2017 Power-Con

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Power-Con

So looks like there's going to be exclusives again. Really hoping the pic isn't a hint. 200X He-Man and Skelly are big wants for me.

http://www.thepower-con.com/2017/01/...ts-exclusives/

I wonder how Val keeps scoring gigs and stuff like this even though people at Mattel, DarkHorse and S7 already know he's only in it for the money!
    Capitalism at its finest I guess! ????

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanizor View Post
      I wonder how Val keeps scoring gigs and stuff like this even though people at Mattel, DarkHorse and S7 already know he's only in it for the money!
      Capitalism at its finest I guess! ????
      These businesses are also only in it for the money. S7 may be fans but they didn't pick up the license as a charity.
      Sadly Val has influence over a large chunk of fans, whose only concern is getting stuff and not who they are benefitting.

Comment

Originally posted by darkhawk411 View Post

These businesses are also only in it for the money. S7 may be fans but they didn't pick up the license as a charity.
        Sadly Val has influence over a large chunk of fans, whose only concern is getting stuff and not who they are benefitting.
        Yeah, but seriously how many of these fans actually go to Power-Con every year? I can assure you it's only a small percentage. Remember that a big chunk of the last exclusives were sold online with inflated markups!
        Fans aren't benefiting from this, only the seller/s!

If S7 sold these directly from their site, they could've utilized the extra profits into their other sources they need to continue the line/s!

Comment

Rest assured, if you miss out on them at Power-con, you will be able to buy them later from Val Staples for three times the original price on ebay. It's just business, after all.
          “We change people through conversation, not through censorship." ― Jay Z

Comment

Originally posted by Black Zodac View Post
            Rest assured, if you miss out on them at Power-con, you will be able to buy them later from Val Staples for three times the original price on ebay. It's just business, after all.
            Or at the BBTS:
            http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/s...-Con+Exclusive

Comment

looks like one of them is disco skeletor.....PASS! on ALL of these repaints

Comment

• Draego-Man
                Draego-Man commented
                Editing a comment
                Says who? Where did you see this?

• Toywolf
                Toywolf commented
                Editing a comment
                Some images have been teased. Not sure about linking to other sites or not but here is the image URL:

only the human looks ok out of those Sid mashups. I'm surprised they didn't name the snake guys: stretch neck & vipor like in the motuc mini-comic. I'm not usually a fan of variants but the miniternia 3-pack is pretty awesome.
              http://thepowersword.blogspot.com

Comment

I actually like the other two too, probably even more! Hot-Shot looks a bit too much of a DC comic character, but he's cool none the less.

My favorite out of the three is Horroar, even though I don't like those silver colored boots on him!
                ​​​​​​​

Comment

The colors on the "new" characters from the 3-Pack "A" look weird to me. The painted colors being used don't feel like something we would have seen used in the vintage line at all. More thought should have gone into the colors being used on those characters. As is, they look very bland and boring.

The Adam/Stratos/Trap Jaw 3-Pack "B" looks very good. It might have been better to just release that one for 2017.
                  "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

I like that Mini-comic 3 pack

Comment

My main gripe with the Snakemen 3 is the colors, especially the Black Trap Jaw arm and Silver Mosquitor Boot on Black pants on the Whiplash Rattlor Trap Jaw Mosquitor mixed parts dude.
                      I ♥ Glimmer!

Comment

yes, those colors are pretty boring. they are too dark, too much black. oh well

Comment

Stratos, Trap-Jaw and Prince Adam look cool. The other pack looks like figures you would get at the dollar store.

Comment

For the most part, I'm unimpressed. The mini-comics figures look good, but those other figures look horrible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_oll0l1hfBn1vo0htbo1_1280.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	49815
                            Last edited by RoboSteveo; 03-22-2017, 06:27 PM.
                            “The internet treats censorship as a malfunction and routes around it." ― John Perry Barlow

Comment

They changed the colors on the figures after fan outcry over the lack of paint apps. Note the yellow claw on Lord Gr'asp and the silver paint apps on the Trap Jaw arm on Terroar. The He-Ro armor was changed to the Sir Laser-Lot armor (a smart move). They also changed his name to "Plasmar", due to copyright issues over the name Hot-Shot with other toy companies.

Name:	power_con.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	49814
                              “The internet treats censorship as a malfunction and routes around it." ― John Perry Barlow

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                                Captain Atkin commented
                                Editing a comment
                                The colours are certainly an improvement. Glad to see they listened to the fans and made changes, even after Val said that changes could not be made. These will probably sell better now than they would have before. The yellow claw is a huge improvement.

Originally posted by RoboSteveo View Post
                              They changed the colors on the figures after fan outcry over the lack of paint apps. Note the yellow claw on Lord Gr'asp and the silver paint apps on the Trap Jaw arm on Terroar. The He-Ro armor was changed to the Sir Laser-Lot armor (a smart move). They also changed his name to "Plasmar", due to copyright issues over the name Hot-Shot with other toy companies.

Name:	power_con.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	49814
                              that looks waay better. I didn't notice before that he comes with a horde crossbow. that's weird.

Comment

Hmm, I like the silver paint applications on Terroar, he's more vibrant looking now, and Lord Grasp looks better with the yellow claw, but still I'm not so sure about the new armor on Plasmar!

Comment

The new colors are OK, but not great. At least they painted the claw yellow on the snake guy. It's just a shame that they couldn’t have hired a professional colorist to come up with better colors for those figures.
                                  “We change people through conversation, not through censorship." ― Jay Z

Comment

I'm glad that Gr'Asp got some cool changes... Cool that Plasmar (should've been Plasmor) no longer has the He-Ro Armor, but that green feels way wrong...
                                    The Whiplash/Rattlor/Trap Jaw/Mosquitor thing STILL HAS SILVER MOSQUITOR BOOTS ON BLACK THIGHS AND HAS A BLACK TRAP JAW ARM... (With cool silver accents, but it still is a black trap jaw arm)
                                    I ♥ Glimmer!

Comment

• Mechanizor
                                      Mechanizor commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Intersting to know that Val was the the one who picked up the colors, I thought they were chosen from Mattel's old database or something!

I agree that the colors could've been better matched to fit within the MOTU's color palette.

• Captain Atkin
                                      Captain Atkin commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Mattel did not have colors on file for those figures. Power & Honour Foundation only had black and white artwork on file. Its very possible that Mattel never had colors picked out for them, but I'm sure they would not have looked like these guys. Mattel would have made them "pop" to get kids to buy them.

• Shawn
                                      Shawn commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      If they exist for Strobo, The names and colors must exist for these guys as well.. They are likely just lost to time.

Originally posted by Crespo View Post
                                    I'm glad that Gr'Asp got some cool changes... Cool that Plasmar (should've been Plasmor) no longer has the He-Ro Armor, but that green feels way wrong...
                                    The Whiplash/Rattlor/Trap Jaw/Mosquitor thing STILL HAS SILVER MOSQUITOR BOOTS ON BLACK THIGHS AND HAS A BLACK TRAP JAW ARM... (With cool silver accents, but it still is a black trap jaw arm)
                                    So what's the issue with the black Trap-Jaw arm, is it the color or the actual utilization of the arm?

Comment

• Crespo
                                      Crespo commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      It's more of a color thing. Using the Trap Jaw arm (which is black on the original figure) IN BLACK on another figure makes the new guy feel like a cheap rehash... If his arm was molded in say, Neon Green or Gold, then my issue wouldn't be THAT big... I respect the part reuse due to the history of those characters. The color choices are Mind Bottling.

• Mechanizor
                                      Mechanizor commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      I see, I think the black color was just a safe contrast to the purple, even though a few other colors could've worked well with the purple/dark violet scheme that was chosen by Val.
                                      I myself is more irked with the silver boots and loincloth, that choice alone just makes the figure dull looking and uncreative IMHO.

No Hood for Lord Gr'Asp = Lame Cheap Copout.

People showed very clearly how LL Skeletor's hood would work perfectly. What a joke to not just include that too.
                                    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

• Shawn
                                      Shawn commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Considering that Power-Con isn't that far off from now, it may just be a matter of not having enough time to get it included.
                                      Perhaps if we pester them politely, Super & will include it with a future figure or as part of a weapons pack.

yeah, it's pretty lazy that they used black just because the drawings were shaded in black. I wonder if this is just a way of saving money by giving us blastic again, like they did with vykron & rattlor.

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                                      Captain Atkin commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      I suspect that there was some cost saving done with so much black plastic being used for that 3-pack.

Come to think of it, "blastic" or Black-Tech" or "Blast-Tech" might have been a better name...Perhaps he uses the cover of darkness to blend in and snipe his enemies. I know a lot of people are disappointed in the over use of black color schemes, but there IS a lot of black in the original art. a trio of Black Snakemen does make a kind of sense if you think about it. They could be a Black-ops group working under the cover of darkness. Though I agree these colors are not what I would have done. I would have flipped the purple and black on "Horror". I think that would make him feel a little more unique. I don't think the silver is the problem, it just needed to be better integrated. Highlights on the belt and trap jaw arm to tie it all together.

I'm more disappointed in "Plasmar". If I'm right about the color coordinating theme, he may have been a brightly colored chrome to reflect the light of of Strobo? He would have to contrast with the gold Metallic of He-Ro to not look like such blatent parts reuse. So probably Silver along the line of Flying Fist he-man. I think his hole body would have been bright "Knight in super shining armor" gimmick. Silver hawks was just kicking into gear afterall at this time. Metalic Paint was all the rage.

These guys would need to be just as eye catching as other vintage zero tools/ minimally tooled characters like Faker, Screech, Panthor, Stinkor, Nightstalker, Scareglow, Randor, Clamp Champ and Savage He-Man, Kamo-Kahn. I really think this should have been treated as a contest where fans submit their ideas for color schemes and names and the whole community could have voted on it together.
                                    Once upon a time, good advice was "be kind Rewind"now nobody remembers the past.

Masters of the universe The LOST TALES (a series of vintage style fan-comics and children's books)

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                                      Captain Atkin commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      The only reason there is a lot of black in that concept art is because they were black & white sketches. It wasn't finished production art. It would have been nice to know what the pantone colors were going to be, but there was no record found. To me, all that black shows a lack of imagination. I suspect the Four Horsemen would have given those figures more exciting colors (look at Draego-Man, for example).

i was going to buy two sets of those mash-ups to customize a set but shipping was already $80!!:skeletormes: so I just bought 1 of each. i guess it still ended up being cheaper than going in person.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X