Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mathius
    replied
    There's a guy on Reddit already showing off his Wave 9 figures and I haven't even seen Wave 8 yet. <sigh>

Leave a comment:

• Mathius
    replied
    Koldar release has just been posted to Mattel Creations, limit 5 per customer although you can't order quite yet. Supposedly 5-27 @ 11am central time, according to Reddit. Also rumored is that Wun-Dar is a confirmed MC upcoming release.

I'm not going to post all the pics, but you can see them here: https://creations.mattel.com/collect...n-figure-hdy26

Click image for larger version

Name:	Koldar3.jpg?v=1653495490.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	58092

Name:	Koldar5.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	58093

So... I'm pretty happy with the overall figure/armor mold, but I really wish they'd have put more detail, or at least two-toned the armor. The texture is pretty disappointing.

Leave a comment:

• Mathius
    commented on 's reply
    Again, relating to RotS, I hate to keep sourcing things from reddit, but right now someone posted a scan from the entire issue of the Rulers of the Sun Comic. I can link to it or start a thread if anyone's interested.

I only read the first part of the comic (unfortunately the art is very poor and the colors are extremely light), but it appears as though "Sun Man" is actually "Prince Sunni" and doesn't appear to have any actual powers, but instead gets them from his wings (flight), chest piece (harnesses energy from the sun), sword (light beam), boots ("Telescopic Stars" that allow him to "see through buildings"), gauntlets ("Laser Diamonds" to cut his way out of a trap), and shield (to block "Evil Magic From Pig-Head").

• Mathius
    commented on 's reply
    I was excited about these, but both of my targets are just filled with pegs of Mosquitor, Clamp Champ, and Naked Stratos. I see people posting images on reddit of their horde trooper armies and flying fists he-man's and I still don't have them available in my area, nor have I received any information on my pre-orders.

• Mechanizor
    replied
    Deluxe Snout Spout and Leech carded (A little blurry for now):

Name:	1652901803533.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	58080

Name:	1652901741535.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	58079

Leave a comment:

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    Well from my understanding it's a liquid PVC type of chemical that bonds to the plastic and it's toxic to handle outside the manufacturing process and that's why it isn't available via the regular market, and I don't know what's the exact compound called!

Probably you can find more about it if you just dig a little deeper online or contact someone who deals with this stuff directly....

• Mathius
    commented on 's reply
    I've certainly tried googling over the years. The most information you get is from autobody sites, but they don't exactly specialize in plastic. I suppose I might have more luck with duckduckgo or such. I've tried on several occasions over the years to drop google because it's terrible, but unfortunately, the other search engines have always been worse.

I've found some interesting information on youtube regarding masking processes, but nothing so far about hardeners.

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    Are you trying to find out about the paint process or the chemicals "hardeners" used in the painting applications?
    A google search might be the quickest way to get your answers... Or if you know someone who works in the manufacturing industry, or a get a hold of a material/paint engineer.
    Your average and casual toy customizers probably won't know or care for such details.

• Mathius
    commented on 's reply
    I can't confirm that bit about the zx radio station. It could just be an urban legend. It's amazing to me how much information is lost or can't be confirmed such as my previous mentioned Sun Man origins.

It's also weird to me the things that don't get answered. For example, for years I've watched customizers try to hone their painting craft, but myself personally, I've always been interested in not necessarily making a custom look realistic, but make it look like it was manufactured.

I've watched the custom scene progress from very crude to people actually being pretty proficient with resin pouring and now 3d Printing. But, the one thing that's baffled me for decades is that when you ask about the paint process manufacturers use to make their paints stick so well, you hear everyone almost universally agree they use hardeners in their paint, but when you try to find information about said hardeners nobody has a clue, and nobody seems to be making an effort to find out. Instead they just rely on matte clear coats and decide that's good enough.

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. Yeah, I've heard about that type of online connection via dial-ups back in the day without having the internet service when I was a kid, but I didn't know it was part of what became the "internet" we know today...
    When I got to learn some of early BASIC coding in junior high school, the computers back then where able to connect to one another via local servers and such! Anyhow thanks for the little history.

I remember my first searches when I got my first "dialup internet service" were LEGO and MOTU communities, so I know how primitive those communities were, and it was fun (and toxic) to read and interact with some of those people, little I knew geeks were some of the most toxic people online ever! LOL

• Mathius
    commented on 's reply
    That's the point. You didn't need an "internet service." You had a dial up modem and you literally just dialed a number. Usenet (maybe you've heard of newsgroups?) was a Unix based system that according to the wiki was established in '79. By '80 they went live. Even in the early days of the internet I remember it was one of my only sources for toy news.

The online community was so much smaller back then. I remember getting into a small argument on a GI Joe newsgroup and questioned Corey Stinson's sources, and the bastard happened to be the owner of Smalljoes.com so he got petty and banned me from his store. (this was the mid 90's by that point, when GI Joe wasn't being made in stores, but before the '98 relaunch) Of course security was appalling back then so I just used a different e-mail address. He never checked my physical address.

All those old school text based games like Zork that people are talking about? Those became the basis for the earliest internet based video games, called MUDS. I spent years playing, writing, and even doing a small amount of coding on MUDS. They were a lot of fun before graphics online was a thing. I used to play AberMUDS mainly, and that was established in....'87 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AberMUD) The first actual mud, the first internet role playing game in fact, came online in 1980 on a british system. The original MUD.

By the time Doom came out in '93 we were playing full on 3D deathmatches, so yeah, text based stuff was around WAY before '96, and you could totally get "online" in the 80's.

Oh, and btw, my first PC was a 9mhz, but my first computer was a Texas Instrument you hooked up to your television and the software was written on cartridges AND cassette. That was around '82-'84 'ish and I had to have my dad hook it up because I was too young.

There was also an 8 bit system we never had called a zx spectrum that came out in '82. It wasn't capable of dial-up computer to computer connections, but it also ran on cassettes, and there were rumors of a radio station that if you recorded the station and then popped the cassette into your zx, then you got free software that functioned. In a way, that was like internet.

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    I thought the first public internet was serviced back in 91... The mid 90's (94-97) was the time where it started to pickup and it crashed because the dial-ups couldn't handle the bandwidth of those sites and the animated and pop ads that drastically slowed down the cyber experience for most, not until DSL and Cable's speed started to fix things up a little.
    That said, I'm not an expert in that subject...

BTW, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful by any means, however I see your post about certain MOTU lines/media filled with rants here and there with some discrepancies. Sometimes they're a little negative and sometimes they are entertaining... That's all. ;-)

• Mathius
    commented on 's reply
    I'm not sure what you're referencing by calling my perspectives convoluted, but yes, in the late 80's you could use a dial up modem and connect to other computers. They even made a famous movie about it? War Games?

People like to believe the internet started in 1996 because of http, but prior to that you could very much dial up to a bbs, or even your local library in my city, which gave me access to universities all over the country, and eventually you could connect to the www for free through said universities.

In fact, when ESPN's website first started, "ESPN's Sportszone", if you didn't have an expensive setup and were using a terminal program like I was to get "online", they had a chat room and it worked a lot more like a forum than a modern chat room where you had to refresh it to see the replies.

If I remember correctly, my first PC was 9mhz and my first modem was a 1200 baud. Eventually we upgraded to a 9600, and then a 56k, and finally DSL. I don't even know what my current internet service is classified as, except I know it isn't fiber.

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    BTW, Pig-Head is also available as a single carded figure.

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    It's interesting to read some of your "convoluted" and strong perspectives from time to time Mathius! LOL

Wait, was the internet actually available to the public in the 80's?!!!
    All I know it was in its infancy form in the early 90's, and I got my first dialup connection around 1996 or 1997!

• Mathius
    replied
    The more I see RoS stuff, the more disappointed I am. That first guy looks like he's wearing half a t-shirt and the other guy looks like he has a t-shirt on his head. And seriously, "Pig Head" ? And people made fun of MOTU names/designs?

I also keep hearing people trying to push the idea that these figures are nostalgic. I NEVER saw these things as a kid. There were the other MOTU KO's, like Galaxy Warriors or whatever, but I don't remember seeing, or hearing anything about these.

I believe the "nostalgia" is totally made up and being pushed by people who were never alive in the 80's. If that's when this line was actually created. We could get "online" in the 80's, but you couldn't just get on the www and search for information or keep apprised of what was going on in the rest of the country. Even now, with web pages even dedicated to the creator, there's very little information about this line (https://www.blackenterprise.com/meet...-up-by-mattel/). I can't even find out when it was created, or where it was actually sold.

Supposedly, the mother created them because her 3 year old sun said he couldn't be a super hero because he was black. That's an awful feeling to have, and I have zero problems with the creation of the line, but it obviously wasn't popular enough to stand on its own and it's terribly un-creative. I'm not surprised it was created by someone's mom. Adding it to MOTU is something I'm struggling with. Like I said before, even the tagline doesn't make sense.

While we're on the subject of MOTU disappointments, one of my two targets still has the same 5 Naked Stratos on the peg taking up space, and I've yet to see Horde Trooper, Sun Man, etc. in stores. The other one is just getting the Naked Stratos wave, and I feel like it won't be long before it's warming the shelves there as well. They still had one green goddess, but I think I already have 4 of her.

Leave a comment:

• Mechanizor
    replied
    Rulers of the Sun 3-pack?... Basically this Toy Habits video talks about the remaining revealed figures from ROS might come in a 3-Pack:

Leave a comment:

• Mathius
    replied
    Several times during my life I've tossed around the idea of chasing down the model kits, but never forked over the money and they get more and more pricey. I really like that they included this adaptation to the Roton, but I have to say the new headpiece looks goofy on its own in the box, like someone left their false teeth in there.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whiplash. The original had a rubber like tail moulded onto the figure. I will have to see how this "snapable" one functions, but I doubt it will be as sturdy.

Leave a comment:

• Mechanizor
    replied
    Originally posted by man-e-faces View Post
    Excellent more detailed pics. of these figures. The Mantenna is a must-have; nice more detailed view of the individual four legs. Grotesque - in a good way

The new Roton is fantastic; I didn't know the 'extra' elements on here were based on an '80's Roton model kit - nice homage. I never even knew a model of this toy existed, and I was a fan of MOTU back in the day. That being said, I've never been a fan of models because of their fragility (even the snap-together versions).

Whiplash is amazing; fantastic improvement from the original '80's version.
    My biggest wish still, is to see all the major figures get a 200X interpritation stylistic job, plus all the vehicles, beasts and the playsets we can get!

By now, we should've gotten at least another playset and two more vehicles reveals!

Leave a comment:

• man-e-faces
    replied
    Excellent more detailed pics. of these figures. The Mantenna is a must-have; nice more detailed view of the individual four legs. Grotesque - in a good way

The new Roton is fantastic; I didn't know the 'extra' elements on here were based on an '80's Roton model kit - nice homage. I never even knew a model of this toy existed, and I was a fan of MOTU back in the day. That being said, I've never been a fan of models because of their fragility (even the snap-together versions).

Whiplash is amazing; fantastic improvement from the original '80's version.

Leave a comment:

• Mechanizor
    replied
    The Toy Habits YT channel talks about the new surfaced images in this video:

Leave a comment:

• Mechanizor
    replied
    And more images:

Name:	1650636755489.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	58034

Name:	1650649604088.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	58033

Name:	1650663582819.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	58032

Leave a comment:

• Mechanizor
    replied
    More images:

Leave a comment:

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    Oh, I thought you’ve missed the older post. No biggie… BTW, the source of that Reddit pic is from a Canadian site according to the YT channel Toy Habits.
    I still think a crowned King Randor in this line is puzzling without a palace or a carriage or a steed of some kind!

• Mathius
    commented on 's reply
    I know, I saw that, but this closeup pic was posted along with the image you showed of whiplash, so I just threw it up here. There was also the potential that there were changes from the earlier images shown that you had put in this thread, but I don't see any.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X