Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mastering the Universe: A He-Man and She-Ra Celebration!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastering the Universe: A He-Man and She-Ra Celebration!

Presented by the American Cinematheque, Dammaged Goods and Hemanworld.com

Based on the popular Mattel toy line, Filmation’s “He-Man and the Masters of the Universe” was one of the most popular animated children’s shows of the 1980s. The fantasy-adventure revolves around Prince Adam, who is transformed into the muscular He-Man whenever he raises his magic sword and invokes the power of Grayskull, the mystical castle fortress of his planet Eternia. He-Man’s feline companion, Battle Cat, flying wizard Orko and evil nemesis Skeletor are among the colorful characters that made the original program a cult favorite, while spinoff “She-Ra: Princess of Power” (He-Man’s sister) gave girls an equally heroic role model.

Our celebration of the most powerful man in the universe kicks off at the Egyptian Theatre on Friday, September 18th with the live-action MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE, in which He-Man (Dolph Lundgren) faces off against Skeletor (Frank Langella). Dolph Lundgren, Anthony De Longis, director Gary Goddard and production designer William Stout appear in person for a post-screening Q&A. On Saturday, September 19th, The Egyptian Theatre is transformed into Eternia for a series of events beginning with a mini-convention of artists, collectors and vendors in the lobby. Along with classic moments from the TV series, the festivities include a rare screening of the theatrically released THE SECRET OF THE SWORD and wrap up with the West Coast premiere of TOY MASTERS, the recent documentary about the origins of “Masters of the Universe.” Filmation veterans Tom Sito, Larry DiTillio, Diane Pershing and Marc Scott Zicree, along with voice actors Alan Oppenheimer (Skeletor) and Melendy Britt (She-Ra), will be on hand for a discussion and to meet fans.

Series programmed by Grant Moninger and Duvien Ho. Program notes by John Hagelston.

Tickets are on sale now, going for the astoundingly low price of $11.00for Friday night and $15.00for all day Saturday. You have the power! And Good Journey!

"We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Wish I could go to this. Hollywood is a bit too far for me to travel, but that line up sounds awesome!
    “We change people through conversation, not through censorship." ― Jay Z

Comment

Very cool that hemanworld helped put this together!

Descent price for admission and the attraction is the event itself....nice!
      “Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.” ~Bertrand Russell

Comment

WOW, this is like a real Powercon - actually for fans.

In the future, please get the word out further in advance. This is something I could see myself attending in the future.
        “Anything is a dildo, if you're brave enough"
        Thomas Jefferson

Always looking to trade MOTUC to complete my collection.

Comment

Man I wish I could go to this, it sounds amazing
          Heroic human battering ram, catapult, and space warp device.

https://battleram.wordpress.com/

Comment

Now THIS is an event! Wow! An actual focus on programming and making it a worthwhile experience for participants rather than a shameless cash grab like Power-Con. Fantastic!
            "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

Honestly, I still don't know if I can make it this year, but most likely not from the looks of things, just way too many things are happening for me at the moment!... Whether I can make it or not, I wish you guys all the best, and hopefully it overshadows that con-artist's Con he calls Power-Con!

Salute... ower:

Comment

Robert Towers (Karg) and Chelsea Fields (Teela) have now confirmed that they will both be attending the screening

Comment

First night of He-Man & She-Ra was a smashing success, paying tribute to the Masters of the Universe 1987 movie! Thanks to everyone who came out, and all the cast and crew who attended. Mini-Con, 3 screenings, and 4 panels are going on today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_3054a.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	42907

Name:	image_3055a.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	42908

Name:	image_3056a.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	42909

Comment

• Mechanizor
                    Mechanizor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Now I'm a little bit jealous!... But great to know things went well on the first day of the this event!... We needs lots of pics Yo!

Damn I'd have loved to have gone to this, shame a little thing like the Atlantic and money stopped me,

Comment

This was a lot of fun. My wife even admitted she had a good time. Great meeting you, John!

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                      Captain Atkin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It was great meeting you too!

Photos from Mastering the Universe: A He-Man and She-Ra Celebration!​

All Photos by Jeremy Rafanan.

Comment

I really wish I'd been able to go. Any chance you got video of the Masters of Toy Design panel?
                      Heroic human battering ram, catapult, and space warp device.

https://battleram.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                        Captain Atkin commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I believe it was filmed. Hopefully it will pop up on Youtube soon.

• Mechanizor
                        Mechanizor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        A video would be indeed awesome to watch!

Very cool! That looks like it was great!
                      "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

Thanks for posting these pictures John, must have been a lot of fun!... Once question through, was that Point-Dread shown in the glass display the prototype or the final version?

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                          Captain Atkin commented
                          Editing a comment
                          As far as I know, it was the toy version. Mattel even gave us one to give to a lucky attendee as a prize for our draw at the show.

• Mechanizor
                          Mechanizor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks, I was investigating the scale, and it looked a little bigger than the one that was shown at the GraskullCon, so I wasn't sure what I was looking at!

Nice to know that Mattel was supportive of this event and HMW, and I hope relations would grow mutually in the future!...

In the display case, what is next to the artbook?
                        (2nd shelf; Underoos, artbook, ???)
                        “Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.” ~Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                          Captain Atkin commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That is a 2016 Calendar.

• Andy
                          Andy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ah, I see now. Thanx!

Are there any pics of the back of Snake Mountain? What does the interior look like?

Comment

Originally posted by Croc-O-Bite! View Post
                          Are there any pics of the back of Snake Mountain? What does the interior look like?
                          I was able to get a few. It was in a plexiglass box, so it was hard to get a good photo without some flash issues.

Comment

• Croc-O-Bite!
                            Croc-O-Bite! commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks a bunch Cap!

Daniel and Dave from THAT HASHTAG SHOW attended the screening of 1987’s Masters of the Universe movie. The guys talked to actors Anthony De Longis and Chelsea Field, and Director Gary Goddard.

Comment

• Mechanizor
                            Mechanizor commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It's good to see Harry Potter was there to!... Oh wait a sec!

Video from the Filmation panel. Alan Oppenheimer, Melendy Britt & more!

Comment

Here is the video of the panel with me speaking with toy designer Mark Taylor.

Comment

• Battle Ram Man
                              Battle Ram Man commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I'll be watching this today - can't wait. Thanks Cap!

Thanks for sharing these videos with us John, I've already enjoyed the Mark Taylor interview, and my favorite quote from him was:

".... And Mattel isn't good at handling things very carefully!"

Take it from the master himself for what it's worth!

Comment

Video of the 1987 movie panel. The Cast and Crew talk about what it was like working on the film, seeing it again after such a long time, explaining where Battle Cat and Orko are, and how the movie almost didn't get made. The Panel includes, Director Gary Goddard, Robert Towers - Karg, Teela - Chelsea Field, and Blade - Anthony DeLongis

Comment

Documentary panel discussion from the Hollywood premiere of TOY MASTERS.​ I spoke with the filmmakers... and a few surprise guests.

Captain Atkin – Moderator
                                Roger Lay Jr – Director
                                Corey Landis – Director
                                Mike Nichols – Editor/Post
                                Larry DiTillio – Filmation Writer
                                Brandon Moore – Composer
                                Scott "Toyguru" Neitlich – Toy Marketing

Comment

• Black Zodac
                                  Black Zodac commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I just finished watching the video. Watching you talk to Scott Neitlich on stage was a bit surreal. I take it he was the surprise guest? Did you know he was going to be part of their panel?

• Captain Atkin
                                  Captain Atkin commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Originally, it was just going to be a panel with Roger, Corey, and Mike. 5 minutes before the panel started, Roger told me that Larry DiTillio, Brandon Moore and Scott were going to join them on stage. So that was a surprise for me, but it all went well. Scott does not appear in the film, so I didn't really have many questions to ask him. They did film some stuff with him, but he was a Mattel employee at the time, and Mattel said that he could not be interviewed in the film as an employee of the company. Now that he no longer works for Mattel, it sounds like his interview well appear as a DVD extra.

• Mechanizor
                                  Mechanizor commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  So basically Scott wasn't invited, but he forced himself into the panel via other panel members!... What a gentleman he is!!!

Glad I wan't there, otherwise I would have yelled him, get the "f" out you self rightoius psycho and don't forget to take your lies with you!

Will this be a yearly event or anything?

This would be a great gathering to be shown the upcoming documentary. A perfect place to get a cross section of fans, and people behind the toys, cartoon, and movie.

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                                  Captain Atkin commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Doubtful that this would become a yearly event. With Power-Con also taking place in the LA area, it might be too much "HE-MAN" in one local area. There is a good chance though that we might do some more special screenings of the 1987 movie. I will be doing a special screening of the film in Toronto in mid-January 2016 (will announce more on that later).

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X