Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The vehicle that came with Sky High is not the Jet Sled...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The vehicle that came with Sky High is not the Jet Sled...

...So has Neitlich given an explanation as to why he chose to name the Sky Sled... a "Jet Sled"? There is an actual vintage MOTU toy called the "Jet Sled" and is quite different from the misnamed item we all received last year. Perhaps this was another error similar to the Mo-Larr/Oo-Lar debacle from years ago? Or maybe it's simply because Neitlich will be Neitlich, and the things he does will forever remain a true mystery.

So, even though it's very unlikely... but if Mattel were to release the REAL Jet Sled... would they name it the "Sky Sled"?

The Sky Sled...

The REAL Jet Sled...

I'd assume it's just a simple case of lost copy write like battle fist and Strong-Or. In the scheme of things, not a big deal IMO. I do like " The REAL Jet Sled", it would make a great small vehicle. that could be retooled into a horde chariot.
    Once upon a time, good advice was "be kind Rewind"now nobody remembers the past.

Masters of the universe The LOST TALES (a series of vintage style fan-comics and children's books)

Comment

The name Sky Sled has been used by other properties over the years. Currently there is a company called Sky Sled that makes kites for licensed products like Barbie, Star Wars, Batman and the Transformers. This may be why they were not able to use the name.
      "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

They should have just called it "Battle Ram Sled"
        Heroic human battering ram, catapult, and space warp device.

https://battleram.wordpress.com/

Comment

I can understand not being allowed to use the name Sky Sled due to copywrite and whatever, but of all the name choices out there... he decides to name it the Jet Sled... the name of another MOTUC vehicle? I just feel bad for those MOC/MIB collectors that have a toy with the wrong name on it. BRM makes a great point, "Battle Ram Sled" is so much more appropriate.

Comment

• shadowfall1976
            shadowfall1976 commented
            Editing a comment
            Since we're not likely ever to see the real Sky Sled in MOTUC....I think it's a decent substitution.

Beside the copyright issue, maybe he specifically called it Jet-Sled simply because it resembles the Jet-Ski the water scooter! Probably it was a compromise just to keep the Sled term in there!

Comment

Sky Sled was supposedly taken, much like Hasbro lost Trailbreaker, Jazz, Tracks, Hound, Octane...etc. I can see Mattel losing trademarks from certain toy lines, but that never should have happened to Transformers.

Comment

• darkhawk411
              darkhawk411 commented
              Editing a comment
              Unfortunately none of the toy companies thought these brands would survive this long. All of the major 80's lines have had some trademark issue involved with them.

• shadowfall1976
              shadowfall1976 commented
              Editing a comment
              Unfortunately they didn't see the toys as nothing more than a passing fad. Boy were they wrong.

Why not have just called it the Battle Sled? I mean unless the word association was to help with Sky High?

Comment

• Mechanizor
              Mechanizor commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you think TG's logistics and reasons are logical or have a lot of sense?! Perhaps Battle-Sled sled away from his rusted mind...

I doubt we'd ever see the Jet Sled anyway, they were one of the poorest selling pieces in the vintage line, doubt they'd repeat that mistake twice.
            “What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."― Salman Rushdie

Comment

Originally posted by _RZ_ View Post
              I doubt we'd ever see the Jet Sled anyway, they were one of the poorest selling pieces in the vintage line, doubt they'd repeat that mistake twice.
              Personally, I think that the Jet Sled is a very cool little accessory from the vintage line ! And not very expensive either... This is exactly what we'd need in MOTUC at the moment : vehicles that are classy, and that are not too expensive. Plus, I wonder what kind of additional details the Four Horsemen could give to the original 80's Jet Sled...

Comment

• Anti-Guru
                Anti-Guru commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree with this.

• _RZ_
                _RZ_ commented
                Editing a comment
                I think it's a cool piece too... but it was one of the worst selling He-Man toys of all time. You could buy sealed cases of those for $20 or less in the early-mid 90's. I doubt they want to make that mistake again.

This isn't something new. When it first came out. Many vintage fans argues why the name. It doesn't fit the vintage vehicle. I thought the reason that it wasn't called the Sky Sled was a license issue. Someone else had it. So they went with the Jet Sled. Just like Strong Arm they named him Strong-Or. I believe it's just a rights issue.

Comment

I've always liked the Jet Sled. The fact that it could also be used as a jet pack was pretty cool to me as a kid. I always liked the blue He-Man armor (with a red cross on the chest!) that it came with too. I think it would be a great addition to MOTUC.
                "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X