X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mathius
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1a2caflmuru81.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=f30e2320ecf69f64bbead8ef504031939c4bf9f5.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	58024

King Randor from reddit.com (no idea the original source)

Leave a comment:

• Mathius
    commented on 's reply
    Reddit had a teaser of King Randor, which looked to me as identical to the 80's version. If it wasn't for the elbow joints I couldn't have told if it was different or not. Which I guess is the point?

I'm not really sure how I feel about this line going forward. They're moving into Sun Man territory now and 200x variants, and I only want the vintage stuff. I was glad to see them apparently re-releasing the She-Ra Wave, but I'd really rather see more PoP than this other stuff. Anything Filmation really.

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    The Toy Habits guys talk about it in this video: link

• Mechanizor
    replied
    Whiplash teaser image:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1650455356515.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	58019

Leave a comment:

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    Either one would be awesome. But I think the Point Dread/Talon Fighter set is more recognizable at least by the fans world wide.

• Mathius
    commented on 's reply
    The collector would be amazing. Or you'd think Point Dread would be an obvious one after releasing the "goddess" and Castle Grayskull.

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    Whiplash BTW is happening according to a leaked merchant list, but he might get pushed back a little just like that minicomic Trap-Jaw. Sometimes manufacturing errors in the mold or in the engineering department or in the materials push back products until they're resolved. There are also other managerial factors that could change the direction of any release.

But I hear you, I was very disappointed yesterday about not revealing any type pf playset, or even a repainted vehicle or a mechanical beast (Evil Wind Raider, Night Stalker)... But I'm not losing hope just yet. Patience is a virtue after all.

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    So you see the Snake Men as a curse jinxing the MOTU brand! Fair enough... LOL

Different opinions are good the way I see it, so long as we all respect each others' of course. At the end of the day, each one of us has his/her own unique experience with everything we deal with in life, collecting toys isn't any different.

• Mathius
    commented on 's reply
    I can't speak for the walmart stuff, but the Target exclusives seem pretty much shelf warmers at this point.

There's been a lot of good announcements (Grizzlor, Snout Spout, Leech, Mantenna, Kobra Kahn if true), but a lot of stuff I could care less about (200x, Snake Men). I still haven't seen a confirmed Whiplash after that rumor circulated.

I could take it or leave it on the Ripper/Mekanek. I had the Ripper as a kid. The ripcord feature was ok, but the vehicle just seemed very narrow and long and didn't appeal to me that much. I would have much preferred an attack trak, battle ram, or even the wind raider repaint we saw in the box art.

It's a shame they haven't made much effort on bringing out a vehicle that holds multiple figures. Like a cartoon mold of the Attack Trak. Seems like they're still producing Castle Grayskull as well, with no announcement of Snake Mountain or at the very least the Fright Zone.

I always looked at Mekanek as a core figure, but upon re-watching the Filmation cartoon he wasn't in that many episodes. The 200x series made fun of him in at least 2 episodes, although the second one tried to redeem him a bit. Still, I'm kinda on the fence about him. His design was never that appealing. If the head doesn't extend and does have a replaceable head, I'll definitely be disappointed. I don't _need_ the waist turn mechanic. I think some kind of thumb lever on the back would give him better poseability.

I really intended to try and get every piece in the line, but I've probably got close to a grand invested in getting the figures I have so far and I've really slowed down on my purchasing. I don't even have horde trooper, clawful, or anti he-man preordered.

• Mathius
    commented on 's reply
    I mean, like you said, we each have our opinions, but the Snake Men were at the tail end of the original 1980s figures and didn't save the line, and again in 200x they devoted almost a whole season of the cartoon to it (or at least it felt like it) and a whole figure line to them and that was the end of that one as well.

I didn't follow Classics closely because of the bs with the line that you pretty much sumarized in your own post.

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    If it happens as a two pack, I hope it won't be an exclusive to Walmart or Target... Exclusives automatically mean scalpers at work and hard to find for a while!
    That said I welcome all vehicles, beasts and playsets/environments, that what really makes MOTU a proper toy line IMO. Figures alone don't cut it for me.

• man-e-faces
    replied
    Incredible news! I recently saw this on the MOTU Redditt site as well. Really pumped for both the Origins Road Ripper & Mekanek. This is one of my favorite Vintage figures & one of my top-five Vintage vehicles. Really looking forward to both of these. If this news is accurate, it looks like it'll come as a set, which will be even better - since we won't need to search for the figure & vehicle separately. Also, the higher cost of this set may make it easier for collectors to get this, since non-collectors/casual fans may not want to shell out the $ for both the figure & the vehicle - unless they really want both. That all being said, I suspect this will be an exclusive and therefore extremely HTF.

I've speculated on a possible Origins Mekanek in the past. I wonder if this figure will have the same feature the Vintage one did - i.e., when you turned the Vintage figure's waist, the mechanical neck went up - but the head/neck were also attached to the figure itself. If they don't go this route, the other possibility is that the figure may come with two removable heads - one with the mechanical neck attached so you can just put it on the figure that way, and another head without the mechanical neck. We'll see.

Hopefully the Origins Road Ripper will have the same cool Vintage feature of being able to 'rev' up with the plastic ripcord - which resulted in the toy racing across the floor. This really brings back memories. I always wondered how long the functionality of this feature lasted, but since I never had the toy for that long back in the day - I never knew. That being said, I've read online that some collectors/fans still have the Vintage RR, and it still works. I suspect the functionality may have to do with how much the toy is used/played with.

Hopefully official pics. will be released in the near future. Looking forward to seeing them.

Leave a comment:

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    Well, that doesn't mean it was a "death knell" for the franchise as you've stated, maybe the execution on some of the figures were below standards like King Hisss's transformation, but the idea was still intact; each SM figure was unique in "powers" and features. It was a faction like any other faction in the line for kids to collect or pass on!

In all honesty, your opinion (or mine) on Classic doesn't really reflect on how the line was received by the online collectors. I loved most of what the Four Horsemen did with 200X and Classics, but how the lines were handled by Mattel and "Neitlch" was kinda pitiful to say the least. I honestly hated myself collecting that line because it was painful for about a decade, and still it wasn't even complete (lack of vehicles, playsets, NA etc).
    200X was a lot worse where many of us gave up on it even before Mattel pulled the plug!... I really hope Origins doesn't meet similar fate of either line.

The bottom line is, collect whatever appeals to you from Origins, and dismiss the things you don't like. Don't be swayed by opinions or trends, or gollop everything thrown at you by the company unless you see value in it!

• Mathius
    commented on 's reply
    I don't have a problem with Reptiles being part of MOTU. I really enjoyed my Whiplash and Kobra Kahn figures as a child and I'm waiting for both of them in the Origins line. The problem is devoting a whole line to one race of characters when up to that point we saw a comic book cast of characters that were mostly unique from each other.

I don't respect much of anything involved with the Classics line, except that most of the figures _looked_ good.

• Mechanizor
    replied
    Another leak/rumor; stating that Mechaneck/Road Ripper two pack is coming into Origins:

Leave a comment:

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    I respectfully disagree.
    Reptilians are part of human's mythology for thousands of years, and it's only natural to have them making an appearance in most fantasy or sci-fi based stories and toy lines...
    I thought the Snake-Men in general are among the most popular figures in MOTU! At least they were very popular in the MOTU Classics era, and have had some of the best design transitions in the line!

• Mathius
    commented on 's reply
    I cannot say I'm excited about that one. Snake Men are the death knell of this franchise. Not that they don't individually have some interesting ideas, but making them all commonly snake themed is a departure from everything that makes MOTU interesting.

• Mechanizor
    replied
    According to leaked sources the Snakemen are coming to Origins in 2023? No images yet, but here's a Toy Habits video talking about it:

Leave a comment:

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    Yep, the stactions were amazing but weren't easily obtained (And I sadly missed out on them), but they're still a true part of the 200X line.

The 200X vehicles could find their way into the line eventually if the other vintage ones sell well by Mattel's standards.

• man-e-faces
    commented on 's reply
    Agree completely that it would be great for most of the overall fantastic 200X sculpts to be re-made as figures in either the Origins or Masterverse lines; among these, I also count the "Staction" statue sculpts - which were a de-facto 'sequel' to the 200X line, but never actually came out as action figures. Though I tried to collect these when they were originally out in the 2002/2003 time-frame, I never found many of them. And, they're very expensive on the secondary market now. So, for those of us who couldn't get these the first time around and/or for newer collectors, it would be fantastic to see these 200X designs resurrected in these new line(s).

I'd also like to get many of the 200X vehicles re-made in this line, but only after the main Vintage '80's vehicles are re-done

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    I truly hope so...
    I'm just dreaming now to see all the major 200X designs will make an appearance in this line. New head molds, accessories and armors with extra attachments might be the way without investing in new bucks. Maybe a few limbs here and there for certain character like Trap-Jaw and such, but that's all to it.
    Of course the 200X vehicles might be the only major exception, but I doubt that it'll happen!

• Black Zodac
    replied
    All of these Origins reveals are great. I do wish they gave Skeletor his 200x staff, and I wonder if the staff we see in this picture is just a placeholder for now.

Leave a comment:

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    I believe Snout Spout has that squirting play feature looking at that tank pic. I think him and Leech are deluxe figures.

More to come in the next two day from what people are saying, and these reveals look a bit premium with all the new tooling and stuff! :-)

• man-e-faces
    replied
    Yes - these new Origins reveals are incredible! Really looking forward to all of them. WOW!!!!

Like that the Mantenna has the 4 individual separate legs - unlike the Vintage version, where the legs were one solid piece. The 4 legs make the figure look even more bizarre & grotesque - which is the whole point. Back in the day I didn't even realize that Mantenna was supposed to have more than two legs due to the inferiority of the original sculpt.

Leech looks amazing as well, and an obvious improvement on the original.

Snout Spout is fantastic - I hope it still has the feature that allows you to squirt water out of the snout

Grizzlor is nice - the fur definitely looks better than the vintage version.

The new Skeletor (inspired by the 200X version) looks good as well.

And the Roton - yes!!!!!! Wanted one of these ever since the Origins line started. This looks superb. Definitely one of my favorite vehicles in the Vintage line. I like that the 'action feature' is non-electronic. Nice!

Leave a comment:

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    Leech has two heads just incase you've missed it!... As for the 200X Skeletor, probably they've wanted to keep him within the Origins style as much as possible. The staff however looks lazy!

I believe Nightsalker will show up at one point because it's basically a repaint of Stridor. The same goes for Screeech (for beasts/animals). And I really hope another vehicle and another playset will get revealed soon as well! (fingers crossed)...

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X