TOY MASTERS - A MOTU Documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOY MASTERS - A MOTU Documentary

Toy Masters will be screening in Chicago, IL on August 16 and August 20, 2014.

Click on the links for showtimes:

http://chicagofilmmakers.org/cf/cont...erse-nostalgia

http://chicagofilmmakers.org/cf/cont...se-nostalgia-0

Click image for larger version

Name:	poster.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	18799
    "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Finally a confirmed date. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• D.M.
      D.M. commented
      Editing a comment
      That's just screening, not a release date. (8[

• Captain Atkin
      Captain Atkin commented
      Editing a comment
      It is playing on two different days in Chicago at the same theatre. I wouldn't expect this to play in many theatres. It will probably get a limited release, and then be sold on Blu-Ray/DVD.

Have they released this on DVD yet or are there plans to do so? I'd like to get a copy for sure.

Comment

Hopefully this document's bluray or DVD will be region free.

Comment

It would be awesome to have on DVD or on iTunes to download.

Comment

Any news on the DVD release?

Comment

Now this is something I can't bash! I can't wait to see this!
          “Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
          Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

Did anyone go to the screening?

Any further news about a release - physical, digital - on this?

I'd like to give these dudes money
            “What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."― Salman Rushdie

Comment

I'm looking forward to watching this when it ever does get released.
              Any idea what's taking so long? Anyone get to talk to these guys when it was shown in Chicago back in August? Anyone here see it back then?

Comment

This is going to be a must see for me
                Heroic human battering ram, catapult, and space warp device.

https://battleram.wordpress.com/

Comment

I wonder what's taking so long to get this out to fans who will gladly pay money for something like this. I could see MOTU and 80s toy enthusiasts in general jumping on this.

Comment

Yes, I been wondering when this document comes out in DVD or Blu-Ray or in streaming service like Netflix. Hopefully soon.
                    Last edited by Jyrki; 12-25-2014, 06:43 PM.

Comment

By the time they finally release it, it'll be pretty obsolete. I mean, with P&H working with Dark Horse on those books - who would need this documentary? Especially when considering it's bound to have factual errors.
                      “A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Even then it will be interesting for some people.

Comment

So is there any news on this project?

I am not sure where I read or heard this, but I am understanding it's Roger Sweet and his lawyers holding the release of this up? And they have a 3hr version as well?
                          “What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."― Salman Rushdie

Comment

Man that would suck if Roger Sweet's lawyers are holding this up.

At this point, I'm expecting the only comment we'll get about this documentary's release is "Maybe in a movie year...."

Comment

Originally posted by _RZ_ View Post
                              So is there any news on this project?

I am not sure where I read or heard this, but I am understanding it's Roger Sweet and his lawyers holding the release of this up? And they have a 3hr version as well?
                              I hadn't heard that. I hope that isn't the case. I'd really like to see it.

Last edited by Battle Ram Man; 10-31-2015, 11:45 PM.
                              Heroic human battering ram, catapult, and space warp device.

https://battleram.wordpress.com/

Comment

• _RZ_
                                _RZ_ commented
                                Editing a comment
                                If I can find it again, I will...

but yeah I read that Sweet was not happy how he came off in the rough cut of the movie, and the filmmakers were saying he was trying to block the release, and that was what delayed it into 2014.

Has there been any more news on this film? I've been dying to see this film for almost 4 years now!
                              “We change people through conversation, not through censorship." ― Jay Z

Comment

Hey, guys. I'm the co-director. Here are some answers/responses to the above...

Roger Sweet's lawyers--if he even has them--have nothing at all to do with the movie not being out (nor did we ever suggest that was the case). Furthermore he has not seen the film, so he cannot approve or disapprove of what we've done. He HAS seen the trailer and asked to edit the movie with us. No person or entity is preventing this from being released. There is no reason the movie isn't out other than...it's just not out. We're a tiny team, and have been busy with other stuff. But it's currently being shopped to film fests, etc., to get some word of mouth going to help the sale. Based on what happens, we'll find a distributor and get it out--probably on DVD/Blu-ray and VOD. Hopefully by the end of the year.

No book release will render our movie obsolete. I mean...???

We DO have an extended cut (4 hours?), but it is very crude/rough and we don't know if it'll appear in that form on the home video version. We may chop it up and use it as featurettes. We also have hours of audio and video interviews. We'd love to include them, as well, but who knows what will happen. We'd like to do a PACKED home video release. But if that's not in the cards, maybe we'll self-release the bonus stuff (??)

If anyone has more questions, please direct them to the Facebook page. I'll be happy to answer stuff there. (search for Toy Masters). I'm rarely on these sites and just stumbled upon this.

Looking forward to having you all see the movie. We're very proud of it, and the few folks who have seen it have loved it. Maybe past Mattel employees included. Maybe even a recent, really prominent dude who no longer works there has seen it and raved about it. I don't know.

Thanks again!

Corey

Comment

• _RZ_
                                  _RZ_ commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Thanks for responding and clearing it all up, Corey. Glad to know your awesome plans haven't changed.

I think there are a lot of people (myself one) just waiting to pull the trigger on a VOD release.

• Battle Ram Man
                                  Battle Ram Man commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Thanks for clearing that up. I'm really looking forward to this one. The early days of development of MOTU are really fascinating to me.

• Captain Atkin
                                  Captain Atkin commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Thanks for posting Corey! I live in Toronto, and I would love to see this film get released here. The Cannon Films documentary played in Toronto a few weeks ago, and it had a great turn out. I could see this film attracting that same type of crowd.

Thank you so much for coming here and answering some questions and setting the record straight.

I hope everything went well at that screening in Chicago.

P.S. Just an FYI, no MOTU fan really cares what that "prominent dude who no longer works there" thinks, in fact it may actually turn some fans off that that guy "raved" about it (he does rave about Spector and Skeleteen after all). Just sayin'

Regardless, I wish you all the best & I'll gladly buy a copy once it's released.

Comment

Seems liked this Document in problem......from Toy Masters Facebook page: "It's become increasingly clear that our movie is not going to be able to be released officially--not because of lack of interest or offers, but because of internal, personal issues. The plan is to offer the movie for free in the near future. So, thanks for hanging in there, and apologies that there won't be a shiny Blu-Ray release. But our pain is your gain; you'll soon be able to stream our film for free. Stay tuned, and thanks again." Corey Landis

Comment

Was this ever finally offered to stream?

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                                      Captain Atkin commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      No, not yet. Things are being worled out right now behind the scenes. I think it will be made available sometime this year.

• _RZ_
                                      _RZ_ commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Thanks captain. It's a little sad as I really wanted to give these guys my money. I even tried to put a couple of friends (one an editor, one from a major distro company) in touch with these guys around 2015ish, but they never replied to them. After all this time- I think it's been 6 or 7 years now- it would be great to finally see it.

What's the latest you've heard, if anything Cap?

Comment

Anything new about this being released

Comment

• coreyleelandis
                                        coreyleelandis commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        The movie is finished and we are looking for the best way to release it at the moment. It will screen at Mad Monster Party in North Carolina this month.

They tweet at an average rate of once every four months or so and still imply it is coming out as of December.

I recommend the Netflix documentary, The Power of Grayskull.
                                      Not every beast is tender, especially if there is genius in his making.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X