Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Mattel pull the plug on Super 7 (besides the Reaction line)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Mattel pull the plug on Super 7 (besides the Reaction line)?

I happened to be on Facebook and saw a group talking about how Mattel has pulled the plug on Super 7’s license for Classics sizes figures (they poster referred to them as ‘deluxe’ figures) and 5.5” figures, leaving Super 7 with just Reaction figures and reissues of already made figures with added accessories in the Ultimates line.
    Is this true?
    If so, what a short-sighted shitty thing to do by a bunch of ****ing douchebags at Mattel.....
    Someone please tell me how the **** 7” highly detailed figures of the remaining MOTU Z-listers made by a teeny tiny company like Super 7 with no major retail space and at a $35 plus shipping price point can affect the new Origins line being sold at Walmart and Target for $14.99 with all the A-listers ready to go out of the gate?
    They are not in competition with one another.
    Just like how 6” Marvel Legends can coexist with 7” Marvel Select on store shelve, or WWE Elites can coexist right beside WWE basic figures, or DC Multiverse figures can coexist beside Batman Knight Mission figures on the pegs. And those different toy lines are in the same goddamn major stores right beside each other. Super 7’s Classics and Mattel’s Origins figures would never be in the same toy aisle at you local Walmart, FFS.
    There’s no reason to forbid Super 7 from continuing to make Classics figures if Super 7 thinks they can sell them. Mattel would still get the licensing fees from Super 7 while Super 7 does all the work regarding Classics. Mattel can focus on Origins and hopefully keep Rueben from messing things up aesthetically on those figures.

I just don’t understand that ****ing company.....

The short answer is: Yes, it's kinda true... But from what we've gathered thus far, it's momentarily, until the launch of the Origins line and could be during its lifespan, we don't know the details until Super7 (or Brian Flynn) explains it officially. But Brian has already hinted that he still has the MOTU license to a degree and will launch products under its banner.

I think Mattel is trying to have its grip back on the MOTU action figure toy lines for now. Anything that they think could jeopardize Origins potential sales is on hold... As for Classics, it's too close in scale to the Origins. Loyal Subject's MOTU line is also on hold because Mattel is bringing back its Minis line.

I don't know much about Mondo's and Tweeterhead/Sideshow's MOTU production lines, probably they're still running if Mattel has no MOTU products in plans that are similar!

Comment

I am interested to see if the ReAction figures still get produced. It is a shame to see them stop producing MOTUC.
      "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Atkin View Post
        I am interested to see if the ReAction figures still get produced. It is a shame to see them stop producing MOTUC.
        I'm only guessing, but I think the ReAction MOTU line doesn't have a big following that Mattel could be concerned about, probably they're safe from the license freeze!

As for MOTUC, I'm a bit cynical towards S7 here, but if it was decided to bring the line back into production at one point, I wish it comes from Mattel instead, especially if they get to produce more vehicles and playlets.

Comment

Mech, I have to respectfully disagree with you about Classics and Origins being too similar. 5.5” versus 7” is different enough IMO, and like I said before, they will be in completely different stores: Mattel’s Origins = big box retail stores, Super 7’s Classics = online & niche specialty stores. The chances of the both being on the same store’s shelves will be rare. And even if they are: Origins has the vintage red & blue packaging versus the green brick packaging of Classics.
          The two of them side by side will be an drastic change, especially when compared to Marvel Legends standing side by side with Marvel Select figures.

It’s a missed opportunity for Mattel to collect money from licensing fees from MOTU figures while making their own MOTU figures. Mattel always takes the scared approach and 9 times out of 10 they shit the bed. They were scared to release the appropriate number of secondary characters in a case with 200X and it cost them dearly. They’re acting scared again if they think a little company like Super 7 making highly articulated MOTU figures could possibly affect the sales of Origins. Besides, Super 7’s Classics were figures that had to be preordered and were basically made-to-order figures. How can that take a dent out of a mass market line that’s about to have media presence on Netflix in the form of a new cartoon.

Anyways, it’s a moot point as Mattel exec see things like you stated. My frustration is with them not you, so please don’t take this post as an attack on you Mech.

Comment

Originally posted by Croc-O-Bite! View Post
            Mech, I have to respectfully disagree with you about Classics and Origins being too similar. 5.5” versus 7” is different enough IMO, and like I said before, they will be in completely different stores: Mattel’s Origins = big box retail stores, Super 7’s Classics = online & niche specialty stores. The chances of the both being on the same store’s shelves will be rare. And even if they are: Origins has the vintage red & blue packaging versus the green brick packaging of Classics.
            The two of them side by side will be an drastic change, especially when compared to Marvel Legends standing side by side with Marvel Select figures.

It’s a missed opportunity for Mattel to collect money from licensing fees from MOTU figures while making their own MOTU figures. Mattel always takes the scared approach and 9 times out of 10 they shit the bed. They were scared to release the appropriate number of secondary characters in a case with 200X and it cost them dearly. They’re acting scared again if they think a little company like Super 7 making highly articulated MOTU figures could possibly affect the sales of Origins. Besides, Super 7’s Classics were figures that had to be preordered and were basically made-to-order figures. How can that take a dent out of a mass market line that’s about to have media presence on Netflix in the form of a new cartoon.

Anyways, it’s a moot point as Mattel exec see things like you stated. My frustration is with them not you, so please don’t take this post as an attack on you Mech.
            Well, let me clarify a little if I may:

From what I've read from various of conversations, a bunch of collectors (me included) assume that Mattel is the one who thinks Classics could compete with Origins when it comes to spending on MOTU action figure lines!
            The amount of dollars you could be spending on Origins could go to S7's Classics (also Loyal Subjects vs Minis), and Mattel probably didn't want to see that happening even if it sounds a bit silly to many of us!... Even Britt from Mattel has declared to Pixel-Dan that Origins is somehow aimed at adult collectors not just kids alone!

Mattel's legal and marketing departments are a bunch of old school corporate hats, and have a certain outlook on the toy market! And a lot of us don't necessarily agree or comprehend how they make their decisions!

I personally agree with your sentiment, and I've had some real issues with a company that let someone who's a self-centric lying dude like Neitlich run the MOTU show for a decade with no remorse by constantly deceiving the loyal customers and whitewashing their legit concerns!

Now, I don't understand why you disagree with my previous post when me and you actually are on the same page, more or less?! We both think Mattel is not thinking right, and made a lot of mistakes in the past!

Me and you could differ a little on how S7 was handling the Classics in terms of QC and selectivity, and I prefer seeing Classics go back to Mattel if it continues.... Mattel has the upper hand here when it comes to plastic quality, paint apps and pricing.
            Last edited by Mechanizor; 08-22-2019, 12:40 AM.

Comment

No disagreement now, just a misunderstanding on my part. I didn’t infer that you meant Mattel thinks Classics is in direct competition l with Origins (I think it’s pretty obvious how they’re acting that MATTEL believes this).
              I thought you believed the two lines are in direct competition with each based on how I read your original post. lol
              My bad....

Comment

• Mechanizor
                Mechanizor commented
                Editing a comment
                Ok good, now I can sleep a little better! ;-b

• Croc-O-Bite!
                Croc-O-Bite! commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol
                Don’t let the bedbugs bite!

Unconfigured Ad Widget