; 03-31-2015, 02:52 AM.

• zombihamma
              zombihamma commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh! And sir craps a lot has furry boots on in the picture at the back of the comic

• Shawn
              Shawn commented
              Editing a comment
              Good eye about the original Laser-Lot. While I think the idea, gimmick and name are good, parts sharing make him boring no mater what.
              I'd love to see a redesigned Sir Laser-Lot VS Dreago Man as a mini comic story.

The whole SOH era is just one big cluster****, featuring the most hated characters with the worst designs and the most disrespectful treatment of the MOTU universe to date
            Heroic human battering ram, catapult, and space warp device.

https://battleram.wordpress.com/

Comment

• MegaGearMax
              MegaGearMax commented
              Editing a comment
              I really hope going forward that SOH can stay in the past.

I don't know why TG to use chose me, but I was thankful for the shout out.
            I asked him why did he pick me on the .org, but he didn't answer me. He was too busy defending He-Ro II. LMAO!

I don't take this story seriously and treat it like an "Elseworlds" or a "What if" tale. This comic should be called "Welcome to the Neitlichverse". Just don't make this where the franchise is actually headed.

• She-Ra really goes through the ringer. TG always saw her as a weaker, female version of the main hero and this story seems to support those thoughts. He-Ro II can free She-Ra from Horde Prime, but the Sword of Protection can't keep her safe?

• Why bring back Skeletor, when Despara just killed him off again? What was the point?

• If Eternia is being attacked, why doesn't He-Man use his Power Sword, instead of his old 200X sword?

• Loved all of the Easter Eggs and Axel's art is amazing. Too bad it's being wasted on stuff like this.

• I hope we get a REAL 200X Adam before we get Dare.

Comment

• Crespo
              Crespo commented
              Editing a comment
              probably because MegaGearMax is easier to write than my He-Mullet_is_Vintage_MOTU But all jokes aside, remember that you were one of the most persistent askers who "harassed" Toyguru in the Ask Matty Section... (the others being He-Mullet...yadda yadda I should have used a shorter name, and Darkspecter)

-Not only She-Ra... It seems that the Storyline has tinges of Misogyny...
              Evil Lyn: depowered and Cast Aside.
              Teela: Shut inside Castle Grayskull raising her son while her Deadbeat Husband traveled the Universe.
              She-Ra: Turned into a vessel for Horde Prime's soul.
              Marlena: Grew old and returned to Earth (According to her Capt. Glenn Bio)
              Sorceress: Worm Food

The FIVE most important ladies in the universe are being cast aside.

-Because... Neitlichverse makes no sense?

-Because Forcing Dare on us was more important. Also, he needed to justify King He-Man showing up with a Broken 200X sword held by duct tape... Also, aren't there ANY blacksmiths on Eternos that could make a sword fit for a King?

-Axel's art is the only good thing about that waste of paper.

-Me too, but Knowing Neitlich He'll make us swallow Dare as his final *&^% you to the fans!

Originally posted by Eterni-or View Post
            Apart from just being - not so good - it doesn't even quite line up with some of the established bios:

King He-Man - Heroic Ruler of Future Eternia

After his sister defeated Horde prime, the threat of Adam’s old enemy Skeletor once more called He-man to one final battle. In an epic duel on the Jaw Bridge of the great Temple of Power on Trolla, He-man at last defeated Skeletor in single combat. Recovering the Vortex Key, He-man could now return to his home world. There he found his queen mother keeping the throne and mourning the passing of King Randor. Taking his rightful place as his father’s heir, Adam became King He-man ruling over all Eternia with his wisdom and strength. He married Teela and together with their son Dare took over his father’s legacy as the new He-ro, defender of Eternia and the wielder of the Sword of Power.

Not quite an exact reflection of the events in either this or the last mini comic.
            Neitlich had real problems keeping the Convoluted Classics Continuity straight. Exactly who was on whose side at the Second Ultimate Battleground seems to be in perpetual flux, for example.

Originally posted by MegaGearMax View Post
            • She-Ra really goes through the ringer. TG always saw her as a weaker, female version of the main hero and this story seems to support those thoughts. He-Ro II can free She-Ra from Horde Prime, but the Sword of Protection can't keep her safe?
            At least it's better than the 'He-Man kills Despara' rumor that was going around a year ago. But that whole thread sounds to me like a desperate attempt to shoehorn Despara and the DC Skeletor design into the CCC because Neitlich was more invested in telling One Unified Story than in just providing a bunch of fun characters and toys.

• If Eternia is being attacked, why doesn't He-Man use his Power Sword, instead of his old 200X sword?
            I thought Dare was using the Power Sword now?

Comment

• GREP-A-TOR
              GREP-A-TOR commented
              Editing a comment
              Keep reading the bios.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................

Originally posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
            I thought Dare was using the Power Sword now?
            In the comic, He-Man sticks the Power Sword in a glowing green anvil inside of Grayskull. He could have retrieved the sword from the anvil (and thus no Dare becoming He-Ro), but went into battle using his old 200X sword.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaGearMax View Post

In the comic, He-Man sticks the Power Sword in a glowing green anvil inside of Grayskull. He could have retrieved the sword from the anvil (and thus no Dare becoming He-Ro), but went into battle using his old 200X sword.

he couldn't though, because of the status field.
              http://thepowersword.blogspot.com

Comment

• MegaGearMax
                MegaGearMax commented
                Editing a comment
                But He-Man put the sword there HIMSELF. I was thinking that he could have removed the sword, but the story called for He-Man to be without the sword and for Dare to start using it.

• PhantomZodak
                PhantomZodak commented
                Editing a comment
                i was making a joke about the lack of proofreading. it should be a stasis field not a status field.

I prefer Lou Scheimer's Son of He-Man He-Ro/Dare design from 1996...With THIS Dare, all we have is rumor to support this design before these comics. This design is based on an unseen sketch. It can't even be verbatim that unseen design since he has Vykron's lower arms...So if you are not to use the original unseen design, verbatim, why not incorporate elements of Lou's pitch bible He-Ro II's designs? Or better yet, ask the 4HM what they would design and let them go to town. Ignoring that 1996 design completely makes even less sense to me since we see the likes of Craven, Kay-la Forklift and Air Bag in this comic. (which for better or worse, I welcome as this is a new era and we need new characters, though yes, we COULD have better ones.)

I'm even more confused that Mattel can even use them considering these characters where created by Lou Scheimer Productions independently of Mattel. (Mattel wouldn't even meet with Lou about it as I recall...) I wonder when Mattel acquired these rights? Or does this comic infringe upon Lou Scheimer's original IP? I doubt Mattel's legal department would play that loosely with what characters they own and which ones they don't LOL.

All that aside, I cannot get into this comic AT ALL. almost nothing original happens. From the cover and concept this comic rips off Emiliano's homecoming, Despara is from DC series, her story already told! Castle Grayskull exploded in 1988 and just again more recently in DC comic.

Most of these characters are not new...Actually I think the only "New" characters are Dare/He-Ro 1.5, Skelcons, Lubic and that cleric who presided over King He-man's coronation...I doubt Mattel is gonna make Lubic for the same legal reasons as they are not going to make Karg. :-( If one of the purpose of these comics is to showcase as many characters as possible, how come we only see 3 "new" characters? We saw more new characters in previous comics. What about other characters BESIDES TMS and Laser Lot? This is the 3rd appearance of Skeleteen and the second of Unnamed One and we are still yet to learn anything about them. I Get the feeling the last panel of the 3rd comic is going to be "Scrollos" saying "keep reading the bios".

Moving the franchise forward is all well and good, but it's HOW you move the franchise forward that matters. This hardly moves anything forward. All it does is throw a bunch of action figures together with what might as well be a couple of children screaming "roar" "Crash" "bang" and "I killed you!!!" "NO YOU DIDN"T". Once again there is no story, no plot. This isn't a comic. It breaks all the rules of sequential story telling because it isn't telling a story at all. We would be better served by catalog and a timeline of events. We deserve so much more guys. :-( I'll stop this post short and save the "In my cannon" bit for the fan fiction section, I just with Scott did the franchise the same courtesy.

On a final note, He-Man as a dead beat dad who would abandon his son is NOT COOL. That is NOT what He-man would do. With Starship Eternia's ability and the cosmic Key there is no reason He-Man couldn't go of into Space/time fighting The Horde while also being present in his son's life. If I was Dare, and I just met my dad at age 15 or so and he said "hey son, I knew you existed, It's nice to finally meet you" I think that moment would be a bit bitter sweet. Yeah yeah yeah "only had a couple panels to tell the story".

However it was nice to see Orko not JUST being competent, but crucial! Years of practice will do that. Now we need that Crystal to trap Horde primes skull in! What I find funny is that somebody else I know was trapped in a Crystal in another story featuring a different version of Dare/He-Ro. ;-) It's funny how ideas are recycled, sometimes even unknowingly.

http://old.he-man.org/cartoon/exclus...le-intro.shtml
              Last edited by Shawn; 03-20-2015, 09:06 AM.
              Once upon a time, good advice was "be kind Rewind"now nobody remembers the past.

Masters of the universe The LOST TALES (a series of vintage style fan-comics and children's books)

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn;n38344[URL="http://i.imgur.com/p1oZh0q.jpg"
                On a final note, [/URL]He-Man as a dead beat dad who would abandon his son is NOT COOL. That is NOT what He-man would do. With Starship Eternia's ability and the cosmic Key there is no reason He-Man couldn't go of into Space/time fighting The Horde while also being present in his son's life. If I was Dare, and I just met my dad at age 15 or so and he said "hey son, I knew you existed, It's nice to finally meet you" I think that moment would be a bit bitter sweet. Yeah yeah yeah "only had a couple panels to tell the story".
                To be fair, He-Man didn't know Teela was even pregnant when he left. But I think TG screwed up by adding, "But somehow I knew."

Comment

• Shawn
                  Shawn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, If He'd have said "if Only I knew, I'd have been hear"or something to that efect, that scene would feel honest and make sense. No matter if it rips on Superman Returns. LOL. Instead, we now have to deal with Deadbeat Dad He-Man as Cannon because Scott doesn't think things through enough.

i was also annoyed that they introduced this scrollos guy instead of using Songster, who is mentioned in that old comic book

Originally posted by Shawn View Post

I Get the feeling the last panel of the 3rd comic is going to be "Scrollos" saying "keep reading the bios".
                http://thepowersword.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomZodak View Post
                  i was also annoyed that they introduced this scrollos guy instead of using Songster, who is mentioned in that old comic book
                  Well, in fairness:

1. Scrollos had a very extensive presence in the UK comics/magazines, from what I've heard. (I really would like to see those collected and republished.)

2. Songster's already had a cameo in the Secret Origin of Skeletor mini, IIRC. Still kind of hoping for a figure, but I've got good memories of the Power Tour.

Comment

This comic actually hurts the brand, Scott basically took the opportunity to do a awesome story and vainly tried to 'be a writer' squeezing his god awful character in where it never belonged, all the while shitting on the characters we love.

I used to work for a guy years ago (in a creature fx shop) who would come up with the worst ideas you could think of (design wise), stuff like " hey the horns could be growing from the eyes ,...but thin,... growing fat ,... but still pointy, right?"
                    Then of course we the Design team would have to try to make it work as not only a,... practical suit,.... puppet,.... makeup,....
                    But also look cool as a illustration.
                    This must have been how Axle, and to some extent,.. the Horsemen must have felt,
                    I could be right of the mark, but to me as I heard my old boss get all excited about 'a great idea' he had had, I just felt my heart sink.

Comment

• RoboSteveo
                      RoboSteveo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The Mighty Spector is a terrible character in every respect. I have never seen a more obvious "Mary Sue" character in my life. I doubt we will be seeing much of that character in the future now that Scott is gone.

And i was hoping it would end with a waking up Adam thinking it all was just a dream.
                    Please Mattel let it be that way in the last Neitlichcomic, then you can start new in 2016.

Comment

Amen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Considering we all know this was a way too shoehorn all concept and characters ever developed for the product (for trademark and copyright purposes), this was an absolute CLUSTERBOOF! As someone who would think the prior proprietor of this line would want to sell everything and anything, he would try to cleverly place everything into place (it's not that hard, would it be acceptable; that's the question). I swear I to this day VOLUNTEER my services for FREE to write these little projects if need be. And I am not saying I will convince you all to like it all, I promise I will make you consider it at least for a minute!!!
                        This version of Dare sucks end of story... and if it needed to be the 200X Prince Adam repaint couldn't he have given him BETTER colors? And considering the idea to sell various figures why the hell would he stick with the same NA look instead of trying to sell us a whole new figure? Makes absolutely no sense..

I would do a page by page breakdown but UGH no time... I just wish the effort would've been put to make everything count.

Comment

I just finally got my March figures after the delay from having to call GO-MATTY 3 times to get them to update my new card properly. I must say I agree with the general consensus here, the artwork is great! The story telling sucks. Talk about trying to shoehorn a bunch of crap nobody wants into some short little comic :/

Comment

My eyes have never rested on a more offensive, selfish and piss poor comic in my life. It is obvious Nutlick hates MotU, by the way he kills off characters in a way to wipe the slate clean for his own garbage SoHM/ Spectorverse. Like many have pointed out, what kind of an uncreative, egotistical ****** would push a series of failed pitches on fans, even though they are pretty much united in their hate for it? Nutlick is cancer to MotU. I wish the guys in charge now just started again, with no mention to a single Nutlick contribution. He thrives on trolling us, so the best thing to do is just ignore his fking BS and carry on as if anything he ever put forward never existed.

Fk Nutlick.
                            "The first condition of progress is that there is no censorship"

Happy in his folly, the fool embraces the devil...

IDH Custom toys

Comment

• MegaGearMax
                              MegaGearMax commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The fun part is that we have two more parts coming...and the final figure of the year.

• zombihamma
                              zombihamma commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yeah , DH your totally right, ignoring him and his abomination of a 'comic' is the right thing to do,
                              But that being said MGMs right I won't be able to contain myself tearing the next two apart( on the net and in real life) ,
                              And like I said elsewhere , if castle grayskull man, Drago-man, and even photog and Cy-chop don't make a appearance in the next two ....well it really does say it all , I think I'll treat these comics the same as I treated some of the later mini comics I had as a kid ,.....and just throw them away

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X