Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, are there 3 different Merman's ?

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a grasp on which figures I'm missing.

So I know there is the Merman remake, which looks like the original figure (roughly), and then there is the LoP Merman, which looks I guess like the original concept art, sortof a cross between the original figure and the cartoon.

I also keep seeing online what appears to be the LoP Merman, but without the LoP on the package. Is this an actual variant? Is it just a missing sticker?

Thanks.

Hello Mathius and welcome aboard.

Yes, when it comes to Origins, so far we have 3 different releases of Origins Mer-Man at least here in the US:
    a) The Power-Con exclusive LOP Mer-Man that came in a set of five figures.
    b) The regular release of Mer-Man that has the vintage head.
    c) The LOP mass release Mer-Man similar to the PC exclusive but with different pain applications. Now this release suppose to have the LOP sticker on its packaging, but some people have reported that their version of this figure was missing the LOP sticker, and I don’t know if that was a factory error or just a confusion from those customers!
    As far as I know, it’s not an official variant, and the actual figure is exactly the same… Of course I could be wrong, but I haven’t encountered a different variant in the US to report… That said, some international LOPs could vary in their packages like their mini comics, so maybe some releases in certain regions might be missing the LOP stickers!

Comment

Welcome to the board Mathius.

Mech, was the power-con version done in blue or was it green like the mass release?
      “Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.” ~Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
        Welcome to the board Mathius.

Mech, was the power-con version done in blue or was it green like the mass release?
        I think it's similar color to the regular LOP but maybe with a tiny bit shade darker and shinier?!... Here is a captured image I've made from Pixel-Dan's video to judge for yourselves:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ME13Y3FN_o.png
Views:	41
Size:	689.5 KB
ID:	57246

Comment

It's definitely shinier, maybe a tinge darker but it's definitely not TRU blue Merman. The highlights makes it pop more though IMO! Thanks for the screenshot!
          “Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.” ~Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Mechanizor
            Mechanizor commented
            Editing a comment
            You're welcome... It would be definitely cool if release him again in the old minicomic/TRU blue color., especially if he comes with a the deep sea monster as a two pack.

• Andy
            Andy commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes! Great idea!

We need more creatures in general. The purple spikey dinosaur bear thingy would be cool to have with savage he-man eventually. Maybe a Mattel Creations exclusive even. Just sayin'!

Originally posted by Mechanizor View Post
          Hello Mathius and welcome aboard.

Yes, when it comes to Origins, so far we have 3 different releases of Origins Mer-Man at least here in the US:
          a) The Power-Con exclusive LOP Mer-Man that came in a set of five figures.
          b) The regular release of Mer-Man that has the vintage head.
          c) The LOP mass release Mer-Man similar to the PC exclusive but with different pain applications. Now this release suppose to have the LOP sticker on its packaging, but some people have reported that their version of this figure was missing the LOP sticker, and I don’t know if that was a factory error or just a confusion from those customers!
          As far as I know, it’s not an official variant, and the actual figure is exactly the same… Of course I could be wrong, but I haven’t encountered a different variant in the US to report… That said, some international LOPs could vary in their packages like their mini comics, so maybe some releases in certain regions might be missing the LOP stickers!
          Oof. I forgot about the power con one. So... possibly 4 if the non sticker one is revealed to be some kind of variant.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I managed to score 24 figures, the Land Shark, the Wind Raider, the Sky Sled/Adam, and Battle Cat and Panthor for $375, which is a steal when you break down the retail prices, (but still a big investment) so I'm committed to trying to get as many of the line as I can at this point, but the whole process is frustrating for a few reasons.

Finding anything at retail is impossible unless you luck out and find it on the shelves at a local store, and more frustrating is the fact that the community seems totally ok with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathius View Post

Oof. I forgot about the power con one. So... possibly 4 if the non sticker one is revealed to be some kind of variant.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I managed to score 24 figures, the Land Shark, the Wind Raider, the Sky Sled/Adam, and Battle Cat and Panthor for $375, which is a steal when you break down the retail prices, (but still a big investment) so I'm committed to trying to get as many of the line as I can at this point, but the whole process is frustrating for a few reasons.

Finding anything at retail is impossible unless you luck out and find it on the shelves at a local store, and more frustrating is the fact that the community seems totally ok with this.
            Congrats on scoring all these Origins units with such a price...

I don't know if I would consider the strickerless LOP as a variant unless there is a difference in the packaging (art/text/labels) or the figure itself, but then again I'm not a collector guru... And BTW, there is a regular Mer-Man found I forgot to mention that had less paint apps on his face, and I'm guessing it was a manufacturing error, but would you consider it as a variant or a rare variant?

Out of curiosity, why you're thinking the MOTU community is okay with the lack of distribution and with its mishaps?... I thought most people were extremely frustrated about it, even this issue was addressed to Mattel more than once!

Comment

I really like all of the versions of Mer-Man released in Origins.
              “We change people through conversation, not through censorship." ― Jay Z

Comment

I don't know if I would consider the strickerless LOP as a variant unless there is a difference in the packaging (art/text/labels) or the figure itself, but then again I'm not a collector guru... And BTW, there is a regular Mer-Man found I forgot to mention that had less paint apps on his face, and I'm guessing it was a manufacturing error, but would you consider it as a variant or a rare variant?
                I'm not sure, I largely let the market settle these things. When I used to collect sports cards, a simple error could be just a mistake and devalue a card, unless it was done over a very large run, then it might be considered worth something because it was rare. These things are odd. I heard rumors of a blue bearded stratos variant on reddit.

Out of curiosity, why you're thinking the MOTU community is okay with the lack of distribution and with its mishaps?... I thought most people were extremely frustrated about it, even this issue was addressed to Mattel more than once!
                I guess largely due to the fact that I have zero presence on social media and I will browse reddit just because I don't have to have an account to read things there. I haven't really found anyone on youtube that I enjoy watching that covers this stuff, outside of an occasional blurb from Retroblasting or Toy Polloi. I was watching Spectre Creations, until I got sick of the creator name dropping every episode that he happened to work at Mattel and then later found out more about him (Scott Neitlich.) I am more interested in history and and whatnot rather than just basic reviews and there seems to be several youtubers in the MOTU community that are just shills for Mattel based on some of the things I've seen brought up on Retroblasting.

Reddit largely seems to be embracing the whole scene, with some people talking about their loyalty to online toy sellers and bragging about how they preordered entire waves in one go at their favorite online retailer. They also seem to be largely supportive of the Revelations mess. The demographic seems to be far younger, with some people actually thinking the 200x series is vintage and someone actually posted the other day asking if anyone had heard of the Filmation He-Man.

I grew up with the 80's toys/cartoon/etc. I've always been very frugal with my hobby spending and I don't generally spend hundreds of dollars on a single purchase. I have a pretty solid career now, but when the original Commemorative stuff came out and then the 200x stuff shortly after, I was largely strapped for cash. A family member bought me the commemorative 5 pack with the original he-man and skeletor.

I wish I'd been able to get more of the commemorative stuff, but in hindsight, I don't really regret not getting involved in the 200x stuff. The cartoon was entertaining, but it filled in a lot of stuff I didn't need filled in and added some backstories that didn't appeal to me. It wasn't all bad, but the recent additions of the new kids cartoon and Revelations, I kinda wish they'd never done anything after the Filmation show and just brought the Origins figures. I have no interest in the mini's and I wish they'd devote more attention to Origins instead of trying to split their resources on four lines while the shelves sit empty ( I DO enjoy the construx figures though, even though I haven't bought any). Speaking of the 200x stuff, it seems Mattel didn't learn their lessons from the batman syndrome the 200x series suffered from since the Origins line is over-saturated with He-Man and Skeletor base figures hanging on store pegs instead of a better selection of supporting characters.

I was originally slightly interested in the Classics figures, but it was basically the start of the mess we're in now, where if you couldn't get it right away at retail from Mattycollector, the price was instantly marked up by 50% second hand. It set a terrible precedent. I largely gave up early in the release, only picking up a Skeletor figure (never managing to get He-Man) and I wasn't even aware of all the "lore" garbage with Scott putting himself at the center of the MOTU universe, literally until much much after the line ended. I'm still more or less confused about how Super 7 got involved, or why some figures came in a regular bubble and others came in a box with grayskull backdrop, etc. I'm still way less confused by MOTU than I am trying to figure out the Transformers releases. I guess I'm getting old.

Comment

I'm not sure, I largely let the market settle these things. When I used to collect sports cards, a simple error could be just a mistake and devalue a card, unless it was done over a very large run, then it might be considered worth something because it was rare. These things are odd. I heard rumors of a blue bearded stratos variant on reddit.

I guess largely due to the fact that I have zero presence on social media and I will browse reddit just because I don't have to have an account to read things there. I haven't really found anyone on youtube that I enjoy watching that covers this stuff, outside of an occasional blurb from Retroblasting or Toy Polloi. I was watching Spectre Creations, until I got sick of the creator name dropping every episode that he happened to work at Mattel and then later found out more about him (Scott Neitlich.) I am more interested in history and and whatnot rather than just basic reviews and there seems to be several youtubers in the MOTU community that are just shills for Mattel based on some of the things I've seen brought up on Retroblasting.

Reddit largely seems to be embracing the whole scene, with some people talking about their loyalty to online toy sellers and bragging about how they preordered entire waves in one go at their favorite online retailer.

I grew up with the 80's toys/cartoon/etc. I've always been very frugal with my hobby spending and I don't generally spend hundreds of dollars on a single purchase. I have a pretty solid career now, but when the original Commemorative stuff came out and then the 200x stuff shortly after, I was largely strapped for cash. A family member bought me the commemorative 5 pack with the original he-man and skeletor.

I wish I'd been able to get more of the commemorative stuff, but in hindsight, I don't really regret not getting involved in the 200x stuff. The cartoon was entertaining, but it filled in a lot of stuff I didn't need filled in and added some backstories that didn't appeal to me. It wasn't all bad, but the recent additions of the new kids cartoon and Revelations, I kinda wish they'd never done anything after the Filmation show and just brought the Origins figures. I have no interest in the mini's and I wish they'd devote more attention to Origins instead of trying to split their resources on four lines while the shelves sit empty ( I DO enjoy the construx figures though, even though I haven't bought any). Speaking of the 200x stuff, it seems Mattel didn't learn their lessons from the batman syndrome the 200x series suffered from since the Origins line is over-saturated with He-Man and Skeletor base figures hanging on store pegs instead of a better selection of supporting characters.

I was originally slightly interested in the Classics figures, but it was basically the start of the mess we're in now, where if you couldn't get it right away at retail from Mattycollector, the price was instantly marked up by 50% second hand. It set a terrible precedent. I largely gave up early in the release, only picking up a Skeletor figure (never managing to get He-Man) and I wasn't even aware of all the "lore" garbage with Scott putting himself at the center of the MOTU universe, literally until much much after the line ended. I'm still more or less confused about how Super 7 got involved, or why some figures came in a regular bubble and others came in a box with grayskull backdrop, etc. I'm still way less confused by MOTU than I am trying to figure out the Transformers releases. I guess I'm getting old.
                  Thanks for the elaboration, and I know where you're coming from. I've been through it all more or less, and it will take a loooong time to explain the details on how things started especially with 200X and Classics, and how we ended up here!

I don't know if you have the time to read some of the old backlogs posted here, but it might give you an overall idea on how the community got split up mainly because of Scott Neitlich's egotiscal decisions and his controversial involvement with the community "leaders" around certain websites/forums and such.

Anyhow, Mattel now is on a different path than that Classics era at least, but they still operate as the Mattel corp we love and hate, so their marketing and production decisions are still all over the place, and they're still trying to figure out what's best for the brand while figuring out how to capitalize on it without losing on it or damaging it... That's why there are 4-5 different MOTU lines running simultaneously...
                  Origins might be a hit with the older crowd especially for those who grew up on the vintage line, but that doesn't mean it's the only way to move forward with the brand. Kids and other toy collectors might be more interested in the other MOTU lines, and time will tell.
                  I myself discovered the Filmation cartoons in the late 90's and I thought it was an awful representation of the MOTU stuff that I knew and loved from mini comics when I was a little kid, and for me MYP/200X was a lot closer to what I've cherished but in a new fresh format, but sadly it didn't continue...

Revelation has started with a big controversy, while the 3D Netflix show has had more positive feedback but then again it's mainly aimed at the younger crowd while its toy line seems iffy and underwhelming!

So, there is a lot of juggling ahead of us, and Mattel needs to figure things out before it's way too late... Toys usually take 1.5-2 years to develop while the Netflix short attention crowd wanna see things done within few months at the most!

Comment

I don't know if you have the time to read some of the old backlogs posted here, but it might give you an overall idea on how the community got split up mainly because of Scott Neitlich's egotiscal decisions and his controversial involvement with the community "leaders" around certain websites/forums and such.
                    It's funny you should mention that. It was this thread that led me to this board: https://forum.hemanworld.com/forum/m...of-motuc/page3

One of the things that always rubbed me the wrong way about he-man.org was the way everyone was syrupy positive about everything and just willing to support whatever was thrown at them. Now we've progressed to this point.

I myself discovered the Filmation cartoons in the late 90's and I thought it was an awful representation of the MOTU stuff that I knew and loved from mini comics when I was a little kid, and for me MYP/200X was a lot closer to what I've cherished but in a new fresh format, but sadly it didn't continue...
                    Obviously, you're entitled to your opinion, and like I said, 200x wasn't bad, but it didn't do anything with the line that I couldn't live without. More to the point, the Filmation cartoon did a lot of positive things for the entire cartoon industry at the time, and I'll die on my hill that it's a better cartoon than the 200x show, even if the animation is dated.

There's an almost inherent need right now among audiences to have some kind of consistent continuity arc over the course of a show that's completely unnecessary, IMHO. The Filmation show managed to touch on a lot of serious themes that it doesn't get credit for, like Drugs, Adam's struggle with the pressure of being He-Man and acceptance from his father. In fact, most episodes had a very strong moral that taught us as kids to grow up to be good people if you bought into it and I'm not just talking about the PSAs at the end of the show. Strong female characters such as Queen Marlena already existed, along with a sprinkling of minority raced characters without the need to have any type of forced diversity such as what Revelations tried to push.

The fact that it's 130 episode library dwarves the 200x cartoon is a huge plus as well. The vast character library shown in 200x, and available in the Classics line, was largely due to the success of the television show and the vision of Lou Scheimer. Most people naively call 80's cartoons a 30 minute toy commercial, but Scheimer didn't have to answer to Mattel and famously refused to put Stinkor in his show because he thought the concept of a villain that smelled was ridiculous.

Treating cartoons as commercials was Hasbro's downfall, when they famously killed off almost all their early Transformer's characters to make room for their new toy lineup and were bombarded with angry responses from parents who took their kids to see the 1986 movie only to see their hero, Optimus Prime get killed off. It's the reason Duke went into a coma in the 1987 GI Joe film because originally the script meant for him to die, but after seeing the negative reaction to Prime, Hasbro hastily rewrote it.

So, there is a lot of juggling ahead of us, and Mattel needs to figure things out before it's way too late... Toys usually take 1.5-2 years to develop while the Netflix short attention crowd wanna see things done within few months at the most!
                    I'm not seeing much in the way of progress. I already touched on the case variety issue, what I've heard called Batman syndrome, but I'm sitting here looking at the Prince Adam sky sled Vehicle pack and it illustrates how much Mattel is out of touch with their IP.

If they had put the Skysled with the Eternian Guard, then they would probably have sold twice as many as army building sets instead of having Target put Prince Adam on clearance for $14.99 for a period of time.

Comment

• Andy
                      Andy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mathius, I swear everything you said was like right out of my own head.

You're going to fit in just right. Even if you didn't we respect all of your opinions and there really is no fear of the ban stick or secret edits around here. Just be prepared for mech or myself to be a dork from time to time. You'll get used to it lol

Btw I'm a mini comics guy all the way but Filmation did build character for us old folks.

It's funny you should mention that. It was this thread that led me to this board: https://forum.hemanworld.com/forum/m...of-motuc/page3

One of the things that always rubbed me the wrong way about he-man.org was the way everyone was syrupy positive about everything and just willing to support whatever was thrown at them. Now we've progressed to this point.

Obviously, you're entitled to your opinion, and like I said, 200x wasn't bad, but it didn't do anything with the line that I couldn't live without. More to the point, the Filmation cartoon did a lot of positive things for the entire cartoon industry at the time, and I'll die on my hill that it's a better cartoon than the 200x show, even if the animation is dated.

There's an almost inherent need right now among audiences to have some kind of consistent continuity arc over the course of a show that's completely unnecessary, IMHO. The Filmation show managed to touch on a lot of serious themes that it doesn't get credit for, like Drugs, Adam's struggle with the pressure of being He-Man and acceptance from his father. In fact, most episodes had a very strong moral that taught us as kids to grow up to be good people if you bought into it and I'm not just talking about the PSAs at the end of the show. Strong female characters such as Queen Marlena already existed, along with a sprinkling of minority raced characters without the need to have any type of forced diversity such as what Revelations tried to push.

The fact that it's 130 episode library dwarves the 200x cartoon is a huge plus as well. The vast character library shown in 200x, and available in the Classics line, was largely due to the success of the television show and the vision of Lou Scheimer. Most people naively call 80's cartoons a 30 minute toy commercial, but Scheimer didn't have to answer to Mattel and famously refused to put Stinkor in his show because he thought the concept of a villain that smelled was ridiculous.

Treating cartoons as commercials was Hasbro's downfall, when they famously killed off almost all their early Transformer's characters to make room for their new toy lineup and were bombarded with angry responses from parents who took their kids to see the 1986 movie only to see their hero, Optimus Prime get killed off. It's the reason Duke went into a coma in the 1987 GI Joe film because originally the script meant for him to die, but after seeing the negative reaction to Prime, Hasbro hastily rewrote it.

I'm not seeing much in the way of progress. I already touched on the case variety issue, what I've heard called Batman syndrome, but I'm sitting here looking at the Prince Adam sky sled Vehicle pack and it illustrates how much Mattel is out of touch with their IP.

If they had put the Skysled with the Eternian Guard, then they would probably have sold twice as many as army building sets instead of having Target put Prince Adam on clearance for $14.99 for a period of time.
                    Great post and I don't disagree with most of it at least, and I'm not putting Filmation down as a cartoon, not at all, but for me it wasn't a good representation of what I've liked about my own MOTU universe, endless raw battles, sword and sorcery and sci-fi action all in one imaginative toy brand. The mini comics did that for me "somehow", and the rest was my own imagination.

Filmation wasn't much of that for me when I saw it as an adult, but I've enjoyed it for what it was, and I still have big DVD collectable set and other ones that followed it... MOTU as a toy brand shouldn't have a set of specific canon or rules for someone to follow and to enjoy IMHO aside from the basics of who's good and who's evil.
                    And as a toy enthusiast and a creator, I've always put more emphasis on the imaginative segment of what you have in front of you and how you'd like that universe to be morphed to your own needs... In short, don't let someone dictate how you should enjoy your own toys, not Mattel, not Hasbro, not LEGO not anyone...
                    If people like you prefer the Filmation canon and its stories, that's great as well. You always can relive those adventures until one day you can't. And if Origins or any other MOTU line allows you to recreate that fantasy of your preference, that's exactly why these toys are for.

As for Mattel, yes they have issues they need to sort out when it comes to toy and character selections and their distribution and everything in between, but we also don't know what goes behind the scenes, and how they've came up with such decisions and also why.

And BTW, when Scott was there running Classics, a lot of the stupid decisions were made by him from what we know today, and a lot of the times he kept blaming them on the hire ups and the management, but then again a lot of those guys ended up clueless about the brand to begin with! Go figure...

Comment

Great post and I don't disagree with most of it at least, and I'm not putting Filmation down as a cartoon, not at all, but for me it wasn't a good representation of what I've liked about my own MOTU universe, endless raw battles, sword and sorcery and sci-fi action all in one imaginative toy brand. The mini comics did that for me "somehow", and the rest was my own imagination.
                      Yeah man, I get it. If you've seen "the toys that made us," then you know that Mattel has been making this up off the cuff since day one. I know I read the mini-comics as a kid, because I remember the initial idea about the two halves of the power sword, etc. (which was nixed by Schemer because of Blackstar), but the mini-comics were also a lot less organized and coherent and the toy line largely didn't support it.

As an example, originally he-man changed harnesses to get different power upgrades, IIRC, but even the famous accessory pack didn't have any alternate harnesses for He-Man unless you believe he was meant to wear a yellow beast man armor or the black Zodak. They could have released the He-man harness/baldric with alternate colors or something, but they didn't. But they DID make an Orko toy, a Sorceress toy, i.e. things that directly came from the cartoon.

Of course to your argument the swords always came as halves, but it's hard to argue that's supportive of the comics when they were released with the toys.

Your opinion about the mini-comics is totally valid. But the way you feel about the mini-comics is the way I feel about the Filmation cartoon. It's frustrating to me when new people come in and take the creations that they didn't make and then treat them like it's their own personal sandbox and do whatever they feel fits their narrative. We've seen it over and over again.

And it's more frustrating when people defend this, largely because they weren't involved in the originals in the first place. I mean the fact that THIS exists: https://www.reddit.com/r/MastersOfTh...d_at_what_age/ I mean, geeze. Who would have thought there were people on a MOTU forum that saw the original MOTU. But to these younger generations, Filmation is just a bunch of youtube memes and gay jokes.

When someone takes something you grew up with, that shaped some of your ideals, and then changes it and feels they have the right to change it, it's no wonder the community is so divided.

Another great example I see is looking at the current Origins line. I've been trying to keep track using https://www.actionfigure411.com/mast...rice-guide.php and they have Sun Man in the line? These things appear to be conceived as a better articulated reboot to the original line, but they've included a He-Man KO? And I see a Faker and Dupli-cat? Wasn't that a fan creation they stole? And we have a single 200x variant (Evil Lynn) and several shogun Skeletor figures that share no resemblance whatsoever to the rest of the line.

If you have no cohesion at the top, why would there be any at the bottom?

Comment

Yeah man, I get it. If you've seen "the toys that made us," then you know that Mattel has been making this up off the cuff since day one. I know I read the mini-comics as a kid, because I remember the initial idea about the two halves of the power sword, etc. (which was nixed by Schemer because of Blackstar), but the mini-comics were also a lot less organized and coherent and the toy line largely didn't support it.

As an example, originally he-man changed harnesses to get different power upgrades, IIRC, but even the famous accessory pack didn't have any alternate harnesses for He-Man unless you believe he was meant to wear a yellow beast man armor or the black Zodak. They could have released the He-man harness/baldric with alternate colors or something, but they didn't. But they DID make an Orko toy, a Sorceress toy, i.e. things that directly came from the cartoon.

Of course to your argument the swords always came as halves, but it's hard to argue that's supportive of the comics when they were released with the toys.

Your opinion about the mini-comics is totally valid. But the way you feel about the mini-comics is the way I feel about the Filmation cartoon. It's frustrating to me when new people come in and take the creations that they didn't make and then treat them like it's their own personal sandbox and do whatever they feel fits their narrative. We've seen it over and over again.

And it's more frustrating when people defend this, largely because they weren't involved in the originals in the first place. I mean the fact that THIS exists: https://www.reddit.com/r/MastersOfTh...d_at_what_age/ I mean, geeze. Who would have thought there were people on a MOTU forum that saw the original MOTU. But to these younger generations, Filmation is just a bunch of youtube memes and gay jokes.

When someone takes something you grew up with, that shaped some of your ideals, and then changes it and feels they have the right to change it, it's no wonder the community is so divided.

Another great example I see is looking at the current Origins line. I've been trying to keep track using https://www.actionfigure411.com/mast...rice-guide.php and they have Sun Man in the line? These things appear to be conceived as a better articulated reboot to the original line, but they've included a He-Man KO? And I see a Faker and Dupli-cat? Wasn't that a fan creation they stole? And we have a single 200x variant (Evil Lynn) and several shogun Skeletor figures that share no resemblance whatsoever to the rest of the line.

If you have no cohesion at the top, why would there be any at the bottom?
                        The way I look at it; MOTU wasn't a one man's creation/story with a power grip like Star Wars was when it started... It was an amalgamation of different ideas from different toys and IPs put together to win the action figure market back in the 80's, so basically cohesion wasn't in its DNA to begin with... It was an experiment that actually worked, and Mattel did their best (or not their best!) to capitalize on it via different content creators and artists.

And to this day it carries on with a similar "none organized" roadmap with various of experimentations... That's also why fans and hardcore fans have their own unique perspectives about this property. Everyone has the right to like what they like and dislike what they dislike about MOTU and POP... No set rules aside from the basics; good vs evil.

Even Mattel wants to see some MOTU Origins fans customizing their own characters by mixing and matching parts from their figures and create their own with their unique stories. But due to the high tooling costs, we're basically limited to what is giving to us! I wish we could mix and match our beasts parts or the vehicle parts to create our own... I think you could do all that now with the Mega Construx line.

That's the simplest answer I can come up with at the moment, and I hope you find it explanatory enough to your MOTU dilemma.

Comment

The way I look at it; MOTU wasn't a one man's creation/story with a power grip like Star Wars was when it started... It was an amalgamation of different ideas from different toys and IPs put together to win the action figure market back in the 80's, so basically cohesion wasn't in its DNA to begin with... It was an experiment that actually worked, and Mattel did their best (or not their best!) to capitalize on it via different content creators and artists.

And to this day it carries on with a similar "none organized" roadmap with various of experimentations... That's also why fans and hardcore fans have their own unique perspectives about this property. Everyone has the right to like what they like and dislike what they dislike about MOTU and POP... No set rules aside from the basics; good vs evil.

Even Mattel wants to see some MOTU Origins fans customizing their own characters by mixing and matching parts from their figures and create their own with their unique stories. But due to the high tooling costs, we're basically limited to what is giving to us! I wish we could mix and match our beasts parts or the vehicle parts to create our own... I think you could do all that now with the Mega Construx line.

That's the simplest answer I can come up with at the moment, and I hope you find it explanatory enough to your MOTU dilemma.
                          I mean I'm fine with people making up their own head cannon, and I'm fine with customs as well. The original Filmation cartoon didn't have continuity, and sometimes contradicted itself. If I recall correctly clawful had several different character designs on the show.

But at some point mainstream consumers decided a show wasn't worth watching if it didn't have continuity, and I'm not saying a show shouldn't be consistent or not contradict itself, I'm just saying it doesn't have to have some long story arc to be entertaining.

Every show that's come since has tried to fill in every nook and cranny of the lore and it no longer feels like an official creation, but it feels like a fan fiction. The quality is off to me. And like I said, I'm cool with customs, but Classics for example looked absolutely 100%

I think it's ok for a series to end and not be constantly rebooted, or extended. The Origins series is largely the same stuff we had as kids, just with better articulation. It pairs perfectly with the original Filmation cartoon, but instead of just airing the cartoon (which would be the cheapest option), they had to go and let Kevin Smith muck around with the continuity and then reboot it entirely.

But from their perspective, making an original IP is too hard, I guess.

There's nothing in the original Filmation cartoons that couldn't be aired on regular tv today and I think most kids would enjoy it.

Comment

On a side note, the LoP Merman's are now officially cheaper than the original Merman. I'm currently (according to https://www.actionfigure411.com/mast...rice-guide.php )11 basic figures away form having a full set, not including exclusives (and also considering the pre-orders I'm waiting on.) I'm hoping to get most of the exclusives at some point, but I'm not getting those weird shogun skeletors.

Comment

• Andy
                              Andy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I wasn't sure about the shogun warriors either but I guess there is a market for them. I thought the black and gold looked cool for what it was and it definitely ranks up there above cy-chop. Everything ranks above cy-chop in my opinion.

Can I ask what is your opinion of baby Skeletor and Mo-larr since they both have a toy and also exist in other media form?

Well I wasn't aware of Baby Skeletor until you mentioned it. I'm guessing you're talking about the Classic's line? I can't recall whether I became familiar with Mo-Larr because I saw it in the classics line and googled it or saw it on Robot Chicken first.

I mean, when I said the shogun skeletor's were "weird", I guess that might have been too strong. I don't have a problem with their existence, but they certainly don't belong in the Origins line, IMO. I'm also struggling with whether or not I should buy Sun man. I mean the guy was a knock off from another line, how does he fit into MOTU?

I don't really have a problem with extra MOTU merchandise, I guess, I just think they should be more careful what they decide is part of the main line. I guess the real question is, what do you consider canon? Is the Classics line canon to you?

The thing with MOTU, is it's really been given a sequel not too many people really cared for, (NA He-Man), a reboot (200x), an additional sequel (Revelations) and now another reboot (whatever the current kids show is called.) That doesn't include what happened with She-Ra and that's just the animated stuff. Then you have the comics which have largely been mini-series you could consider what-if scenarios, the children's books, the mini-comics that came with the figures, and the bios on the Classic's line.

There's not a whole lot in the way of consistency and no two series really fit together perfectly.

At the end of the day you gotta decide what works for you, just like I need to decide my intentions towards the Origins line. Do I want to spend a grand collecting all the exclusives? Because getting them at their original retail prices isn't going to happen at this point. I'm too late into buying. Do I need them for the line to be "complete" ? Do I care if my collection is "complete" ? So far I haven't opened anything although I have multiples of a few figures.

EDIT: And I guess I'm not sure how to reply to a comment. When I hit quote, it quoted me.

Comment

• Andy
                              Andy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Since I commented to your post. It's probably easiest to also comment from the original post as well using the three dots next to the like button. I hope that makes sense and you get used to it

• Andy
                              Andy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              My cannon is weird. I like the barbaric nature of the mini comics without Prince Adam because I was aware of billy batson/shazam similarity (and I know conan ripoff and whatnot/oxymoron) but I also read the coloring books which the earliest did tell stories without Adam and Skeletor trying to marry Teela.

Anyways I excepted the Prince Adam inclusion and orko eventually but then even that veers off somehat if you consider DC...who had him more of a flamboyant ladies man.

As far as the classics cannon. I can actually appreciate what Scott tried to do by incorporating every era into it just to sell more toys or at least mention someone's favorite along the way. I don't think I've read them much or even cared though. I saved the bios but only to sell them off later.

So I guess I consider canon what mainstream considers the most and it is the Filmation series probably because it's the most simplest.

I just wanna clear things up, Shogun Skeletors are just novelty items the same thing with Baby Skeletor, Giant vintage style figures, and whatnot. They are not part of Origins or Classics or Masterverse.
                            Even Mo-Larr the dentist set, was just a novelty exclusive item that wasn't really part of the canon, it meant to be a fun joke by Neitlich.

I think you guys are mixing things up and stressing out about it for no reason!

Comment

I just wanna clear things up, Shogun Skeletors are just novelty items the same thing with Baby Skeletor, Giant vintage style figures, and whatnot. They are not part of Origins or Classics or Masterverse.
                              Even Mo-Larr the dentist set, was just a novelty exclusive item that wasn't really part of the canon, it meant to be a fun joke by Neitlich.

I think you guys are mixing things up and stressing out about it for no reason!
                              Meh, I mean they're released with the classic logo. Shogun I only mention because actionfigure411 classified them as part of the line.

Either way, I'm way too old to stress about things I don't have any control over. It's why I avoid politics.

Comment

• Mechanizor
                                Mechanizor commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I believe actionfigure411 is wrong about the Shogun units being part of the Origins line. From what I know, Shogun Skeletor/s are part of the Mattel Creations' Shogun Masters line.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X