Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the MOTU toy lines in jeopardy now after the Revelation show debacle?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the MOTU toy lines in jeopardy now after the Revelation show debacle?!

... If you have the time to waste and don't mind the funny language and the excessive geekiness, I found a couple of shows/interviews for you discussing what could happen to the Origins, Revelation and the other MOTU lines in terms of sale decline or cancellations!

Clownfish TV;Revelation BACKLASH Could Affect Mattel TOY Sales?:

RetroBlasting; Masters of the Universe Origins Distribution - Why Is It So Bad?:

BTW, The Kevin "Toy Smuggler" happen to echo Scott Neitlich's theory of Mattel could lose the MOTU license around 2023 after the 30 minute mark, so beware!

I like ClownFishTV but I've been doing my best to avoid the Revelation thoughts and reviews to avoid the hurt, pain and anger.

I've also been avoiding the videos calling out Kevin Smith because of the same reason.

I stumbled onto an article that really spoiled things for me. So IF I wanted to watch the show there's no point or interest.

This is the only review video that I watched because I can't say no to him.

Comment

• Mechanizor
      Mechanizor commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I saw that video a few days ago as well... But that's mostly a reaction review about the show itself.

If you have a Netflix subscription, I'd recommend watching Revelation and judge it for yourself as a MOTU fan. At least the animation and the art is worth checking out.

My whole YouTube recommendations are blistered with folks basically saying that Kevin needs his geek card revoked.

Anyways he did a Comic Con podcast and the basic gist of it is him saying that this is only half the story and He-man will be back by episode 7. Then he basically says that complain and review bomb 4Revelations all you want but Netflix don't care about the outrage and Kevin only cares what the people writing the checks think.

https://youtu.be/1oBvJsudkZs
    “Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.” ~Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Andy
      Andy commented
      Editing a comment
      It's like 3 hrs long. He tries to clarify his beef with clownfish but not really. He just says that he shouldn't have retweeted them. The only other noteworthy things are what I posted above.

Oh also that Evil Lynn will have more story in part 2

• Mechanizor
      Mechanizor commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the summary... Looks like Clownfish has gained a lot of subscribers because of this drama after all. LOL

• Andy
      Andy commented
      Editing a comment
      That YT link must be getting review bombed as well. Almost 80% dislike it.

Clownfish isn't the only one getting new subscribers..as I said, my YT recommendations are now petered with bad reviews of Revelations.

I wish someone could get Jim Cornette to do a review. Now that would be hilarious

I doubt they are in serious jeopardy. If Mattel is smart, they will continue with the ORIGINS line for a few more years.

Masterverse is focused on Revelation right now, but it is supposed to eventually cover other stuff. They may want to start on that sooner than later.
    “We change people through conversation, not through censorship." ― Jay Z

Comment

• Mechanizor
      Mechanizor commented
      Editing a comment
      Well said...
      Was the vintage line officially running from 1981-1987 about six-seven years? I think Origins could it within 5 years or less if Mattel wanted to release most what was in the vintage line...

I was just at Walmart and there were no signs of Revelations anywhere. Not even a sku on the pegs.

On a side note. There origins were getting clearances. All they had was He-man & Skeletor which is no surprise. The Skeletor count was @ 7.

Also on another side note. I picked up MotUWWE Stephanie and Goldberg
    Attached Files
    “Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.” ~Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanizor View Post

BTW, The Kevin "Toy Smuggler" happen to echo Scott Neitlich's theory of Mattel could lose the MOTU license around 2023 after the 30 minute mark, so beware!

I find that very disconcerting. Too many YouTubers seem to listen and readily believe other YouTube videos. It’s as if YouTube creators are their own little Q-Anon….
      I saw one video by Midnights Edge and at the end of the video the guy actually said to check out Spector Creations YouTube channel to get the inside scoop on the toy industry, as if Neitlich is the expert on the subject.
      Scary how easily that shyster makes people believe him

Comment

Originally posted by Croc-O-Bite! View Post
        I find that very disconcerting. Too many YouTubers seem to listen and readily believe other YouTube videos. It’s as if YouTube creators are their own little Q-Anon….
        I saw one video by Midnights Edge and at the end of the video the guy actually said to check out Spector Creations YouTube channel to get the inside scoop on the toy industry, as if Neitlich is the expert on the subject.
        Scary how easily that shyster makes people believe him
        Yeah, people take it for granted that a guy who's worked for a toy company or two must be reliable enough for the inside info and is trustworthy for everything he says without digging into his past just a little!
        But the sad reality is, without some kind of scandal or a good exposure of the truth, people just believe everything they see and hear from their officials and the controlled mainstream media as is, let alone the everyday joe who you just met who claims to know more than you!
        And sometimes when you get confronted with the truth, more likely your reaction will be: Yeah yeah, whatever...

Nowadays everyone can claim to be an expert especially with the massive noise we're bombarded with daily...

Comment

• Mechanizor
          Mechanizor commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting, if this license debacle is becoming a widespread rumor, probably Mattel should come out and address it ASAP before it starts hurting their sales, and if it turned out to be an actual made up lie, probably Mattel's legal should contact Neitlch about it and let him detract it publicly...

• Croc-O-Bite!
          Croc-O-Bite! commented
          Editing a comment
          Unfortunately it’s a widespread rumour on YouTube from that fandom menace crowd for sure. I’ve seen it passed along to Retroblasting as well.
          I doubt Mattel has any idea what a little cockroach like Neitlich is up to. It would probably take us MOTU fans to contact Mattel through various platforms to make them even aware of Neitlich’s claims

• Mechanizor
          Mechanizor commented
          Editing a comment
          I know about the mentioning of it via the Retroblasting channel because I've already pointed it out above in the original post, but I don't how it's widely spread without someone from the corresponding channels digging for its sources and authenticity?

Regarding the Revelations toys, I think they’ll limp along. There were already complaints about the tiny noggins on He-man and Skeletor, and them both hardly being in the first 5 episodes won’t help either. The second wave looks good. There’s going to be people who hate Teela’s haircut that will boycott to prove a point, but I doubt that will make much difference other than making it a little easier to find for the people that will buy her. I think the biggest hurdle, as usual, is Mattel’s distribution.
        I think the next biggest issue is the wait for part 2 to air. If things do change in the second half and there’s more He-man, then letting a certain portion of the fan base’s rage to fester over part 1 being ‘Teela and the Masters of the Universe’ by taking too long to release part 2 is going to hurt sales.

As far as Origins goes, I think Revelations won’t affect Origins sales at all. It’s a totally different beast. Nostalgia factor for these figures is huge. In many ways, they’re perfect updates on the vintage figures. Even brighter colours, more articulation, ability to stand on their own, swapability of parts/limbs. There’s a lot going for this line, and I would hope that MOTU fans that don’t like Revelations would continue to get Origins and just ignore the Mastersverse figures based on the cartoon they don’t like.

Comment

Originally posted by Croc-O-Bite! View Post
          Regarding the Revelations toys, I think they’ll limp along. There were already complaints about the tiny noggins on He-man and Skeletor, and them both hardly being in the first 5 episodes won’t help either. The second wave looks good. There’s going to be people who hate Teela’s haircut that will boycott to prove a point, but I doubt that will make much difference other than making it a little easier to find for the people that will buy her. I think the biggest hurdle, as usual, is Mattel’s distribution.
          I think the next biggest issue is the wait for part 2 to air. If things do change in the second half and there’s more He-man, then letting a certain portion of the fan base’s rage to fester over part 1 being ‘Teela and the Masters of the Universe’ by taking too long to release part 2 is going to hurt sales.

As far as Origins goes, I think Revelations won’t affect Origins sales at all. It’s a totally different beast. Nostalgia factor for these figures is huge. In many ways, they’re perfect updates on the vintage figures. Even brighter colours, more articulation, ability to stand on their own, swapability of parts/limbs. There’s a lot going for this line, and I would hope that MOTU fans that don’t like Revelations would continue to get Origins and just ignore the Mastersverse figures based on the cartoon they don’t like.
          I hope Origins stays the main selling MOTU line for Mattel and won't get affected negatively by the shows if they happen to tank... The nostalgia factor is definitely the main selling point for this line, beside all the points you've already mentioned.

As for Revelation/Masterverse, I think Mattel can make it a Pre-Order line only via some geeky toy outlet partners like BBTS, EE and others, and of course via their own Mattel Creations if they wanna handle the shipping task, this way they can make the correct assessments and "logistics" of how much to produce of each unit without risking too much of its sales. Of course they'll be some discrepencies here and there, but nothing to jeopardize the line's production... That being said, if the shows actually tank and they see a decline in the interest for the toys, they can just limit them or cancel them, and just focus on the other established lines like Origins and whatnot...

But knowing Mattel and how they operate, sometimes it makes you wonder?!

Comment

Here is a video by RetorBlasting reflecting on the Origins replacing the vintage line:

I know this is a little diversion from the main topic, but it's kinda related to it in a way, and I'm just too lazy to make a new thread about it at the moment...

Comment

Thanks for posting that.
              Although it made me sad seeing how well the Origins figures go with the vintage vehicles. Sad because not a single one of my vintage MOTU vehicle survived the play of my two younger brothers back in the day after I stopped playing with them as a kid and stupidly left them in the toy box downstairs for them to get broken and parts & accessories lost by those two numbskulls, lol.

Comment

• Mechanizor
                Mechanizor commented
                Editing a comment
                At least you ended up with some broken vehicles Croc, while I ended up losing all my MOTU collection to one of my stupidest cousins, because my mom decided that I don't need them when we were moving!
                Not just MOTU, all of our toys (LEGO, RC, all die cast, video games and consoles, etc), graphic novels and comics, even music instruments were given to other people! One of the worst times in my life as a kid for sure, and none were replaced.
                If I think about it, the value of the stuff that me and my brother had would've sold for a good chuck of money on the secondary money nowadays, because most of what we used own were kept in a good-great condition... Only a few chosen battery operated toys were disassembled to learn how they would operate, and then either were assembled back again, or experimented with for other crazy projects of mine!

Some sad memories, but then again, a lot of kids had it way worse in this brutal reality of ours!

I don't think so. I ran a poll on my channel and more people loved it than hated it. It's just that the angry people are often very outspoken about their dissapointment, while the happy people tend not to be as vocal about their feelings. If anything is in jeopardy, it might be the Revelation toy line, but I don't see it affecting the sales of Origins, other than maybe helping it.

Comment

• Mechanizor
                Mechanizor commented
                Editing a comment
                Great to see you posting again Michael and sharing your opinion with us...

So the far the general consensus in regards to the Origins line is positive, and it will survive the tribulations of the Revelation show. At least the online market cannot keep up with the demand without the markups!

Thanks! I wouldn't be surprised if the Revelation line is a good seller either. A lot of fans can compartmentalize, and just because they don't like a show or movie doesn't mean they don't like the merch, or vice versa.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X