Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you enjoying MOTU: Revelations? (Spoilers inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• man-e-faces
    replied
    I enjoyed Revelations Part 2 as much - if not more than - Part 1. Excellent story & animation. I also like the homages to the '87 MOTU live-action film with the inclusion of Blade, etc.

I will write a more complete review later - once I re-watch Part 2.

Leave a comment:

• man-e-faces
    replied
    MOTU: Revelations was fantastic! Excellent cartoon, with superb animation! I really liked this take on the MOTU mythology. It's also definitely a lot less "childish" than the original Filmation series.

Lena Headey (Game of Thrones) was the perfect choice for Evil-Lyn's voice.

The new Moss Man was amazing; very interesting design & concept. This new take on the character reminded me a lot of Swamp Thing/Man Thing, but was still original.

The storyline was unique & unexpected; I liked how Teela had to form a temporary alliance with Evil-Lyn & Beast Man; I never would have seen that coming.

Orko was a serious & powerful character, instead of the comedic buffoon from the Filmation series.

Liked the "new" Teela look re: the more fit physique, the half-shaved head, etc. I also don't necessarily see her as much of an overt lesbian as many others do - but she definitely has a more "butch" look to her than in the original cartoon.

The "Skelgod" at the end was an obvious homage to the "Super Skeletor" at the end of the '87 MOTU film.

Nice inclusion of the "evil" vehicles from the '80's, including the Land Shark and the Bashasoraus. It was interesting how the LS got destroyed almost immediately

Leave a comment:

• Dark Angel
    replied
    Originally posted by Battle_Brak View Post

RT and Metacritic audience scores are notoriously unreliable since the trend of review bombing began. Scroll through those negative reviews and see how many of them actually note anything of substance about the show. Only a very small minority discuss the direction, writing, acting, or animation. Most of them are people just mad that a man was “sidelined” for a woman.
    RT removes or simply does not publish whatever they deem to be "review bombing," which is literally anything the creator or publisher says it is. Yet they still cannot crack a 40% Fresh rating - not even half. And I know they do not publish what they don't like firsthand.

As for "insufficiently in-depth reviews", I can say the exact same thing about the majority of the positive reviews. "I didn't know anything about the characters but it was good" is easily a third of the RT positive reviews in a nutshell.

Try to be objective instead of looking for what supports your feelings on the matter. You are allowed to like the show if that is what you feel - but regardless of what the internet says, objective reality still exists, and objective reality indicates there is pretty close to a 50/50 split on Revelations leaning heavily toward overall dislike.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Most of the complaints I have seen weren't just about a woman replacing a man. It was bitching that Teela was made to be unlikable and they didn't show enough of the battle that they teased in the trailer.

Leave a comment:

• Battle_Brak
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Angel View Post

Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic do not support your assertions. Not even remotely. Telling given that RT cannot even reach a 40% audience approval rating when they are known for trimming negative reviews.
    RT and Metacritic audience scores are notoriously unreliable since the trend of review bombing began. Scroll through those negative reviews and see how many of them actually note anything of substance about the show. Only a very small minority discuss the direction, writing, acting, or animation. Most of them are people just mad that a man was “sidelined” for a woman.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Angel
    replied
    At 37 I’m an “elder millennial”. I didn’t grow up with Filmation because it just wasn’t available on TV where I lived. So I got my lore from mini comics, the audio tapes and the Golden storybooks. But Ive been a fan since the original toyline.

I also got to see animatics and concept art really early on since I work on the brand. I just thought, “this is so awesome it will blow everyone away.”

It’s really only on boards like this that I see a lot of hatred. Every fan I know personally loved Revelation. So I almost have to feel like it’s a very loud minority drowning out other voices. Like seriously not a single fan I know in real life even said they were mildly disappointed. The consensus seems to be they nailed it. But on internet groups you’d think the entire fandom hates it.
    Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic do not support your assertions. Not even remotely. Telling given that RT cannot even reach a 40% audience approval rating when they are known for trimming negative reviews.

Leave a comment:

• Mechanizor
    replied

I meant the consensus amongst fans I know personally. I literally don’t know a single person who didn’t like it among my IRL friends. But I know there is a cultural and political component that has driven people to hate the show because of perceived agendas. And if that’s really all it boils down to I wouldn’t see those reactions personally.

I think it’s telling that RT opened audience reviews a couple hours early and hundreds of negative reviews poured in before the show was even up on Netflix. I also think the huge gulf between critics reviews and audience scores is telling.
    Yeah I get it, but your friends' opinions aren't necessarily a true measure of peoples' reactions about the show; at least online, and what I mean by online, is the various social media outlets including the YouTube comments, fan websites and forums, and of course it's all subjective IMO... Also in real life, people tend to hide their true feelings about certain issues or opinions just to avoid being labeled this and that, while online they can say whatever they wanna say especially when their true identities are hidden from the public and they're not subjected to censorship or trolling!

I think we'd know sooner or later how this show will measure up especially in the toy isles because that its true objective; selling toys, specifically the Revelation line!

As for the Rotten Tomatoes's critics ratings, I think they're often unbalanced and sometimes don't make a lot sense; to me at least, but then again, I rate things based on my own personal taste. For example I saw a lot of hate in regards to the new Netflix MOTU 3D series already (Just from that little trailer alone!), however I really liked what I saw so far and I'm looking forward to it, but that doesn't mean I must be right and everyone is wrong!

Thanks again for sharing your opinion here, it makes this place a little more interesting, that's for sure, and hopefully you keep on posting.

Leave a comment:

• Battle_Brak
    replied
    Originally posted by Mechanizor View Post
    Wether you agree with the internet or not, it's still an extension of the fandom to a certain degree... Forget the opinions of forums like this one where hardcore fans normally resides, what about the opinions of the Rotten Tomatoes audience and their ratings for example?

I'm not saying the internet is always a true reflection of the reality, but it certainly can be when there is a popular opinion from the people who've followed the source material for quite sometime... You say the consensus says that they've nailed it, what consensus may I ask, and what type of data that was collected and gathered to reach such a conclusion?

I'm just curios... Because I've worked also on certain IPs in the toy industry, and what I've seen and experienced was an eye opener for sure!
    I meant the consensus amongst fans I know personally. I literally don’t know a single person who didn’t like it among my IRL friends. But I know there is a cultural and political component that has driven people to hate the show because of perceived agendas. And if that’s really all it boils down to I wouldn’t see those reactions personally.

I think it’s telling that RT opened audience reviews a couple hours early and hundreds of negative reviews poured in before the show was even up on Netflix. I also think the huge gulf between critics reviews and audience scores is telling.

Leave a comment:

• Mechanizor
    replied
    It’s really only on boards like this that I see a lot of hatred. Every fan I know personally loved Revelation. So I almost have to feel like it’s a very loud minority drowning out other voices. Like seriously not a single fan I know in real life even said they were mildly disappointed. The consensus seems to be they nailed it. But on internet groups you’d think the entire fandom hates it.
    Wether you agree with the internet or not, it's still an extension of the fandom to a certain degree... Forget the opinions of forums like this one where hardcore fans normally resides, what about the opinions of the Rotten Tomatoes audience and their ratings for example?

I'm not saying the internet is always a true reflection of the reality, but it certainly can be when there is a popular opinion from the people who've followed the source material for quite sometime... You say the consensus says that they've nailed it, what consensus may I ask, and what type of data that was collected and gathered to reach such a conclusion?

I'm just curios... Because I've worked also on certain IPs in the toy industry, and what I've seen and experienced was an eye opener for sure!

Leave a comment:

• Battle_Brak
    replied
    At 37 I’m an “elder millennial”. I didn’t grow up with Filmation because it just wasn’t available on TV where I lived. So I got my lore from mini comics, the audio tapes and the Golden storybooks. But Ive been a fan since the original toyline.

I also got to see animatics and concept art really early on since I work on the brand. I just thought, “this is so awesome it will blow everyone away.”

Leave a comment:

• Mechanizor
    replied

I mean 200X is what it is. I loved the toys and redesigns, but the show was kind of typical of the MYP style and I didn’t care for any of their cartoons. I wasn’t a fan of the simplistic storytelling, a lot of the voices annoyed me, and I hated the incessant weapons spinning and cheesy fight animations. But to put it simply it’s not the sort of thing I can watch and enjoy as an adult. Revelation is.

And it did something no other He-man related cartoon has done. It made me care about the characters. To me there’s just nothing comparable. This is the first time I feel like the property was done justice in animation. It hits the mark so perfectly for me I really can’t get not liking it. So the backlash has been head scratching.

And I think I don’t get it because I didn’t grow up with Filmation, and didn’t like it when I saw it as an adult. So I guess it’s kind of like asking people why they don’t enjoy a piece of great cinema when their favorite movie (nom ironically) is The Room. And it’s something I haven’t witnessed in other fandoms. Like TF fans love the designs and lore of G1 but will also be the first to tell you the original cartoon is pretty awful in many ways. Same with G.I. Joe.

But MOTU fans are so hung up on purity to that original cartoon. I almost feel like the nostalgia is so strong it makes doing anything decent with the property a futile effort. Because the original show is so bad that anything with a legitimate plot, stakes, or believable character personalities is going to be seen as “crapping on it.” Because yeah characters would never behave realistically in Filmation. It’s saccharine and aimed at 5 year olds. So yeah THAT Randor would hug it out with the man who kept a secret from him and put his son in danger that eventually lead to his death, rather than banish him. Those characters would never do these things because they are completely unrealistic and have zero depth or personality.
    Thanks again for sharing your elaborated thoughts with us Battle_Brak... However, I think Revelation part one could've been written and directed better to please more viewers IMHO, and I think the plot was very rushed and smothered with some lazy writing especially at the very beginning for them to reach the intended objective... Nonetheless, I'm still holding my final judgment until I see part two.

I personally didn't grow up watching the Filmation MOTU show either, and when I got the big DVD set 12-13 years or so, I thought it was a little silly for my taste, and it didn't represent what I've enjoyed in the mini comics when I was a kid, however I've enjoyed very much the colorful backgrounds and some of the rotoscoped actions in it. MYP/200X was a lot closer to what Ive imagined MOTU would be. That said, I can see why the majority of the fans of both series were angry and disgruntled with Revelation!

BTW, I haven't encountered that many people who disliked the original G1 Transformers and original G.I. Joe cartoons! But then again, I normally don't engage with that many Millennials and Zoomers discussing the 80's shows, toys and music!

Leave a comment:

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    They say (Entertainment Weekly) the second part is already done and ready for Netflix to release it whenever they see fit, probably before the end of the year!... And who knows, probably when the new 3D animated flick is out on Sep-16th?

• Dark Angel
    replied
    So how much longer is Netflix planning to drag this failure out? When will the last few episodes be released? I'm mostly looking forward to it ending so we can put the whole nightmare behind us...

Leave a comment:

• Battle_Brak
    replied
    Originally posted by Mechanizor View Post
    I'm glad to see people like you are enjoying it and not shying about it, however don't you think the MYP/200X show already gave such spotlights for the surrounding characters in every episode? (assuming that you've watched it)

From what I remember, characters like Orko, Man-E-Faces, Buzz-Off, Ram Man, Teela, Evil-Lyn, Stratos, Mechanek, Stratos, Trap Jaw, Two-Bad, Whiplash, Roboto, Stinkor, Tri-Klops, Beast Man, Mer Man, Clawful, King Grayskull, King Hssss and his snake men, Kobra Khan, Zodak, Keldor, and Adam just to name some (besides the main two characters of course) all had episodes dedicated to them elaborating on their backgrounds and their dilemmas...

I think what Revelation is doing is rather focusing on the dramatic aspect of the story by a lead character or two, and have their journey or quest showcases the other characters as elements of this adventure of theirs.
    Of course that could change after the bombastic negative feedback we've seen from the audience thus far!... And now a lot of the YT reviewers started comparing the show to The Last Jedi movie!

Aside from the controversial story and some character designs, I believe the animation itself is great and beautiful to watch. I've started my second viewing of the show and honestly I'm getting more into it, enjoying the art details and climatic shots.
    I mean 200X is what it is. I loved the toys and redesigns, but the show was kind of typical of the MYP style and I didn’t care for any of their cartoons. I wasn’t a fan of the simplistic storytelling, a lot of the voices annoyed me, and I hated the incessant weapons spinning and cheesy fight animations. But to put it simply it’s not the sort of thing I can watch and enjoy as an adult. Revelation is.

And it did something no other He-man related cartoon has done. It made me care about the characters. To me there’s just nothing comparable. This is the first time I feel like the property was done justice in animation. It hits the mark so perfectly for me I really can’t get not liking it. So the backlash has been head scratching.

And I think I don’t get it because I didn’t grow up with Filmation, and didn’t like it when I saw it as an adult. So I guess it’s kind of like asking people why they don’t enjoy a piece of great cinema when their favorite movie (nom ironically) is The Room. And it’s something I haven’t witnessed in other fandoms. Like TF fans love the designs and lore of G1 but will also be the first to tell you the original cartoon is pretty awful in many ways. Same with G.I. Joe.

But MOTU fans are so hung up on purity to that original cartoon. I almost feel like the nostalgia is so strong it makes doing anything decent with the property a futile effort. Because the original show is so bad that anything with a legitimate plot, stakes, or believable character personalities is going to be seen as “crapping on it.” Because yeah characters would never behave realistically in Filmation. It’s saccharine and aimed at 5 year olds. So yeah THAT Randor would hug it out with the man who kept a secret from him and put his son in danger that eventually lead to his death, rather than banish him. Those characters would never do these things because they are completely unrealistic and have zero depth or personality.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    commented on 's reply
    I can't wait for honest trailers to do Revelations

• Dark Angel
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, Relevalations certainly perverted my expiations - we can at least agree on that!

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    That was hilarious.

• Andy
    replied
    https://youtu.be/wzxVeOVSrD8

Sly Stallone does not approve..

Leave a comment:

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    Ah, that's the same article Andy has provided a link to yesterday above in the same thread. So no need for me to repeat what I said!

But yeah it's frustrating to see how those Holywood people constantly operate, just like all the other jerks around.

• Andy
    commented on 's reply
    He's been talking like a shill for a while now. Claimed to have watched Filmation a year before it even came out.

So what if a good percentage don't like Revelations..Kevin still got his Netflix money so he can make Clerks 3. (I'd have preferred Mallrats 2 but the point is stop treating fans like they are beneath you because they aren't giving you a Mooby trophy for Revelations)

• Dark Angel
    commented on 's reply
    In the very article I linked, he has doubled back to not being a fan and only watching the original cartoon because he was the kind of kid that would watch any cartoon.

• Andy
    commented on 's reply
    I'm still a Kevin Smith fan but he really needs to stop attacking fans. We're all fans whether we liked Revelations or not. Some of us don't like Filmation or New Adventures or even Son of He-man but that doesn't make any of us any less of a fan. He doesn't have a lot of room to talk about true fans when he's claimed to be a superfan and there's plenty of evidence saying that MotU wasn't really his jam..

• Dark Angel
    replied
    New Variety article about the show and the backlash, in which Smith plays the "No True Fan" card:

“It’s been interesting, seeing who truly is a hardcore fan,” he said. “Because anybody that’s like, ‘Oh, man, there’s not enough He-Man’ or something like that, doesn’t understand the show that we based it on.
    So that's...infuriating.

Also, Smith and others involved with the show are trying again to tell us it isn't what it appears to be and we will all just love the second half. Which only serves to make me wonder just how bad it is going to get.

Kevin Smith Made Netflix’s ‘Masters of the Universe: Revelation’ Specifically to Please ‘He-Man’ Fans. Some Got Mad Anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    Amen to that...

• Mechanizor
    commented on 's reply
    I agree with both of your arguments...

Any "neutral" hardcore fan with some writing skills and a little bit of imagination could've done a better story IMHO.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X