The Official BLAST ATTACK Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official BLAST ATTACK Thread!

The vintage Blast Attack had a cable button that plugged into his back. When pressed, the button would activate a spring loaded mechanism allowing Blast Attack to split in 2 pieces. What are your hopes and thoughts for the MOTUC version of this figure?

I always used that white cable as a whip that he could use as a weapon.
    "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

...so...genuinely not being a snot, here, but...this guy came out after I outgrew the line. What was the point of his "power"?

"No need to beat me up, He-Man! I can defeat myself just smashing, thanks!" *falls apart*

Oh, OK, Google tells me he was a suicide bomber who could re-form himself. OK, yeah...that's...inappropriate on a fantastic level in light of world events since he first was released...
      Last edited by Dark Angel; 02-27-2014, 01:16 AM.
      Not every beast is tender, especially if there is genius in his making.

Comment

• Anti-Guru
        Anti-Guru commented
        Editing a comment
        He's a strange character... like he's a product of Mattel running out of ideas towards the end of the line. I more or less stopped playing with MOTU around 1986-1987... I was more interested in video games at that point, so I lost track of MOTU and didn't know about this guy or any other '86-'87 figures. Then one random day in 1988, I was wandering around Kay-Bee Toys (a toy store long gone), and saw the MOTU figures. I saw King Randor, Sorceress, Snout Spout, Clamp Champ, Blast Attack, and Scare Glow, and even Eternia for the first time. They were all marked down. My reaction to those figures was pretty much, "LAME!" ... but that's because I moved on and thought MOTU was stupid. Now all those figures are among my favorites from the vintage line. oh yeah... I also saw Rio Blast too... I thought he was the coolest one of the bunch.
        Last edited by Anti-Guru; 02-27-2014, 01:27 AM.

I personally love Blast Attak. I dig the way he looks and that he has a convoluted back-story. In my canon, he was more of an EOD and bomb expert. Him and Dragstor were the dynamic duo of Horde/Evil Warrior team-ups.
      “Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
      Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

Pray that he won't have the Trap Jaw legs that they love to re-use. I had thought that Mattel would go all out for all Vintage characters and not re-use the legs, but Rokkon and Stnedar proved me wrong.

Comment

• GREP-A-TOR
          GREP-A-TOR commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. At some point they need to be retired.

I really hope Mattel wont try to implement his action feature. They did it with Rokkon, Stonedar and Double trouble and it turned out awful imo

Comment

• darkhawk411
          darkhawk411 commented
          Editing a comment
          I really like Rokkon and Stondar. I'd love to see the Horsemen's sample of Double Trouble just to get an idea of how bad she's been Ruebenized. As for Blast Attack I think the should just ball joint all his limbs so he can be pulled apart.

• GREP-A-TOR
          GREP-A-TOR commented
          Editing a comment
          I too like Rokkon and Stonedar and find them superior to the originals. I like how they incorporate the features as additional accessories - like with Mantenna. I would take a Blast Attak with or without his action feature.

I just hope that he isn't wearing a fat suit.
        “The internet treats censorship as a malfunction and routes around it." ― John Perry Barlow

Comment

The way things are going, hit after hit, maybe it's better people start making their own customs for Blast Attak. No more fat suits, I can't take it.
          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I just want the line to end soon. If the line doesn't give us all the vintage MotU and PoP figs by the end of the year, things might get ugly.
            “Censorship always defeats it own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion." ― Henry Steele Commager

Comment

i hope he comes with a removable snake man symbol of some kind. i'm ok with the trapjaw legs but they should give him parts that could be used with NA guys.
              http://thepowersword.blogspot.com

Comment

Blast-Attak sucks!

Let me clarify... I love Blast-Attak and was really looking forward to this figure. Now I could care less. I think they totally messed up bad on this one. The sculpt looks fine, but he is a total FAIL as an homage to the vintage figure.

The fact that he doesn't split apart is a deal breaker. There are multiple ways they could have recreated the coolest part about this figure, but instead they opted to stuff it to the fans and screw us all over.

Now we are being told the figure is too far along to make changes... and yet a few weeks ago we were told that if the sub failed he would never be made? Sounds like a big bloody lie to me.

Here is the Lie-Or's response to good fan suggestions...

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/6701037678

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/6701037678

They had PLENTY of opportunity to consult with the community, but once again chose not to, all so they could sell us sub-par product for as much profit as possible on their end. Total cheap out.

I know they say don't replicate vintage features, but in this case it was MANDATORY, otherwise why even make him at all? They were able to do it for Extendar, so why not Blast-Attak? The answer is because they don't fcuking care!

Assholes.
                Last edited by Draego-Man; 10-12-2014, 05:58 PM.
                "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

Oh, I totally agree with you. They made a new torso. No reason why they couldn't have made it in 2 pieces...
                  “Censorship always defeats it own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion." ― Henry Steele Commager

Comment

The Torso is a Horde Trooper torso in red, but there WERE many ways to tackle the Blast part.
                    I ♥ Glimmer!

Comment

Funny, in January 2013 I posted on the .org's Blast Attack Speculation thread a crude drawing of Blast attack (with far more parts reuse than we ended up with) with a second exploding torso (based on the swappable torsos on Hssss)
                      The idea was that the second Exploding torso would allow people to plug in the head, arms and hands (I used HP hands and forearms for him in my recipe) because I suspected that Mattel would never do the split in half version properly.

OK, let's say that the second torso being an explosion is "logistically impossible". How about a second armor that was exploding? (By that I mean an armor that looks bulkier than Rubenized Armors, deformed and had partial explosion effects sculpted on it)

I'm oping that the arms are removable (since he shares Trap Jaw's shoulders) So I can display a headless and armless BA to simulate an exploding Blast attack with Bandai's upcoming explosion effects. (Which BTW is kinda sad that I have to look to OTHER toy companies to do what Mattel can't or won't do.)
                      I ♥ Glimmer!

Comment

Can you post your idea to use the Bandai incoming explosion effects?
                        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Blast-Attak might look good, but his blast feature should've been a priority, much like Mechaneck, Extendar, Modulok, Rio-Blast... This is just another cheap and lazy attempt by Mattel to save money.

Comment

He is nothing to get excited about that's for sure

Comment

IF the arms are indeed removable, then I might be able to use Blu Tac to stick the Bandai Explosion blasts to the arms. Right now it's all theoretical since I don't have the effects and I'm not that sure about their size compared to a MOTUC.
                              I ♥ Glimmer!

Comment

More bullshit...

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/5311047678

So they thought of that cool idea (yeah right!) but decided against it to cheap out?

Why is it that we get a stupid Gwildor with extra paint aps and an extra cosmic key that NOBODY asked for and yet we can't get a proper Blast-Attak?

Why is it that we get a Spinerella with a stupid extra hair piece that NOBODY asked for and yet we can't get a proper Blast-Attak?

They could have increased the price of Blast-Attak if necessary so as to not make a crap figure, but instead they increase the price of these two throw away characters instead?

How is it that Extendar was "affordable" but Blast-Attak isn't?

It is just insult after insult with this ****ing line! **** you Scott!
                                Last edited by Draego-Man; 10-13-2014, 04:06 AM.
                                "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

• Dark Horse
                                  Dark Horse commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Simple answer is, Nutlick didn't like the character. Plus he was an incompetent, uncreative moron.

I don't care because Blast Attak as a design looks awful, IMO (vintage and Classics). Probably the worst figure of the vintage line.
                                Heroic human battering ram, catapult, and space warp device.

https://battleram.wordpress.com/

Comment

The thing is, they could have gotten really creative:

Rio-Blast, Hurricae Hordak need to have holes in their chests.

Dragstor needs space for a wheel

Blast Attak needs to come a part. in at least two peaces somehow...

I'm not a toy designer, nor am I an engineer. However I'm imaginative. I can't draw, but I can imagine how, with character specific removable peaces and armors, the "Horde Trooper torso" could have been designed to use for all of these guys. Mekaneck as well...Now The Ab crucnh probally would have to be sacrificed, but I am ok with that since these guys are most robots, not many old school robots can do sit ups, you know?

That they couldn't at least have the limbs pop off is extremely laughable considering that is exactly what Multi-Bot does. "not affordable". hahahah. Please stop, my sides are splitting
                                  Once upon a time, good advice was "be kind Rewind"now nobody remembers the past.

Masters of the universe The LOST TALES (a series of vintage style fan-comics and children's books)

Comment

Exactly. "Not affordable" my ass. More like "not creative, don't give a shit".

They could do it in the bloody 1980s, so if they cared, they could do it now. Idiots!! Total freaking idiots!

Comment

Ah, Blast Attak, probably the single most oddly named, unusual, and memorable MOTU characters. Is he a robot? A snakeman? A combination of the two? These arguments have come up over the years. I'd like to think he's both. I've always been a fan of is creepy, militant color palette, and frightening self detonating abilities. Its easy to imagine him being quite fearsome on the Eternian battlefield.

Here we have a photo of the vintage Blast Attak, with a great 200x custom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_973.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	27571

Here's an interesting fan art of BA, looking more like a Cobra Viper. Click image for larger version

Name:	Roboto_and_Blast_Attack_by_vaporman.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	27553

Here he is in all his MOTUC glory!

Click image for larger version

Name:	MOTU_Blast_Attack_01__scaled_600.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	27555

I can't wait to own him, he's going to be awesome!
                                      Last edited by Sky Runner; 10-13-2014, 04:45 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't say Blast Attack "rocks" but I think the MOTUC version ist okay, a solid 7 out of 10. I my book he is a creation of Snake Man-at-Arms and therefore a member of the SnakeMen (aka the most under-represented faction).

I do understand the fuss people make about his missing action feature but personally I can live without it, because I wouldn't display him "exploded" anyway.

Comment

• Shawn
                                          Shawn commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Do you never fiddle with Tri-Klops Visor, Swap out Trap Jaw's hands or swap limbs on Modulok & Extendar or alter Mekaneck or fisto's appearance?

I have a hard time understanding that since I "play with" my toys every opportunity I get. That's half the fun. Otherwise, Why not ditch the articulation all together and go back to stactions?

I am very happy with Blast Attack. The only thing I think they could have done better was have him separate at the waist (like King Hiss) if they couldn't have the figure split down the middle. Nevertheless, this is a great looking figure.
                                        "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X