Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pixel-Dan's review: MOTUC Slamurai & Snake Troopers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pixel-Dan's review: MOTUC Slamurai & Snake Troopers.

Another Power-Con 2019 exclusive:

I really like the extra mile they went with the different coloured skin tones on the snake heads. The added touch of the different patterns on the top and back of the heads, as well as different legs than the standard Horde trooper is impressive for Mattel. Must be someone new at Mattel that actually cares. Just like the added touch of the knives in the sides of the boots of the 5.5 inch SDCC exclusives, this attention to detail is definitely welcome.

Pretty disappointing that Slamurai doesn’t have the plain forearms like the prototype and the original artwork has. I think he also should have come with a white version of Preternia Disguise He-man’s poncho with the dragon emblem painted on to look like Errol McCarthy’s artwork rather than that piece of fabric. I’d have preferred that to the repainted Sy-Klone head for sure.

Too bad that attention to detail was focused on just the Snake troopers.

Comment

I don't know much about the concept work behind the Slamurai character, but to me all these figures look very good!

Too bad I cannot get them at this point... And if it ever happens and the Collector's Choice continues, I hope S7 or Mattel would re-release the Snake Troopers as a two pack or a single carded figure with the two different heads for army building.

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanizor View Post
        I don't know much about the concept work behind the Slamurai character, but to me all these figures look very good!

Too bad I cannot get them at this point... And if it ever happens and the Collector's Choice continues, I hope S7 or Mattel would re-release the Snake Troopers as a two pack or a single carded figure with the two different heads for army building.
        Ya, I wish we got black helmeted Horde Trooper heads to go with these. Snake Men and Horde just don't fit to me. Still glad they are making these though.

Comment

• Andy
          Andy commented
          Editing a comment
          HMW Exclusive head/weapons pack???

• Y2Greg
          Y2Greg commented
          Editing a comment
          That would be awesome.

• Mechanizor
          Mechanizor commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL, I'll take it after making the 200X Trap-Jaw variant as the first exclusive! ;-b

Originally posted by Y2Greg View Post

Ya, I wish we got black helmeted Horde Trooper heads to go with these. Snake Men and Horde just don't fit to me. Still glad they are making these though.
        Actually I like the concept of the cyborg snake troopers since the day I was introduced to them by the Captain if I call this correctly. And if they ever release these again and they wanna make more money, I think adding helmeted trooper heads is the logical choice. I'd buy probably a bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanizor View Post

Actually I like the concept of the cyborg snake troopers since the day I was introduced to them by the Captain if I call this correctly. And if they ever release these again and they wanna make more money, I think adding helmeted trooper heads is the logical choice. I'd buy probably a bunch.
          That would be nice and an easy re-release. I'm curious if Mattel is taking Classics back.

Comment

Originally posted by Y2Greg View Post

That would be nice and an easy re-release. I'm curious if Mattel is taking Classics back.
            I think the plastic and the QC from Mattel's factory was simply better than S7's, however many of the Classics also had some sort of mishaps over the years! But still, Mattel is a huge company and has bigger budgets to produce things faster and cheaper, so if Classics go back to Mattel and if they decided to keep making these adult collector lines, I think overall it's the better choice, especially if they wanted to keep producing vehicles, beasts, giants and playsets...

Comment

I honestly don’t see Classics going back to Mattel. At this stage in Classics life span, why would that want it back? I think Classics will die with Super 7, if Classics hasn’t already with Snake Mountain possibly being the final Classics release.
              I see Mattel focusing on this new Origins line until/if there’s ever a movie to come out and I’d see them dropping Origins for a cheap, crappy movie line. After all, cheap crappy movie lines are Mattel’s go-to formula in the action figure aisles....

As much as most fans seem to hate Super 7, my guess is that they’re our only chance at MOUTC versions of Masks of Power figures, or a 200X Sorceress, or whatever we may want next from Classics (except for overpriced Power-Con exclusives like what’s happening this year).

There’s just too many D-listers remaining in Classics for Mattel to bother with (again, except for Power-Con exclusives). A smaller company like Super 7 is our best bet for more Classics IMO, shiny faces and all.

Origins is the sparkling new thing to Mattel, where they can pump out the A-listers to sell to us all over again in the form of a brand new line.

Comment

Originally posted by Croc-O-Bite! View Post
                I honestly don’t see Classics going back to Mattel. At this stage in Classics life span, why would that want it back? I think Classics will die with Super 7, if Classics hasn’t already with Snake Mountain possibly being the final Classics release.
                I see Mattel focusing on this new Origins line until/if there’s ever a movie to come out and I’d see them dropping Origins for a cheap, crappy movie line. After all, cheap crappy movie lines are Mattel’s go-to formula in the action figure aisles....
                As much as most fans seem to hate Super 7, my guess is that they’re our only chance at MOUTC versions of Masks of Power figures, or a 200X Sorceress, or whatever we may want next from Classics (except for overpriced Power-Con exclusives like what’s happening this year).
                There’s just too many D-listers remaining in Classics for Mattel to bother with (again, except for Power-Con exclusives). A smaller company like Super 7 is our best bet for more Classics IMO, shiny faces and all.
                Origins is the sparkling new thing to Mattel, where they can pump out the A-listers to sell to us all over again in the form of a brand new line.
                A good argument here even though it's a little cynical IMHO, nonetheless in regards to the Origins line, why the 4HM would bother to get involved to make a new line with new sculpts and invest in new molds just to drop it a year after and start a movie line?
                I think this might anger a lot of MOTU consumers if the new Origins line ends prematurely after its initiation!

Classics however is an enigma to me at this point, they say sales are dropping significantly, yet the biggest and the most expensive unit by far made it into production!... Probably crowdfunding is the best way to keep the Classics rolling at this point if Mattel chooses to keep it alive through them or though S7.

Comment

• Andy
                  Andy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is odd that the 4H see the need to make changes if we all know that movie figures are going to take over priority in a year or so. I wonder if the new articulation to the 5.5 scale is what they are leaning towards. I like that there is alot of detail to these and interchangeability, I just wish they could also make the waist come apart so that legs and the loincloths could also be easily switched around.

• Mechanizor
                  Mechanizor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, I think Mattel has an interesting unknown agenda for the MOTU brand which they could reveal at SDCC, a month from now. As for the Origin line, I really like your interchangeable waist idea, which could make customizing figures a little more doable.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X