End of Motu Origins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of Motu Origins?

A lot of people are speculating about the end of MOTUO in the internet these days. I would like to know member's opinions about this: Pure conspiracy? The end is really near? Tell me.

I don't go digging for rumors or the latest hot topic. I don't go combing through message boards. I don't need to know that. So I miss out on all the hot gossip. That is fine with me. I don't need or want that.

So my view will be a bit skewed. Nekkid Stratos/buzz off/sorceress/Jitsu just popped up in my neighborhood. Nothing is on sale, discount or clearance. So I think things are going to be around a bit longer.

Figures from the other show aren't wide spread. Maybe it will be shortly. So who knows about that line.

Same with that Masterverse line.

Comment

I don't see the excellent MOTU Origins line ending anytime soon. It definitely appears to be selling relatively well, though there are a plethora of original He-man & original Skeletor figures on shelves - which isn't surprising at all. The other figures seem to either be selling out, or selling well enough that I don't see many of them on shelves. And, the online prices on many of the figures that are HTF (i.e., most of them) are crazy. I.e., if not many people wanted these toys they wouldn't be so overpriced online.

There are obviously a lot of fans/collectors of the franchise out there. Those of us who grew up on the toys (like me) and want to relive some of their youth are obviously collecting these. And, there is a whole new generation of kids whose parents liked the toys - that are also getting into MOTU.

Comment

Originally posted by Siegfried View Post
        A lot of people are speculating about the end of MOTUO in the internet these days. I would like to know member's opinions about this: Pure conspiracy? The end is really near? Tell me.
        Well, a lot of the toys and collectables in general are currently being delayed due to shipping, pricing and manufacturing factors, and people like that idiot (who also claims to be the toy expert and a huge MOTU fan) S. Neitlich keeps enticing the beginning of the end with his dumb videos spreading more BS about MOTU specifically Origins, stuff like that adds to the culminating fear about the line's death.
        Yes there are a lot of repaints and re-usage of parts in Origins at this time, but that's probably because Mattel has already invested in the other concurrent Netflix MOTU lines as well. Any simple "toy expert" should be ale to emphasize such a probability in his /her arguments, but people like that idiot won't gain that many YT views if his arguments aren't controversial enough!

I'm not saying Origins will beat all the current odds and thrive, but I think it's a bit too early to speculate how things will be before next spring and the new Chinese new year.

Comment

The ex brand manager put out a video on this recently. He makes some points about redecco and whatnot but I think the problem still boils down to distribution. I see some origins on clearance like the evil 2-pack but I still see skus on the pegs. The only thing he said that has me worried is the toys showing up in abundance at the Mattel store.
          “Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.” ~Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Mechanizor
            Mechanizor commented
            Editing a comment
            "Twinkletwat"
            Dude, you're killing me! LOL... But yeah, he described himself more than one occasion as a toymaker!

I wonder how things will be with Origins once it starts getting listed on Mattel Creations next year, at least that was their plan!

• Mathius
            Mathius commented
            Editing a comment
            That $150 Orko necklace doesn't count as a great Mattel Creations idea? /s I'm sure women will be rushing to purchase.

• Andy
            Andy commented
            Editing a comment
            I hear you Mathius, I laughed at that pricetag too. He's cute an all but dayum $150..he ain't that cute or charming. At least it's cooler than the madsaki project they had

I hope not, but I can't say they're marketing this line well, IMHO.

You've got troop builders (horde troopers and eternian soldiers) being marketed as exclusives when they should be available on the shelves for troop building and they still seem to be producing and distributing the original long hair/open mouth he-man/skeletor figures which are just warming the shelves everywhere while you can't find the other figures (the non he-man/skeletor figures, OR the old sculpt he-man/skeletor).

I've definitely had one order canceled from EE citing that Mattel notified them they wouldn't be receiving anymore and I've had 2 She-Ra's on order through Amazon since early November that still say "Order Received."

It also doesn't bode well that I've seen reports of He-Man and Skeletor marked down as low as $4.90 or some such, the Eternian Guard showing up at close-out stores like Big Lots and Amazon has just about marked Battle Cat and Panthor in half since their original retail price as well as recently marking down the Wind Raider and Land Shark in a sale. Modern retail doesn't typically have sales unless something's getting clearanced out, they usually offer a substandard brand for cheaper, which isn't available for toys.

These appear to be marketed towards collectors AND children, but I haven't heard anything about the Filmation episodes being rebroadcast anywhere, and they've got several competing lines out as well... construx, revelations, the CGI cartoon, the minis... etc.

Comment

• Andy
            Andy commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't see that fourth paragraph until just now. Those are some serious sales and I hope some real fans got lucky.

Its almost like Mattel said let the nostalgia sell it and who cares what smart marketing is.

Anyways, the other site keeps mentioning deep discountdvd and they accept paypal so you almost have a safety guarantee unless cancelled of course.

Anyone wanting to pre-order some horde troopers...here you go

https://www.deepdiscount.com/mattel-...u/194735030712

ETA: For my foreign friends

https://www.poweractiontoys.shop/pro...verse-origins/
            Last edited by Andy; 12-30-2021, 12:10 AM.

• Mathius
            Mathius commented
            Editing a comment
            People are quite obviously buying the line. It's selling. The secondary market alone is proof of that. The problem is that they seem to be over producing certain items (like the open mouth Skeletor and long hair He-Man) while only running the other figures in waves. If they re-ran Waves 1-5, people would buy them. And you would think that would be cheaper than coming up with modified paint schemes and tooling for new Waves.

But it feels like Mattel is incapable of marketing anything besides Barbie. They don't understand He-Man. They keep rebooting him, pushing him out there until the market bursts and then reboot it again.

I apologize if I'm repeating something I've said before, but it feels like He-Man always suffers from something I refer to as Batman syndrome. It reminds me of the old Batman toyline where you'd walk into the store and the pegs would be full of different types of batman variants, and nothing else.

The thing is, girls will generally buy more than one barbie doll because the outfits and makeup are different and Mattel doesn't sell a lot of separate Barbie outfits or market them well. I don't have female children and I'm not a girl and don't claim to be a Barbie expert, but I know that when you walk down what we used to call "the pink aisle" you saw boxes. Not the little pegs that outfits came in.

Boys don't play with He-Man that way. Yeah, we'll play with the variants if you get them for us, but by and large, most boys are going to pick one He-man they like the best and that is their play time figure. They want the rest of the set to go with it.

Particularly since He-man has forever been based around a cartoon, whereas Barbie is just a doll with very little mythology, and boys want to be able to emulate what they saw in the cartoon (to an extent.)

It's actually pretty telling that I watched "Power of Grayskull" for the first time today, and Mark Taylor actually left Mattel because he feared the Mattel executives were starting to treat He-Man like Barbie.

• Mathius
            Mathius commented
            Editing a comment
            Also, as an aside but certainly relevant to the MOTU tooling, I have yet to see the WWE Masters of the Universe in a store, I think I heard they're pre-ordering for Wave 8 of that, but I have no idea where to buy it outside of the internet, which again says something about Mattel's marketing.

I don't expect Origins to end any time soon.
          “We change people through conversation, not through censorship." ― Jay Z

Comment

Seems to be an influx of the deluxe figures, which is a good thing, but also decidedly odd. The mosquitor figures that I had cancelled from EE are now available at Target, along with Ram-Man, Clamp Champ, Hordak (Buzz Saw), and the Battle Armor Skeletor and He-Man, and Wave... 6 I think? The LOP Beast Man, Green Goddess, Stinkor, Webstor, wave is readily hanging on shelves finally.

It's nice to see some product.

Reddit is reporting that the WWE MotU line is ending, but the new Super Star line is going to be using Origins molds, which is promising if true.

Comment

• Mechanizor
              Mechanizor commented
              Editing a comment
              A while back we've reported here that the WWE wave 8 was the last one, and that was in July of last year! and Superstars line is the replacement!
              https://forum.hemanworld.com/forum/m...ars-first-look
              I wonder why Reddit got this info so late?!

• Mathius
              Mathius commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the link. I have no idea. Nor did I know these are Wal-Mart exclusives. That makes it even more puzzling that they put so much money into tooling on these figures. Some of the accessories and parts haven't been used at all in the MOTU line yet. Also, off topic, the knee joints are SO weird on the female figures.

Two people on reddit claim to have found Fakers at their local Target. They didn't post a receipt or anything for proof, so I have no idea if this is true or not. It could be an odd shipment that got delayed and located as well, but it would be great if there was evidence they were shipping the earlier waves again like they seem to be doing with the deluxe figures. Unfortunately, I have all the Misquitors and Clamp Champs I need.

Comment

So to add to the stew, the Wave 7 figures are popping up fairly regularly now by me at my most reliable Target. I've successfully bought an extra Buzz off, Sorceress, 2 Jitsus's and more Naked Stratos than I wanted, really, but I thought I might eventually find use for the body for customs.

I also had EE finally get my pre-order filled for Wave 7, and my Eternian Guard 2 packs.

However, my 2 She-ra's I ordered back in Nov, were cancelled by Amazon today, which is very disappointing. If they let me place the order, they should have honored it even if they had to fill it from another seller. Replacing them at secondary market prices would/will be expensive.

Comment

• Mechanizor
                Mechanizor commented
                Editing a comment
                Congrats on getting some of the figures in hand... I just got my 2 Flying Fists He-Man figures today from Mattel Creations (of all places!), and I ended up cancelling my BBTS's pre-order on that particular figure!
                I'm still waiting on Buzz-Off and comic Stratos to be fulfilled by Amazon (crossing fingers), but I already got the sorceress and Jitsu from them not long ago!
                I'm just way too lazy to go to Target, but then again I'm extremely on a tight budget these days until things get better financially!

As for She-Ra, I'd say either you get her via the secondary market, or wait for Mattel to repackage her again at one point if they're planning to introduce more POP into Origins. BTW, If you're an Amazon Prime member, call them up and complain, they might end-up offering you some credit that you could use for future purchases!...

• Mathius
                Mathius commented
                Editing a comment
                I am a Prime member, so I'll consider that. Might as well use the service I'm paying for. I've also got BBTS FF He-Man and TC Skelly on preorder, but I only ordered 1 of each as I have no plans to open them.

I enjoy the FF He-Man design, but not the gimmick, and the opposite with Skeletor. I like the Terror Claws, but I hate the weird top he has that shows off his mid drift for some reason. I assume at some point someone will offer a 3D printed set of Terror Claws that I can get cheaper than buying a bunch of them just for the claws.

I absolutely cannot stand Wal-Mart. I've set foot in there only 2-4 times in the last 15 years, so I miss out on a lot of MOTU by not going there. I'm close to 2 different Targets, so I regularly stop in there, but honestly the last 2 Waves have been pretty meh to me and I don't need any extra Striders, Rise of Evils, or the Battle Warrior set or whatever it's called with He-Man/Battlecat. I picked up an extra Panthor when they were on sale last week for $14, but my Targets haven't put them on clearance at all.

I'd like to grab one more Sorceress at least, and another Buzz Off, and I'm good until the Sun Man wave (I preordered 2 off Amazon). I'm not thrilled with Anti-Eternia He-Man or the Horde Trooper (the damage gimmick always bothered me as a kid as it was always falling apart during play), and I honestly had to think for a minute to even remember Clawful was part of it. (I do enjoy Clawful, but he's not necessarily a favorite.) I don't mind Sun Man, but I don't like that they're adding the entire line. His tag line as "The Greatest Hero of Them All" definitely conflicts with He-Man in general.

At this point if Whiplash does come out in the next Wave that would be great, but I'd really like to see Kobra Kahn. Overall though, I think I'd spend more money if they re-ran the earlier waves than for any newer figures coming out. It'd be great to see some more PoP figures though, but the minute they start looking like that Dreamworks show, I'm out.

I'd rather just enjoy it as it's going and not worry about what's going to happen to it. Even if it ends at mass retail, it may still have a second life through online sellers, like how Super7 continued the Classics line for a while.

Comment

Social media leaked this info of new figures.

Mighty Spector in Origins? a Mattel irony?​​​​​​​

Click image for larger version

Name:	277554454_3160066194276436_6779192743772211385_n.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	57988

Comment

• Mechanizor
                  Mechanizor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for sharing...
                  Kobra Khan was expected.
                  Gwildor; intersting to see him this early!
                  Spector; WTF!???... I hope they redesign him completely and git rid of that stupid TM "The Mighty Spector" just to piss Neitlich off!... He might be the first Origins figure to pass on if they kept his basic lame design intact from the Classics!

Originally posted by Siegfried View Post
                Social media leaked this info of new figures.

Mighty Spector in Origins? a Mattel irony?​​​​​​​

Name:	277554454_3160066194276436_6779192743772211385_n.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	57988
                First off, look at today's date and look up holidays on April 1.

Second, We saw "leaked" news before about a Frosta figure and correct me if I'm wrong all the recent release photos from Mattel (that were posted in the news of this website) did not include pics of Frosta.

Comment

• Mathius
                  Mathius commented
                  Editing a comment
                  These are two of the most polarizing figures in the history of MOTU, so I can't see why they would go that route with so many better options.

• Mechanizor
                  Mechanizor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  True... Especially Spector; was the most hated character in the Classics line besides Blundor and whatnot! Also, many think that Neitlich left Mattel on bad terms, so why pay tribute to him?
                  I could see them probably as a limited Power-Con/Matle Creations exclusive set or something, but then again why spend that tooling money on something like this pack!

• Mathius
                  Mathius commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't have an answer to that. I'm kinda surprised at the tooling they've spent on WWE figures (god I'm old, it still feels weird to say WWE, not WWF) that they haven't used in Origins. Like why not use the Ram Man armor from Goldberg (I think that's right?) and make a different Ram Man variant, etc.?

I ended up buying several Becky Lynch and a Stephanie McMahon figure to do some customs hopefully and flesh out the female characters for my buddy's daughter who says Hordak is a "boy's guy."

Originally posted by Mathius View Post

First off, look at today's date and look up holidays on April 1.

Second, We saw "leaked" news before about a Frosta figure and correct me if I'm wrong all the recent release photos from Mattel (that were posted in the news of this website) did not include pics of Frosta.
                No, these list was revealed yesterday in social media, and MV figures was leaked early last month, check below

Name:	275506621_543848536911614_1729625840716431791_n.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	57992

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X